Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Really is ridiculous and you just know that Russell is the sort of person who'll see it as a bitter sweet moment, but in a small way makes up for missing out on a podium in Sakhir.

Also great for Williams, was going to be difficult for Alfa Romeo to haul back seven points, but now they've got to try and make up 16.5 which'll be extremely difficult.

Just a shame as would have loved to have seen how he'd have coped in between Verstappen / Hamilton.
  • Yup thats the result... Race is over
  • edited August 2021
    Sad thing is that they didn't cancel the race because they needed to declare a race result so that the fans didn't get their money back. Happy that George's qualifying was rewarded but only reason to be satisfied with the farce.
  • Best result Russell could have hoped for, if the race was run in better he would have finished with less points and no trophy, maybe picking up an 8th or 9th again if he was lucky. 
  • Latifi in the points too. Great result for Williams but an unsatisfying sham of a “spectacle” for the fans. 
  • Sad thing is that they didn't cancel the race because they needed to declare a race result so that the fans didn't get their money back. Happy that George's qualifying was rewarded but only reason to be satisfied with the farce.
    I’d imagine they’ll refund fans. There’ll be a big backlash if they don’t. F1 could do without the bad publicity 
  • Sad thing is that they didn't cancel the race because they needed to declare a race result so that the fans didn't get their money back. Happy that George's qualifying was rewarded but only reason to be satisfied with the farce.
    I’d imagine they’ll refund fans. There’ll be a big backlash if they don’t. F1 could do without the bad publicity 
    It is down to the Belgian organisers of the event, who have incurred all the costs, not f1. Now what do we know about Belgian paymasters?
  • Sponsored links:

• As an outsider looking in, can anyone explain to me how they decided that? A bit of like deciding a football match by who scored the most goals in warm ups..?
  • As an outsider looking in, can anyone explain to me how they decided that? A bit of like deciding a football match by who scored the most goals in warm ups..?
    Pretty much except for the fact that qualifying is all of the drivers giving 100+% to decide who starts where in the race.
    Still think, though, that two laps behind a safety car, where overtaking is not allowed, is a terrible way to decide the distribution of points, even if it is only half points (12.5 for 1st, instead of 25, down to 0.5 for 10th, instead of 1point).
  • edited August 2021
    As an outsider looking in, can anyone explain to me how they decided that? A bit of like deciding a football match by who scored the most goals in warm ups..?
    Pretty much except for the fact that qualifying is all of the drivers giving 100+% to decide who starts where in the race.
    Still think, though, that two laps behind a safety car, where overtaking is not allowed, is a terrible way to decide the distribution of points, even if it is only half points (12.5 for 1st, instead of 25, down to 0.5 for 10th, instead of 1point).
    If they switch to the "new" mini race (racette!) qualifying format, it would make this sort of thing more acceptable, as at least they would have actually raced at some time over the weekend.
  • I think the rules seem wrong. Maybe they are there for financial, contractual reasons but there was no race yesterday so there shouldn't be any points. 
  • Ridiculous rule, 2 laps behind the safety car is nowhere near enough for a race to be awarded any points, surely the threshold should be at least quarter distance
  • edited August 2021
    Lewis really didnt have a good day yesterday going by his Radio message

You'll have to click on it to hear
  • Ridiculous rule, 2 laps behind the safety car is nowhere near enough for a race to be awarded any points, surely the threshold should be at least quarter distance
    Didn't even stick to their own rules, it's 2 laps minimum, and a red flag means the classification is taken from the lap before the red flag is shown, so should have been classified from the end of the first lap, which means 2 laps minimum wasn't met and no points are awarded.

FIA come out and say "well Max crossed the line 3 times so it counts"
    Problem with that was qualifying wasn’t completed either!
  • Kimi announces his retirement. Paves the way for Bottas to Alfa and George to Mercedes
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Kimi announces his retirement. Paves the way for Bottas to Alfa and George to Mercedes
    Yup this was the announcement that was needed to start the entire domino effect with the driver market for next year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Might get an announcement this weekend, or Alfa are holding it for Monza 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Might get an announcement this weekend, or Alfa are holding it for Monza 
    Mercedes wouldnt steal Red Bull / Max Verstappen's thunder @ the Dutch Grand Prix would they...? ;)
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Might get an announcement this weekend, or Alfa are holding it for Monza 
    Mercedes wouldnt steal Red Bull / Max Verstappen's thunder @ the Dutch Grand Prix would they...? ;)

Announcing George would ruin Christians weekend entirely , so yes I fully expect it. 
  • Bottas at Alfa
    George to Mercedes
    De Vries also to Alfa apparently, which would surprise me as Alfa have the ties with Ferrari and that would be 2 Mercedes "family" drivers.
    Albon to Williams
  • sam3110 said:
    Bottas at Alfa
    George to Mercedes
    De Vries also to Alfa apparently, which would surprise me as Alfa have the ties with Ferrari and that would be 2 Mercedes "family" drivers.
    Albon to Williams
    Ferrari dont have the same relationship with Alfa anymore on the Grid so the latter dont have to accept their Academy Drivers if they dont want to anymore - de Vries to Alfa would make a lot of sense...

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-news-reports-alfa-romeo-looking-to-ditch-ferrari-f1-engines-for-mercedes-in-bombshell-update/
  • edited September 2021
    Kimi tests positive for Covid, Kubica drafted in . 

• Shame for Kimi what with it being his last year
  • Shame for Kimi what with it being his last year
    Especially in the middle of a triple header. This obviously puts him out of Monza too.