Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rotherham v Charlton - Post Match Views

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Rob said:

@Fanny Fanackapan . My best mate from school texted me to say he was talking to you yesterday. Was sitting behind you guys. Laurence is his name (I call him Lol). He runs the coaches up from Tun Wells and, between us, we have well over 100 years supporting Charlton. Maybe you remember?

Crikey ! I've just looked at a pic on Facebook, of the away faithful during the match and can't spot anyone sitting behind me that I spoke to yesterday....don't mean any disrespect but yesterday was a bit like Wembley with people hugging each other to celebrate the unexpected but VERY welcome goals !

• Options
    38 people like Fanny.
  • Options

38 people like Fanny.

2% of CL fan Base
  • Options
    A great afternoon watching this by stream over a few beers. Our internet and streaming was a bit patchy but at least we were able to enjoy the full comedy value of Rotherham's penalty miss. The stream froze just after the ref awarded it and, after a minute or so fiddling around, we turned on Player to hear Finchy screaming "that's justice !!" Top man Finchy - his lack of impartiality and level of enthusiasm are one of the main reasons I continue my subscription to Player.

A really strong performance from our lads and a lot of credit for that must go to Jose for setting the team up correctly and really firing them up for this vital game. The contrast with the hapless Fraeye (surely one of the worst 'managers/chief coaches' in Football League history) could not be greater. You could see from the TV pictures what the result meant to all the players, especially to lads like Solly and Henderson.

We looked a bit shaky at the back at times, although I think that largely arose from a few occasions where there was a shortage of protection in front of the back four and others when we needlessly surrendered possession in midfield. Considering that they're a new partnership, Harry Lennon and Tex did pretty well, whilst our keeper and full backs were very strong. Offensively, our finishing was clinical and we demonstrated more attacking intent and threat than we have for a very long time.

This result puts us right back in the mix and it will have the three or four teams above us looking nervously over their shoulders. Let's hope that Jose can persuade RD to provide him with the couple of reinforcements that we urgently need to the long run-in.
  • Options

Cousins has taken a lot of stick for his quality on the ball but yesterday he looked more than capable.

Skinned a couple of players by the dugout and played two or three defence splitting passes, including for the 2nd goal.

And he's still only 21.

very impressed by cousins yesterday - been critical but he stepped up yesterday and i saw things i didn;t think he was capable of - he has the physicality no question but he was more than that yesterday and got the ball down and played in frantic circumstances when all else were just whacking it long - u won;t find 2 more committed centre mids
  • Options
    Watched the second half on the stream after dealing with my early morning baby duties. From the CAFCPlayer commentary sounded like the first half was a bit more even than the second, and it was massive for us to score first and find a way to go into the halftime break ahead.

Probably not going to add anything that hasn't already been said, but we looked pretty comfortable for most of the second half. That said, I didn't think we did anything exceptional, but we didn't need to to comfortably beat a very poor Rotherham side. Says a lot about how bad we have been that we are behind them in the table. That said, it still could have been a different result but for a couple of saves from Hendo, one a bit of a worldly, and that penalty miss.

Everyone played their part. The midfield won their battles, which is so important in the modern game, with Cousins particularly impressive in covering ground while also providing quality on the ball. JoBerg finally woke up and was great to see him tracking back making tackles late on as well as running with the ball and playing killer passes - we will need more of that desire and end product from him if we are to survive and he is to justify his reputation as one of our best players. Bergdich provided some energy down the left and I don't think it's any coincidence that Fox looks a bit more solid with him there. I'm still not convinced by some of Zak's decision making but he's doing a job right now and is at least a round peg in a round hole which I think is an important part of us getting back to basics.

There is still some shakiness at times at the back, but we are certainly less porous than a couple of weeks ago and Hendo did his job when needed.Tex was totally done for pace for the penalty - the guy was looking for it but it was correctly awarded imho. Him and Lennon did okay though, I was particularly impressed with how Lennon handled and dominated Becchio in the second half as he is no mug. Worried how they might fair against real pace, but that is not something they will have to face every week.

The biggest difference though was having two decent, fired up strikers leading the line. Mak was spoiling for a fight and gave them a torrid time and Igor was industrious and engaged in the effort. Both very much deserved their goals and was great to see some fledgling link up between them, hopefully they will keep up the intensity because, if they do, they will be a real handful once they are fully on the same wavelength.

In the context of a normal season it was a 7/10 performance, overall, but, given what has gone before, it's a 9/10 for the improvement alone and 10/10 given the significance of the result. Nice to do some damage to their goal difference as well, although we still have some catching up to do there.

Still work to do and need to prove we can compete like that against better sides than Rotherham, but something to build on.
  • Options

our team is a work in progress, whilst it was a brilliant afternoon there is still a lot to be done before the team is ready to take on the better teams during our run in.
    We had 9 shots at goal and scored 4 goals, that is the most effective that our attack has been for many a game, however our passing wasn't great, we kept giving it away which wasn't too bad as Rotherham didn't have the ability to take advantage, but the likes of Burnley will. But the passing wasn't all bad there were times when a measured pass from midfield to Igor was just a inch out of true and was taken by a defender. With Bauer and or Diarra back, Lookman fit, with Riga as manager and with our support I do think we'll get better and survive the drop.

Agree completely. Riga may have had a bit of luck in that he has arrived at a time where we have a run of winnable games. It's given him an opportunity to spend time with the squad and start getting them properly prepared for when we meet the tougher sides. It's great that we got the win Saturday, we need to follow it up with another three points against Bristol and beyond.
  • Options

Rob said:

@Fanny Fanackapan . My best mate from school texted me to say he was talking to you yesterday. Was sitting behind you guys. Laurence is his name (I call him Lol). He runs the coaches up from Tun Wells and, between us, we have well over 100 years supporting Charlton. Maybe you remember?

Crikey ! I've just looked at a pic on Facebook, of the away faithful during the match and can't spot anyone sitting behind me that I spoke to yesterday....don't mean any disrespect but yesterday was a bit like Wembley with people hugging each other to celebrate the unexpected but VERY welcome goals !

He mentioned it. I'll check with him. I'm sure u would have remembered.
  • Options

Just off the train , straight into my pj's & now CL ... you know how important it is for me to share my thoughts before I "switch off ".

My first away day by rail since the promotion game at Carlisle & all went to plan..Wadhurst, Charing Cross, St Pancras, Sheffield & on to Rotherham. Boy, did that wind test my hairspray today !!

Lunch with good friends in The Rhino with a free glass of wine ( wayhey !) & a brisk walk to the stadium to join 700 more of the faithful. As all concerned were saying, everything had gone to plan thus far - surely nothing could go wrong ?

And indeed it did prove to be one very special day which even our favourite man in the middle failed to spoil. Lots of familiar faces- some regulars and some not-but all, by 5pm with huge smiles on their faces. This is what supporting our Club is all about, lest we forget at times...

The game ? Well, I'm sure others have already pointed out that there wasn't one player in Jose's team that didn't earn his money this afternoon. Every one of our lads played their part. For the 2nd week running, Bergdich was a revelation, Guddy was almost back to his best of last season, JJ ran his socks off as usual but made some very important tackles too, Henders pulled off some great saves to keep us in front & the back four looked more stable than of late. But, whilst it's unfair to pick out individuals for praise ( it was SO a team effort today) our strikers did what it says on the tin - all THREE of them ! It's been a long time since we could make claim to that ! Indeed, it was a great performance from all our players ...although our no 22 must wonder whether he's ever going to make it further than the touchline. For the 2nd game running he's been ready, willing & able to step onto the pitch but the final whistle has blown before he's managed it !

Why, why and thrice times why didn't RD see fit to keep Jose in SE7 2 seasons ago ? Of course, hindsight is a wonderful thing but it was as plain as the nose on a certain puppet's face that he had something special ....and it was something our Club badly needed. All that wasted time, all those lost points, all that lost confidence & all those lost fans.....and even now, is there any guarantee that our owner has learned any lessons? That this won't happen season after season whilst he continues his bizarre & ruinous experiment ? If there is one thing that tempers the sheer joy of a day like today, it's the knowledge that we are still on a merry go round , but alas, one that all too frequently breaks down...

So, a weary Fanny has put a special day to bed & looks forward to next weekend's visit of the other Robins. The confidence that today's result has surely instilled in both players and fans should make it one to savour. And we need to be that 12th man that our CEO will invariably state made the difference today. But, please don't forget that apart from what's happening on the pitch & on the training ground, nothing has changed.

And, unless RD swallows his pride or maybe takes a walk along that road in Damascus, we could be here again this time next season...with no young Lookman among others likely to be sold to "balance the books".

Support the team under JR, NOT the regime !

You really ought to write a book of your CAFC experiences Fanny.

" 50 (away) Days of Fanny" maybe ?

:wink:

As long as there're no more mentions of your PJs (and I also thought you were a flanalette nightie type of gal).
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Great win, beating a fellow rivals, enjoyed the winning feeling but won't mean sweet fa if we don't kick on, the club are slightly milking it, we've beaten Rotherham shouldn't of been in this position in the first place, nothing changes Roland out!!!.

of course everyone that went on saturday had katrien and roland to thank for there coaches;

Over 700 Addicks are expected to make the journey to Rotherham United on Saturday thanks to the club's offer of free coach travel to the New York Stadium.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lets not get carried away, I watched the highlites, and they cut threw our midfield and defence to often. A better team than Rotherham would have battered us. Good that we got the 3pts, but I believe we still need to improve the defence and midfield.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Tweet from Guddy

Finally that winning feeling, thanks for the great support traveling fans. You are the heart and soul of this club. Focus now on Bristol

A message to katrien in that tweet.
    Great quote...I read it that way also..That message was very clear.
  • Options

our team is a work in progress, whilst it was a brilliant afternoon there is still a lot to be done before the team is ready to take on the better teams during our run in.
    We had 9 shots at goal and scored 4 goals, that is the most effective that our attack has been for many a game, however our passing wasn't great, we kept giving it away which wasn't too bad as Rotherham didn't have the ability to take advantage, but the likes of Burnley will. But the passing wasn't all bad there were times when a measured pass from midfield to Igor was just a inch out of true and was taken by a defender. With Bauer and or Diarra back, Lookman fit, with Riga as manager and with our support I do think we'll get better and survive the drop.

Agree completely. Riga may have had a bit of luck in that he has arrived at a time where we have a run of winnable games. It's given him an opportunity to spend time with the squad and start getting them properly prepared for when we meet the tougher sides. It's great that we got the win Saturday, we need to follow it up with another three points against Bristol and beyond.
    Failure to get anything from the Bristol City match will render this 4-1 win over Rotherham as almost pointless.

Both matches are as big as each other as we need to push on with a huge statement to those around us on Saturday
  • Options
    Well I am not going to rain on anyones parade because 3pts is 3pts and clearly Riga is slowly and surely getting things a bit better organised and with two winnable games coming up we possibly could be out of the bottom three soon.

Here is my fear firstly I want to say that if Riga can keep us up that is totally brilliant, I for one don't want to watch League 1 football, the problem is that old Duchatelet will then feel vindicated, sell off our best prospect (Lookman) and we start the whole bloody mess again next season with another underfunded, undermanned squad populated by players who are neither up to the mark or particularly care. But RD will have "proved" his theories on how to run a Football club and we will be stuck with the fucker for another season.
  • Options

Well I am not going to rain on anyones parade because 3pts is 3pts and clearly Riga is slowly and surely getting things a bit better organised and with two winnable games coming up we possibly could be out of the bottom three soon.

Here is my fear firstly I want to say that if Riga can keep us up that is totally brilliant, I for one don't want to watch League 1 football, the problem is that old Duchatelet will then feel vindicated, sell off our best prospect (Lookman) and we start the whole bloody mess again next season with another underfunded, undermanned squad populated by players who are neither up to the mark or particularly care. But RD will have "proved" his theories on how to run a Football club and we will be stuck with the fucker for another season.

The only thing that gives me some confidence is that Riga has an 18 month contract this time so Roland will have to actually sack him this time if he's going to get rid of him in favour of some other no hoper in his clique.
  • Options

I think this is overly pessimistic. Several important players have now signed quite long deals. I am very confident that we'll still be in the Championship next season and that we can push on irrespective of who owns the club .. of course, time will tell
  • Options
    It has to be a big improvement when normally we have done well to get 4 chances in a game, let alone 4 goals!
  • Options

It has to be a big improvement when normally we have done well to get 4 chances in a game, let alone 4 goals!

To be fair I don't remember us having that many chances other than the goals... the only ones that I remember was Jackson at the start of the second half who's half-volley went just wide and then his free-kick right before our third goal
  • Options
    se9addick said:

The only thing that gives me some confidence is that Riga has an 18 month contract this time so Roland will have to actually sack him this time if he's going to get rid of him in favour of some other no hoper in his clique.
    In the small print it probably says u won't actually be sacked just moved to some other club in the network like all the other have
    Rd pays off no one
  • Options
    But at least this result gives us a glimmer of hope and something positive to work with
    Something we've not had for a while
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great game, not perfect by any stretch but you just cant argue with 1-4.

Riga looks to be the right appointment - taking decisions that KM/RD have made since coming here to a 2% success rate.

Big Mak loves it here and with that passion I'd see him brought in permanently.

Imagine what we could do if we didnt have that clown Fry in charge for such a ridiculously long time. We're not safe and wont be for some time but it's a step in the right direction.
  • Options
    The negatives in the game, is we let them equalise quite soon after our first and nearly let them back in it quite soon after our third. This is something we will need to get better at if we are to survive. That has been a long standing issue and I'm sure Riga is much better equipped to address sit than KF was.
  • Options
    Apologies if asked already, but anyone on here who went know the row in which the pen landed? I'm gonna guess around T.
  • Options

se9addick said:

In the small print it probably says u won't actually be sacked just moved to some other club in the network like all the other have
    Rd pays off no one
    Oh I don't for a second think that there's isn't a possibility that he won't be shipped out regardless of what happens, just that it'll be slightly trickier than last time when his contract just expired.
  • Options
    Lincsaddick: Said I think this is overly pessimistic. Several important players have now signed quite long deals. I am very confident that we'll still be in the Championship next season and that we can push on irrespective of who owns the club .. of course, time will tell

As I said Lincs I didn't want to rain on anyones parade but of course by putting players on contract that gives them a value in the market place the worst case scenario is that they are out of contract and under Bosman can move where they like and having investedin the player you get nothing back. Don't forget Scott Parker had signed a new contract a few months before he went to Chelsea. We should not kid ourselves, Duchatelet will continue to sell players if the price is right and the whole idea of this new academy is to produce players to sell, a kind of Footballer Factory.
  • Options
    Thought our forward line was on fire on Saturday. Every time we broke we looked dangerous. JBG showing what we all know he's capable of, Big Mak running their centre halves ragged, Igor back to his best and even Bergdich putting in a shift. Even though it was absolutely freezing up there we made plenty of noise with hardly anything coming from the home stands ! Followed that up with a night out in Doncaster to top off a great weekend..
  • Options
    alright, there were only 3Championship games on Saturday, but we got 4 players in the 'Sun' team of the day .. Tex, JBG, Igor and BigMak .. all well deserved ... also in the 'Times' we merited a half page match report which outlined briefly the position of the fans re Duchatelet .. the lady who wrote the piece did a very good job on both the match report and the fans reactions, she was almost amazed that 700 CAFC fans were in the ground .. thing is we all LOVE New York ((:>)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Louis Sealey, Sports reporter / News Shopper / 51 minutes ago / Charlton Athletic

The 4-1 win at the New York Stadium – inspired by a Simon Makienok brace and strikes from Igor Vetokele and Johann Berg Gudmundsson – ended a run of 11 matches without a league victory.

If they cannot even get the goal scorers right, why are they bothering to report?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Louis Sealey, Sports reporter / News Shopper / 51 minutes ago / Charlton Athletic

The 4-1 win at the New York Stadium – inspired by a Simon Makienok brace and strikes from Igor Vetokele and Johann Berg Gudmundsson – ended a run of 11 matches without a league victory.

If they cannot even get the goal scorers right, why are they bothering to report?

To be fair, he is the spitting image of Lookman....
  • Options

Apologies if asked already, but anyone on here who went know the row in which the pen landed? I'm gonna guess around T.

I was in K and comfortably unscathed.