Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Max has a long way to go on these tyres
  • Options
    Such a strategic race this one
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Such a strategic race this one
    Can see Merc waiting until lap 42/43 and then going mediums for the final stint here

edit I was wrong, 18 laps is a hell of a long time to overturn an 8s lead
  • Options
    Going to be an exciting end here
  • Options
    5 laps and almost into DRS zone
  • Options
    Mercedes struggling in the dirty air?
  • Options
    Max has got this one I reckon 
  • Options
    Max will win this - Merc cocked up strategy by allowing the undercut. Verstappen done a good job in this stint and Lewis not enough of a pace delta and lost pace in the dirty air.
  • Options
    Mercedes stayed out a few laps too long. Gutted.
  • Options
    Wow what a drive Max
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Awesome race, Max and Lewis showed why they're a level beyond everyone else today
  • Options
    Most exciting race I've seen for a while in terms of fight for the win. Disappointed he didn't pip him at the end
  • Options
    Cracking race. Shame about the result. I feel sorry for people who find this boring.
  • Options
    Cracking race. Shame about the result. I feel sorry for people who find this boring.
    The tactical side of the race today really made up for the lack of overtakes
  • Options
    Mexico next, Red bull would be favourites
  • Options
    The tactical side of the race today really made up for the lack of overtakes
    Absolutely.
    So glad my wifi held up enough to watch it (albeit a bit buffery).
    There was a moment where I think Mercedes may have missed an opportunity - when Hamilton caught Tsunoda, Raikonnen and Alonso who were all concentrating on their own battle, I thought they may bring him in. He was always likely to get held up by them and so it proved. If he’d come in, it would’ve reduced the benefit of the younger tyres by 2 or 3 laps, but he would’ve come out 3 seconds closer to Verstappen with more laps to play with.

I dunno, maybe would’ve made no difference - these guys know what they’re doing far more than I do, but I was wondering if he lost the race right there when he lost 1.5 seconds in that lap trying to get past those three.
  • Options
    Typical America!! - Having Shaq O'Neal turning up in some horrid car with the trophy and then standing up on the balcony and nearly as tall as Verstappen without actually standing on the podium :D
  • Options
    Circuits remaining massively favour RB.

But I do think they threw everything at this season to win it. Merc have in comparison barely developed the car this season with an eye on the regs change in 2022.

I think they may have gone all in this season - and next year may be a bit of a shock.
    Think you may be right. And I hope so.

I don’t have anything against Red Bull as a team per se, and I admire Verstappen as a driver - he’s a generational talent - but I do have an issue with Christian Horner and with Verstappen’s attitude. 
    They have a bullshit, snidey, whingey, entitled approach that raises my hackles every time. 
    I’d find it very pleasing if they ended up with nothing this year despite throwing the kitchen sink at it, and then had to rebuild next year.

I’ve no doubt Verstappen will be a (probably multiple) world champion and a great one at that. I just don’t want him to win it yet. He’s still very young and has time on his side. I’d like to see him learn a little humility first. 
    And I’d rather Horner just fucked off with Ginger Spice and left us all alone. 😂
  • Options
    Mexico should be a Red Bull win , but would love for it to be Checo winning. That Baseball Stadium would absolutely erupt. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Mexico should be a Red Bull win , but would love for it to be Checo winning. That Baseball Stadium would absolutely erupt. 
    Could be interesting if Checo is leading Verstappen at the end. 
    Red Bull would really want to give the win to Max, but giving team orders to Checo to give the win up would be the worst kind of PR in Mexico.
  • Options
    Made it clear before on here I’m no fan of Verstappen but fair play that was a great drive from him today. Hamilton probably needed two more laps and I think he might have got him but Verstappen judged it ever well to look after the tires. A very good effort from Lewis too. I think Red Bull will probably get the championship over the line from here, but Mercedes while tying one hand behind their own back through halting car development, have still shown today that they and Hamilton can and will push them all the way. 

A fantastic season
    Agree with all of this, but the bold bit in particular. It’s been terrific.
  • Options
    If Mercedes hadn't of needed to raise the floor on their car I wonder how much impact that had as they were miles ahead in FP1.

This will go all the way and I expect possibly a DNF decides it. 
  • Options
    If Mercedes hadn't of needed to raise the floor on their car I wonder how much impact that had as they were miles ahead in FP1.

This will go all the way and I expect possibly a DNF decides it. 
    Did they only raise their floor then after FP1 because of those sausage curbs that got removed prior to the race? 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Red Bull would really want to give the win to Max, but giving team orders to Checo to give the win up would be the worst kind of PR in Mexico.
    Exactly, moving Checo aside at his home race would be an absolute PR gaff of the highest order from Red Bull. I think you'd just have to bank the points and tell Max to hold station. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Exactly, moving Checo aside at his home race would be an absolute PR gaff of the highest order from Red Bull. I think you'd just have to bank the points and tell Max to hold station. 
    Honestly don't think they'd care. Horner has said they'd rather win the drivers championship as "no one remembers who wins the constructors". Between him and Marko bending over for Max & Jos, if they see the chance to further extend the lead for Max, they'll take it.

They won't explicitly say it over team radio mind. Team orders would have been set out from before the race...You only have to look at how Checo yielded to Max on the first lap yesterday to know that's the case.
  • Options
    would all depend on where LH was, if he was third (and probably fourth) then id fully expect team orders but any lower and I reckon they'd let him see out the home victory 
  • Options
    Based on form there's not much chance of Checo leading Max anyway to be honest
  • Options
    Erm... Where have Mercedes pulled these laps from?