Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v MK Dons 2016 post-match views

Comments

• Poyet hasn't changed, the increased demands on his game has exposed his weaknesses. He doesn't seem to have any desire to improve as he continues with his receive, ultra safe pass routine. Almost like he's trying to protect his own stats rather than contribute anything that improves the playing position of the team.

At last, I thought there was something wrong with me. I never rated Poyet when he was here the first time. Always took the easy sideways option. Never got forward. I voted for Lawrie Wilson for POTY. Someone that seemed to care about Charlton

• Also surprised that nobody has mentioned that T.Watt scored again for Blackburn.

Bloody good goal too. Beyond the technical ability of our players
    Shame he's a tw@ then.
  • If Sanogo was racially abused in the closing stages it was a justified act.

And where has that nugget come from?
    Maccy Ds
  • Uboat said:

When you've got a crucial late-season relegation six-pointer, the main thing is to keep things tight for 82 minutes and then bring your best player on, so let's at least give Riga credit for that.

Agree. MK Dons are a League One side with League One players - and their performance showed that. After shipping 4 goals vs Reading I guess Riga wanted to play it tight and then try and nick a win in the latter part of the second half if we were still all square. Pulling off Harriott was correct in my view as his over enthusiasm, inability to withstand challenges and misplaced passing was a weak point. Bergdich looked better and Lookman brilliant. Yes......with hindsight he should have been on at half time, maybe. Motta and Sun-Young both looked good and caused MK Dons many problems. But Makienok? Not his finest hour.

• But Makienok needs players playing off him - he was too isolated. He won is fair share of headers.
  • But Makienok needs players playing off him - he was too isolated. He won is fair share of headers.

Cant be coincidence that his best game for us was against Rotherham when he was alongside Vetokele.
  • Nearly went home when I saw the lineup, big Mak alone up top with four Dons defenders to keep him company. I wanted a muck and bullets tear em a new one approach but all we got was the tippy tappy nicey nicey home performance saved for our relegation rivals this season. If we had been half decent this season we would have been in the mix. In my opinion it's the weakest Championship for a while and Charlton being Charlton have farked it up again.
  • Pretty sure I'd throw an elbow if someone nutted me in the back of the head too...
  • Can't upload the clip but look closely on the Sky sports video...
  • Sponsored links:

• Riga - 0 - thanks for helping send us down just like you did with Blackpool. He's just as clueless as Roland and co

Ha ha ha what a very stupid comment!

He kept us up before, than went to a club who had 4 players at training on his first day plus a few youth!
  • Big Mak was dreadful and it must be because he is very low on confidence as it looked to me that he was hiding and anything he touched went wrong. I didn't join in with the boos when he went off, but I did join in with the rendition of "you don't know what you're doing" aimed at Riga for his inexplicable substitution of Harriot. Riga was the architect of this dire performance. A must win game and we play one up front. Someone looks like they might score and off they go. Put your house on us to lose to Boro.

I missed the Sanogo elbow, but saw that big nosed MK Don's cheat lying on the ground, only to rise like Lazarus and join in the melee. My mate said that he had punched Sanogo in the back of the head shortly before the incident. I thought it telling that the Charlton players snubbed that bloke's handshake at the final whistle. Did anyone see Harriott smack one of theirs round the head? I know the ref didn't! Although the recipient chased after the ref to tell him, the big girl's blouse.

After a drink in the Antigallican after the game to drown the sorrows, a couple of us walked back past the ground and had a little rendition of "we want our Charlton back", this steward looked all panicked and went racing back into the north stand, talking into his radio. Ha ha, they must be right on edge.
  • Essex_Al said:

I'm struggling to see why people are saying Callum was our best player. He certainly tried, but from where the bairn and I were sitting, far too often he made the wrong decision, or made no decision at all, and lost the ball.

At last, someone who actually watched the game, apart from one little run just before he was subbed, he was absolute shite! Lost count of how many time he lost the ball!

Mind you, they were all shite, the Brentford game kept my very slim hopes of us surviving alive, not any more, we're down and back in to the horrible abyss that is L1.
    Agree, in principle, but he was just starting to become a threat and looking more dangerous when they took him off.
  • I looked at the bench and thought that at least Riga could change things but he made a total hash of it all. I have been supportive of him, so it pains me to say it. I don't think you have to know much about football to see things weren't working.
  • Bit late to the party again as have just arrived back in East Sussex.....

Well, it seems that way as we got back to our car at 10.10pm and parked it back in Wadhurst at 1.15am.

WTF !!!! 3 hours to cover a 75 minute journey !

Serious accident on A21 which meant in a queue for 90 mins then road ahead closed for routine maintenance with NO clear signs beforehand to warn us warranted an adventure across country via pitch black lanes in the middle of nowhere. Not sure how Mr F managed to hit the brakes to avoid a slow crossing badger en route - we need all the black & white support we can get.

As for the post match thoughts ? Nothing to shout about until the last 10 minutes or so in a half empty stadium plus a player red carded - what's new ? That's about it, in all honesty.

It's all been said so many times before. We're just not good enough.

The end is nigh.

Mr F did well to spot a small badger crossing - so much easier to spot a Zebra!
  • Are they going to lodge an appeal for Sanogo's red anyone know?
  • hawksmoor said:

If only Mak and Sanogo (I think it was him) had timed their slides a bit better for that cross. All it need was one outstretched toe to make contact. All ifs and bloody buts, though, now, isn't it.

Mak would have got to it if Sanogo hadn't diverted it away from him.
  • Essex_Al said:

I'm struggling to see why people are saying Callum was our best player. He certainly tried, but from where the bairn and I were sitting, far too often he made the wrong decision, or made no decision at all, and lost the ball.

At last, someone who actually watched the game, apart from one little run just before he was subbed, he was absolute shite! Lost count of how many time he lost the ball!

Mind you, they were all shite, the Brentford game kept my very slim hopes of us surviving alive, not any more, we're down and back in to the horrible abyss that is L1.
    Been down since Hull mate.

Keep your pecker up like me. See you in 10 days.
  • Karl Robinson, Goring to Winkleman's Hitler, said Sanogo is an animal and should be banned for the rest of the season.

His club should be banned from existence.

Thought MKD were one of the most horrible scumbag pernicious teams i have seen - shirt-holding, pulling back when through, ignoring ref when about to be booked,time-wasting from the first half - a disgusting excuse of a club.
    The ref should have booked him for the foul and then booked him for walking away, whilst he blew his whistle for the player to approach the ref.
  • Sponsored links:

• Karl Robinson, Goring to Winkleman's Hitler, said Sanogo is an animal and should be banned for the rest of the season.

His club should be banned from existence.

Thought MKD were one of the most horrible scumbag pernicious teams i have seen - shirt-holding, pulling back when through, ignoring ref when about to be booked,time-wasting from the first half - a disgusting excuse of a club.
    The ref should have booked him for the foul and then booked him for walking away, whilst he blew his whistle for the player to approach the ref.
    I'm sure some referees would.
  • Riga isn't the best manager but don't forget Fraeye had us losing 7-0 every match
  • Lookman has been rested for Sunday so he can perform well and out himself in the shop window.
  • Karl Robinson looked a miserable git. Not suprised by some of his comments with the way he constantly harranged the 4th official over every single little imagined infraction, whilst his team were carrying out much worth. Plus he looks like James Cordon.
  • dizzee said:

Riga isn't the best manager but don't forget Fraeye had us losing 7-0 every match

For my part it was much down to the players rather than Riga.

Both Curbs & SCP used to get grief for not substituting players soon enough.

Riga holds a place in my heart after the previous rescue and Fraeye - less mentioned the better.

The players, or some of them, may simply be afraid to play at The Valley as it is now such a poisonous place.

Shouting to Riga, 'You don't know what you're doing" isn't helping either.

Was watching Wenger being interviewed on TV just a few days ago and even he commented about the negative effect it has on his players when the crowd get frustrated and angry at Arsenal - and look at his playing squad!
  • edited March 2016
    LouisMend said:

Was KM at the match last night? I didn't spot her.

Also surprised that nobody has mentioned that T.Watt scored again for Blackburn.

I saw KM and RM after the game popping into José's office.
    They're so cute.
  • Leuth said:

Yeah, as bad as this regime is, our crowd have become monsters and it's fucking cringeworthy, not to mention counterproductive. Protest, yes, boycott even, hold banners, but don't make it a fucking hellhole for our own players you emotionally stunted idiots

There is a degree of truth in this , I hadnt been for a while and I noticed a few things on tuesday evening .The crowd was very sparse ,there wasnt any kind of atmosphere...if anything we were all to quick to criticise the boo boy targets .The team was playing with an abject lack of confidence and game plan probably caused by turnover in players and management ...nothing really new here but we are stuck between a rock and a hard place .

• Leuth said:

Yeah, as bad as this regime is, our crowd have become monsters and it's fucking cringeworthy, not to mention counterproductive. Protest, yes, boycott even, hold banners, but don't make it a fucking hellhole for our own players you emotionally stunted idiots

Good man - get it off your chest - tell it how it is!
  • edited March 2016
    Leuth said:

Leuth,

Instinctively I am on your side of the fence. Constructive encouragement beats destructive criticism every time.

However, as one that was there on Tuesday, given the undisputed importance of the game I actually think our sparse crowd was remarkably restrained in turning on the players and tried to support throughout.

The reaction of some of the crowd to the departure of Makienok was unfortunate but I have to say that, although I did not join in myself, I can fully understand the frustrated reaction to his "performance."

I am just relieved that it was an evening match and the pigeons were roosting because had it been daylight our 6' 7" blond statue would have collected as much pigeon shit as Nelson's Column given his lack of movement over the 80 or so minutes he was on the field!