Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Great to see... Shame in a way, would have loved it had he taken Williams back to the top
    He's done a fantastic job for Williams over the last couple of years.
  • Great news for him and also for British motorsport in general. Like him or not, the sucess that Lewis has enjoyed has had a massive impact on the popularity of F1 in this country and hopefully George can continue this when LH retires. 

do you think he's going to be allowed to race him or will he be an out and out support driver or somewhere in between?

• Great news for him and also for British motorsport in general. Like him or not, the sucess that Lewis has enjoyed has had a massive impact on the popularity of F1 in this country and hopefully George can continue this when LH retires. 

do you think he's going to be allowed to race him or will he be an out and out support driver or somewhere in between?

I hope they'll be allowed to race , but I think it will be something in between. It's a difficult one to really know how it's going to work. 

Good question. LH will obviously be number 1 but would imagine they'll let them race up to a point. Sure Russell will be fairly happy being number 2 until Lewis packs it in though.
  • I reckon if Russell can hold his own amongst Verstappen and Hamilton then he'll be allowed to race.

Think if he struggles then we'll see team orders like what we saw with Bottas on Sunday

What'll be interesting is the battle between Verstappen | Russell as thats something we should see for at least a decade now, provided that the latter doesnt completely flop - What'll be equally interesting is if Hamilton struggles to keep up with Russell.

Would Hamilton accept team orders if HE was the one in Bottas' shoes in the last race?
  • He'll be allowed to race him until Mercedes are in 1 and 2 for the race, and then they'll hold position. 

Reliability and fortune early on in the season will determine who will be the support driver and who will win the WDC, if Hamilton DNFs in the first couple of races and Russell wins them, I'd expect them to back Russell and instruct Hamilton to support and pick up as many points as possible for the WCC, as that's what the teams value the most.

The question then will be, will Hamilton be ok with that? Bottas has never really pushed him throughout a whole season, and usually when teams have 2 "alphas" they butt heads and crash into eachother until the team steps in and sets a hierarchy
  • I'd imagine they are hoping that George will take over as number one when Lewis calls it a day which would hopefully mean he'll be allowed to race (as long as he has something to race for rather than just nicking points off a team mate)
  • What having George in the Mercedes does do is massively puts the pressure on Checo in the second Red Bull to step up to the plate . 
  • For me, with the reset next season, I'm praying the cars are a lot closer in performance again, as I believe Hamilton and Russell is a very strong pairing, as are Norris and Ricciardo and Leclerc and Sainz, 3 teams who won't necessarily have a number 1 and a number 2 driver
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    For me, with the reset next season, I'm praying the cars are a lot closer in performance again, as I believe Hamilton and Russell is a very strong pairing, as are Norris and Ricciardo and Leclerc and Sainz, 3 teams who won't necessarily have a number 1 and a number 2 driver
    Don't rule changes tend to break the pack apart? I'm expecting a big gap like the Mercs enjoyed with Ham / Ros (maybe not quite as big as that). It'll then take a few years to bring them back together.

As someone mentioned, at the start they'll be on even footing. If there comes a point close to the summer break when one is way ahead challenging for the title with another driver then the team orders will come into it more.
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Hamilton doesn’t like quick team mates , don’t forget 
    Erm - like Alonso who he beat in his rookie year? Rosberg who he beat 3 out of 4 seasons and drove the guy to retirement? Button who he beat 2 out of 3 seasons?

Anyway it’s different this time. George is at the start of his career and Lewis at the end ….. but LH has thrived on challenges his whole career and isn’t exactly gonna change now.
    Yes - he didn’t like any of them
    Oh come on. You were clearly trying to suggest he doesn’t like having a fast teammate challenging him, not that he didn’t like them personally.

The constant Hamilton bashing amongst f1 fans is really getting tiresome.
    He’s arguably the greatest of all time. The way people diminish his achievements is absurd.
    Sorry for expressing an opinion that goes against yours;  I must change my mind. 
    You’re entitled to your opinion and I welcome opposing views.
    I’m saying your attempts to undermine his achievements are absurd.
    Here’s why:
    You brought up a tired and demonstrably false chestnut by transparently intimating that he can’t cope in an environment where he’s challenged by a teammate. (This is the tiresome bit - it’s not about you disagreeing with me, it’s about you recycling a load of old disproven shit to suit the narrative you’ve chosen to go with. I half expect you to talk about him being a tax dodger next.) This was then, as ever, shown to be false by another poster, so you responded by pretending you meant something else. 
    I have to admit, this is why I reacted. I generally ignore these tropes because they’re so daft. It annoyed me because instead of engaging in discussion, you were dishonest about it.
    Now, after being called out, you’ve resorted to the classic lashing out of someone cornered in a discussion: “Oh, so I’m not allowed my own opinion then? Well excuuuuuuuse me!” All that does is confirm to me that you aren’t able to follow up your argument.

So please, continue to express opinions that go against mine. But if you’re challenged, you can’t just cover your ears and shout “I can’t hear you!” and expect it all to just go away. I’m happy to engage with someone on here on a topic I’m interested in and I’m willing to listen to opposing views, but you have to back your arguments up and discuss. 
    I welcome friendly argument with you and I’m sure sometimes you’ll be right, sometimes you’ll be wrong and sometimes we’ll have to agree to disagree.
    I’m often wrong, as my wife will gladly tell you. 😎
    But I don’t think I’m wrong here.
    Looks like the guy on the BBC agrees with me, to some degree.  Doesn't mean either of us are right of course. 
  • The financial and technical reset for 2022 will allow for significant changes and is going to make for a fascinating and closer season for a few manufacturers.

Firstly, Mercedes will have saved a percentage of money with their new driver contracts - particularly with the Bottas/Russell switch - this will be key and will effect Ferrari more than most I suspect.

Secondly, I reckon Russell will adapt to the technical changes better than Hamilton - and that's no slight on Lewis.
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Erm - like Alonso who he beat in his rookie year? Rosberg who he beat 3 out of 4 seasons and drove the guy to retirement? Button who he beat 2 out of 3 seasons?

Anyway it’s different this time. George is at the start of his career and Lewis at the end ….. but LH has thrived on challenges his whole career and isn’t exactly gonna change now.
    Oh come on. You were clearly trying to suggest he doesn’t like having a fast teammate challenging him, not that he didn’t like them personally.

He’s arguably the greatest of all time. The way people diminish his achievements is absurd.
    Sorry for expressing an opinion that goes against yours;  I must change my mind. 
    Here’s why:
    You brought up a tired and demonstrably false chestnut by transparently intimating that he can’t cope in an environment where he’s challenged by a teammate. (This is the tiresome bit - it’s not about you disagreeing with me, it’s about you recycling a load of old disproven shit to suit the narrative you’ve chosen to go with. I half expect you to talk about him being a tax dodger next.) This was then, as ever, shown to be false by another poster, so you responded by pretending you meant something else. 
    I have to admit, this is why I reacted. I generally ignore these tropes because they’re so daft. It annoyed me because instead of engaging in discussion, you were dishonest about it.
    Now, after being called out, you’ve resorted to the classic lashing out of someone cornered in a discussion: “Oh, so I’m not allowed my own opinion then? Well excuuuuuuuse me!” All that does is confirm to me that you aren’t able to follow up your argument.

So please, continue to express opinions that go against mine. But if you’re challenged, you can’t just cover your ears and shout “I can’t hear you!” and expect it all to just go away. I’m happy to engage with someone on here on a topic I’m interested in and I’m willing to listen to opposing views, but you have to back your arguments up and discuss. 
    I welcome friendly argument with you and I’m sure sometimes you’ll be right, sometimes you’ll be wrong and sometimes we’ll have to agree to disagree.
    Looks like the guy on the BBC agrees with me, to some degree.  Doesn't mean either of us are right of course. 
    I assume you mean the Andrew Benson piece?
    Yeah, it’s fair to say there has been tension between Hamilton and teammates in the past, and Benson mentions Alonso and Rosberg by name, but I don’t think that article tells us anything we didn’t know. The fact is, two competing drivers within a team will have tensions and those tensions will ramp up if the title race gets close, but that’s not just Hamilton, that’s every driving team that have ever battled each other for position.
    I don’t remember anyone saying “Ayrton Senna/Alain Prost doesn’t like quick teammates” when they were battling each other at McLaren, for example.

My original point was that this sort of comment is only ever directed at Hamilton and it’s deliberately used to diminish him, either as a driver or a personality. I don’t know why there are so many people who seem to despise him, but I can’t remember another driver coming in for so much undeserved hatred from so many people. It’s really bizarre as all he’s ever done wrong, as far as I can tell, is sometimes be a bit aggressive on track and sometimes be a bit cheesy off it.
    Its clear that you and I disagree on him - I don’t know whether it is his driving or his personality that you take issue with, but I do respect your opinion, even if I disagree with it.

Anyway, glad we could move on to friendly discourse. 👍🏼
  • Winners want to win.
  • Nicholas Latifi and Alex Albon have been confirmed for Williams next year

Great to see Alex back, especially what with taking over from his mate
  • Teams getting business done early now. Only question now is who gets to place a driver in the second seat at Alfa? If it's Ferrari, do they keep Giovinazzi, or let him go, move Schumi jr up and promote Illott to Haas? Or do Mercedes get it and De Vries takes over from Giovinazzi?
  • edited September 2021
    sam3110 said:
    Teams getting business done early now. Only question now is who gets to place a driver in the second seat at Alfa? If it's Ferrari, do they keep Giovinazzi, or let him go, move Schumi jr up and promote Illott to Haas? Or do Mercedes get it and De Vries takes over from Giovinazzi?
    Just saw on twitter its likely to be Zhou from F2 with De Vries out of the running.

Seems he'll be bringing £30m with him

Guess it makes sense as he can switch to Alpine when Alonso retires, Pouchaire can then replace him at Alfa
  • sam3110 said:
    Teams getting business done early now. Only question now is who gets to place a driver in the second seat at Alfa? If it's Ferrari, do they keep Giovinazzi, or let him go, move Schumi jr up and promote Illott to Haas? Or do Mercedes get it and De Vries takes over from Giovinazzi?
    Just saw on twitter its likely to be Zhou from F2 with De Vries out of the running.

Seems he'll be bringing £30m with him

Guess it makes sense as he can switch to Alpine when Alonso retires, Pouchaire can then replace him at Alfa
    So in the Mercedes/Ferrari battle for influence over Alfa, Renault wins?
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

Here’s why:

I assume you mean the Andrew Benson piece?
    Yeah, it’s fair to say there has been tension between Hamilton and teammates in the past, and Benson mentions Alonso and Rosberg by name, but I don’t think that article tells us anything we didn’t know. The fact is, two competing drivers within a team will have tensions and those tensions will ramp up if the title race gets close, but that’s not just Hamilton, that’s every driving team that have ever battled each other for position.
    I don’t remember anyone saying “Ayrton Senna/Alain Prost doesn’t like quick teammates” when they were battling each other at McLaren, for example.

My original point was that this sort of comment is only ever directed at Hamilton and it’s deliberately used to diminish him, either as a driver or a personality. I don’t know why there are so many people who seem to despise him, but I can’t remember another driver coming in for so much undeserved hatred from so many people. It’s really bizarre as all he’s ever done wrong, as far as I can tell, is sometimes be a bit aggressive on track and sometimes be a bit cheesy off it.
    Its clear that you and I disagree on him - I don’t know whether it is his driving or his personality that you take issue with, but I do respect your opinion, even if I disagree with it.

Anyway, glad we could move on to friendly discourse. 👍🏼
    He’s a sensational driver but I’ve never taken to him as a bloke.  That doesn’t mean I don’t respect his achievements. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leclerc just came on the radio to the pits in practice frantically saying he needed to box. When asked why he just replied ‘can’t say on radio’.

Me thinks Charles was about to lose his rear.
  • edited September 2021
    Leclerc just came on the radio to the pits in practice frantically saying he needed to box. When asked why he just replied ‘can’t say on radio’.

Me thinks Charles was about to lose his rear.
    Either that or Charles was the culprit for the bomb that scarred Lewis in Spa and still has a bad belly
  • Yep Leclerc now receiving medical evaluation for a health related issue.

Wonder if a driver has ever missed a race with the shits?

Oh poor bloke... I was joking initially, thought you were saying that he had a problem with the rear of his car that he didnt want to discuss 

Oh poor bloke... I was joking initially, thought you were saying that he had a problem with the rear of his car that he didnt want to discuss 
    Ah yeah that was my polite way of wondering if he needed a shit!

Rumours going around he shat himself!
  • Would they let them sub in a driver this late?
  • sam3110 said:
    Would they let them sub in a driver this late?
    What with Sainz’s accident this must be the worst build up to a home race they could have.

Who’s the reserve - Kvyat? Problem is Charles has already qualified so guess not 
  • sam3110 said:
    What with Sainz’s accident this must be the worst build up to a home race they could have.

Who’s the reserve - Kvyat? Problem is Charles has already qualified so guess not 
    Ilott apparently, and Giovinazzi, I'd guess if they were prepared and it happened before the weekend Giovinazzi would move up to Ferrari and Ilott in at Alfa Romeo, giving the unique thing of both Alfa drivers being reserve drivers in the same race, but it's all too late for that I guess
  • Just caught up and watched the sprint race. Hamilton and Mercedes have well and truly fucked it there. Hamilton stuck behind the McLarens while Verstappen disappears down the road despite not being in the fastest car for the first time in a while because they’ve decided to let Bottas start at the back with an engine change.

Hamilton needs a great start tomorrow to compensate for the shit start he had today. 
  • sam3110 said:

Thought it was Leclerc who had the 'accident' ?