Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match: Cheltenham 1-0 Charlton

Comments

• not been to either game so far this season so will reserve judgement until after Saturday..........

however , I will say that this is the lowest I have ever felt supporting this club , There are so may things wrong about the team I dont know where to start- lack of creativity, no squad depth, too many youngsters/too many aging players ( how many players in their prime do we have, ie between the ages of 25-30)

I learnt something new this week....in fact, 2.

Firstly I have lived on the s/r London & Kent border all my life (Bexley, Dartford,Gravesend,....) and have spent many years commuting into London. On Monday I had to see a client in E London. Stratford to be precise. Usually I drive to appts but this time I thought I would try the train. couldn't believe it. it took just 11 mins to get there from Ebbsfleet !! it takes that long to get to Dartford from nearby Gravesend ffs

that then led to the second point........the Olympic park - mores specifically, West Ham,. Couldn't believe how close it was to the station I have a premiership ground virtually on my doorstep - no parking problems, no train delays
    and (I would expect) plenty of available tickets.

sorry chaps,,,,I know where I will be going if we sink any lower.

Roger Johnson was right about you.
  • Was t 'stool' referred to at the post match interview Roger Johnson?
  • What does this mean from Slade;

Q: Onto Saturday, how important is it that the fans are behind you?

RS: "Massive, we want to make it into a real fortress, but at the minute we are where we are, but there are facts that don’t help us."

• Rob7Lee said:

What does this mean from Slade;

Q: Onto Saturday, how important is it that the fans are behind you?

RS: "Massive, we want to make it into a real fortress, but at the minute we are where we are, but there are facts that don’t help us."

The facts are we are shit from top to bottom. So fair point 'that don't help us'.
  • 'Facts' have never got in Katrien's way.
  • Fast becoming a non league club with football league ambitions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Three things.
    First, arrival at the ground, the sign outside the ground said "next match Charlton Athletic" and the date. On leaving it said "Doncaster Rovers" and a new date. You see Meire, attention to detail, it's how to run a club.
    Second, didn't go to Bury so can't compare but that wasn't all that bad, compact, good work ethic. But no cutting edge. Bit like watching a development squad match. If we can keep that team together we should avoid relegation*.
    Third, comments on the players: fair play to Rudd, talking with the fans, midfield so, so slow, Croft woeful passing, some of the team are so small they helped Munns to blend in.

* From League Two, next season.
  • To be fair, if Louis had asked Curbs those questions in this situation he'd have got a similar response. Curbs was never slow to bite back at any question that he felt implied criticism or put him under any pressure. It's what managers do to make it difficult for reporters to ask hard questions in public and why many don't bother. Fair play to Louis though. He was spot on.

What we should take from that is that behind the veneer of calm, Slade is feeling the pressure, which is no surprise.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Curbs was ever in the situation that Brussels finds himself.
  • Blucher said:

As others have emphasised, the core problem with the team is in central midfield, where we are one-paced, unable to run with the ball and completely lacking in any creativity. To compound matters, Jacko and Crofts were not even effective in closing down the opposition, with a number of Cheltenham players running straight through us and directly at our back four with impunity. Crofts had a better second half but his distribution in the early part of the game was bloody awful. This key area of the team needs to be addressed as an absolute priority or we are very soon going to find ourselves in the lower reaches of League 1, looking over our shoulders.

Sadly, I'm fairly sure we are there already...
  • Was pretty rough listening to it and following the match thread last night. But woken up with a new vigour.

Bring on Saturday and the first opportunity to shout loudly at the board room window in a while. I have missed this, I have a lot of pent up anger to release!

These people will never win! No matter how long it takes or how painful it is we will remove them from out club! There is no outcome possible where they win this war.

They may own the football club on paper but without the support of the fans that paper isn't worth wiping your arse with.

Charlton fans will never stop until we have removed this poison from our club and we will never, ever support them. They will fail, they will leave and we will win this war.

Blimey canters what cereal do you have for breakfast?

seriously though, I hope you're right as I'm not so positive
  • Sponsored links:

• Was pretty rough listening to it and following the match thread last night. But woken up with a new vigour.

Bring on Saturday and the first opportunity to shout loudly at the board room window in a while. I have missed this, I have a lot of pent up anger to release!

These people will never win! No matter how long it takes or how painful it is we will remove them from out club! There is no outcome possible where they win this war.

They may own the football club on paper but without the support of the fans that paper isn't worth wiping your arse with.

Charlton fans will never stop until we have removed this poison from our club and we will never, ever support them. They will fail, they will leave and we will win this war.

Blimey canters what cereal do you have for breakfast?

seriously though, I hope you're right as I'm not so positive
    Cereal or surreyal
  • Charlton, team of the future...every year
  • edited August 2016
    I really hope Cheltenham get promoted this season. Because I don't fancy our chances against them in the league next season.
  • not been to either game so far this season so will reserve judgement until after Saturday..........

however , I will say that this is the lowest I have ever felt supporting this club , There are so may things wrong about the team I dont know where to start- lack of creativity, no squad depth, too many youngsters/too many aging players ( how many players in their prime do we have, ie between the ages of 25-30)

Firstly I have lived on the s/r London & Kent border all my life (Bexley, Dartford,Gravesend,....) and have spent many years commuting into London. On Monday I had to see a client in E London. Stratford to be precise. Usually I drive to appts but this time I thought I would try the train. couldn't believe it. it took just 11 mins to get there from Ebbsfleet !! it takes that long to get to Dartford from nearby Gravesend ffs

that then led to the second point........the Olympic park - mores specifically, West Ham,. Couldn't believe how close it was to the station I have a premiership ground virtually on my doorstep - no parking problems, no train delays

Classy.
    Whats the expression? Oh yes, 'I'll drive you to the station myself".
    Typical Premiership Johnny come lately fan.
  • Rudd was quite involved in taking to fans behind the goal after the game. He seems a good character.

because it's just dwning on him that his reputation is at risk being at Charlton. When a team finishes the league on -XX goals and regularly loses games, people will judge the keeper, whether he is half decent or not!
  • Absolutely dreading the Millwall games already and I mean more than usual.

I'm sure you'll have a different manager by then and a more optimistic outlook.
    Plenty of time for at least a couple of interims.

Which part of "there are so may things wrong about the team I dont know where to start- lack of creativity, no squad depth, too many youngsters/too many aging players ( how many players in their prime do we have, ie between the ages of 25-30)" is reserving judgment until after Saturday?

;-)