Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match: Cheltenham 1-0 Charlton

Comments

• "Sorry Russell, that was really rude of me to ask. You told me three days ago we'd sign players within two days, so it was wrong of me to ask you for an update. Instead, can I ask you about how you think the results are going so far, Russell? Russell? Hello..?"
  • What a twat at the end there Slade.
  • I genuinely thought we had bottomed out but it's pretty obvious that our descent will continue under Duchatelet. The whole club feels broken now and I include the supporters in that. I really have no idea where this will all end.

On a personal note I think I'm going to swerve Charlton now. It's such a pity as this would have probably been my last season where I could get to matches regularly. 55 years a supporter and I now really hardly care. Thanks for that Duchatelet.

• edited August 2016
    We will see what, if any, deal we get over the line, and who it is, and whether Louis is right to be more pessimistic than Slade on the hiring front.

Slade is, after all, paid to be optimistic.

What surprised me was that they were discussing ONE signing, I hope the rest of the interview displays we are seriously in for more before end August.

* Edited to add better grammar
  • Sponsored links:

• Well that was as poor as you can get. No heart, hapless, hopeless, without a clue as to how to break down a limited but determined league 2 side. The only two who came out with credit were Rudd who showed some urgency and commitment and Holmes who worked hard. The rest a complete mess. Midfield was lacking and outmuscled all game. Little service up front, and Hanlan doesn't look ready. Ajose didn't really look interested. Defence struggled to deal with a physical team. Overall, saw very little quality in anything we did.

I am not convinced how good Slade is and I haven't been all through preseason. Even less so now that we have reached competitive games. He talks a good talk, but seems to be very limited in how to change things to make a difference. Substitutions made little sense.

But in the end this all comes back to the lack of investment and a management that doesn't know how to run a football club. Until that changes this nonsense will continue.
  • Brusselslaid, Brusselslaid,
    Sits in the sun and drinks lemonade,
    Disinterested, disinclined,
    Whilst others get the best ones signed,
    Bruxelleslaid, Bruxellslaid,
    Underworked and overpaid.
  • Just back from the game. I'm very glad I'm only 30 minutes or so from the ground, and I feel for the rest of the fans making their way back down the M4. The first thing to say is that we have serious problems in our midfield. We played a team division below us and they had the better of us in the midfield all night. I can barely remember a forward pass, everything either went backwards or out wide. We have no creativity in there whatsoever.

Ricky Holmes was clearly our only hope of creating something, but it can't all be left to him. Lookman did ok in the first half with some nice turns but it's clear that he is not a 'proper' winger like Holmes. This is the first time I've seen Ricky play and I was impressed. His work rate was top notch and it wasn't unusual to see him pop up on either wing trying to get some crosses in. Once he went off, it was obvious we were not going to get back into it.

I watched all of Ajose's goals last season on the You Tube vid. Unless we get some players in who can slip the ball through the opponents defence or at the very least give him the ball at his feet, he will struggle to get goals. Time and again the balls were being pumped long and high and he just can't get hold of those, it's a waste of time having him in the team if that's the way we are going to play. Our best move of the game came from a series of decent passes and Ajose eventually got on the end of it and scored. The linesman called it offside, but I wasn't convinced. He did go close on a couple of other occasions, and probably should have scored, but overall the service to him was awful.

I think Hanlan and Konsa showed that they aren't ready. Konsa did a bit better than Hanlan overall but both looked out of their depth. Pearce is definitely going to be a first choice, and I really hope Bauer gets back soon as Johnson isn't good enough either. The subs did little when they came on, JJ was well off his game, I don't know if it's his age or he just didn't get into the game, but he was below par, though the effort was still there as you'd expect.

All in all I thought we were outfought by a team that is high in confidence. After winning promotion last season, they had a decent pre-season only losing to Sheff United and AFC Dons. They looked like a unit and were not afraid to get stuck in. It was a deserved win.

Sounds identical to Saturday.
  • Slade's one of them - he's fallen for Katrien's lies & he knows it
  • edited August 2016

Breaking point is close, somethings got to give. The squad is pathetic, they haven't learnt any lessons and they don't seem to care. I just don't understand what they are trying to achieve.

Every week when the scores come in I ask myself 'where do we go from here..?'

The only answer to that can be to drive them from this club and humiliate them as much as possible in the process. I am so disgusted with what they are doing to our club.

22 days more left of the transfer window. If the squad isn't large enough and good enough by the end of the month, then I think that is when we'll be at breaking point.
  • Why didn't Novak feature? And did Russ play Hanlan to force KM into pushing through a deal for Josh Magennis?
  • Sad thing is, I'm not even surprised we lost.

Top 6 budget? Dont think so Katrien.
  • Sponsored links:

• That's pure frustration. Not right, but it wasn't exactly Roger Johnson territory.
  • Time to bring in Nobby Vinegar.

I think it's Guy's turn next (again)
  • Well I was half expecting a narrow win or at worst a draw and going out on pens. How wrong I was.

Another solid bit of proof that the SMT at Charlton have ruined OUR club. The people who still believe in KM and RD must be able to be counted on one hand.

How low can we go? I dread to think.
  • That's pure frustration. Not right, but it wasn't exactly Roger Johnson territory.

No, but it's s worrying trend. The managers who cared for this club in the past wouldn't have answered a question like that (from a fan especially) and they certainly wouldn't have stood for Johnsons antics.
  • 3blokes said:

If there was ever an indication that absolutely nothing has changed, it is Lookman playing this whole game because there were scouts there and it was window display time.
    And yet he only played 20 mins v Bury.
    Who names your team Russell, because it does not look much like it is you.
    And IF by some miracle it is, exactly what are you doing?

Russ probably thinks Charlton looks good on his CV. He's just a few years behind the times
  • edited August 2016
    Valley11 said:

Why didn't Novak feature? And did Russ play Hanlan to force KM into pushing through a deal for Josh Magennis?

Sold...edit UNDISCLOSED
  • MarkyE83 said:

Slade has done himself no favours in that interview. Should be taking it out on the board, not a stalwart Charlton reporter.

Why would he? This is a 'man' who was happy to take a job from this scum - he knew exactly what the drill is.
  • I really am all up for "Support the team, not the regime" but when Slade follows up RoJo's bullshit on Saturday with that to Louis today it makes it really fucking difficult to distinguish the two.

They do themselves no favours.

I wasn't pissed off - I am now.

Have always said that supporting the team IS supporting the regime, sadly.