Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    I believe Hamilton's deal with Mercedes runs out next year. Seeing as he has won everything going & beating all the records I think it's time he really tested himself. Sign for one of the lesser teams & see if he can win with a Suber or a Renault. He doesn't need the money so let him pit his wits in an inferior car - that will see how good he really is.
    About as much chance as you swimming across The English Channel in a Crombé overcoat.
  • Options

Helmut Marko saying he hopes to make a decision this week on the second Red Bull seat. I really hope it's Sergio, Alex seems like a nice guy but he's not got near to Max. 
  • Options
    Speaking of which, apologies if already posted and apologies for my small screen but final top 6 were as follows. 

• Options
    that is that is ridiculous as I didn’t change line up after first week ! 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Neither did I, completely forgot about it until just now
  • Options
    I forgot too, and finished 4th
  • Options
    Bloody hell my 2nd team would have won outright!

• Options
    Will probably mean nothing but a month ago we had a shoot for ExxonMobil for their Red Bull partnership that we manage and we were told on the morning to cancel the edits with Alex Albon and he wasnt attending.

Now wait for him to be announced tomorrow AM.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_qzTTL5m3bU

Really good behind the scenes video of Hamilton and Rossi’s bike / car swap.

Makes you realise how supremely talented they both are 
  • Options
    Alphatauri confirm Yuki Tsunodas promotion from F2. Just leaves that works seat now.
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Neither did I, completely forgot about it until just now
    That’s my eldest who won it , the snake changed it up and all that triple double points stuff ....
    I didn’t change it up either and finished near the bottom
  • Options
    Did anyone see (or more importantly hear) the clip of Alonso driving his 2005 championship winning car round Abu Dhabi?

my god the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. It makes you realise how shite the current cars sound. 

Remembering that echo in the air at the track when they came out the pits and were a mile away or so heading towards where you were sitting. The beer in your cup shook as they went past. I honestly believe the roar as an F1 car went past was the moment I fell in love with the sport.

• Options
    Did anyone see (or more importantly hear) the clip of Alonso driving his 2005 championship winning car round Abu Dhabi?

my god the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. It makes you realise how shite the current cars sound. 

Remembering that echo in the air at the track when they came out the pits and were a mile away or so heading towards where you were sitting. The beer in your cup shook as they went past. I honestly believe the roar as an F1 car went past was the moment I fell in love with the sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpulR1SJGgM&ab_channel=VarunDubey
  • Options
    Will probably mean nothing but a month ago we had a shoot for ExxonMobil for their Red Bull partnership that we manage and we were told on the morning to cancel the edits with Alex Albon and he wasnt attending.

Now wait for him to be announced tomorrow AM.
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/154273/perez-poised-to-replace-albon-at-red-bull-for-2021
  • Options
    Feel sorry for Albon in a way... Its another results driven basis and you need to be the best to drive one of the Mercedes or Red Bulls etc. but would have liked him to have had more time to settle with the team

At the same time Perez should never have been left without a seat next year

RB were never going to please everyone with their decision
  • Options
    It isn't so much that Red Bull expected Albon to be beating Verstappen, but we have to be honest and acknowledge that he was too far behind him.
  • Options
    Verstappen is a very high bar to set yourself to. 

Will be interesting to see how Perez slots into the Red Bull family, first time in a long time they've taken on a non RB driver
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It isn't so much that Red Bull expected Albon to be beating Verstappen, but we have to be honest and acknowledge that he was too far behind him.
    Exactly this.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    You could make a case that Verstappen is the fastest driver on the grid at the moment. If they were in identical cars it’d certainly be very close fight between him and Hamilton. Albon was never likely to match Verstappen, but what he needed to be doing was be close enough to disrupt the Mercs a bit. Maybe get ahead of Bottas occasionally, pick up extra points and podiums if Merc had a rare bad day. He’s been nowhere near doing that. Sakhir GP was a perfect example. Max crashes out, Mercs well down the order, Albon finishes 6th when 4th is par for him even without Max and the Mercs being gone.

With Mclaren improving and getting Merc engines, and Ferrari unlikely to be this bad again next year, Red Bull need someone who will maximize constructors points for them and be ready to capitalize on others’ mistakes, which is pretty much what a Perez has made a career of. I feel like he’s earnt a shot in a top car whereas Albon was gifted it somewhat. A bit harsh he’s not dropping back to Alpha Tauri though. 
  • Options
    You could make a case that Verstappen is the fastest driver on the grid at the moment. If they were in identical cars it’d certainly be very close fight between him and Hamilton. Albon was never likely to match Verstappen, but what he needed to be doing was be close enough to disrupt the Mercs a bit. Maybe get ahead of Bottas occasionally, pick up extra points and podiums if Merc had a rare bad day. He’s been nowhere near doing that. Sakhir GP was a perfect example. Max crashes out, Mercs well down the order, Albon finishes 6th when 4th is par for him even without Max and the Mercs being gone.

With Mclaren improving and getting Merc engines, and Ferrari unlikely to be this bad again next year, Red Bull need someone who will maximize constructors points for them and be ready to capitalize on others’ mistakes, which is pretty much what a Perez has made a career of. I feel like he’s earnt a shot in a top car whereas Albon was gifted it somewhat. A bit harsh he’s not dropping back to Alpha Tauri though. 
    Tsunoda is very quick from what we've seen in F2, is Honda backed so though they are pulling out of F1 having their driver on a team helps with if RB decide to rebadge the current engines etc and Gladly has been performing very well this season too, so well in fact that there was talk of him switching places with Alvin midseason. Albon moving to reserve driver is probably in his eyes a better bet than dropping down to AT again, at least if Max or Checo miss a race he's a shoe in for the seat
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Perez to Red Bull confirmed.

Albon will take the role of test and reserve driver.

Albon Voyage!

• Options
    The battle behind Mercedes next year is going to be massively exciting, Red Bull with 2 proper drivers that can challenge for the first time since Danny Ric left, McLaren with Mercedes power and Danny Ric's ability to drag results from anything. No idea what to expect from Aston Martin or Ferrari but they'll be in there too.

Red Bull had to go Perez to give them any hope of genuinely taking the fight to Mercedes in the last year of the current regs. 
  • Options
    There seems to be a single mindedness that is needed and a lot of people don't like it. 
  • Options
    Fully expect the public to turn against Max. Thats generally what happens with winners - and he is going to be a multiple winner.

Mansell and Hill were loved for being glorious in defeat on the whole. A very British trait.

I agree Max's personality will turn some off, but I can imagine he will still be lauded in Holland even though he is a Monaco resident etc.
  • Options
    The orange army will be interesting at Zandvoort next year if Max isn't right up there for the win.