Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Looked like a racing incident to me which would have happened if you swapped the cars. No driver is giving an inch as we witnessed at the start of the race. If you punish one you are showing bias. 
  • Interesting how differently Wolff and Horner deal with incidents in public.
    Wolff is showing real restraint there whereas Horner complains in public.
  • Interesting how differently Wolff and Horner deal with incidents in public.
    Wolff is showing real restraint there whereas Horner complains in public.
    Verstappen didnt do well in his interview either did he...?
  • @ForeverAddickted that is one scary picture.
  • Sounds like Horner is trying to restrain himself as well here - Learnt his lesson from Silverstone
  • edited September 2021
    Looking at the replays, there was a similarity with the start with Verstappen not giving Hamilton any room and Hamilton took avoiding action. As a result he lost a place to Norris which compromised him a bit. If the stewards want to stop this, they give penalties but they didn't and it was probably correct not to. But given that they didn't earlier on, they can't penalise Hamilton and Verstappen had the option to duck out as Hamilton did but he also had the option not to and have a crash.
  • Sponsored links:

• August 12th 2021.

Max Verstappen is a tough racing driver. But he insists he is not aggressive. There’s something about that term he doesn’t like.

“I feel like I just race hard,” Verstappen tells The Race in an exclusive interview.

“I don’t feel like I race aggressive. Of course, I will make it difficult if people will try to pass me. I will always try to make it difficult for them, to put them in difficult positions.

“But I think my awareness of where I can position my car is really good and I haven’t been involved in having another car off the track. I have zero penalty points. I think that says quite a lot.

“I have been racing hard my whole career. And the last few years, the aggressive approach is out. I’m just making it more difficult for people.

“Of course, some people might think a bit different about that, but I actually think that the racing side is a really strong point of mine and I also really know how to stay out of trouble.

OK Max, whatever you say.....

• Seen video footage where it looks like Verstappen is still trying to accelerate even with his car still on top of Hamilton when for all he knew his wheel was on Hamilton's head.
  • Seen video footage where it looks like Verstappen is still trying to accelerate even with his car still on top of Hamilton when for all he knew his wheel was on Hamilton's head.
    Lol well that's bollocks isn't it, trying to paint it that Max wouldn't care if he's driving on a rivals helmet, like he's willing to kill Hamilton to win? He may act like a bellend at times but he's not out to kill anyone for fucks sake, ridiculous comment
  • sam3110 said:
    Seen video footage where it looks like Verstappen is still trying to accelerate even with his car still on top of Hamilton when for all he knew his wheel was on Hamilton's head.
    Lol well that's bollocks isn't it, trying to paint it that Max wouldn't care if he's driving on a rivals helmet, like he's willing to kill Hamilton to win? He may act like a bellend at times but he's not out to kill anyone for fucks sake, ridiculous comment
    He isn’t saying he tried to kill him though is he.

I think it will be deemed a racing incident - but this is what comes when Max was bought up as he was by a dad like Jos. Kid was terrified to ever lose in karting and this is what comes of it 
  • sam3110 said:
    Seen video footage where it looks like Verstappen is still trying to accelerate even with his car still on top of Hamilton when for all he knew his wheel was on Hamilton's head.
    Didn't say he was trying to kill him but what is clear to see is that his car goes over Hamilton, the halo has completely saved him, then Max tries to accelerate when his car is on top, then he gets out and walks off and doesn't even bother to check if Hamilton is ok. The bloke is a complete prick.
  • Your comment was pure sensationalism, like most of the worst kind of journalism.

"OMG he tried to accelerate whilst on top of Hamilton, he could have been on his head! Imagine what could have happened"

That's the way you painted it, and you know it.

I agree the guy is a bellend, but the overreaction to literally anything he does, from British fans and the media, is completely OTT
  • edited September 2021
    Morally Verstappen is mostly to blame but you don't get penalties for being morally mostly in the wrong.  
  • It is a racing incident.

What I’m finding really hard to get my head around is that without that halo we could be looking at a horrific accident. Thank heavens for that piece of kit.

I was already shouting at the telebox at how Verstappen spoke to his team after the pit stop incident, so when I saw him just stomp passed Hamilton without even seeing wether he was ok or not left me seething.

And don’t give me crap about Hamilton still reversing so he knew he was ok. The Geezer had a tyre on his head, how the hell do you know it’s the driver that’s doing it?
  • 3 place grid penalty in the next race and 2 penalty points for verstappen.
    👍🏼
    Do Red Bull just take the Engine Penalty next race now as well?
  • Sponsored links:

• 3 place grid penalty in the next race and 2 penalty points for verstappen.
    👍🏼
    So basically given Max the same penalty that Lewis got at Silverstone...

• It is a racing incident.

What I’m finding really hard to get my head around is that without that halo we could be looking at a horrific accident. Thank heavens for that piece of kit.

I was already shouting at the telebox at how Verstappen spoke to his team after the pit stop incident, so when I saw him just stomp passed Hamilton without even seeing wether he was ok or not left me seething.

And don’t give me crap about Hamilton still reversing so he knew he was ok. The Geezer had a tyre on his head, how the hell do you know it’s the driver that’s doing it?
    I keep seeing this argument about how LH was still trying to reverse the car out so MV knew he was ok - but if LH was trying to reverse, why did MV just walk directly behind Hamilton’s car? If he knew he was trying to reverse, this would be not just incredibly dangerous, but also incredibly stupid.
  • Verstappen reaping what he sowed. If you refuse to give an inch you should expect to not be given an inch either. If you then refuse to preempt that you won’t be given any space and react appropriately then you will get into accidents. He was quite happy to squeeze Hamilton at Silverstone and at the first chicane today, so should expect and accept the favour will be returned.

Hamilton not completely blameless in either of the comings together he and Verstappen have had, but Verstappen has to understand that it’s his uncompromising style and the fact that he cannot intimidate someone like Hamilton like maybe lesser drivers have allowed him to do down the years, when less has been riding on each race, that are at the root of why he and Hamilton are now where they are having twice had a go a killing each other. That sounds dramatic and obviously it would be no ones intention to do so but both incidents have been scary, for different reasons.

His petulant reaction to not checking Hamilton was okay just speaks to the unpleasant person he is. He needs someone to tell him some home truths but I don’t think he’ll get that from his Dad or the Red Bull management. 

I don’t think this will be the last incident we see between these two. 

And this self driven narrative that he’s a clean driver is obviously bollocks. Ocon in Brazil for example. He’s just spent the last 4 years of his career usually in his own race in 3rd place,  10 seconds behind 2nd and 39 seconds ahead of 4th. Easy not to get into crashes when you’re never being overtaken or having to overtake. Things are different this year now he’s regularly involved in wheel to wheel racing with an equally talented and determined driver. 

• edited September 2021
    3 place grid penalty in the next race and 2 penalty points for verstappen.
    👍🏼

To be honest, I didn't expect it but I think it is fair after reflecting on it. Lewis got a penalty at Silverstone because whilst the collision was deemed not totally his fault it was considered mostly his fault. I didn't think he should have so Max probably shouldn't have, but he did so this is a consistent ruling. I suppose whilst the nature of the collision was different, the blame was mostly Max's.

Hamilton still won at Silverstone, and overcame the penalty. If the next race was a good overtaking circuit Max could take the engine penalty he is going to have to take at some point, as is Hamilton, but I don't think it is so this helps Mercedes and it is up to Max to overcome it as Lewis did.
  • He can kick and scream but I had forgotten Lewis got a penalty. It is irrelevant if he overcame it. So it is consistent to give Max a penalty too. 
  • edited September 2021
    3 place grid penalty in the next race and 2 penalty points for verstappen.
    👍🏼

To be honest, I didn't expect it but I think it is fair after reflecting on it. Lewis got a penalty at Silverstone because whilst the collision was deemed not totally his fault it was considered mostly his fault. I didn't think he should have so Max probably shouldn't have, but he did so this is a consistent ruling. I suppose whilst the nature of the collision was different, the blame was mostly Max's.

Hamilton still won at Silverstone, and overcame the penalty. If the next race was a good overtaking circuit Max could take the engine penalty he is going to have to take at some point, as is Hamilton, but I don't think it is so this helps Mercedes and it is up to Max to overcome it as Lewis did.
    Yes. Personally I’d call them both racing incidents and leave it at that, but you can’t penalize the Silverstone incident and not today’s so, for once, the stewards have shown some level of consistency. 
  • Given that the Silverstone incident was on the first lap I was a little surprised that the incident @ T4 today was regarded as an opening lap, racing incident - Thought a penalty would have been harsh for that today as it did feel a racing incident, but ignoring the severity of a crash (no different to a simple challenge in Football that results in a red card just because it accidentally caused a broken leg) I felt that it was one rule for one, another rule for the other.