Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Didn't take long - Marseille ain't changed.

Comments

• Options
    rina said:

From Skynews

23:01
    FIGHTING IN NICE

The AFP news agency are reporting that Northern Ireland fans have been drawn into fighting in Nice.

According to a Northern Ireland police officer accompanying fans at the scene, French riot police moved in after local Nice youths hurled bottles at Northern Ireland supporters in cafes near the central Place Massena.

"About 20 to 30 Nice youths started throwing bottles at the Northern Ireland fans. Some bottles were thrown back, some punches were thrown," the officer said.

"French police arrived to contain the situation."

French youths. Again.
    French police late to react. Again.

How many more times will we have to say "again", considering this is only day 2?

Genuinely, if there's been a fan murdered on the metro and two fighting for their lives in hospital right now then perhaps we should look at withdrawing. The French appear to be completely inept, and setting this precedent may cast a light on the utter idiocy of hosting a World Cup in Russia.
  • Options

Rumours circulating of an England fan being thrown under a Metro train and pronounced dead on the scene

It's being circulated by a "journalist" from the "Forest Echo News". A fake news outlet that I thought were content with having fun starting bullsh*t transfer rumours, but apparently they can sink another level.
    FFS...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    British ambassador to France in tweet below. Thankfully.

I hate that Forest echo News shite.

Edit: obviously I hope she is ok, and it has nothing to do with the football.
  • Options
    Yeah ok but this still sucks.

The French are supposed to be on high alert for terrorist attacks, their forces may be stretched but so far also seem inept.

You try this shit in the UK now and you'll have the horses in in virtually no time. Probably have the army in during the group stages as for the olympics when G4 blatantly couldn't handle it.
  • Options
    Dan Roan was just saying on BBC NEWS that the loud bang before the final whistle and just as the Russian fans stormed into the neutral/England area looks like it was a stunning grenade type device
  • Options
    Used by who? The security or the Russians?
  • Options

Yeah ok but this still sucks.

The French are supposed to be on high alert for terrorist attacks, their forces may be stretched but so far also seem inept.

You try this shit in the UK now and you'll have the horses in in virtually no time. Probably have the army in during the group stages as for the olympics when G4 blatantly couldn't handle it.

Interesting article on the French police tactics here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/10/french-police-tactics-marseille-more-euro-2016-violence-expert?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Think a game in the former Yugoslavia ignited tensions at the outset of the Balkans conflict (I vaguely remember Boban fly kicking a fan) and I'm sure I read once there was a civil war somewhere like Peru decades back that was sparked by a football match.

I think the Yugoslavia match was Dinamo Zagreb v Red Star Belgrade

And the Latin American war was between El Salvador and either Honduras or Nicaragua (whichever one borders El Salvador)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Glad you're OK Weegie. Hope tomorrow is a better day.
  • Options
    Complete agree @alwaysneil and I i didn't mean to disregard everything else that's happened over the past few days.

I'm going out to marseille for a week on Tuesday. Not seeing any England games. have been looking forward to it for months and now I'm getting nervous about having beers in the sun with my mates. This is 2016 ffs.

Stay safe all those out there.
  • Options

Safely back where we are staying now but never been so scared in 40+ years of following football. Always taken the view that you are very unlikely to find trouble if you don't go looking for it but not the case today. We watched Wales match in Bar about 15/20 mins walk on main route to stadium. As we set off from the bar we saw an ominous black clad group marching up the street behind us. We moved over to the side then watched in horror as they ran past, now with masks over their faces and jumped on an England fan whose only 'crime' was to be draped in a flag.

Palace Ultras gone continental?

Only joking Weegie, hope you're ok.
  • Options
    Where were the police inside the ground!
  • Options
    I went to Marseille for 98 World Cup and probably the scariest place I have ever been for a game! The local arab youth were attacking the English and then the French right wing were attacking the Arabs. Why on earth would they put England there again?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The lack of segregation in that ground was a serious serious serious lack of judgement by those in charge. I know they had a lot to think about but it's simple, segregate fans as much as possible to limit the chances of any problems.

Worrying scenes as we are yet to get this tournament really under way - the French local yobs aren't helping matters at all by hitting and running, that then brings the Police in (late) who then can only turn to the victims of the attack which turns into a dispute between these sides.

Complete chaos.
  • Options
    Apart from the usual Trafalgar Square stuff, does anyone remember any trouble over here in '96 from foreign fans? Liverpool is our Marseille I guess, I don't recal anything.
  • Options
    UEFA looking at sanctions for Russia, think it'd be dangerous to let them remain in the competition at this point expecially with England fans being in Lille on Thursday the night after Russia play there. Will no doubt kick off again.
  • Options

UEFA looking at sanctions for Russia, think it'd be dangerous to let them remain in the competition at this point expecially with England fans being in Lille on Thursday the night after Russia play there. Will no doubt kick off again.

Where is the next World Cup...?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

The lack of segregation in that ground was a serious serious serious lack of judgement by those in charge. I know they had a lot to think about but it's simple, segregate fans as much as possible to limit the chances of any problems.

Worrying scenes as we are yet to get this tournament really under way - the French local yobs aren't helping matters at all by hitting and running, that then brings the Police in (late) who then can only turn to the victims of the attack which turns into a dispute between these sides.

Complete chaos.

it was criminally negligent and completely avoidable.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

rina said:

From Skynews

23:01
    FIGHTING IN NICE

The AFP news agency are reporting that Northern Ireland fans have been drawn into fighting in Nice.

According to a Northern Ireland police officer accompanying fans at the scene, French riot police moved in after local Nice youths hurled bottles at Northern Ireland supporters in cafes near the central Place Massena.

"About 20 to 30 Nice youths started throwing bottles at the Northern Ireland fans. Some bottles were thrown back, some punches were thrown," the officer said.

"French police arrived to contain the situation."

French youths. Again.
    French police late to react. Again.

How many more times will we have to say "again", considering this is only day 2?

Genuinely, if there's been a fan murdered on the metro and two fighting for their lives in hospital right now then perhaps we should look at withdrawing. The French appear to be completely inept, and setting this precedent may cast a light on the utter idiocy of hosting a World Cup in Russia.
    On 5Live now, local Police in Nice say there was no trouble between N Ireland and Polish fans and local French hooligans were 100% responsible for starting agro.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Hopefully Addicks in France won't need it, but just in case, the Foreign Office have tweeted
    "Brits in France needing consular support can get in touch with the Embassy 24hrs a day on +33 1 4451 3100"
  • Options
    I don't believe any of this shite. It was all England fans I tell ye.