Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    100% Russell in the wrong. He seemed to imply Bottas should have let him overtake because the points meant more to him. Total bollocks, Bottas didn't have to make it easy and left room as per the rules. The conditions determined that passing there should not have been attempted. Russell needs to apologise. It isn't a bad thing to show you have fire in your belly, but when you are wrong you are wrong.
    Similar to how I see it to. 

At the end of the day there was still space for two cars there, that is all Bottas has to leave. Russell put his car on the grass, spun and crashed into Bottas, for me that is enough to apportion blame onto Russell. 

I also thought upon seeing his reaction immediately after the crash that Bottas must've done something outrageous but that is clearly not the case, I can understand him being high on adrenaline after the crash (I mean who wouldn't be?) but in is his interviews afterwards (or atleast in the ones I've seen) he seems so blinkered to acknowledge any blame on himself or have no regrets in the way he reacted following the incident. 

He is clearly a class driver and I think he'll have Bottas seat by next season (I also reject Russell's notion that Bottas raced him differently due to this dynamic) but the way he's acted after the crash and the following interviews he's gone down in my estimation. Hopefully he'll learn from this and become an even better driver. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned the coincidence of Hamilton making an error and dropping down the field, only to have two Mercedes paid drivers cause a Red flag at almost double quick speed to reduce his loss. 

The following reaction is all just an act and part of Toto's Mercedes masterplan, its a fact I tell ya! 
  • Options
    I’ve now watched a few times. I can’t see how it can be anyone’s fault but Russell’s. There’s a little twitch from Bottas, so he may have overreacted to that, but Russell has just made a bad decision in my opinion. I hope he holds his hands up in the cold light of day.
  • Options
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned the coincidence of Hamilton making an error and dropping down the field, only to have two Mercedes paid drivers cause a Red flag at almost double quick speed to reduce his loss. 

The following reaction is all just an act and part of Toto's Mercedes masterplan, its a fact I tell ya! 
    I know a lot of people say you make your own luck, but yes Hamilton is incredibly lucky here, and every time he seems to make a mistake he then lucks out with a well timed safety car or stoppage that puts him back in with a chance.

Of course you need to be a brilliant driver to then capitals on that, but when's the last time Hamilton had to retire? It feels like eons ago
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I know a lot of people say you make your own luck, but yes Hamilton is incredibly lucky here, and every time he seems to make a mistake he then lucks out with a well timed safety car or stoppage that puts him back in with a chance.

Of course you need to be a brilliant driver to then capitals on that, but when's the last time Hamilton had to retire? It feels like eons ago
    Just looked it up. 

Hamilton's last DNF was back at Austria in 2018 which is insane! 
  • Options
    Apparently Russell has now apologised.
  • Options
    Toto has made Russell apologise.
    Fixed it for you ;) - Wouldnt be surprised if he's been advised what to do by Toto here
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Just looked it up. 

Hamilton's last DNF was back at Austria in 2018 which is insane! 
    And before that it was Malaysia 2016
  • Options
    George Russell into Q2... Has happened every race this season, although at the expense of Daniel Ricciardo this time round, whilst Norris goes P2 at present
  • Options
    George Russell into Q2... Has happened every race this season, although at the expense of Daniel Ricciardo this time round, whilst Norris goes P2 at present
    Gets 11th... Misses out on Q3 by 0.057!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I really like Russell. He's got genuine world champion potential.
    The crash last race was a bit of a low point, but he showed aggression and drive and the blinkered arrogance that you need to be at the top.
    He even managed to retain some respect by apologising in the cold light of day - which is want you want - when the adrenaline is flowing, the aggression and competitive spirit is there. When back at HQ, some humility.

My big fear is that he won't mature and learn from the bad days as much as you would hope. I think he will, and once he gets a seat in a 'top table' car, he'll be challenging.
  • Options
    I think Russell is quicker than Norris, and from speaking to people in the sport, I know I’m not the only one.
  • Options
    I think Russell is quicker than Norris, and from speaking to people in the sport, I know I’m not the only one.
    It's impossible to know that at this stage of their careers.
    I'm just glad that the future of British Motorsport is in good hands. 
  • Options
    It's impossible to know that at this stage of their careers.
    I'm just glad that the future of British Motorsport is in good hands. 
    I am going from the 10 years previous going through the ranks.
  • Options
    Russell absolutely dominated Lando in F2, think Lando won one race at Bahrain in the first round and that was it. 

I'd love to see George in the Mercedes next season personally.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Russell absolutely dominated Lando in F2, think Lando won one race at Bahrain in the first round and that was it. 

I think he will be.
    A season (or two) as Hamilton’s No 2. Learn from the master, take the reins, fight with Verstappen for the title for the next 5-10 years.
    Maybe. 😎
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

I think he will be.
    A season (or two) as Hamilton’s No 2. Learn from the master, take the reins, fight with Verstappen for the title for the next 5-10 years.
    Maybe. 😎
    Would love to know what issue Russell has today as has had no pace... Either that or the Williams is just struggling in the wind.

Mazepin though, the less said the better, would love to know how he's a minute behind Mick let alone the blue flag incident 
  • Options
    Sometimes, punishments don’t fit the crime. 
    Mazepin is in dead last, a full minute behind the driver ahead of him, and gets a 5 second penalty. What is the fecking point of that? Ludicrous.

Unrelated point, but he’s just not good enough. I don’t care how much money he brings in, his presence makes the sport poorer. Get rid of him.
    Trouble is what sort of punishment would be fitting for Mazepin that would be consistent for the other drivers as well.

Both a time or grid penalty would be pointless for this bloke

Maybe it should be points off the Super License, blue flags are such a basic rule, you shouldnt need reminding
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:

I think he will be.
    Maybe. 😎
    Would love to know what issue Russell has today as has had no pace... Either that or the Williams is just struggling in the wind.

Mazepin though, the less said the better, would love to know how he's a minute behind Mick let alone the blue flag incident 
    Russell reported he was struggling as soon as he gets close to another car. Would suggest the car is struggling with turbulence from the car ahead. Could be a wind issue like you say though - either way, must be some sort of aerodynamics issue. 
    Hopefully they’ll identify it and sort it for the next race.
  • Options

And there goes the national anthem.....playing as I post!
  • Options
    Has there been any mention of Driver of the Day?

Saw a good few posts on reddit with a lot of people voting for Mazepin to make things awkward

Usually SKY will show a poll of the top three towards the end of the race saying how the voting has been going but they've been very quiet so makes me wonder if the fans have been successful
  • Options
    Honestly regardless of the finances his dad brings to Haas, how long will Steiner put up with Mazepin? I can't see him lasting the season. 
  • Options
    Mazepin is in dead last, a full minute behind the driver ahead of him, and gets a 5 second penalty. What is the fecking point of that? Ludicrous.

Unrelated point, but he’s just not good enough. I don’t care how much money he brings in, his presence makes the sport poorer. Get rid of him.
    Trouble is what sort of punishment would be fitting for Mazepin that would be consistent for the other drivers as well.

Maybe it should be points off the Super License, blue flags are such a basic rule, you shouldnt need reminding
    Yeah. Super licence points would make sense. You’re right that you can’t change the penalties for different drivers. The hope would have to be that they will penalise him after the race.
    The thing is, he affected the driver who was leading the race. I know Perez was only leading by default, but that move may have seriously affected a leading team’s strategy and, more importantly, had Perez not taken quick evasive action, could have seriously injured someone.
    Mazepin is a fucking idiot. Shouldn’t be anywhere near f1.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Honestly regardless of the finances his dad brings to Haas, how long will Steiner put up with Mazepin? I can't see him lasting the season. 
    When his old man is Russian mafia you dont want to be the one to sack him or your next destination will be the bottom of the Baltic.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Has there been any mention of Driver of the Day?

Saw a good few posts on reddit with a lot of people voting for Mazepin to make things awkward

Usually SKY will show a poll of the top three towards the end of the race saying how the voting has been going but they've been very quiet so makes me wonder if the fans have been successful
    Out of the blue the F1 website has announced Perez as Driver of the Day, yet havent added the percentage votes
  • Options

Yeah. Super licence points would make sense. You’re right that you can’t change the penalties for different drivers. The hope would have to be that they will penalise him after the race.
    The thing is, he affected the driver who was leading the race. I know Perez was only leading by default, but that move may have seriously affected a leading team’s strategy and, more importantly, had Perez not taken quick evasive action, could have seriously injured someone.
    Mazepin is a fucking idiot. Shouldn’t be anywhere near f1.
    Has also been given a single penalty point...

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/decision-document/2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Offence - Car 9 - Ignoring blue flags.pdf
  • Options
    I mentioned on here a couple of weeks back that he is clearly a danger, not only to himself but others.
    Do F1 have to wait for a serious accident or incident in order to be shaken out of their apparent apathy, it’s waiting to happen.
    Quite how he is deemed fit and safe to drive an F1 car in a Grand Prix is beyond logical, he clearly isn’t!