Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• I'm not sure Bottas' position at Merc is so safe anymore. He keeps Hamilton and Verstappen honest in Qualifying, but when was the last time he pushed either of them close on a race day? They will regularly drop him by 10 to 30 seconds over the length of a race. Right now Red Bull have the same problem because Perez is not getting close either, but Bottas can't even really be used to disrupt Red Bull through strategy, and if he gets a slow start and finds himself stuck down the field he is not especially good at working his way back up by passing cars.

I like Bottas and he's good for solid points every week but I think Merc might be starting to look for a bit more than he offers now. Far from closing the gap to the front two over time, I think he's actually gone, relatively, backwards. He was perfect all the time Merc were clearly the fastest team but, now Red Bull can genuinely challenge Merc, if Lewis ever drops out for reliability, or whatever, Bottas is not going to out pace Verstappen and and secure a win in Lewis's place.

Like I say Checco still finding his feet at Red Bull keeps the pressure off him a bit, but I think this might be the year Merc moves on to someone else at the end of the season with perhaps more potential to run Lewis and Verstappen a bit closer - maybe finish 5 seconds behind instead of 15. Once he leaves Bottas will only get a midfield drive - Red Bull or Ferrari aren't going to be interested because that is really his level, there are at least 5 or 6 drivers faster than him on the grid.

Could not agree more, Bottas is being blown away by Hamilton's race pace even through they may be close on a single lap on fresh tyres.  We have seen at Red Bull over the last couple of years it is not easy to get two drivers at the top of their game.  Most of Max's partners have been well and truly put in their place. 

Look back to Hamilton's partners and only Alonso, Button and Rosberg have got close to him in race pace, and those often failled in qualifying.

• Hamilton was well off the pace today. Only 7th in qualifying. Not convincing in any way. I think he had a mistake or an issue in every lap today. I’m sure he’ll be fine tomorrow, but can’t see him winning.
    I’ve no love for Ferrari, but I’m glad LeClerc got pole ahead of Verstappen (although that may yet change). Having said that, I always think it’s a bit harsh when one driver’s mistake costs everyone else a chance to improve their qualifying position, especially when that driver happens to be sitting on pole!
  • Maybe he’s human after all. Not a fan of the Monaco race but should be interesting tomorrow.
  • edited May 2021
    Hamilton has always had that habit of chucking in an occasional stinker of a weekend but it’s been probably 3 years since his last one. Nowhere near it today though. Will be interesting to hear his explanation. Some more clever strategy needed to tomorrow to get up the order or maybe some luck with a short safety car just as he’s passing the pit lane entry or something, but usually qualifying basically decides Monaco unless there’s an accident or breakdown.  

I like Leclerc so happy to see him on pole and it might help limit the damage done by Hamilton being so off it. 
  • Maybe he’s human after all. Not a fan of the Monaco race but should be interesting tomorrow.
    Yeah, I feel the same about Monaco.
    It’s an iconic venue, no doubt, and a lot of money comes in from there, but the race is nearly always sub-par. It does provide a good race every once in a while though, so hopefully we’ll get one of the occasional Monaco classics tomorrow.
  • We all in agreement that Leclerc didnt just pull a Schumacher from a few years ago? 
  • We all in agreement that Leclerc didnt just pull a Schumacher from a few years ago? 
    Haha!
    Yeah, I don’t think he’d deliberately bugger his car like that just to secure the pole! 
    It does seem a bit unfair though eh?
    You can never rule it out but I don’t really see the motivation to - Ferrari are not expected to win any races this season and certainly aren’t title challengers so why take the risk of getting caught cheating? Leclerc doesn’t strike me as the type either. It is Ferrari though...
    You can never rule it out but I don’t really see the motivation to - Ferrari are not expected to win any races this season and certainly aren’t title challengers so why take the risk of getting caught cheating? Leclerc doesn’t strike me as the type either. It is Ferrari though...
    I think even Ferrari wouldn’t do this today! And if they did, they messed it up because his car is a lot more knackered than they would’ve liked.
    Anyway, the only reason he hit the barrier head on was because the previous barrier scrape knocked the right wheel off kilter.  No way you could plan that.
  • Does Charles only have to start from the pitlane tomorrow if they dont repair his car in time?
  • Sponsored links:

• Shame for Leclerc, his car wasn’t ready in time to make the grid. Good news for Verstappen though 
  • Shame for Leclerc, his car wasn’t ready in time to make the grid. Good news for Verstappen though 
    Sounds like another Ferrari cock-up. They were so keen to keep pole they risked the gearbox. If they had replaced it they’d still be in the first three rows. Now they start from the pits, if they start at all. 
    Going to be lucky if he makes the start
    Going to be lucky if he makes the start
    He won’t, been confirmed by Ferrari
  • So brutal for Charles, has such a jinxed time at Monaco!!
  • edited May 2021
    So brutal for Charles, has such a jinxed time at Monaco!!
    He is, although Rosberg just made a good point that it’s his fault he crashed in the first place.
  • The Ferrari CEO and all their dignitaries are there , I wonder if those Binotto comments are going to massively backfire 
  • Gutted for Leclerc. Ferrari look silly taking the risk but good point above that it's his fault for binning it.

Wonder which team will mess up their pit stop to hand Hamilton a podium.
  • I love F1 but this is so fucking boring 
  • Can’t get Bottas front right off in the pit stop, his race is shot 
  • Sponsored links:

• I love F1 but this is so fucking boring 
    God do we need a safety car
  • Got a feeling we know who is winning the race now 
  • Wtf is the race director doing!!!???
  • We had an actual overtake there and the race director cuts to a replay. This happens time and time again, drives me crazy. 
  • Mercedes having an awful race. Hamilton 7th after the pit stops 
  • We had an actual overtake there and the race director cuts to a replay. This happens time and time again, drives me crazy. 
    Got a feeling he covers Charlton games too
  • Red bull have got everything right today. Fair play to them.
    Note that I didn’t say “so far”. This race is effectively over.
    Hope I’m wrong.
  • Fair play to Vettel actually. I’m not his biggest fan, but he’s looked like a decent driver again since leaving Ferrari.
  • Every year I convince myself to watch this thinking something different might happen and every year I'm wrong. This is fucking awful.