Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton determined to go British as they target Wilder - SLP

Comments

• 'We want you to come and be manager at Charlton.'
    'Will I have a transfer budget?'
    'No'
    'Will I be able to bring in the players I want and build a team'
    'Usually Roland will find better players than the ones you wanted for you and you will play them.'
    'The support of a strong CEO.'
    Ah I see you've done 20 seconds research on the club.
  • Essex_Al said:

I'd love to see him come based on what I have just read here. The b side is I cannot see why he would leave Northampton in the first place, and moreover, can't imagine him wanting to work for a football moron like Dushitalet or a pathological liar like Katrien. RD needs to learn that while he may have money, his tightfistedness and 'hands on' ownership mean most managers would steer clear. Tell him to ask Riga about life under Roland.

Ken, putting aside the regime for a second, the B side is that any manager wanting to progress through the ranks would find Charlton a very attractive proposition as opposed to Northampton!
    Under any normal circumstances yes. Any manager in the bracket you mention would also know that in order to progress their career a degree of success would be required.

I really do think most would think twice before agreeing to no player recruitment input. That's the problem and why people like Wilder will tell us to do one.

I think Meire and Duchatelet are going to be surprised just how hard recruiting a Brit might be.

• Unless they really are going to change their ways, I agree wholeheartedly SHG.
  • I will have serious doubts about any manager that takes the Charlton job under this regime.

They'd have to be desperate, stupid or an RD puppet/yes man (or a combination of the three).

Depressing.

Or over-promoted to the extent that the job becomes just too good an opportunity to turn down.
  • Gillis said:

I will have serious doubts about any manager that takes the Charlton job under this regime.

They'd have to be desperate, stupid or an RD puppet/yes man (or a combination of the three).

Depressing.

Or over-promoted to the extent that the job becomes just too good an opportunity to turn down.
    Yep. Equally depressing.
  • edited May 2016
    Essex_Al said:

I'd love to see him come based on what I have just read here. The b side is I cannot see why he would leave Northampton in the first place, and moreover, can't imagine him wanting to work for a football moron like Dushitalet or a pathological liar like Katrien. RD needs to learn that while he may have money, his tightfistedness and 'hands on' ownership mean most managers would steer clear. Tell him to ask Riga about life under Roland.

Ken, putting aside the regime for a second, the B side is that any manager wanting to progress through the ranks would find Charlton a very attractive proposition as opposed to Northampton!
    Yes, but you can't put the regime aside. They are there, and their modus operandi is 180° away from what we are hearing about CW. Lennie Lawrence and Jose Riga have both walked away, presumably because they couldn"t get the non interference guarantees they wanted.
  • Roland realistically has two choices. Sell the club or change the way he runs it.

If he appointed someone like Chris and let him run things he could get out of league 1. If that was what he offered then I would have thought we stood a good chance of getting him.

Will Roland be realistic though? Probably not.

• Got a feeling that Roland's going to really have a go at getting back up next season. Even if it means going against what he's done so far. Unless he plans to run the club in to the ground he has no choice. Please don't resurrect this comment in a years time because I'm probably completely wrong. But without any inside knowledge I'm quietly optimistic.

if only he had taken that approach at some point in last 2 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Got a feeling that Roland's going to really have a go at getting back up next season. Even if it means going against what he's done so far. Unless he plans to run the club in to the ground he has no choice. Please don't resurrect this comment in a years time because I'm probably completely wrong. But without any inside knowledge I'm quietly optimistic.

if only he had taken that approach at some point in last 2 years.
    I'm honestly starting to think that was simply out of stupidity and naivety, but at this point I think it's almost impossible for him to carry on as he does. I'm still set on the need for a takeover myself, it'll take a hell of a lot for him to win back the fans at all especially with Katrien and RM in the building. If he's as smart as his business portfolio seems to show he just has to get rid of them both and try and get as much value as possible on to the club while getting us back up to the championship.
    All of this is coming from assuming he would've learnt from his mistakes by now, as they've said they have a few times over the past 2 years. I just hope he has the pride to sell up when it's looking down or to have the balls to completely change it up. I'm sure the protests have helped shape his opinion a bit. We can only hope he'll finally listen and realise.
  • Roland doesn't do failure remember so I think we'll at least be near the top next season if he doesn't sell up.

Next few weeks will be interesting. We lack in so many senior positions if we don't see any action I'll take it as a sign he's considering selling up

Trouble is, even if he has privately vowed to throw the kitchen sink at it next season, we have no head coach, no head scout, mostly young coaches who have been working primarily in youth team football, and no one in senior management at the club with any more football qualifications than those of a fan.

We are wholly unequiped to operate effectively, in the transfer market this summer in the way we need to.

I'm sure Roland's laptop scouts are still lurking in the background somewhere, but they very much have been the problem up to now because Roland has spent decent money on dross identified by them. No real reason to expect that will change unless the entire approach to scouting changes, and there is no evidence that will happen because we don't even have a proper scout.

I admire your blind hope and optimism - it's the way football fans are supposed to feel in a close season, but don't let it blinker you to what is really going at the club. Don't set yourself up to be let down by these charlatans again.
    You mean, up shit creek without a paddle!

Trouble is, even if he has privately vowed to throw the kitchen sink at it next season, we have no head coach, no head scout, mostly young coaches who have been working primarily in youth team football, and no one in senior management at the club with any more football qualifications than those of a fan.

We are wholly unequiped to operate effectively, in the transfer market this summer in the way we need to.

I'm sure Roland's laptop scouts are still lurking in the background somewhere, but they very much have been the problem up to now because Roland has spent decent money on dross identified by them. No real reason to expect that will change unless the entire approach to scouting changes, and there is no evidence that will happen because we don't even have a proper scout.

I admire your blind hope and optimism - it's the way football fans are supposed to feel in a close season, but don't let it blinker you to what is really going at the club. Don't set yourself up to be let down by these charlatans again.
    You mean, up shit creek without a paddle!
    Maybe not no paddle, but perhaps a paddle that is a sieve and totally unfit for purpose b
  • edited May 2016
    I think the regime will think sufficient time has now elapsed to offer Jose Riga his third appointment with a new improved 2 year contract. Storm in a teacup.
  • Oh no, look who has creeped up as second favourite on skybet!!

Nobby Vinegar!! 13/2
  • Can someone post a link? I can only find old web pages with odds after Luzon left
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

Apparently Roland lost interest half way through his talks with Lennie when he realised Lennie's expectations and demands. I believe Wilder and Lennie know each other, and reading about him here I simply cannot see him pitching up at Charlton without either a massive change in his approach, or for him to be taken in by Latrine Merde's lies.

Was Lennon the one that signed him on loan, during our Selhurst days?.
  • seth plum said:

Apparently Roland lost interest half way through his talks with Lennie when he realised Lennie's expectations and demands. I believe Wilder and Lennie know each other, and reading about him here I simply cannot see him pitching up at Charlton without either a massive change in his approach, or for him to be taken in by Latrine Merde's lies.

Sorry Lennie
  • edited May 2016
    Rob7Lee said:
    Curbs won't be happy not being 16/1.

I think Cotterill could be a good shout. Got Bristol City promoted from league 1. Not saying I want him, but kind of fits the bill.
  • Redrobo said:

Roland realistically has two choices. Sell the club or change the way he runs it.

If he appointed someone like Chris and let him run things he could get out of league 1. If that was what he offered then I would have thought we stood a good chance of getting him.

Will Roland be realistic though? Probably not.

I think Riga's resignation tells us all we need to know. If Roland was about to change his ways and let a manager manage without interference, I'm quite sure Riga would have stayed.
    Point taken, but it would be sensible to start a complete change in direction with a British manager as he will need to convince us he is serious.

Maybe he knew that Riga would leave without a formal undertaking and saved himself a bob or two.

We need to get on with an appointment ASAP. If it is this bloke we should hear this week.
  • Wilder is 8-1 on ! Bookies dont often get it wrong - though Nobby seems to be the best bet.
  • Wilder is 8-1 on ! Bookies dont often get it wrong - though Nobby seems to be the best bet.

The Wilder interest is a public secret. Bookies just covering their arses by keeping the odds hood and short.

• seth plum said:

Sorry Lennie
    LL signed him in the Selhurst years and Curbishley and Gritt signed him a year or so later as well.
  • Talk sport have pretty much said its done and dusted! :(

Err Leicester?

Bookies odd follow the money.

• NTFC said:

Talk sport have pretty much said its done and dusted! :(

I hope not for Wilder's sake. He would have had to have taken some pretty strong drugs to agree to managing us. He's much better off biding his time and getting a more stable gig. Never thought I'd say this but if I was manager and had the chance of managing them or Charlton, then I'd stay exactly where I was (no disrespect to the cobblers)