Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Disqualification seems disproportionate. Alfa Romeo guilty of as ham fisted an unsafe release as you could wish to see, ending Mazepin’s race and they get a 10 second penalty. Vettel gets disqualified for giving a sample that can be tested, just a smaller one than is stipulated.

if anything, those penalties should be reversed. Any advantage Vettel gained by using dodgy fuel, which they can check for anyway due to having some sample, would be negated by a time penalty. Mazepin can’t get his race back though because Alfa released Kimi straight into him. 
  • Options
    Whinger Spice is an absolute classic! Wonder if he's going to stomp around demanding Mercedes pay for the damage to Checos car. 

This second half of the season is set up beautifully and I'm sure there's going to be more potstirring from Red Bull. 

Sidenote - hopefully Lewis is okay , looked in a real bad way after the race. 
  • Options
    Ooo this is interesting from Pirelli - Mercedes are testing the 18inch tyres again this coming week - Will be at the Hungaroring and George Russell of all people will be the test driver
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I can't see the point in Aston Martin appealing. It was a punishment based on a matter of fact requirement. What is probably a good thing for Vettel was that he didn't lose the win. That would have been hard to take.
  • Options
    I can't see the point in Aston Martin appealing. It was a punishment based on a matter of fact requirement. What is probably a good thing for Vettel was that he didn't lose the win. That would have been hard to take.
    Aston Martin are saying there was enough fuel in the tank but the testers couldn’t get to it for some reason. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Aston Martin are saying there was enough fuel in the tank but the testers couldn’t get to it for some reason. 
    And why didn't they help them get it out? 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    They should have used a scouser with a length of plastic pipe. He’d have had it syphoned out in no time.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    And why didn't they help them get it out? 
    They're not allowed to help apparently
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jacques Villeneuve thinks Mercedes should put Stroll in the Mercedes. I mean I know he's also Canadian so he's talking that up, and his suggestion is based on Hamilton not wanting to be pushed by Russell and Mercedes not wanting Bottas, but if you ever needed confirmation that JV is a complete loon, this is it!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Jacques Villeneuve thinks Mercedes should put Stroll in the Mercedes. I mean I know he's also Canadian so he's talking that up, and his suggestion is based on Hamilton not wanting to be pushed by Russell and Mercedes not wanting Bottas, but if you ever needed confirmation that JV is a complete loon, this is it!
    Every season he has to come out with something ridiculous like this to try and cling onto some degree of relevancy. 

This is possibly his most ridiculous yet. 
  • Options
    Stroll surely wont risk leaving Aston Martin as he wont have his Dad's protection
  • Options
    I can see the reasoning. The last thing you want when things are tight is teammates taking points off each other. But you do need a teammate who is not too far behind for race strategy purposes.
  • Options
    Stroll surely wont risk leaving Aston Martin as he wont have his Dad's protection
    To be fair to Stroll I think he’s a decent driver and would get a drive without his dads help at this point
  • Options
    To be fair to Stroll I think he’s a decent driver and would get a drive without his dads help at this point
    Was just thinking more if he went to another team and wasnt good enough

Easier to get replaced there, but then am sure his Dad would take him back at Aston Martin
  • Options
    I think Bottas is pretty much perfect number 2 for Merc right now, I wouldn't expect a decision to be made until the constructors title is decided . That might change if Perez finds a bit of consistency. 
  • Options
    Obviously Stroll Snr and Wolff are very good friends, and Toto has shares in AM (as well as Williams and Mercedes, in case you wondered) so it could be seen as a way to find Bottas a seat in F1, keep the Stroll family happy, and keep Lewis happy. Only problem with that is where does George fit in all of it? I can't see him staying at Williams for yet another season, and AM have spent big on Vettel. Another option if it went this way is Bottas back down to Williams, Stroll to Mercedes and Russell to AM. But the most likely outcome is simply Russell to Mercedes in a straight swap with Bottas
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Obviously Stroll Snr and Wolff are very good friends, and Toto has shares in AM (as well as Williams and Mercedes, in case you wondered) so it could be seen as a way to find Bottas a seat in F1, keep the Stroll family happy, and keep Lewis happy. Only problem with that is where does George fit in all of it? I can't see him staying at Williams for yet another season, and AM have spent big on Vettel. Another option if it went this way is Bottas back down to Williams, Stroll to Mercedes and Russell to AM. But the most likely outcome is simply Russell to Mercedes in a straight swap with Bottas
    George very clearly announced his willingness to be a team player at the Hungary Grand Prix this weekend. On the radio, he told his team to “prioritise Nicky - use me to maximise his chances”. This was an entirely unnecessary thing to say to the Williams team who would make their decisions based on maximising their points haul for the day anyway - but his words were pretty obviously aimed at Mercedes and Toto Wolff in particular.
    I’m not saying George getting the tyre testing gig this week is anything to do with that, but he’s clearly bending over backwards to accommodate Toto. And rightly so. He’s a great talent, but Merc need to see that he’ll do what’s best for them, not just for himself. He also knows he’ll get a first class apprenticeship alongside Hamilton, and that’ll suit both George and Toto down to the ground.

If George doesn’t get the Merc number 2 seat next year I’ll be gobsmacked.
    And if he doesn't get it, I'd expect to see him courting pastures new, and hoping his career goes more Sainz than Ricciardo
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Using that logic, why not Mazepin?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    George very clearly announced his willingness to be a team player at the Hungary Grand Prix this weekend. On the radio, he told his team to “prioritise Nicky - use me to maximise his chances”. This was an entirely unnecessary thing to say to the Williams team who would make their decisions based on maximising their points haul for the day anyway - but his words were pretty obviously aimed at Mercedes and Toto Wolff in particular.
    I’m not saying George getting the tyre testing gig this week is anything to do with that, but he’s clearly bending over backwards to accommodate Toto. And rightly so. He’s a great talent, but Merc need to see that he’ll do what’s best for them, not just for himself. He also knows he’ll get a first class apprenticeship alongside Hamilton, and that’ll suit both George and Toto down to the ground.

And if he doesn't get it, I'd expect to see him courting pastures new, and hoping his career goes more Sainz than Ricciardo
    If George doesnt get the Mercedes seat this year then he'll definitely be in the Williams next term.

Just depends on whether he's prepared to piss about all over again next season as its just going be a repeat of all the talk

Part of me wants to see him in the McLaren alongside Norris first, but they wont get rid of Ricciardo and really hope Daniel manages to sort this run of form out - Regardless, want to see Russell / Norris as a future Mercedes line up!!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Yes, I noticed that and thought similar. Hamilton is also making sure he gives Bottas credit now whenever he can and I think what pressure he can bring to the table will be supporting the Finn.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Dan Ticktum has been released from the Williams Driver Academy... Ticktum has said its because he doesnt have a future with the team for 2022 but its very ironic timing given his comments about Latifi over the last few days.

Although he's claimed the release happened before the Latifi comments

Which I suppose could make sense as to why he stupidly came out with them

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/williams-releases-ticktum-from-f1-junior-programme/6641659/
  • Options
    Aston Martin have withdrawn their appeal after Vettel was DSQ from the Hungarian GP

Means a few more points for Williams as a result :)
  • Options
    For some reason, not sure why, I’ve avoided watching the Netflix drive to survive program. But as I’ve been on holiday, I’ve just binged all three seasons in the last few days. So forgive me for being well behind on this!

I have to say, it was compelling viewing, which I didn’t expect. The episode on Anthoine Hubert and Pierre Gasly was particularly moving, as was the episode about Grosjean’s crash in Bahrain. 
    Gunther Steiner is mental and is tv gold and Cyril Abiteboul is amusing too, while showing a bit of a human side to being a team principal.

I did find some elements a little irritating though. For example, the amount of screen time given to Daniel Ricciardo and Christian Horner (and ginger spice ffs). Maybe it’s just me, but I just don’t think Ricciardo is funny or charming. At all. He’s always struck me as the sort of person a friend of a friend introduces you to, (claiming he’s a “legend” or “hilarious”) and you find yourself making excuses just to get away from him after 3 minutes. This program reinforced this view! Also, he’s a decent driver, but not as good as he thinks he is. As for Horner, he’s just a fucking bellend who thinks he knows everything and can’t admit to making a mistake. Ever.

Also, I know a lot of it was about the politics and behind the scenes stuff, but some of their choices of race action to show was strange and gave quite a false impression of how things went down. For example, in the 2019 season, you’d be forgiven for thinking Hamilton was a dreadful driver and Verstappen was faultless given the skewed way the action was presented. I actually started wondering if this contributed to how much hate Hamilton gets!

Not a perfect show, but pretty good as long as you take it with a pinch of salt. It’s helped fill the mid season break anyway!
  • Options
    DTS isn't bad , but I too found the overuse of Horner grating . Just like when Sky have him on the pitwall . He just loves the limelight and any chance to stir the pot. 
  • Options
    Sergio Perez has signed a new one year deal @ Red Bull
  • Options
    Sergio Perez has signed a new one year deal @ Red Bull
    Makes sense , I don't think Gasly wants to go back to the main team