Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Season Ticket Renewal

Comments

• edited March 2016
    When I was a little boy - I wasn't 'telling you' what to do - so why so angry and pissy with me.
  • Stone said:

JohnnyH2 said:

meldrew66 said:

I renewed 2 adults and 1 child last week - relocated to Lower North from Block A, East Stand. I will be attending all Home games next year so, at £160 fwith my VG membership, that's £8.42 per game and means paying £139 less to RD over the 19 games. Is that justifiable enough not to be called a 'scab'? Think about it.

No you are not a scab.

BUT

Why give them the money so quickly. It's not like the tickets will sell out so let them sweat for the money
    This is my whole point. I never said don't renew. My previous post clearly states that there is no excuse to renew before July. I appreciate peoples long service awards etc that they are reluctant to give up.
    But renewing so early is against everything the protest campaign is about.
    Some people just don't get it.
    You may not have said don't renew, but you did say anyone who does is a scab. Do you not get why others are insulted?
  • It should be £ 1 to get in and a free pie next season if they want a crowd.
  • Godstone said:

It should be £ 1 to get in and a free pie next season if they want a crowd.

Free wine as well.
  • edited March 2016

I couldn't give two hoots what the CARD protest want me to do. I don't wear black and white scarfs, masks, stickers, or another gimmick. Very plain very simple. I go to Charlton to watch my team with my son and friends.

I certainly don't want someone to tell me as and when to buy my tickets.

Not a dig here, so please don't take it as one.

Genuine question, what are your thoughts on the current situation? - apologies if you have stated them elsewhere previously.

Think using the word 'gimmick' is a bit disrespectful towards the people who are putting a great deal of time and effort in trying to do something proactive rather than 'sucking it up' don't forget what happened all those years ago with the Valley Party, had nothing been done then, we wouldn't have a club to support - just an observation.
    My thoughts are the same as everyone with the current regime. But I will be dammed if a guy from Belguim who has attended all but a few games is going to stop me and my son watching a team we support and a club we love.

In terms of your reference to the Valley Party I followed this same club at Selhurst and Upton Park and yes even chipped in to buy Ronnie Moore and I have the certificate to prove it.

With regard to Charlton playing at Dartford (Fortune 82nd Minute) I will be there and is why I admire the fans of AFC Wimbeldon, Luton and Portsmouth as they have all stuck with their teams when they were down.

Anyone can walk away, personally I take the highs with the lows.

I can remember Leciester and Man City when they were both on their arses now look at them.

I also believe the word "scabs" is a lot more disrespectful and unfortulanty for CARD I have a mind of my own. I will buy my tickets when I choose to and not when to just as in my life I choose what to do where to go and do what I want.

I wouldn't take your comment as a "dig" as everyone has opinions and I respect yours as everyone on here should respect everyone else's.

What I do do is having my son and I being called a scab.
  • I couldn't give two hoots what the CARD protest want me to do. I don't wear black and white scarfs, masks, stickers, or another gimmick. Very plain very simple. I go to Charlton to watch my team with my son and friends.

Genuine question, what are your thoughts on the current situation? - apologies if you have stated them elsewhere previously.

Think using the word 'gimmick' is a bit disrespectful towards the people who are putting a great deal of time and effort in trying to do something proactive rather than 'sucking it up' don't forget what happened all those years ago with the Valley Party, had nothing been done then, we wouldn't have a club to support - just an observation.
    My thoughts are the same as everyone with the current regime. But I will be dammed if a guy from Belguim who has attended all but a few games is going to stop me and my son watching a team we support and a club we love.

In terms of your reference to the Valley Party I followed this same club at Selhurst and Upton Park and yes even chipped in to buy Ronnie Moore and I have the certificate to prove it.

With regard to Charlton playing at Dartford (Fortune 82nd Minute) I will be there and is why I admire the fans of AFC Wimbeldon, Luton and Portsmouth as they have all stuck with their teams when they were down.

I can remember Leciester and Man City when they were both on their arses now look at them.

I also believe the word "scabs" is a lot more disrespectful and unfortulanty for CARD I have a mind of my own. I will buy my tickets when I choose to and not when to just as in my life I choose what to do where to go and do what I want.

I wouldn't take your comment as a "dig" as everyone has opinions and I respect yours as everyone on here should respect everyone else's.

Cheers @WhenIwasLittleBoy

All valid points mate, and I totally get where your coming from.

With you on the scab comments - not nice at all.

• I couldn't give two hoots what the CARD protest want me to do. I don't wear black and white scarfs, masks, stickers, or another gimmick. Very plain very simple. I go to Charlton to watch my team with my son and friends.

If you choose to stay away that's your choice nobody else's.

As for my last it states I would watch my team regardless what league we are in...meaning next or in ten seasons time.

That's what supporters do.

But, do supporters (or fans - in the sense that they are fanatical about their team) just sit back and do nothing - not even register a protest - when an owner's actions are so demonstrably bad for the club (not just the first team)?

Would you, for example, continue to support your team if they moved, for example to Canterbury and were renamed Canterbury Athletic FC or the Canterbury Addicks?

From what you have said, would I be wrong to ask whether you viewed the Back to the Valley campaign in the '80s and '90s as irrelevant posturing?

If you're happy with the current regime, that's fine, and you are entitled to your opinion, just as others, including myself, are entitled to have an opposing view.
  • Sponsored links:

Cheers @WhenIwasLittleBoy

All valid points mate, and I totally get where your coming from.

With you on the scab comments - not nice at all.

Nice one...as for the "scab" quote I doubt very much he knows what a scab is.

If he did he is not the full shilling.

As for my last it states I would watch my team regardless what league we are in...meaning next or in ten seasons time.

But, do supporters (or fans - in the sense that they are fanatical about their team) just sit back and do nothing - not even register a protest - when an owner's actions are so demonstrably bad for the club (not just the first team)?

Would you, for example, continue to support your team if they moved, for example to Canterbury and were renamed Canterbury Athletic FC or the Canterbury Addicks?

From what you have said, would I be wrong to ask whether you viewed the Back to the Valley campaign in the '80s and '90s as irrelevant posturing?

If you're happy with the current regime, that's fine, and you are entitled to your opinion, just as others, including myself, are entitled to have an opposing view.
    Alternatively is a multi millionaire really going to feel the effect of a few thousand season ticket renewals?

Who suffers him or the team?

Would you prefer walking round B&Q than supporting your team?

I enjoy watching my sons face when we score, talking about the game, the Back to the Valley campaign was something that had to be done to win back the club and areas identity.

In terms would I still support the club under different names or locations? A very simple answer is yes! Because it's our team and club.
  • Mrkinski said:

I renewed last week and relocated with my two boys to the lower north from next season. I love the time I get spend with them at football above most other things and had the money available so just paid up whilst I could. THE statement from Roly this week was a kick in the bollocks and would of made me delay but like @meldrew66 said, the club would have made more from me next season regardless

Well said...if dads decide to take their children to games it's what we need as they are the next generation. I know for a fact me and my mates have had some great times at away games with our boys and to watch our sons growing up together and do what we did as mates by going to away games and having a laugh I can't think of anything better.
    Because certain elements don't wish to renew or leave it till July that's your choice just as it is for parents to take their kids to games or go with their mates.

I have supported this club since the early 70s and my son is the forth generation of Charlton fans in my family.

I would watch my team regardless what league and what ground.
    Your last line - it's not about relegation. People like me will not be staying away because we will be in League One. Under different owners I would be renewing even when relegated. I just don't see why anyone would give these horrible pieces of work their money early. The CARD protest is asking for people to *delay* purchasing. You don't have to stay away (but loads of us will).

Mrkinski said:

When I was a little boy - I wasn't 'telling you' what to do - so why so angry and pissy with me.

At what point does it appear that I am angry or pissy?

As stated I will choose when I buy our tickets and not when CARD tell me..unless they wish to buy it for us.
  • It is a hard decision for anyone. Do you go out of habit and family ties or stand resolute. I think that unless RD sells up soon the club is doomed, we aren't financially viable even with the supporters on board.
  • Who wins if the fans don't go?

• if the team plays and no one is around to see it...
  • Eh? No sense in that statement
  • edited March 2016
    I can't believe everyone is getting so shirty about this subject.

CARD has asked people defer buying their season ticket until July (I think), although CARD have been immense I think even those running it would agree they aren't in a position to tell people what to do.

People will renew for many different reasons for family reason through to those who just don't think there is an issue at the club. We may agree or disagree with some or all of that but calling people names is ridiculous, it's certainly not going to win people over thats for sure.

One things for sure those against the regime, the regime would like nothing better than to see us fighting amongst ourselves so lets not give them the satisfaction.

Respect peoples right to buy or not buy a season ticket, I would have thought CARD would be best placed saying 'if you have to renew please only do so in the lower north' at least thats minimal money at £175 full price than £3-£500 elsewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

I'd really like to know how you define 'football team' or 'football club', especially in terms of how you and your family support Charlton.

I'm not having a dig at you or anyone for either buying a ST or refusing to support CARD - it's a free country. I don't agree with you, but it's your money and your right to do as you want.

It just seems clear to me, and obviously thousands of others, that if we just let RD/SF tear the heart and the history out of the club, perhaps to the point of selling the Valley or changing the name, then it isn't Charlton anymore - the club you support won't exist anymore. It'll become a glorified retail park with a football pitch in the middle - that's where all the passive indifference is gonna get us.

Look at some of the clubs who've sunk to the Conference - the likes of Hereford, Grimsby, etc. At least they've all still got a fan bse, a link to their local community and, like 91 clubs in the PL and leagues, they want to succeed. Charlton, under Rat and Nightmeire, are unique. They're not playing the same game as everyone else, and they don't even want to try.
    The difference of supporting a "team" and "club". The team is getting behind them whilst on the pitch. Yes it has been a crap season, but there has been games where the supporters are more vocal about having a go at the owners rather than getting behind the team.
    In terms of the club I won't purchase programmes or merchandise due to the current regime, however I have had a season ticket for 38 years and had Valley Gold in the past.

From a business point of you it wouldn't be good business sense to purchase a football club and then run into the ground as you are suggesting. I think that they have underestimated the strength of this league as well as the size and passion of our support in which has back fired on them.Long term I can see them selling it off within the next year.

I don't think there is scope for a retail park at the ground due to road infrastructure as well as with the development of the Greenwich peninsular there is more retail attraction there for businesses and outlets.

Hereford and Grimsby hardly had big attendances when in leagues 1 and 2 so I can't a comparison with us to them.
  • I honestly think the attendances will be about 8000 next season, unless they give thousands away to school kids etc.
  • cfgs said:

I honestly think the attendances will be about 8000 next season, unless they give thousands away to school kids etc.

Make u right...but it's league 1
  • cfgs said:

I honestly think the attendances will be about 8000 next season, unless they give thousands away to school kids etc.

Make u right...but it's league 1
    What was our average the last time we were there though? Twice that. This lot are doing damage to the club and if they don't sell up soon it could well be permanent.
  • What was our average in 1981 in league 1.

That's the sad thing that fans are walking away from a club that has been here for over 110 years and will remain to do so.

If fans aren't prepared to go to home games then are going to go to all the away games as then the funds wouldn't be going into RD pockets but will still support the team as surely they are supporting the team and not the regime??
  • Last 3 seasons in Division 3 (that number's coming up a lot again)...

2012 17.402
    2011 15,582
    2010 17,606

The damage done by this motley crew will be clear for even the most myopic next season.
  • So if we get new owners then the numbers will be the same?. I don't think that would be the case do you?

• TelMc32 said:

Last 3 seasons in Division 3 (that number's coming up a lot again)...

2012 17.402
    2011 15,582
    2010 17,606

The damage done by this motley crew will be clear for even the most myopic next season.

So given the home gates are down as they don't to line the pockets of RD then you would think they would go to the away games to support team considering the owner will not get any revenue. Therefore on your figures our away following should be 9,000
  • cfgs said:

Sub 6,000 for cold Tuesday night games against Northern teams with a small away following.

I'd really like to know how you define 'football team' or 'football club', especially in terms of how you and your family support Charlton.

I'm not having a dig at you or anyone for either buying a ST or refusing to support CARD - it's a free country. I don't agree with you, but it's your money and your right to do as you want.

It just seems clear to me, and obviously thousands of others, that if we just let RD/SF tear the heart and the history out of the club, perhaps to the point of selling the Valley or changing the name, then it isn't Charlton anymore - the club you support won't exist anymore. It'll become a glorified retail park with a football pitch in the middle - that's where all the passive indifference is gonna get us.

Look at some of the clubs who've sunk to the Conference - the likes of Hereford, Grimsby, etc. At least they've all still got a fan bse, a link to their local community and, like 91 clubs in the PL and leagues, they want to succeed. Charlton, under Rat and Nightmeire, are unique. They're not playing the same game as everyone else, and they don't even want to try.

The difference of supporting a "team" and "club". The team is getting behind them whilst on the pitch. Yes it has been a crap season, but there has been games where the supporters are more vocal about having a go at the owners rather than getting behind the team.
    In terms of the club I won't purchase programmes or merchandise due to the current regime, however I have had a season ticket for 38 years and had Valley Gold in the past.

From a business point of you it wouldn't be good business sense to purchase a football club and then run into the ground as you are suggesting. I think that they have underestimated the strength of this league as well as the size and passion of our support in which has back fired on them.Long term I can see them selling it off within the next year.

I don't think there is scope for a retail park at the ground due to road infrastructure as well as with the development of the Greenwich peninsular there is more retail attraction there for businesses and outlets.

Hereford and Grimsby hardly had big attendances when in leagues 1 and 2 so I can't a comparison with us to them.

I think you've highlighted, albeit unintentioally, the real essence of the problem. It doesn't matter, and I don't think most people on this forum care, what league we're in or what the attendances are, as long as it stays Charlton Athletic and there's a minimum of respect for the fans, and a minimum of input by the fans into the runing of the club.

Sure, ultimately everyone wants success and to be in the PL, but for now it's not a realistic option. It's one thing to have no money and a poor team that try, but it's another to be relatively cash rich and spend the money on sub-standard European rejects who have no commitment to the club.

Yes, I take your point - you'd have to be mad to buy a football club for property development - there are easier ways to make money.

As far as them selling is concerned, I wish I could share your optimism. It seems RD genuinely believes the sun shines out of SF's backside and she can do no wrong. Maybe that'll change when ST sales numbers finally roll onto the profit/loss account, but she'll blame the disruption.

I think it's great that there are games where the supporters are more vocal about getting rid of the owners than getting behind the team. That happened last week - we won 2-0, so it didn't effect the players. Yesterday 800 faithfull went up to Sheffield to support the team, and they lost 3-0. There's no relation between the protests and the performanes on the field.

Like I say, I respect your right to contiue to support the team, and even by not buying programmes/merchanise it's some form of solidarity.

In the end I'd sooner support a crap Charlton side in the National League than an RD Animal Farm XI is suspended animation in the Championship. Look at the teams around us - Rotherham get Warnock in (not my cup of tea necessarily, but...), Bristol sign up Odemwinge, and even Bolton staged a bit of a fightback despite not being paid - ok, their defence looked like it was on Prozaic yesterday, but we do f all - just meander on with the same sub standard players.

Rant over!