Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Didn't take long - Marseille ain't changed.

Comments

• Options
    Is that 22cm wing span and 18cm nose to tail?

(For an accountant my maths is getting worse every year but I looked it up and they were roughly 11m wingspan and 9m long)
  • Options

If people genuinely think the locals only attacked cos of that song (which most probably didn't hear anyway) then I give up.

You realise think kind of thing (locals attaching us) happens at lots of England away games and is never ever reported..... Until England are in big numbers at a tournament and react.

Think poor Millwall fans have the same problems whenever they travel to away games.
    How many times have you followed England away?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Fucking pond life (edit: The video, obviously!)
  • Options
    Redskin said:

If people genuinely think the locals only attacked cos of that song (which most probably didn't hear anyway) then I give up.

You realise think kind of thing (locals attaching us) happens at lots of England away games and is never ever reported..... Until England are in big numbers at a tournament and react.

Think poor Millwall fans have the same problems whenever they travel to away games.

None. Being to a few home games. Spending a few hours on the tube and in a stadium surrounded by moronic violent racists is bad enough. Do you really think I would want to subject myself to more than that?
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Our fans are Never any trouble, it's all provoked by the police, it's never our fault, we're the real victims here
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Redskin said:

None. Being to a few home games. Spending a few hours on the tube and in a stadium surrounded by moronic violent racists is bad enough. Do you really think I would want to subject myself to more than that?
    I thought not, and yet you jump at the chance to equate England fans' behaviour with that out of Charlton Life's favourite whipping boys , Millwall, although I imagine your real experience of their behaviour is as equally non-existent as that of yours with England away fans.

You just suck it up as easily as those you look down your nose on.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redskin said:

Redskin said:

I thought not, and yet you jump at the chance to equate England fans' behaviour with that out of Charlton Life's favourite whipping boys , Millwall, although I imagine your real experience of their behaviour is as equally non-existent as that of yours with England away fans.

You just suck it up as easily as those you look down your nose on.

I have never followed Millwall at an away game. I have being to the Old Den and the New Den about 20 times in total. So not quite non-existent.

I haven't a clue what you mean in that last sentence?
  • Options

Redskin said:

But what was the negatives?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

WSS said:
    Our fans are Never any trouble, it's all provoked by the police, it's never our fault, we're the real victims here
    Great analysis from one 30 second video, Sammy
  • Options
    How the duck did that fire start in the bar?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

WSS said:
    To be fair, and I was givingEngland fans a hard time earlier, that video shows maybe 4 or 5 boys being utter idiots. There's probably 20,000 English out there right now. Charlton have a much higher than 5:20,0000 ratio of idiots so I'm not going to get too critical based on that.
    I can think of 5 without even trying eh Se9
  • Options

se9addick said:

WSS said:
    To be fair, and I was givingEngland fans a hard time earlier, that video shows maybe 4 or 5 boys being utter idiots. There's probably 20,000 English out there right now. Charlton have a much higher than 5:20,0000 ratio of idiots so I'm not going to get too critical based on that.
    I can think of 5 without even trying eh Se9
    You, him, me... there surely aren't two more ;)
  • Options
    I've got 6 mates out there in three separate groups at the moment. None of them can make much sense of it in terms of blame at the moment. One of them sent over a photo of them this afternoon with four of the locals having a drink - said there was no issue anonymity and he was loving Marseille and the locals. To be fair one of the locals was wearing an Arsenal shirt and my mate is Arsenal, so they probably bonded over Giroud's haircut, but still.

Sounds like when they got there yesterday they had been drinking at the bar with first big publicized scrap for a couple of hours and sensed it was going South so they headed on to the next bar before it kicked off. From what they could make out there were chants aimed at some locals, who took issues with it, went and got 'the boys' (or should that be le garcons), the police went in full steam and it went on from there.

I've yet to get anything back from them after today's fun and games. Not sure what to make of the videos I've seen. The bar on fire video seems fairly indefensible, and the bottling of police as well is hard to defend. But then all it takes is a couple of arseholes hiding in a crowd of 500 to throw enough bottles cause an issue. Chances are 490 of them just suddenly found themselves in a situation that went sour, and rather than break away from the crowd, which seems an easy way to get yourself flattened by the police, just stayed put and ended up in a face off with police.

And I'm not even going to go into the Russians getting involved. God knows how things are going to go down after tomorrow's game

• Options
    Pretty much as soon as I've written that one of my mates has text me saying the 'fire' was actually a flare thrown into the bar by one of the Marseille ultras. I guess it explains why it's so aggressively bright and they don't seem concerned/there's no alarms etc and why they are screaming in anger at something off-screen. Funny how perceptions change.
  • Options

Bring back the birch.

I've been going to football matches following, admittedly Charlton since 1961. Lots of the away games I went to were in the seventies when football hooliganism was at its height.

I've never been punched. Thrown a punch or when a ruck broke out, never been able not to get involved.

Those shown in the videos are violent, moronic, ill educated, scum of the earth and they embarrass me.

Police or locals started it.

the_gower said:

Pretty much as soon as I've written that one of my mates has text me saying the 'fire' was actually a flare thrown into the bar by one of the Marseille ultras. I guess it explains why it's so aggressively bright and they don't seem concerned/there's no alarms etc and why they are screaming in anger at something off-screen. Funny how perceptions change.

It's a good thing you were so fast to get on that high horse.
  • Options

Most of you know I am a very liberally minded lefty type, I have no problem with Muslims whatsoever. But if I were a moderate Muslim in Marseilles for the next couple of days I would simply avoid the areas where the football fans are - why go along mob handed to a bar (when you don't drink) in order to be offended? If you know you are the type that will fly off the handle if "provoked", stay away.

Absolutely, avoid the areas where they live and frequent because a load of ignorant idiots, whose buffoonery is exasperated at the mere whiff of a tasteless Stella, are in town!!

It's embarrassing!!
    Apologies, I didn't realise that the bar in which the England fans were attacked was in a Muslim area.
  • Options

Police or locals started it.

Is the first accurate comment you've made so far