Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    I suppose you can argue it is the Russian colours but not the Russian flag. 
  • Options
    So Haas have launched, apparently due to the Anti-Doping issues there can be no Russian flag in any sport at the moment... Seems that the FIA are fine that this doesnt break those rules.

As a livery I dont mind it, with those regulations in mind, FIA are taking the piss approving it

Sponsorship deal with Aquafresh? The Flying Toothbrush.

• Options
    Gotta be one of the nicest from Williams!!

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Looks like a solid backmarker. No sponsors of note, a messy, cluttered livery to hide the lack of money, and a desperate attempt to harken back to the "good old days" with the blue, yellow and white combo from the Rothmans and Camel cars of yesteryear
  • Options
    Very very surprised they've not attracted more sponsors than the ones that were there last season. Think the only new one is the FT on the inside of the rear wing endplate. 
  • Options
    Always like hearing sponsor/brand talk in sport as that's a core part of my business' game. I brokered the Acronis Williams deal...... F1 is hard work at the moment. Our 2 most recent deals have been in FE, and via our Lewis link doing a lot with Extreme E.
  • Options
    Come on Damo , liven up 
    First Grand Prix , in Bahrain, of the new season today 
    I come on here to pick up some pointers so I can talk to my son who’s in to it (The other 3 in to football cricket like me ) and I’m clueless 
    Think it starts 4pm today 
  • Options
    It’s just testing mate - equivalent of a pre season training ground friendly v Cheltenham Town.

But in this case nobody knows fuel loads, engine modes etc. And so more like said friendly being with anonymous unnamed players 
  • Options
    Race is in a few weeks 
  • Options
    Thank you Damo
    i didn’t have a clue but I know he’s trying to get out of the afternoon walk , I thought it was the real deal that was starting .

Are they changing the points systems, my son said something about points being awarded for positions in the starting line up or was that just talk and not being implemented 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thank you Damo
    i didn’t have a clue but I know he’s trying to get out of the afternoon walk , I thought it was the real deal that was starting .

Are they changing the points systems, my son said something about points being awarded for positions in the starting line up or was that just talk and not being implemented 
    There is talk of trialing Saturday Sprint races at 3 rounds but nothing formally confirmed . 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Thank you Damo

There is talk of trialing Saturday Sprint races at 3 rounds but nothing formally confirmed . 
    Sounds like it will be happening 

Silverstone, Monza and Brazil are the three
  • Options
    Oh really? Was planning on going to Silverstone abs Monza this year but if those are both sprint races think I’ll try for silverstone and Netherlands.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Sounds like the format will be:

Friday - Testing and Qualifying for the Sprint race
    Saturday - Sprint Race with a very small number of points given to the top three
    Sunday - Normal race
  • Options
    More rights on that course than can usually be found in Saudi…
  • Options
    Doesn't look good for racing and overtaking, especially with the current cars and regulations
  • Options
    I don't see many opportunities for passing , qualifying 3 will be spectacular but I don't hold out much hope for a good race 
  • Options
    I am amazed after last year's farce that Portimao has got another chance at staging a GP. I am guessing that F1 are hoping the organisers and the police will learn from their mistakes. Knowing Portugal it will go one of two ways. They will really get their act together, and it will be damn-near perfect, or they will do exactly the same as last time and somehow expect a different result. There wont be a middle ground.

It has been proposed that the price of the tickets include a covid test to be taken in the days before the race at approved testing centres. If approved, they are going to trail it at the Moto GP in April, which will be restricted to 10'000 spectators (10% of capacity). They hope to allow 25'000 into the GP if all goes well.   
  • Options
    Series 3 of Drive To Surivve is out this morning on Netflix , thought the second series was a bit choppy but the trailer looks superb for this series. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am amazed after last year's farce that Portimao has got another chance at staging a GP. I am guessing that F1 are hoping the organisers and the police will learn from their mistakes. Knowing Portugal it will go one of two ways. They will really get their act together, and it will be damn-near perfect, or they will do exactly the same as last time and somehow expect a different result. There wont be a middle ground.

It has been proposed that the price of the tickets include a covid test to be taken in the days before the race at approved testing centres. If approved, they are going to trail it at the Moto GP in April, which will be restricted to 10'000 spectators (10% of capacity). They hope to allow 25'000 into the GP if all goes well.   
    Why, what happened that was such a farce?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    sam3110 said:

Why, what happened that was such a farce?
    Well, we went on-line to order our tickets. They didn't have paypal as an option and you couldn't just pay with a debit card on-line, you were given a reference which you needed to take to the ATM with your card and enter into the machine in order to pay. Only they gave everyone the wrong reference, so you were not able to pay. By the time we got through and got the correct number, the time limit to pay had expired and the tickets were no longer reserved, but they were sold out of the first batch. They said that more would be released until the following Friday - so as they had cocked up (which they freely admitted) - I asked if they were going to e-mail those of us that had lost out due to their mistake so we would get priority. No, we were told to keep an eye on their facebook page from Thursday and it would be announced on there. The following day my mate (who had missed out on the first batch) messaged me to say he had just purchased his tickets. So we went on-line and sure enough they had released the second batch three days earlier than they had said and not told anyone... Obvilously we got our tickets in the end.

Regarding the organisiation on the day - here is what I wrote on here straight after the race:

"The experience was great. The rush when the cars came over the hill and passed in front of us on the first lap was awesome - our seats were on the final bend. But poor Portuguese organisation marred the day a bit. We did the sensible thing and caught the park n ride shuttle, which left every half hour from around the corner to where we stayed. Got on at 11AM, and thanks to traffic congestion (no priority give to the buses until about 300m from the circuit) a 20km journey took two hours. Signposting was shit and we had no idea what was going on as the promised commentary over the tannoy never happened... welcome to Portugal." 

I can add that the park n ride was not advertised when the tickets were sold, and the arrangements for how it would work were only finalised one week before the race - even then they were not put on the website, I just found out by e-mailing them (as I was advised to do) every few days. There was no closed circuit race commentary (as I was assured by my F1 mates is the norm) hence the promise of the (non-existent) tannoy commentary. Expanding on my comments on signposting - there were three spectator entrance zones - red, blue and green. Rather than the signs for the green zone being green, the blue being blue and the red being red - all signs were in red. What twit came up with that? 

The reason for the traffic jam getting in was that the three lane road built from the motorway to the circuit had one lane coming in the opposite direction (of course) and one lane coned off, (presumably for emergency vehicles?), so literally every vehicle had one lane to approach the circuit - there was another two lane road from another direction, which was equally jammed. The whole point of the third lane being there to ease congestion being totally negated by the authorities...    

Finally minor moans - but when you are already pissed off we all notice these things more... The "Heineken Grand Prix" had no alcohol available, I had to persuade the bloke flogging what drinks there were, to put lids on the cups of coke - he wasn't supposed to for some reason - so I could take them back to our seats and the merchandising stall was up a hill miles from our seats (in any sensible country you have the stuff you are trying to flog just inside the gate, surely?) which I would imagine the merchandising department would not be too enamoured with. 

Most of this is stuff that was obvious to me before the race. 
  • Options
    This is an absolutely fantastic and emotional read , what a beautiful tribute to Anthoine . 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    This is an absolutely fantastic and emotional read , what a beautiful tribute to Anthoine . 
    And given what he says about his time at Red Bull, also as good a sign as any that it’s over for him in the Red Bull ecosystem and we’ll see him at Alpine for 2022...
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    And given what he says about his time at Red Bull, also as good a sign as any that it’s over for him in the Red Bull ecosystem and we’ll see him at Alpine for 2022...
    Absolutely think he's nailed on for Alpine , big upgrade on Ocon. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Be curious if Ocon and Gasly team up, although Alonso is contracted beyond this season with Alpine

The two French Drivers were apparently friends coming through the ranks but then fell out
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Be curious if Ocon and Gasly team up, although Alonso is contracted beyond this season with Alpine

The two French Drivers were apparently friends coming through the ranks but then fell out
    Gasly only signed a 1 year extension at Toro Rosso, and Ocon’s two year deal at Renault/Alpine expires at the end of this season. Unless Alonso absolutely tanks this year (unlikely), it’ll be Gasly and Alonso at Alpine next year.

Good article on Ocon here - seemingly an unfortunate victim of circumstance given Stroll buying Racing Point and then Covid conspiring to go against him: https://the-race.com/formula-1/how-russell-usurped-ocon-as-mercedes-hamilton-successor/
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I know it's only free practice, and qualifying rarely matches up completely to what goes on in practice, but some encouraging times from the first day of the season, nonetheless. Top 7 or 8 cars all separated by ~0.5 seconds in the second session, and 6 different teams in the top 8.

Quite excited for the new season. Hoping to see Lewis emerge with his 8th title to separate himself from Schumacher in the all time list, but also hoping he really has to fight for it with Red Bull, and maybe some others, in a tightly contested season (one that could well be his final year, if he does prevail) so as to prove it's not just the car that has got him where he is.
  • Options
    Apparently, the Mercedes were running with full tanks.