Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton determined to go British as they target Wilder - SLP

Comments

• Why would Chris Wilder walk away from a club he has just gained promotion with? I thought Lennie Lawrence had already told Roly were to go with his job!
  • rikofold said:

Wilder would be a decent punt, but a punt for sure. Certainly a step up on what we've had since Powell, but good enough for Charlton Athletic? Not convinced, although to be fair he's done well pretty much everywhere he's been. Career win percentage in the 40s I believe.

I'm sure we can fix that for him..
  • Can't see it happening.
  • Assuming this is coming from inside the club when are they going to tell us that Riga is leaving?

Might be rewriting history here but, if I recall correctly, I'm not sure they did tell us last time he left, it just gradually became apparent that he wasn't there anymore, and his son posted something negative about RD on Twitter.
  • Am I imagining it or did we once have him on-loan as a player?
  • edited May 2016
    Most telling point for me in that article was about Jason Euell reverting to his former position after "failing to agree terms". This seems to be a common thread with this regime. Every single damned thing is done on the cheap. Regardless of its importance.

I hear Lennie and Freedman have both failed to be impressed by "terms" and direction. I don't expect Chris Wilder to be any different.

Wilder's star is rising. He ought to stay put at Northampton and bide his time. Joining our merry go round is probably a risk he doesn't need.
  • HandG said:

Is Wilder a coach or a manager? The difference seems to be overlooked in articles like this and subsequent discussions but it is pretty important.....

Good point. I said yesterday we need a manager not head coach. However, with the current owner, even if the title of the appointed is manager, it will still mean very little because he won't have much control over transfer matters.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:

Assuming this is coming from inside the club when are they going to tell us that Riga is leaving?

Might be rewriting history here but, if I recall correctly, I'm not sure they did tell us last time he left, it just gradually became apparent that he wasn't there anymore, and his son posted something negative about RD on Twitter.
    That rings a bell, I think you're probably right.

Unlike last time though, we know he has a contract that extends in to next season. So I would hope they do the decent thing and make a proper announcement - which should be quite difficult for them. You can't blame him for the relegation, you've already got rid of him previously before bringing him back, and he's also a manager that seems to have found a decent rapport with the fans. How do you spin that?

Perhaps you spin it by bringing in a British manager and saying you've learnt your mistakes..
  • He would have to be off his rocker. My mate who supports Northampton said that they have some really good players there and could make a real good go of it next season. So if he was to join..........
  • Simon Clark will be cheaper. So it'll be Simon Clark.

What happened with Lennie? Didn't he turn it down?

It's a shame it's taken relegation for them to realise what we've been telling them for over two years. Roland, Katrien, you had a good British manager and players before you got rid of them all.
  • What decent British manager/coach would join Charlton under this regime?

- None!
  • edited May 2016
    I bet he's joining us , along with Yann!

When will the club learn , its just mistake after mistake after mistake and lie after lie, people have had the wool pulled over their eyes so many times its dull.
  • What decent British manager/coach would join Charlton under this regime?

- None!

Quite!
  • I couldn't give a toss who the next coach/manager/puppet is or where he or she comes from. They could come from the moon for all I care as long as they can do the job and are allowed to do the job. The British bit is a non argument with me.
    Whoever they are, under this regime, they will either fail through their own shortcomings or because of the setup (whatever that is by the time they are employed).
    We will not be employing anyone as good as Curbs, Dowie, Reed, Parky or Powell and 60% of them were never good enough.

Yes - twice. He was a good mate of Webbo's, and I think he thought CW would fit in well at Charlton. But on both occasions he got injured pretty quickly and went back to Sheffield.

Yes he was on loan with us late 80's early 90's I think
  • Sponsored links:

• I actually remember when he was Oxford he would pop up on Football League Show after their games sometimes with the 20 second post match interview clip.

The bloke doesn't shirk his words if his team have a bad day, that's for sure!
  • Stig said:

Interesting headline "Determined to go British". There's been a few posters on here in the week saying that the regime want a British 'coach'. I've questioned what evidence there is for that, but nobody has responded. I'd really like to know where these stories are coming from.

If it's true, it could be a sign that the regime want to do something to head off the demonstrations - they must be getting fed up with the aggro by now and would probably like an easy way to head off the protests. If it were to happen (I'm highly sceptical) I hope everyone will be clear-headed enough to see that it changes nothing. Whoever they get in, this regime is still rotten to the core and the demos and boycotts must carry on. Perhaps more likely though given the regime's history is that they are just making noises about stuff that they know will never happen. Some time next season, when things are going horribly wrong again they'll be able to use the excuse that they tried to get Chris Wilder, so it's not their fault they did their best.

If it did happen, Wilder wouldn't be the first cobblers coach they've brought to the club. Over all though I don't believe we're going for the Northampton manager. I reckon it's more likely to be down to a simple misunderstanding. Someone has heard, 'Roland is chasing the Northampton manager, Chris Wilder'. Whereas what was actually said was, 'Roland bases himself on a character from Gene Wilder'.

I suspect we all know the easiest way for them to stop the protests ...
  • edited May 2016
    Beckboy said:

What's he like in passing bits of paper onto the pitch?

Will he expect us to be one of those clubs that has to go everywhere and be better than the other team?
    LuckyReds said:

MrLargo said:

Assuming this is coming from inside the club when are they going to tell us that Riga is leaving?

That rings a bell, I think you're probably right.

Unlike last time though, we know he has a contract that extends in to next season. So I would hope they do the decent thing and make a proper announcement - which should be quite difficult for them. You can't blame him for the relegation, you've already got rid of him previously before bringing him back, and he's also a manager that seems to have found a decent rapport with the fans. How do you spin that?

Perhaps you spin it by bringing in a British manager and saying you've learnt your mistakes..
    Big difference last time was that his contract had ended though. Not the case this time...
  • One thing going for Wilder giving consideration to our advances might be that Northampton have also recently been a basket case. Providing Duchatelet doesn't offer him peanuts he might just feel that we are a step up. On the other side of the coin I'm not at all confident that a manager like him wouldn't want far more control of player policy than RD is likely to offer. I'll be amazed if he ends up joining.
  • The Wilder news may have been leaked one day before tomorrow's match to 'deter' and 'soften' protests that will happen tomorrow.
  • Just cannot see why he would swap a club on the rise, and where he can probably get anything he wants, within reason, after the season he has had, to come to a club in the same division, infreefall with deep unrest, a history of interference from the owner and a history of replacing managers regularly. It's not as if we are going to lure him with a huge salary and a promise to sign whoever he wants. If he moves, he'll aim higher than us.