Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• sam3110 said:
    Not despised, I admire how good a driver he is and acknowledge his legendary status at the top of the sport. 

I don't like the fakeness that comes with him, the fake sense of humility, of righteousness. 

To me, he's fake, and I don't like that, and can't see past that, he's unlikeable in my eyes, as is Toto Wolff and the rest of the Mercedes set up, so I'd much rather see McLaren, Ferrari or Toro Rosso do well. FWIW my favourite drivers right now are Ricciardo, Sainz Jr, Leclerc and Perez, make of that what you will. 

I see the same thing with the English teams in the Champions League, where people blindly support unlikeable teams and players simply due to them being British
    In terms of the attention he gets from the press (and I assume you are living in the Uk) there will always be a level of bias. He is after all an all time great sportsmen globally and probably one of the most high profile on the planet right now. We will all wank ourselves into a stupor over the next two weeks over an England team that will probably bottle it yet again….. not saying LH should be treated differently in the UK but it’s not as if it’s the first time it’s ever happened.
  • Just caught up on catchup. Great race for the championship, not so much for Hamilton fans. But Hamilton not getting a 25 points jump in Verstappen, when Max did nothing wrong, is great for keeping the championship interesting. Delighted for Perez, I like him and he drove great. Baku is fast becoming one of the best tracks on the calendar, it’s everything Monaco wishes it was. 
  • I think today was the day Perez clicked with the Red Bull at last. Did exactly what Red Bull have been needing from the second car since Danny Ric left and picked up the valuable points.

Be interesting to see how things go at Paul Ricard , a circuit I'm personally not that fond of. No doubt Mercedes will come back strong. 
  • Just caught up on catchup. Great race for the championship, not so much for Hamilton fans. But Hamilton not getting a 25 points jump in Verstappen, when Max did nothing wrong, is great for keeping the championship interesting. Delighted for Perez, I like him and he drove great. Baku is fast becoming one of the best tracks on the calendar, it’s everything Monaco wishes it was. 
    Precisely. I really like Lewis as a person and if Max (or anyone else) was running away with the title I'd be supporting Lewis. All I want is an exciting championship.

I think most of the "hate" from F1 fans I see is because Lewis' and Mercedes domination has meant we've been denied a proper championship fight for years. After his retirement I'll look back at what a good driver he has been, but for now I just want an entertaining battle.
    Precisely. I really like Lewis as a person and if Max (or anyone else) was running away with the title I'd be supporting Lewis. All I want is an exciting championship.

I think most of the "hate" from F1 fans I see is because Lewis' and Mercedes domination has meant we've been denied a proper championship fight for years. After his retirement I'll look back at what a good driver he has been, but for now I just want an entertaining battle.
    I know what you both are saying, but even without my Hamilton Cheerleader hat on, I think it would’ve helped the championship if he’d won - purely because the Red Bull is the better car at the moment and Verstappen is a top quality driver. Frankly, I think it’s a miracle Hamilton is still in touch with MV and, bearing in mind LH has just had two races in a row that don’t cover him in glory, I’d argue that the championship needed LH to win to keep him in it.
    That all may change of course, but I wouldn’t rule out Verstappen cruising to the title if Mercedes don’t come up with some big changes.
  • MrOneLung said:
    I think golfie was highlighting the problem not highlighting because it was Hamilton 
    Exactly. I've been pondering this situation for the past year or so. Nothing to do with what happened to Hamilton at Baku.....it could have been anyone on pole & I would have still made the same observation.

I had been thinking could they go out in reverse order, so that the 2 at the front of the grid end up taking their places last. But this would probably mean having to go down the middle of the track, psst all the cars already taken their places at the back of the grid & slowly peel off like they do now.....just in reverse order iyswim. 

I admit I know very little about modern F1 & no idea about any testing they do around this situation. Just think its "unfair" to be on pole & sitting there waiting for all the laggards to take their places whilst your tyres are losing all the heat you've just put in them & your brakes are overheating at the same time.

But if you think it's all ok & that's "just the way it is" then I'll shut up.
  • sam3110 said:
    I have been thinking lately that the way F1 start a race is all wrong. .......but I have no clue how any other way would work.

What I mean is that with the formation lap the leaders are all sat on the grid, brakes & tyres overheating, whilst they wait for the back markers to catch up / get into line. Seems really unfair that if you are on Pole that you have to sit still for 20 secs whilst drivers no 16, 17 & 18 trundle around to get slowly to their mark.

The restart just now proves that - Hamilton was inconvenienced by the lesser lights at the rear. 
    No he wasn't. These modern cars can sit on a grid on tickover for a minute at least, they test this lots in pre season and in practices on Friday. There doesn't need to be a change in the rules at all.

Funny how the rules only need changing when it's Lewis that loses out?
    Your last sentence is absolute Bollox.
  • I still feel Mercedes will edge ahead over the summer. 

I think it's great to see two teams so close. I predict Mercedes advantage at race tracks this summer is negated somewhat by Perez outperforming Bottas so Hamilton has to beat 2 red bulls. 
  • Right now it looks like a season where some tracks will suit Merc and some Red Bull. Perhaps Red Bull are currently closer to Merc at their weak circuits that Merc are to Red Bull at their weak circuits, but Hamilton out qualified Verstappen here, and might have been able to win if he hadn’t lost time on his pit stop and stayed ahead, and at Monaco Bottas was challenging for pole too. The race before that Merc were faster than Red Bull in Barcelona. 

It’s nip and tuck and will come down to best in season development and fewest mistakes. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    I think golfie was highlighting the problem not highlighting because it was Hamilton 
    Exactly. I've been pondering this situation for the past year or so. Nothing to do with what happened to Hamilton at Baku.....it could have been anyone on pole & I would have still made the same observation.

I had been thinking could they go out in reverse order, so that the 2 at the front of the grid end up taking their places last. But this would probably mean having to go down the middle of the track, psst all the cars already taken their places at the back of the grid & slowly peel off like they do now.....just in reverse order iyswim. 

I admit I know very little about modern F1 & no idea about any testing they do around this situation. Just think its "unfair" to be on pole & sitting there waiting for all the laggards to take their places whilst your tyres are losing all the heat you've just put in them & your brakes are overheating at the same time.

But if you think it's all ok & that's "just the way it is" then I'll shut up.
    How about if they did the parade lap in reverse gear - going the wrong way round the track? 

The pole sitters would then join the grid last. 

I think this is the perfect solution. 👍🏼
  • Sponsored links:

I think it's great to see two teams so close. I predict Mercedes advantage at race tracks this summer is negated somewhat by Perez outperforming Bottas so Hamilton has to beat 2 red bulls. 
    It is going to be interesting whether this flexible wing issue is a real factor or won't make any difference. If it presents a real advantage to teams that use it, it could give Mercedes a jump.

It is going to be interesting whether this flexible wing issue is a real factor or won't make any difference. If it presents a real advantage to teams that use it, it could give Mercedes a jump.
    The fact it is being banned would be evidence enough that it gives an advantage. I expect Mercedes (well Hamilton, Bottas has lost the plot) to now be the quicker car.
  • But it still depends on the level of advantage. It could potentially be a major issue for teams using it which is why FIA allowed them time to adapt. We shall see.
  • bobmunro said:
    I still feel Mercedes will edge ahead over the summer. 

The fact it is being banned would be evidence enough that it gives an advantage. I expect Mercedes (well Hamilton, Bottas has lost the plot) to now be the quicker car.
    Sky were analysing this after FP1 or FP2 on Friday and the flex difference between the RBs and Mercs was minimal, you couldn't tell them apart. RB may have sorted it already which may explain why Lewis was pretty much always quickest in sector three.

The next few races should favour Mercedes regardless as the tracks favour their setups. Barring any disasters I suspect Lewis & Merc will be leading again by the time we get to Silverstone. 
  • It will be interesting to see though. The Championship is definitely interesting this year as for me it is just as much about the technology and details around that as the personalities.
  • Right now it looks like a season where some tracks will suit Merc and some Red Bull. Perhaps Red Bull are currently closer to Merc at their weak circuits that Merc are to Red Bull at their weak circuits, but Hamilton out qualified Verstappen here, and might have been able to win if he hadn’t lost time on his pit stop and stayed ahead, and at Monaco Bottas was challenging for pole too. The race before that Merc were faster than Red Bull in Barcelona. 

It’s nip and tuck and will come down to best in season development and fewest mistakes. 
    Season development in a season when next year’s rules are going to be completely changed!
    The teams usually stop developing the current season’s car after about 2/3s of the season to concentrate on next season’s car, but it may be different this season. Next year the slate is wiped clean and everyone starts at zero.
    Haas have already given up on the development of their 2021 car in preference for next season.
  • edited June 2021
    Right now it looks like a season where some tracks will suit Merc and some Red Bull. Perhaps Red Bull are currently closer to Merc at their weak circuits that Merc are to Red Bull at their weak circuits, but Hamilton out qualified Verstappen here, and might have been able to win if he hadn’t lost time on his pit stop and stayed ahead, and at Monaco Bottas was challenging for pole too. The race before that Merc were faster than Red Bull in Barcelona. 

Season development in a season when next year’s rules are going to be completely changed!
    The teams usually stop developing the current season’s car after about 2/3s of the season to concentrate on next season’s car, but it may be different this season. Next year the slate is wiped clean and everyone starts at zero.
    Haas have already given up on the development of their 2021 car in preference for next season.
    Not just Haas, from what I've heard Alpine and Ferrari are also basically writing off this season and concentrating on next season, especially as works teams they will have to focus on both engine and chassis development
  • edited June 2021
    Ocon has signed a new deal @ Alpine until 2024... Bet there is a young British driver currently smiling at this news

Doubt Ocon was ever in the mix for Mercedes but completely rules it out now

I am surprised in a small way. Ocon if I remember rightly is also managed by Toto, he's done well this year, wouldn't have ruled him out of the Mercedes seat with Russell being bumped up into a midfield car (e.g. replacing Ocon in the Alpine)
  • Think this pretty much assures it's going to be George next season at Mercedes. Just a matter of when they actually announce it. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Think this pretty much assures it's going to be George next season at Mercedes. Just a matter of when they actually announce it. 
    The rumours have been going into over drive of late as well what with Russell saying he'd like his future sorted by the summer break - British Grand Prix on the 18th July - Be the perfect timing wouldnt it
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    Think this pretty much assures it's going to be George next season at Mercedes. Just a matter of when they actually announce it. 
    The rumours have been going into over drive of late as well what with Russell saying he'd like his future sorted by the summer break - British Grand Prix on the 18th July - Be the perfect timing wouldnt it
    Would be perfect PR for Mercedes to announce a Lewis and George lineup at Silverstone. Does leave Bottas in an odd position for the rest of the season announcing it that early but it could be too good an opportunity to pass up 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I saw those rumours too, would be great if true. I've got everything crossed that I'll still be able to attend this year after the announcement on Monday. Talks are in place for an exemption or for it to be used as part of the pilot scheme for large events. The fact that we've got the expensive tickets might help as if they do have to reduce numbers, they'd probably start with the cheaper areas so there's less to refund.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Would be perfect PR for Mercedes to announce a Lewis and George lineup at Silverstone. Does leave Bottas in an odd position for the rest of the season announcing it that early but it could be too good an opportunity to pass up 
    Does it not leave Bottas in a better position than Perez last year though?

Has plenty of time to try and find a new seat, would surely be ideal for either Alfa Romeo (replaces Kimi) or goes back to Williams, as Nissany (I cant see Ticktum getting in ahead of his money) and Latifi would surely be a worse line up than the current Haas team
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Has plenty of time to try and find a new seat, would surely be ideal for either Alfa Romeo (replaces Kimi) or goes back to Williams, as Nissany (I cant see Ticktum getting in ahead of his money) and Latifi would surely be a worse line up than the current Haas team
    Oh definitely it's better than Checos situation , just wondering if it might affect Mercedes WCC push possibly 

Alfa would be an excellent move if they're wanting an experienced head alongside Giovinazzi (don't think they'll promote Pourchaire at 17 unless he does win F2)
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Oh definitely it's better than Checos situation , just wondering if it might affect Mercedes WCC push possibly 

Alfa would be an excellent move if they're wanting an experienced head alongside Giovinazzi (don't think they'll promote Pourchaire at 17 unless he does win F2)
    I do hope they keep Jesus!! - Unfortunately Ferrari have a few coming through their Academy that they could replace him with
  • Russell both lucky and unlucky in Q1 there. Lucky because he went into Q2 by 0.002 seconds, but a little unlucky because he was only about 10 seconds away from completing an outstanding lap that would probably have put him in the top ten when the session got red flagged.
  • Great race going on here. 

If it was anyone other than Bottas you might let him through to have a go at Max but I’m not sure I can remember Bottas ever overtaking someone in first place. 
  • I would not be that surprised if Max, Lewis and Bottas all did a 2 stop and Perez went on to win.

Really interesting race, gap between Lewis and max has been under 2 seconds for ages
  • Nice one Bottas, twat.