Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• I don't think Sochi is as good for overtaking as some are saying, although if you have a far better car it may be more straightforward. It is one of the best on tyres so I wouldn't be surprised if Red Bull pit very early and put on a set of hards for Max.
  • I don't think Sochi is as good for overtaking as some are saying, although if you have a far better car it may be more straightforward. It is one of the best on tyres so I wouldn't be surprised if Red Bull pit very early and put on a set of hards for Max.
    I get the feeling RB knew that the Mercs were stronger so took the plunge given the penalty. If he didn't have the 3 place drop he'd have taken it later. Otherwise think they'd have taken it in Brazil, which I think is what the Mercs will do.
  • FP3 has been cancelled due to the amount of rain.

Going to try and get Quali later today or it'll be tomorrow morning.

See echos of Spa here
  • Mazepin just misses out on making it to Q2…

by 4.9 seconds. 🙄

Ludicrous. Spoilt rich kid with zero talent. It’s a blight on the sport. 
  • George Russell through to Q3.
  • edited September 2021
    George Russell through to Q3.
    Great drive... Didnt expect that from his earlier laps

Wonder why Latifi didn't set a time - Just seen he's taking an engine penalty 
  • George Russell through to Q3.
    Great drive... Didnt expect that from his earlier laps

Wonder why Latifi didn't set a time - Just seen he's taking an engine penalty 
    And qualifies 3rd, with Lando getting pole. Hamilton hits pit wall when switching to slicks and only gets 4th
  • Lando pole!
  • Russell 3rd!
  • Sponsored links:

• Bloody predicted Norris as well going into Q3
  • Hamilton 4th!
  • Have to say though, this season Hamilton has made quite a few mistakes. Not been helped by his team making some iffy decisions all year too, but I don’t think the team or the driver really deserve the title this year.
    I’d like to see him get his 8th title, and that’s compounded by simply not wanting Verstappen to win it this year.

But from a racing and strategy view, Hamilton and Mercedes have not covered themselves in glory all season. Ironically, if he does win, it’ll be the one season recently where nobody could throw the “But you had the best car” argument at him!
  • edited September 2021
    Lewis done himself there combined with the bad team decision to do an extra inter lap.

The extra inter lap was bizarre - they just need to copy everyone else but tried to be smart for no reason. That meant they were already under pressure to get the optimal number of slick warm up laps.

Then Lewis compounded it by sticking it in the wall.

Meanwhile Norris nails every decision.

All Merc had to do was pit a lap earlier for slicks. Just copy everyone else - they were already on pole. Just needed to match everyone else.
  • Russell could actually slaughter Hamilton at times in Quali next year
  • Russell could actually slaughter Hamilton at times in Quali next year
    If Mercedes get their car in good condition and sort their strategic heads out, Russell may well rip it up next year. 
    Hamilton won’t play second fiddle willingly, but if Russell starts quickly and gets on top, he won’t have much of a choice, much like Bottas doesn’t right now.
    Russell is the future. Both Toto and Lewis know that.
  • edited September 2021
    More evidence that the whole ‘Lewis is a brat’ is a load of rubbish.

He has just come up for his interview and there are no moans or excuses. “It’s all my fault, I messed up and made a mistake, and want to apologise to the team who I let down”… and then proceeds to congratulate a great job by Lando.

Dont get the hate.
    Absolutely agree. 100%
  • Three brits in the top four!
  • Sponsored links:

• WOW!!... Seems Bottas has taken a fifth engine change of the season.

Means he'll start from 17th

Hasnt done a great job at it so far but Mercedes clearly getting back there to stop Verstappen from advancing through the field
  • Bottas talking about wanting to get to the podium from 16th on the grid. Surely the best thing for the team is for him to get no higher than 10th, keeping Verstappen out of the points. 
  • I wasn't expecting that. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.
  • Bottas talking about wanting to get to the podium from 16th on the grid. Surely the best thing for the team is for him to get no higher than 10th, keeping Verstappen out of the points. 
    That's assuming he doesn't take Max out at T1
  • Hamilton needs to work his way to the win but can't afford an accident so the start is going to be key for him as other cars have less to lose.
    That's assuming he doesn't take Max out at T1
    That would be such bad form and I don’t condone it, but I would laugh if that happens. 😂
  • Pretty sure Bottas doesn’t give a shit at this stage and who can blame him
  • Great defence from Bottas there, really helps his teammate out. The sooner Russell replaces him the better.
  • Russell is doing a great job in third... Stroll couldn't past him at Zandvoort so not surprised to see him struggling