Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• wmcf123 said:
    We were overdue a boring race. A big shower in 5 mins would be nice!
    Monaco was the worst race I’ve ever seen 
    It was truly awful. When the commentators have to apologise for the rubbish spectacle from about lap 30 saying it’s a landmark fixture and so on you know it’s really bad.
  • edited June 2021
    I'll never like Mazepin, but he really knows how to respond to the stick!!

Respect him a little bit for that

I made my own ones. More interesting than that race. 
  • George Russell starts P10 tomorrow after Tsunoda got a grid penalty - Deserved to get into Q3 after Quali today but at least he gets to choose his tyres still.

Great opportunity to see a Williams in the points again tomorrow, just hope he doesn't end up flying backwards like in Portugal 
    The big negative about George being nicknamed “Mr Saturday” is that he often goes backwards (not literally, but position-wise!) during the race.
    I read this as evidence that he gets more out of the car in qualifying than you would expect, but you can see why some might think his Sunday performances are disappointing.
    At the end of the day, in my opinion he starts most races in a “false” position when you consider the quality of the Williams, and he’ll usually finish no higher than he started. He generally can’t really keep hold of the place he earns on a Saturday because no amount of talent can make that car over perform to such an extent for the duration of a two hour 
    Nit sure this is right. George Russell battered everyone in F2 including Norris. His one GP in the Mercedes he should have won but for dodgy pit stops. He’s a very fast driver in a very shit car.
    Not sure what you’re disagreeing with Neil? That’s pretty much what I’m saying. 
    Maybe I didn’t word it very well? I was trying to say he’s such a good driver that he’s able to drag a shit car round in a quick lap time in qualy, but no matter how good he is, nobody is good enough to get a car that bad round consistently fast enough to challenge in a race.
  • Doesn’t matter which team it is, when one car is much faster than the others, and one driver in that team is also much faster than his teammate, it’ll make for a dull race. 

Great job by Red Bull and Verstappen, but was pretty easy for them today. Can’t see Metcalf significantly catching up on a week with the same venue next week so will need some external influence (weather/reliability/crashes) to spice things up. 
  • Doesn’t matter which team it is, when one car is much faster than the others, and one driver in that team is also much faster than his teammate, it’ll make for a dull race. 

Great job by Red Bull and Verstappen, but was pretty easy for them today. Can’t see Metcalf significantly catching up on a week with the same venue next week so will need some external influence (weather/reliability/crashes) to spice things up. 
    Like you say, unless the weather throws up a surprise it'll be the same next week. Only change will be Perez 3rd and Bottas 4th.

I’ve said this before and I understand your point, but you’re only right if the only thing you’re interested in is the fight for first place. I know that’s where most of the interest is and, yes, today was not a particularly good race. But it really is worth taking an interest in the rest of the field. I’m very rarely bored by a race because there’s usually something happening somewhere. (Monaco excepted, that truly was a dreadful race 😳)
  • Mercedes have confirmed that Lewis Hamilton has signed a new two year deal

Wont be surprised if this screws Russell's chances; Hamilton likes Bottas and cant see them wanting to risk another Hamilton v Rosbery inter-team rivalry

• Signed it because he doesn't think he'll win this season and wants to break the WDC record? 

Lots of people expected him to walk away after this season, will be interesting to see if Russell goes to another Mercedes backed team higher up the grid, or does a Ricciardo/Sainz Jr and decides to cut ties and sign for another team properly
  • edited July 2021
    sam3110 said:
    Signed it because he doesn't think he'll win this season and wants to break the WDC record? 

Lots of people expected him to walk away after this season, will be interesting to see if Russell goes to another Mercedes backed team higher up the grid, or does a Ricciardo/Sainz Jr and decides to cut ties and sign for another team properly
    If Russell doesnt sign for Mercedes then I think the only place thats available is Williams

Cant see McLaren breaking Ricciardo's contract, whilst Vettel is doing pretty well again at Aston Martin.
  • Sponsored links:

• If they are signing George , I'd be very surprised if it wasn't announced at Silverstone. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Signed it because he doesn't think he'll win this season and wants to break the WDC record? 

If Russell doesnt sign for Mercedes then I think the only place thats available is Williams

Cant see McLaren breaking Ricciardo's contract, whilst Vettel is doing pretty well again at Aston Martin.
    If I was at Red Bull I'll be popping over and saying hi to Russell at every opportunity right now, imagine him and Max together!
  • sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

If I was at Red Bull I'll be popping over and saying hi to Russell at every opportunity right now, imagine him and Max together!
    Toto being Russell's Manager will probably stop that from happening.

Otherwise if he was just part of the Academy and had no other ties it would be amusing to see
  • sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

Personality wise, and ambition - but is George better than Checo?
  • bobmunro said:
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

Personality wise, and ambition - but is George better than Checo?
    Honestly think Christian and Red Bull know they are onto a good thing with Checo and he'll be there for the next 2-3 seasons at least. 
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSS GEORGE!!!! - GET IN
  • Great job George Russell

Crazy from Vettel and inevitable that he gets a grid penalty now 

Was probably that incident that got Russell into Q3
  • George beats both Ferraris. On mediums as well.
  • Sponsored links:

Was probably that incident that got Russell into Q3
    I’d like to think it was his driving that got him into Q3!

I see what you mean though 
  • Unbelievable from Lando, love him 
  • George starting 9th (or even 8th) on the mediums. What a drive. 
  • Mercs well behind red bull again. Max is going to run away with this championship as it stands 
  • I only found out today that redbull are still upgrading their car this season, where Mercedes have shelved any new development on theirs to focus on the 2022 car. The result of this is becoming very clear. 
  • ozaddick said:
    I only found out today that redbull are still upgrading their car this season, where Mercedes have shelved any new development on theirs to focus on the 2022 car. The result of this is becoming very clear. 

Yes, Toto confirmed that last week.

Next season will be very, very interesting. Mercedes have far more resource at their disposal than Red Bull.
  • Merc really hurting for this track, of all places, having back to races. They’re nowhere near it here. 0.3s in a barely 1 minute long lap is a light year behind in F1 terms.

Hamilton needs rain (not that Max is bad in the wet),  or Norris to get a bit hot headed going into turn one and take Verstappen out. Would be unlike Lando though. 
  • The best Hamilton can hope for is that Lando will do similar to last week where he simply let Perez past because he knew there was no point trying to race him