Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Gutting. Both him and Perez drove a perfect race for Red Bull. What a crap way to decide a race. 

No doubt they restart and Hamilton comes home to win
    That’d be nice. 😉
    I’ve learned by now that whatever happens in F1 it always somehow benefits Lewis 
    Oh, I don’t know about that. He’s been on the wrong end of some incidents in the past too, whether they be bad luck or decisions by the authorities. 
    I know you’re not his biggest fan and I appreciate that, but there’s no conspiracy in the fates supporting him.

Anyway, regardless of what happens now, like I said before, Verstappen and Stroll are both fine, so that’s the main thing. 👍🏼
    Yeah I’m sortve kidding. Have never denied his talent is probably above anyone and to an extent you make you’re own luck, he’s always there to capitalise, but it does seem that things like this always seem to go his way!

Anyway, as long as Vettel is on the podium I’ll try to ignore Mercedes celebrations and enjoy it
  • Got to question what Bottas has been doing out there today
    Not a lot
    Feels like Bottas has mentally checked out. He’s had some rotten luck this year when he’s driven well, but he’s also just not driven well often enough.
    Not a lot
    Or possibly wondering who he’ll be racing for next season
  • Gutting. Both him and Perez drove a perfect race for Red Bull. What a crap way to decide a race. 

No doubt they restart and Hamilton comes home to win
    That’d be nice. 😉
    I’ve learned by now that whatever happens in F1 it always somehow benefits Lewis 
    Oh, I don’t know about that. He’s been on the wrong end of some incidents in the past too, whether they be bad luck or decisions by the authorities. 
    I know you’re not his biggest fan and I appreciate that, but there’s no conspiracy in the fates supporting him.

Anyway, regardless of what happens now, like I said before, Verstappen and Stroll are both fine, so that’s the main thing. 👍🏼
    Yeah I’m sortve kidding. Have never denied his talent is probably above anyone and to an extent you make you’re own luck, he’s always there to capitalise, but it does seem that things like this always seem to go his way!

Anyway, as long as Vettel is on the podium I’ll try to ignore Mercedes celebrations and enjoy it
    Yeah, I know. It’s all good. 👍🏼😀

Talking of Vettel, he’s like a new man. If ever there was a driver going stale at a team it was him at Ferrari. Looks like a proper driver again.
  • Will we have two laps of racing for a standing start or will a formation lap result in a one lap race? 
    Feels like Bottas has mentally checked out. He’s had some rotten luck this year when he’s driven well, but he’s also just not driven well often enough.
    I wonder if he knows he's out of there at the end of the season already? Very odd performance from him today. 
  • I did find it interesting how Russell held a good distance behind Bottas despite being on fresher tyres... I know the Williams isnt great but felt like he was being cautious after Imola
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Got to question what Bottas has been doing out there today
    I wonder if he knows he's out of there at the end of the season already? Very odd performance from him today. 
    Exactly what I was getting at. 👍🏼
  • FFS Lewis
  • Sponsored links:

• What an absolutely unbelievable race . Those 3 laps were chaos 
  • Did I hear that right, Lewis switched the brake heating device off because it was a standing start but then his engineer turned it back on and overheated the brakes?
  • I have been thinking lately that the way F1 start a race is all wrong. .......but I have no clue how any other way would work.

What I mean is that with the formation lap the leaders are all sat on the grid, brakes & tyres overheating, whilst they wait for the back markers to catch up / get into line. Seems really unfair that if you are on Pole that you have to sit still for 20 secs whilst drivers no 16, 17 & 18 trundle around to get slowly to their mark.

The restart just now proves that - Hamilton was inconvenienced by the lesser lights at the rear. 
  • Did I hear that right, Lewis switched the brake heating device off because it was a standing start but then his engineer turned it back on and overheated the brakes?
    Sounds like Hamilton knocked it back on accidentally when he upshift

https://streamable.com/gvdtbg
  • I have been thinking lately that the way F1 start a race is all wrong. .......but I have no clue how any other way would work.

What I mean is that with the formation lap the leaders are all sat on the grid, brakes & tyres overheating, whilst they wait for the back markers to catch up / get into line. Seems really unfair that if you are on Pole that you have to sit still for 20 secs whilst drivers no 16, 17 & 18 trundle around to get slowly to their mark.

The restart just now proves that - Hamilton was inconvenienced by the lesser lights at the rear. 
    No he wasn't. These modern cars can sit on a grid on tickover for a minute at least, they test this lots in pre season and in practices on Friday. There doesn't need to be a change in the rules at all.

Funny how the rules only need changing when it's Lewis that loses out?
  • sam3110 said:
    I have been thinking lately that the way F1 start a race is all wrong. .......but I have no clue how any other way would work.

No he wasn't. These modern cars can sit on a grid on tickover for a minute at least, they test this lots in pre season and in practices on Friday. There doesn't need to be a change in the rules at all.

I will always want a Brit to win a race, but I have no strong affiliation to Lewis at all. I just think its strange that the leaders are sat at the front idling their engines, with the the problems associated with over heated tyres & brakes, just waiting for drivers who realistically have no chance of winning the race to get into position. Seems back to front to me.
  • edited June 2021
    Lewis let the glory of an against the odds victory go to his head as second place would have been a terrific result for him. He will be kicking himself as he will know he should have known better. He could see the smoke and conservatism was the way to go. That is what the young Lewis would have done, but it surprised me the Lewis of today did that. I am very happy for Vettel. 
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    I have been thinking lately that the way F1 start a race is all wrong. .......but I have no clue how any other way would work.

I will always want a Brit to win a race, but I have no strong affiliation to Lewis at all. I just think its strange that the leaders are sat at the front idling their engines, with the the problems associated with over heated tyres & brakes, just waiting for drivers who realistically have no chance of winning the race to get into position. Seems back to front to me.
    Unless you make them all switch their engines off and then restart manually when the lights come on like they could when sitting at some traffic lights on the Woolwich Road, this will always be the situation!
    But this isn’t why Hamilton lost out here. It was just a driver error (apparently, accidentally knocking a switch back on). The drivers are very rarely disadvantaged too much due to sitting on the start too long because they all know how to slow down enough on the approach to minimize this time. It’s really not that big an issue. Indeed, some would argue that those further back need more of an advantage in order to combat the problem of the strongest teams dominating too much.

• I'd rather be at the front than at the back!
  • I suppose the other way of looking at it is...

The blokes at the front already have the faster cars, the fact their tyres are colder come the start (compared with those at the back) is what briefly gives those at the back a small advantage. Else surely those at the front will open up gaps even quicker and we'll see even less racing.
  • sam3110 said:

Who’s suggesting that.....ridiculous interpretation of what was said.🤨
  • sam3110 said:

Look at what Golfie says, it's not a ridiculous interpretation.

He says Hamilton was inconvenienced by the backmarkers taking a while to line up, that the current way of lining up seems really unfair, and that the way to start the race is all wrong. He admits he doesn't have a better way of doing it, but clearly wants it to change. I have seen similar comments from people on twitter, racefans, gpplanet, wtf1 and other F1 websites. 

But like I said, we've had smoking brakes and overheating engines before, due to the nature of the way they line up on the grid, but I haven't seen call for change from anyone until it inconvenienced Hamilton's race, then suddenly the conversation is starting up.

I get he's the British hero to a lot of people and therefore people want him to win, but the amount of bias and favouritism he gets is insane, and every mistake he makes, a lot of his fans paint as his team trying to sabotage him, or the rules conspiring against him etc etc but at the same time if Vettel or someone else makes the same mistakes he's ridiculed and people call for his retirement. 

Call me weird, but I find that infuriating
  • edited June 2021
    He is the most successful F1 driver of all time and he is British. I find it infuriating that some people haven't got time for a National Hero like him. Needs a statue put up in Trafalgar square on the day he retires.
  • sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

Look at what Golfie says, it's not a ridiculous interpretation.

He says Hamilton was inconvenienced by the backmarkers taking a while to line up, that the current way of lining up seems really unfair, and that the way to start the race is all wrong. He admits he doesn't have a better way of doing it, but clearly wants it to change. I have seen similar comments from people on twitter, racefans, gpplanet, wtf1 and other F1 websites. 

But like I said, we've had smoking brakes and overheating engines before, due to the nature of the way they line up on the grid, but I haven't seen call for change from anyone until it inconvenienced Hamilton's race, then suddenly the conversation is starting up.

I get he's the British hero to a lot of people and therefore people want him to win, but the amount of bias and favouritism he gets is insane, and every mistake he makes, a lot of his fans paint as his team trying to sabotage him, or the rules conspiring against him etc etc but at the same time if Vettel or someone else makes the same mistakes he's ridiculed and people call for his retirement. 

Call me weird, but I find that infuriating
    I’d say the opposite - the amount of hate Hamilton gets compared to any other driver is completely out of kilter with anyone else.

You’ve despised him ever since this thread started from what I remember Sam.
  • I think golfie was highlighting the problem not highlighting because it was Hamilton 
  • Not despised, I admire how good a driver he is and acknowledge his legendary status at the top of the sport. 

I don't like the fakeness that comes with him, the fake sense of humility, of righteousness. 

To me, he's fake, and I don't like that, and can't see past that, he's unlikeable in my eyes, as is Toto Wolff and the rest of the Mercedes set up, so I'd much rather see McLaren, Ferrari or Toro Rosso do well. FWIW my favourite drivers right now are Ricciardo, Sainz Jr, Leclerc and Perez, make of that what you will. 

I see the same thing with the English teams in the Champions League, where people blindly support unlikeable teams and players simply due to them being British
  • What a terrible weekend for Bottas. He actually went backwards despite a few crashes in front of him. 

The Where's Bottas tweet posted by Mercedes before the weekend started was rather apt.