Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    As is often the case Bottas came up with the goods when it mattered.
    Great stuff from him to partially rescue the situation for Lewis and Mercedes.
    What a superb wing man he has been all these years…..Lewis and Mercedes owe him a huge amount of thanks and respect.
    He could have arguably gone on to be a world champion had the mercurial (once in a lifetime), Lewis not been around.
    I agree with that. Bottas is your perfect number two and I think a perfect number two in a close title race is probably better than two drivers slugging it out. The problem is, I would imagine, Hamilton is not getting any younger and Russell looks a talent that can't be held off for another season.

As for the race, it was probably right not to risk a lot of points and take the hit. Mercedes seems to have made a performance jump and if that can be sustained, they are well placed. Neither Hamilton or Verstappen can afford a DNF or big points loss.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I’ve been to busy to really follow it today but Why did he struggle so much with the new tires?

They all struggled for a few laps on new inters 
    So was it his fault for not coming in when they told him the first time or just a shit call
    Could argue either way. I feel like Hamilton was right and the team was wrong, but as @BigRedEvil points out, maybe not… 😳
    What would have happened if he had just ignored then & carried on driving ?? I was watching it yesterday & felt he should have stayed out. Seeing as he is the driver, in control of the car & knows better than anyone else how it is handling ( they can hardly haul him in by remote control can they) Surely the final decision should be left with the driver, as long as his team give him all the facts (which going by some of the radio messages no-one had a clue if the tyres could last all 58 laps)
  • Options
    I’ve been to busy to really follow it today but Why did he struggle so much with the new tires?

They all struggled for a few laps on new inters 
    So was it his fault for not coming in when they told him the first time or just a shit call
    Could argue either way. I feel like Hamilton was right and the team was wrong, but as @BigRedEvil points out, maybe not… 😳
    What would have happened if he had just ignored then & carried on driving ?? I was watching it yesterday & felt he should have stayed out. Seeing as he is the driver, in control of the car & knows better than anyone else how it is handling ( they can hardly haul him in by remote control can they) Surely the final decision should be left with the driver, as long as his team give him all the facts (which going by some of the radio messages no-one had a clue if the tyres could last all 58 laps)
    That’s the big question though isn’t it? Maybe he would’ve held on - that’s what I thought at the time - but on reflection, it looks like he wouldn’t…maybe! We’ll never know for sure!
  • Options
    There is a lot of data the driver doesn't have.  An experienced driver like Hamilton can outcall the strategists but there was a risk in staying out and he isn't in a position in terms of the title to take risks. I think he appreciated that after the race.
  • Options
    There is a lot of data the driver doesn't have.  An experienced driver like Hamilton can outcall the strategists but there was a risk in staying out and he isn't in a position in terms of the title to take risks. I think he appreciated that after the race.
    No question whatsoever that had Lewis been in the usual comfortable points lead he would have found himself at this time in the title race, he and most likely the team would have gone for it.
    However…..that is not the case as things stand at present.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Strange occurrence between Hamilton and Verstappen in 2nd practice.
    Racing down the pit straight. After Hamilton emerges ahead, Verstappen calls him a “Stupid idiot” on the radio and gives him the finger.
    I must admit, I’m not sure what benefit either of them thought they’d get from racing at that point, but interesting that it annoyed him.

https://youtu.be/mB-efb9OvB4
  • Options
    Strange occurrence between Hamilton and Verstappen in 2nd practice.
    Racing down the pit straight. After Hamilton emerges ahead, Verstappen calls him a “Stupid idiot” on the radio and gives him the finger.
    I must admit, I’m not sure what benefit either of them thought they’d get from racing at that point, but interesting that it annoyed him.

https://youtu.be/mB-efb9OvB4
    Hamilton basically getting under his skin Alex Ferguson style isnt he.

Max is potentially beginning to show the impatience and frustrations of the driver that we know all too well

Certainly wasnt the only thing that pissed him off yesterday
  • Options
    Crofty saying "Hamilton doesn't do mind games" on commentary haha ok mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Crofty saying "Hamilton doesn't do mind games" on commentary haha ok mate
    Cracks me up when commentators and pundits say stuff like that as if it’s a fact (and as if they have the inside track to know)!
    Ridiculous. 😂
  • Options
    Red Bull’s much improved lap times are somewhat alarming.
    Do I smell a rat?🤔
  • Options
    Do I smell a rat?🤔
    The reason why they took the penalties in the last couple of races, same as Mercedes. Fresh engines bring more power
  • Options
    Do I smell a rat?🤔
    Didnt realise that you were a Charlton fan Toto? ;)
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Do I smell a rat?🤔
    The reason why they took the penalties in the last couple of races, same as Mercedes. Fresh engines bring more power
    I was really alluding to the stark improvement between practice and qualifying.
  • Options
    Jamie Chadwick wins the W Series for the second year on the trot.

She's pretty dominate in that series, potentially deserves a test drive for Williams 
  • Options

She's pretty dominate in that series, potentially deserves a test drive for Williams 
    Think with Williams signing young American prospect Logan Sargent this week , that there's not too much chance of Jamie getting a test , unless she runs in the post Abu Dhabi test?
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Think with Williams signing young American prospect Logan Sargent this week , that there's not too much chance of Jamie getting a test , unless she runs in the post Abu Dhabi test?
    Yeah thats what Im hoping for her. 

I'm not one to call for things like this just for the tokenism, but if Chadwick cant get even a test drive in F1 then there isnt much hope for any woman to get themselves into the Sport. 
  • Options
    Anyone know what time is lights out?

Just trying to sort out kids bath time, got it on in the background!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Starts at 8pm.
  • Options
    Starts at 8pm.
    Loving the fact that I can relax with this start time and not have to worry about chivvying the missus around when we're out as Im panicking that I'll miss lights out.

Although do have to get the nipper to bed, he's going up early tonight!
  • Options
    Starts at 8pm.
    Loving the fact that I can relax with this start time and not have to worry about chivvying the missus around when we're out as Im panicking that I'll miss lights out.

Although do have to get the nipper to bed, he's going up early tonight!
    We’re on our way back from Greenwich, treated my wife and daughter to lunch for looking after me when I had covid. Had a great day mooching around, then a few beers before jumping on the train home.

Looking forward to this one. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Yeah thats what Im hoping for her. 

I'm not one to call for things like this just for the tokenism, but if Chadwick cant get even a test drive in F1 then there isnt much hope for any woman to get themselves into the Sport. 
    Problem is W series is the equivalent of a national formula 4 championship. I don’t even know if it gives enough super license points.

If she wins the mainstream Formula 3 series then I would agree. But then again - F1 is turning more than ever into a ‘whoever has the money’ formula. So I’m sure the test drive would go to the son of an oil magnate or something.
  • Options
    I'm in a guesthouse in eastern Slovakia at the moment and the WiFi is dodgy as hell.
    Don't expect to be able to catch tonight. Well pissed off.
  • Options
    This grid walk has been a bit of a mixed bag  :#
  • Options
    Got to love Martin Brundle on the grid.

Tries to talk with some freestyle rapper (Never heard of her), but he basically gets the arrogant cold shoulder whilst the bodyguards try and tell him to piss off, one of them just gets the response from Martin: "I can do that because I did!!"

Typically someone actually famous: Ben Stiller is then more than happy to have a chat with him.
  • Options
    FECKING EPIC START FROM HAMILTON
  • Options
    Great start, Max is holding onto him though, going to be a long race
  • Options
    Max gets the undercut - now 6.5 secs ahead