Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton determined to go British as they target Wilder - SLP

Comments

• Big_Bob said:

The Wilder news may have been leaked one day before tomorrow's match to 'deter' and 'soften' protests that will happen tomorrow.

NO !!!!!!!

Shock horror !

I know, who would credit the regime with that sort of intelligence and competence...

Must be a coincidence.
  • mogodon said:

Just cannot see why he would swap a club on the rise, and where he can probably get anything he wants, within reason, after the season he has had, to come to a club in the same division, infreefall with deep unrest, a history of interference from the owner and a history of replacing managers regularly. It's not as if we are going to lure him with a huge salary and a promise to sign whoever he wants. If he moves, he'll aim higher than us.

The instability of Charlton would clearly be a massive negative for Wilder, but don't underestimate the step up in facilities we have, Northampton don't even have their own dedicated training ground.
  • He is good enough for us, no question.
  • mogodon said:

Just cannot see why he would swap a club on the rise, and where he can probably get anything he wants, within reason, after the season he has had, to come to a club in the same division, infreefall with deep unrest, a history of interference from the owner and a history of replacing managers regularly. It's not as if we are going to lure him with a huge salary and a promise to sign whoever he wants. If he moves, he'll aim higher than us.

The instability of Charlton would clearly be a massive negative for Wilder, but don't underestimate the step up in facilities we have, Northampton don't even have their own dedicated training ground.
    But surely for a manager building a reputation being able to make team selections and have a good input into signings etc is paramount? Without that, the rest is just window dressing, and he risks harming his career because of things out of his control.
  • Wilder would be a good choice, but they could announce Sir Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger as new manager. It would make No difference if the interfering Belgium Chuckles tell him who he can have as new players.

Let a manager pick who he wants not who they want.

No British manager will come to us unless they are desperate under these clowns. The sooner they bugger off, the better the club will be.
  • I never though I'd see the day when we would worry that the manager of Northampton Town would probably reject us!

• I never though I'd see the day when we would worry that the manager of Northampton Town would probably reject us!

Well that day has arrived. Sounds like a good choice although I'd be happy for Jose to stay.
  • Sponsored links:

• If the need to get rid of the ownership is the paramount objective. Then CARD should inform any prospective manager they would not be acceptable if chosen by Duachalet and would be subjected to protests. This would obviously make any new manager think twice about joining and I feel make the Belgians move on much quicker. Anyone agree, or is this too extreme?
  • edited May 2016

I think it was on the Football League show where they mentioned that Chris Wilder was doing so well partly because he had a really good Assistant Manager in Alan Knill (Ex-Bury Manager) so hopefully we'd get both.

Alan Knill could do better than assistant manager under this clownship, sorry ownership.
  • shine166 said:

He was good in Charlie and the chocolate factory

I preferred the more recent Australian dog smuggler version.
  • If they are so determined to "go British" now, there should be nothing stopping them from approaching Curbs. If they were serious about rebuilding the club and attempting to get the fans back, this would be the logical step. Approach him, listen to his response, they may be surprised as he has little to lose. But we know they are full of crap, and have no intention of either trying to make the club successful or making the fans happy.
  • Managers inevitably get sacked, join a club with a name, get a decent contract, get sacked after three months, get decent pay out, spend rest of season on beach in Barbados .... Simples
  • masicat said:

If the need to get rid of the ownership is the paramount objective. Then CARD should inform any prospective manager they would not be acceptable if chosen by Duachalet and would be subjected to protests. This would obviously make any new manager think twice about joining and I feel make the Belgians move on much quicker. Anyone agree, or is this too extreme?

Too extreme, I think. If, by some miracle, they have seen the error of their ways, and are truly contrite and demonstrate by their actions a determination to give us an outstanding squad and win the league next season, there might even now be a way back for them. I doubt it will happen though.
  • @masicat, for what it's worth I agree.

As there is no chance of the current regime doing a good job, I would support sending each manager rumoured to be in discussions a dossier explaining the regime
  • Doesn't matter. All well and good getting Wilder in he won't be in charge by the end of the season. Ownership is what needs changing first and foremost.
  • masicat said:

If the need to get rid of the ownership is the paramount objective. Then CARD should inform any prospective manager they would not be acceptable if chosen by Duachalet and would be subjected to protests. This would obviously make any new manager think twice about joining and I feel make the Belgians move on much quicker. Anyone agree, or is this too extreme?</

This is a good idea I think. Riga is a good example. Good bloke, well respected by the players, a pretty good record over his two spells, but rejected by many fans, for agreeing to take the job, being a puppet etc. Any manager from now on who agrees to take on the job should be labelled the same, if those fans want to be consistent and fair.

• Sponsored links:

• If they are so determined to "go British" now, there should be nothing stopping them from approaching Curbs. If they were serious about rebuilding the club and attempting to get the fans back, this would be the logical step. Approach him, listen to his response, they may be surprised as he has little to lose. But we know they are full of crap, and have no intention of either trying to make the club successful or making the fans happy.

I think it's probably true they want to go British but RD will only pay what he thinks a Head Coach should be paid, and they'll also have to work his way. That's what will stop most British managers from coming here.
  • Mix-up from the comms team. It's actually this guy: https://www.linkedin.com/in/chris-de-wilde-76771796
  • Will take him a season to bed in then will prob give a good promotion challenge the following season - IF there is no interference with team affairs from boardroom level.

...Richard Murray.
  • Stig said:

Interesting headline "Determined to go British". There's been a few posters on here in the week saying that the regime want a British 'coach'. I've questioned what evidence there is for that, but nobody has responded. I'd really like to know where these stories are coming from.

If it's true, it could be a sign that the regime want to do something to head off the demonstrations - they must be getting fed up with the aggro by now and would probably like an easy way to head off the protests. If it were to happen (I'm highly sceptical) I hope everyone will be clear-headed enough to see that it changes nothing. Whoever they get in, this regime is still rotten to the core and the demos and boycotts must carry on. Perhaps more likely though given the regime's history is that they are just making noises about stuff that they know will never happen. Some time next season, when things are going horribly wrong again they'll be able to use the excuse that they tried to get Chris Wilder, so it's not their fault they did their best.

If it did happen, Wilder wouldn't be the first cobblers coach they've brought to the club. Over all though I don't believe we're going for the Northampton manager. I reckon it's more likely to be down to a simple misunderstanding. Someone has heard, 'Roland is chasing the Northampton manager, Chris Wilder'. Whereas what was actually said was, 'Roland bases himself on a character from Gene Wilder'.

Let's not forget that after the Vignjevic debacle it was said that people inside the club wanted a British coach then, the next day we had Riga. I'm not sure that it matters what people at the club want, we get what Roland gives us.
  • edited May 2016
    I think the club do want a British manager. Wanting one and attracting one are two different things. Lennie and Freedman were not impressed by what they heard and neither will a lot of other candidates. Getting someone like Wilder accross the line will be very difficult unless there is a fundamental change in policy. Riga couldn't get that change and obviously LL and DF couldn't either. I doubt Wilder will touch us with a barge pole once he hears what's on offer and I don't just mean money.
  • No chance, he's the next Sheff United manager.
  • At least he knows how to get a club out of league 2, so obviously he is here for 2017-18.
  • LuckyReds said:

Not the most inspiring of CV's: Alfreton Town, Halifax Town, Oxford United and Northampton Town. Although it would appear he did a brilliant job at Northampton.

Quite surprised to see he was linked to the Bolton job, but if internal politics put him off of that one then I can't see him coming here either. It could be seen as progress I guess, but...

Wilder has good experience of the lower leagues & non league. Perfect for Charlton in the Duchatelet era.
  • Why is it that everyone says they don't trust the regime then continue this nonsense about Wilder, British coaches etc. We know that they have already lined up some cretin from the network or Belgium and he will be announced in July when we will all be hungover from the Euros and too late to assemble a decent squad of players. Come on enjoy the last game tomorrow then have a good holiday.