Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Have to say, after the second round of pit stops, I didn’t see a way Hamilton could win. Was largely to down to his quality as a driver. One little wobble with that lockup near the end but stayed cooler and tidier than Verstappen in the heat of battle. 

I think, in equal machinery, Verstappen might actually have the slight edge on raw pace these days, but Lewis showed today how important his calm mentality, experience, and consistency has become. Albeit still underpinned by incredible speed as well.

Hope this keeps up, and Merc can close the gap a little bit in car performance - it’ll be a great season if it does. 
  • Options
    What an absolutely spectacular race , thought Max had that one but that's one absolutely sensational drive from Lewis.

Great to see a very strong McLaren display and points for Tsunoda on debut who looks a real talent. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Hamilton had to stay within a close enough distance for the undercut in the first stint. That was terrific driving. A great race.
  • Options
    One other thing about this race:

Mazepin.

I hope I’m wrong, but I have a suspicion he may turn out to be one of the worst F1 drivers there has ever been. 
    Reading his comments after the race where he describes why he crashed, he sounds like someone who’s never driven before. As it happens, he has had some success at F2, but nobody could claim his performances were anything special. I’d describe his F2 career as “Meh” at best. Certainly not good enough to win an F1 seat. The very idea is laughable.
    Considering motor racing is a sport that, inarguably, should be a meritocracy, it’s an incredible example of undeserved nepotism. Only trumped (pun intended) in politics by the role in Trump’s government given to Ivanka.
  • Options

Mazepin.

I hope I’m wrong, but I have a suspicion he may turn out to be one of the worst F1 drivers there has ever been. 
    Reading his comments after the race where he describes why he crashed, he sounds like someone who’s never driven before. As it happens, he has had some success at F2, but nobody could claim his performances were anything special. I’d describe his F2 career as “Meh” at best. Certainly not good enough to win an F1 seat. The very idea is laughable.
    Considering motor racing is a sport that, inarguably, should be a meritocracy, it’s an incredible example of undeserved nepotism. Only trumped (pun intended) in politics by the role in Trump’s government given to Ivanka.
    There is some stiff competition to take the crown ‘worst ever’ !!!
  • Options
    Made me smile when Mazespin said that he was worried about going into the back of Schumacher which partly resulted in him spinning.

Mate, Schumacher was long gone by the time you spun!!
  • Options

Mazepin.

There is some stiff competition to take the crown ‘worst ever’ !!!
    Yeah, I know. I was going to put “worst ever” but realised that recent events always seem more extreme. 
    That’s why I changed it to “one of the worst ever”. 😎
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes Mazepin spun like a twit, but Schumacher spun all on his own literally at the very next corner. 

Something tells me the Haas is an absolute shitshow to drive. 
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-7y1_cju4c

Yep I was right - sit back and enjoy this - hilarious 
    Awesome clip forgot just how bad he was but what about the sound of them engines!! With Murray over the top of them I could listen to that all day
  • Options
    Unfortunately I think Mazepins cash that's basically propping Haas up will keep him on the grid for a good while. 
  • Options
    He needs to keep on the track though and not just the grid.
  • Options

Mazepin.

Let’s not forget the indisputable fact that he is putting lives in danger!
  • Options
    If he keeps crashing the Fia might take away his superlicense
  • Options
    Very tough for Mazepin and Schumacher. Tough enough for anyone in their rookie season, but they don't have an experienced teammate they can learn a bit from, they had the shortest pre-season test ever in which to get used to the car, and the car is clearly an absolute boat, and a virtually rudderless one at that. I think we're going to see both of them facing in the wrong direction quite frequently this season.

Not much in Mazepin's record says he has the talent to deserve a drive in Formula One, but the sport has a long history of money trumping talent in terms of getting a drive, at least at back of the grid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A rookie and keeping KMag would probably have been the optimum move for Haas but they were absolutely desperate for major sponsorship so had to go the Mazepin route. 

Steiner admitting they're already focused entirely on 22' really doesn't bode well. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    MarcusH26 said:
    A rookie and keeping KMag would probably have been the optimum move for Haas but they were absolutely desperate for major sponsorship so had to go the Mazepin route. 

Steiner admitting they're already focused entirely on 22' really doesn't bode well. 

I understand the position they're in, but it seems like slightly flawed thinking to me - if you were a sponsor pumping $$$$$$ into the team, would you be satisfied with the team coming a distant last every week and your brand only being seen on people's TV screens in replays of the car going backwards into a wall? Not the best of marketing images is it?

If the money comes with the inferior driver that's one thing, but just abandoning any development of the car and settling for a car that will be much slower than the rest is a different thing altogether. Bit of a catch 22 for everyone I guess.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

I understand the position they're in, but it seems like slightly flawed thinking to me - if you were a sponsor pumping $$$$$$ into the team, would you be satisfied with the team coming a distant last every week and your brand only being seen on people's TV screens in replays of the car going backwards into a wall? Not the best of marketing images is it?

If the money comes with the inferior driver that's one thing, but just abandoning any development of the car and settling for a car that will be much slower than the rest is a different thing altogether. Bit of a catch 22 for everyone I guess.
    I'm convinced it'll be called Mazepin GP or similar by this time next season, and Uralkali will see any exposure as good exposure, regardless of where the car ends up this season.

Schumacher, if he does well enough, will be bumped up to Alfa Romeo and either a new Ferrari Academy Driver will come in, or they'll use the Russian money to buy in a decent driver on a big contract for 2022. 

I guess Haas know they have a shite car right now and with the super tight restrictions on development this season, they know they can't make up the difference, so focussing 100% of their limited time, resources and budget on 2022 might not be a bad idea, especially if the midfield teams focus on this season to try to be best of the rest behind Merc and RBR
  • Options
    Bollocks, I spoke too soon on the Ipswich thread

Practice and Qualifying have both been moved on Saturday as a mark of respect to Prince Philip's funeral

Means I'll have to watch both Charlton and Qually at the same time

FFS Charlton, why couldnt you change the kick-off time to 5:30pm, or have it on Friday!!!!! 😂

• Options

Practice and Qualifying have both been moved on Saturday as a mark of respect to Prince Philip's funeral

FFS Charlton, why couldnt you change the kick-off time to 5:30pm, or have it on Friday!!!!! 😂

Just record it FA, in fact, if you have a Q box, you can record both at the same time and take the dog for a walk ........simples!
  • Options

Just record it FA, in fact, if you have a Q box, you can record both at the same time and take the dog for a walk ........simples!
    Hate recording live sport, never sure how people manage to do that AND avoid checking the live score etc.

Luckily it doesnt bother me too much, I got myself a 27inch PC monitor so when I'm working I can effectively have two applications open side by side if I need to - I also watch most Sport on my computer so can have the Charlton game onside, the F1 the other
  • Options
    I'll ignore F1 news and watch the highlights wthout knowing the outcome. Only qualifying at the end of the day.
  • Options
    I'll ignore F1 news and watch the highlights wthout knowing the outcome. Only qualifying at the end of the day.
    Spoiler alert, Hamilton on Pole, Verstappen close behind but in front of Bottas, Vettel and a Ferrari fail to make it out of Q2, Haas and Williams make up the back 4 of the grid. 

No need to watch it now!