Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Got goosebumps listening to the crowd there. Great session from the English drivers. 
  • edited July 2021
    Brilliant session even if Max lost out. That was some drive from Lewis and hopefully a sign that Red Bull aren’t going to walk this.

The sprint tomorrow will be really exciting and I’m almost disappointed that I’ll be at Dartford whilst it’s on!
  • So has Hamilton now got anothet pole on his record or does it go to the winner of the sprint race ? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    So has Hamilton now got anothet pole on his record or does it go to the winner of the sprint race ? 
    Goes on the winner of the sprint which I think is ridiculous 
  • I couldn’t bring myself to watch it. We’ve got most of our money back for the tickets but am so gutted I won’t be there. My daughter said she’s going to set the front room up on Sunday to make it like I’m watching it at the circuit (god knows how) and she’ll only let me in if I show my ticket.
    Great u got some money back , gutted u won’t b there but probably risky if your off on holiday, tell ur daughter u had full hospitality so a constant stream of drinks & snacks will make it more realistic 
  • MrOneLung said:
    So has Hamilton now got anothet pole on his record or does it go to the winner of the sprint race ? 
    I agree. He should have the pole on record and the winner of the sprint race should go on record as the winner of the sprint race!
  • MrOneLung said:
    I agree. He should have the pole on record and the winner of the sprint race should go on record as the winner of the sprint race!
    Yep that is bollox. 

You can do the fastest one lap qualification on Friday and then fastest lap on Saturday but have a puncture so don’t finish the sprint race and you don’t get a pole on your record. 
  • I don’t know why but I always pictured you as much older 

lovely photo 
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    I don’t know why but I always pictured you as much older 

lovely photo 
    Yeah I’m 45 but with the looks & body of a teenage athlete, sometimes it’s a curse ,women just look at me as a piece of meat 😎
  • edited July 2021
    The season which promised so much is beginning to die on it’s arse here. Plenty of midfield action but nothing to see at the front. Beginning to look as easy for Verstappen as it has at did for Hamilton in the last few years. Hamilton giving it all he’s got but no answer to Verstappen. Blew his chance off the grid and now disadvantaged for the main event tomorrow. 
  • George Russell to get a penalty for making contact with Sainz do we think?

It would tie in with the Leclerc incident @ the Styrian GP...
  • Overall I think that sprint race was a success, trying to be objective even though I’m disappointed it didn’t help Hamilton. A few bits of good action and Alonso rolling back the years on that opening lap. 
  • I disagree - I think it takes something away from the excitement ahead of tomorrow.

With a standard qualy there is always the sense of the unknown. Drivers who have pulled a worldly out on one lap can be out of position. Uncertainty reigns over who will have the race pace on full tanks.

That’s all gone now. The grid is now sorted in long run pace and I fear tomorrow will now suffer. We now know Max barring a miracle has the race pace so it takes some of the uncertainty away.
  • Would be surprised if it wasn't a +5 for George. Shame as it would drop him out of the top 10 and maybe make tomorrow a bit trickier. 

Sprint race was fine , however the truck lap afterwards was absolutely painful to watch. 

If it is Monza as the next experiment I can see it getting a bit dull , would slightly solve the utter tow diaster that is Q3 there though. 
  • Should make Alonso start from the back of the grid.

He was driving along the hanger straight like my MIL going on the Sevenoaks by pass.
  • I’m undecided on it. I loved qualifying on a Friday and it definitely makes me watch more F1 over the weekend. 

But even though I thought the first half of today’s race was great I worry that it’ll make tomorrow even more of a procession. Maybe we could do qualifying on a Friday for the race on Sunday with another event for bonus points on the Saturday? I’m not sure, I just don’t think this saturday sprint is quite right. 
  • I disagree - I think it takes something away from the excitement ahead of tomorrow.

With a standard qualy there is always the sense of the unknown. Drivers who have pulled a worldly out on one lap can be out of position. Uncertainty reigns over who will have the race pace on full tanks.

That’s all gone now. The grid is now sorted in long run pace and I fear tomorrow will now suffer. We now know Max barring a miracle has the race pace so it takes some of the uncertainty away.
    Yeah I see what you mean, Russell and Sainz (provided no penalties are given) are the only exceptions really as you'd think that they could both end up going in opposite directions to each other once the race starts.

I think your concerns are valid but time will tell if it has wider negative implications. I would say Alonso and Perez are staring out of position. In isolation, at least, it wasn’t a bad spectacle. The general perception seems to be it was more exciting than expected. I wouldn’t guarantee it’ll always be like that though - you won’t always see someone gaining 6 places on lap 1 or spinning out like we did today. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    Unimpressed, they aren't going to do anything dramatic because risking damage to their race cars.

Make them do it in seven year old Nissan Jukes or Kia Picantos.
  • On reflection I’m not keen on the current format of the sprint race, as said above it takes a bit away from today.

listening to various views I like coultards maybe 10 laps would b better & let them change set ups for today, we know from yesterday what race pace is for everyone & the probable outcome so it’s more about the pit stops than the race but if they could reflect on that sprint yesterday then change set up accordingly it would make today a bit more unknown.

love qualifying on a Friday but the timing means more can’t see it because of work , all in all I’m glad they are looking to shake things up & the softly softly approach they are taking to do it
  • On reflection I’m not keen on the current format of the sprint race, as said above it takes a bit away from today.

listening to various views I like coultards maybe 10 laps would b better & let them change set ups for today, we know from yesterday what race pace is for everyone & the probable outcome so it’s more about the pit stops than the race but if they could reflect on that sprint yesterday then change set up accordingly it would make today a bit more unknown.

love qualifying on a Friday but the timing means more can’t see it because of work , all in all I’m glad they are looking to shake things up & the softly softly approach they are taking to do it
    10 laps would definitely be better than 100km but even then you're not going to see anyone going for risky overtakes because of the chance it'll mess up their Sunday. I definitely think Lewis had more to give yesterday but the risk wasn't worth the reward.

I quite like the idea of a short reverse grid race on Saturday for 25% points or something. Might make the midfield battle over the season better as well.
  • Once the leader gets sorted out at the start of a race they tend to lead until pit strategy takes over. And the sprint has no pitting, so it’s hard to imagine any sprint having more than one race leader. Especially as, as Leeds_Addick says, they don’t want to jeopardise the proper race. 

I love the idea of the sprint. But I found it incredibly dull and disappointing, Alonso aside. 
  • So far 100% of sprint races have had more than one leader 
  • Both had their balls out there great to see
  • Lewis so desperate he has to stick max into the wall
  • Max didn't leave a cars width did he?
  • Croydon said:
    Max didn't leave a cars width did he?
    He was ahead and on the racing line. Lewis went inside and turned into him