Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• edited September 2021
    Also, the “Shoey”. The worst celebration in all of sport. Bottas’ face was a picture, like someone on a stag do thinking “who the hell invited this clown”. 
  • edited September 2021
    I think the message from the stewards is that there is an expectation that most of the responsibility for avoiding a collision lies with the following car.
  • Unfortunately, it looks like he still thinks he’s in the right. 
    “We have to work together” was his mantra after the incident today. An effort to deflect from his own failings by suggesting that he’s making every effort to drive hard and fair, but nobody else is. 
    It’s the attitude and behaviour of a deluded narcissist who is, unfortunately, being constantly enabled by his support team.

For me personally, the real shame in this is that because he’s a genuinely excellent and exciting driver, I should be enjoying his successes far more than I am because he’s so entertaining behind the wheel. As a driver, he’s clearly championship material and, on balance, deserves the championship lead this year, especially given the oddly below par performances of Hamilton (and Mercedes).

But I just can’t bear him. His whole persona, his disregard for others, his lack of humility and his sense of entitlement. I would rather see anyone win at the moment*. I hope he matures into a better version of himself, then I might be happy to see him win.

*except for Mazepin. 😂
  • edited September 2021
    It is quite subtle. The lead car has the choice to yield or pass the choice to the chasing car. I suppose when that responsibility is passed on, the chasing car is the only one with the power to avoid. That is why Lewis was blamed and punished for Silverstone and why Max was punished today I imagine.
  • sam3110 said:
    Your comment was pure sensationalism, like most of the worst kind of journalism.

"OMG he tried to accelerate whilst on top of Hamilton, he could have been on his head! Imagine what could have happened"

That's the way you painted it, and you know it.

I agree the guy is a bellend, but the overreaction to literally anything he does, from British fans and the media, is completely OTT
    And what part of that isn't true?
  • edited September 2021
    I think this problem stems from the Schumacher days and possibly even before that to the Senna ones. Both great drivers but also both capable of pushing the limits of fair driving and largely getting away with it.

A number of drivers defend leads at the point of illegality or at least poor sportsmanship. Verstappen has been one of these from the start of his career. Hamilton is capable of it too, but it doesn't define him. Alonso can be put in the same category as Hamilton, but Verstappen is more in the Senna one where it becomes a game of dare.

If you are racing Verstappen for the title, you probably feel you have to play him at his own game and even in yesterday's race, if the authorities were serious about coming down hard on this kind of defensive blocking style, they would have pulled Verstappen up on it when he did it to Hamilton at the beginning of the race.

In the context of Verstappen getting away with it, Hamilton was never going to leave him space later in the race and what makes Max an objectionable little c u next Tuesday is that he expects him too. Hamilton technically had some blame, but you couldn't let Verstappen's blocking go and punish him. The difference is Hamilton pulled out and to a degree potentially compromised his race by backing out with a wheel touch, whereas Verstappen went straight into it with no avoiding action when it would have been easy for a driver with his skills to do so.

Maybe the solution going forwards is for the stewards to be ultra hard on the defensive car. But they have to be consistent and that can create a rod for your own backs. Because Hamilton won at Silverstone, many, including myself forgot he got a penalty in that race and it had to be that Verstappen got a penalty for the same reason. As he was out of the race, the penalty had to be applied to the next race.
  • Simple solution is for Horner to realise he can be a liability for the team and to stop pandering to his every whim and defending his mistakes and obvious recklessness.

And if Horner wants to do everything in his power to support and encourage him to deliver a World title for his paymasters at Re Bull, the FIA should step in.

Sundays crash, in my eyes, was MV purely taking his opportunity in getting LH out of the game as he was going to take the lead in the title race.

The fact he didn't check on LH, who he could have seriously injured - his left rear was still spinning madly for at least 20 seconds after the crash - and then deliberately walk round the back of the Mercedes in an attempt to stop it reversing out of the gravel track, was totally intentional.

Not a nice man at all.
  • Fine margins indeed. 
    Both team principals are probably praying they can get to the end of the season without their No. 1 drivers killing each other...
  • Sponsored links:

• 3 place grid penalty in the next race and 2 penalty points for verstappen.
    👍🏼
    Do Red Bull just take the Engine Penalty next race now as well?
    I missed this message yesterday - I was wondering about this too.
    I’m not sure if there’s anything stopping them doing this, but I really doubt they’ll do it because Sochi isn’t great for overtaking. They’ll probably take the penalty on a track where Verstappen can make up a lot of places.
  • edited September 2021
    3 place grid penalty in the next race and 2 penalty points for verstappen.
    👍🏼
    Do Red Bull just take the Engine Penalty next race now as well?
    I missed this message yesterday - I was wondering about this too.
    I’m not sure if there’s anything stopping them doing this, but I really doubt they’ll do it because Sochi isn’t great for overtaking. They’ll probably take the penalty on a track where Verstappen can make up a lot of places.
    This is a problem. I suppose another problem is the earlier you take the new engine, the more likely you will have to take another engine.
  • They'll take the engine penalty when Mercedes takes theirs - which is bound to happen.

And vice versa.
  • I don't think a 3 place penalty is enough to warrant them taking the new engine. He's likely to be on pole or second so will start 4th / 5th. All being well, Perez will let him through and he shouldn't have too much of an issue getting passed a Fez or McClaren. If he can't, then undercut will be used. Suspect the best they could hope for would be 5th if the front runners have no issues.

My money is leaving it as late as possible and taking it somewhere like Interlagos where it's a lot easier to overtake.
  • Whats this engine penalty you talk about?

Sorry, so many bloody rules now in F1 its hard to keep track.
  • edited September 2021
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Whats this engine penalty you talk about?

There is a limit to the number of engines that can be used to keep the costs down, otherwise the big teams would have a new engine every race. This season, it is three engines whereas last year it was four. With about 21 races, you are looking at an average of 7 races per engine and there are possibly 9 races remaining. Both Verstappen and Hamilton are on their third engine, Bottas took the hit in the race to have a fourth engine. Hamilton took his third in Belgium (the race before Italy) and Verstappen in Hungary, (the race before that). But Verstappen probably has an unusable one damaged at Silverstone.

Previous engines may still be useable but it is expected both Hamilton and Verstappen are going to have to have a fourth at some point. If the penalty is starting at the back of the grid, then you would want to take the hit in a race where you can make up places. Older engines have a power drop off but importantly are more likely to be unreliable.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Whats this engine penalty you talk about?

There is a limit to the number of engines that can be used to keep the costs down, otherwise the big teams would have a new engine every race. This season, it is three engines whereas last year it was four. With about 21 races, you are looking at an average of 7 races per engine and there are possibly 9 races remaining. Both Verstappen and Hamilton are on their third engine, Bottas took the hit in the race to have a fourth engine. Hamilton took his third in Belgium (the race before Italy) and Verstappen in Hungary, (the race before that). But Verstappen probably has an unusable one damaged at Silverstone.

Previous engines may still be useable but it is expected both Hamilton and Verstappen are going to have to have a fourth at some point. If the penalty is starting at the back of the grid, then you would want to take the hit in a race where you can make up places. Older engines have a power drop off but importantly are more likely to be unreliable.
    Ah ok.  Understood.  Thank you sir.  I'll put my hand down in class now :)
  • That’s what his natural hair looks like nowadays 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bit cheeky, MV taking the engine penalty at a race where they already have a grid one.
  • I think the grid penalty rolls over to the next race.
  • Addickted said:
    I think the grid penalty rolls over to the next race.
    Not true as far as I'm aware.
  • Addickted said:
    I think the grid penalty rolls over to the next race.
    I don’t think so. The 3 place penalty is effectively nullified. Them’s the breaks.

Interesting though, how Verstappen fans (or maybe just Hamilton haters) aren’t up in arms about how MVs penalty “isn’t really a punishment” like they were about Hamilton’s 10 second penalty.
    🙄
  • Bit cheeky, MV taking the engine penalty at a race where they already have a grid one.
    Red Bull playing the rules to their advantage. Nothing wrong with that, it’s the rules that are at fault. 
    I’m sure Horner would be whining about it if Mercedes did it though. 😂
  • Didn’t Bottas do exactly this last race? Had a grid penalty, took the new engine and started from the back of the grid?
  • Didn’t Bottas do exactly this last race? Had a grid penalty, took the new engine and started from the back of the grid?
    Ha! Yeah, I think you’re right. 
    I wasn’t really serious about Horner, but he is a Whingey little twat. 😂