Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    @Addickted
    “Petulant”. Yes. 
    When I wrote that post I was struggling to find words that fully describe Max Verstappen and that is a word I definitely could’ve used, so thanks!
  • Options
    Verstappen is at a different stage of his career. If I was Lewis, I wouldn't want him in my team. Mind you, if I was Verstappen, I wouldn't want Lewis in my team either.
  • Options
    BBC said Albon was over half a second slower than Verstappen on averages 
  • Options
    You could make a case that Verstappen is the fastest driver on the grid at the moment. If they were in identical cars it’d certainly be very close fight between him and Hamilton. Albon was never likely to match Verstappen, but what he needed to be doing was be close enough to disrupt the Mercs a bit. Maybe get ahead of Bottas occasionally, pick up extra points and podiums if Merc had a rare bad day. He’s been nowhere near doing that. Sakhir GP was a perfect example. Max crashes out, Mercs well down the order, Albon finishes 6th when 4th is par for him even without Max and the Mercs being gone.

With Mclaren improving and getting Merc engines, and Ferrari unlikely to be this bad again next year, Red Bull need someone who will maximize constructors points for them and be ready to capitalize on others’ mistakes, which is pretty much what a Perez has made a career of. I feel like he’s earnt a shot in a top car whereas Albon was gifted it somewhat. A bit harsh he’s not dropping back to Alpha Tauri though. 
    Regarding your first sentence.....tactically Lewis would get the better of Verstappen every time, which would always be a huge advantage for him, as good as Verstappen may be.
  • Options
    Of the drivers in the top teams, Leclerc is the most likeable by far
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    sam3110 said:
    Of the drivers in the top teams, Leclerc is the most likeable by far
    I wonder how many years of Ferrari being incompetent will he tolerate though? Even nice guys have a boundary.

Could he be a Lewis replacement possibly if Merc don't go for Max? 

• Options
    Just a couple of thoughts on Verstappen. This may be an unpopular opinion, but it’s just a personal perspective.

There’s no doubt he’s an excellent driver. A real talent. He’ll clearly be challenging for multiple titles if not winning them for a large part of his career.
    But I look at the, frankly, bewildering amount of hatred that so many people have for Lewis Hamilton and it makes me wonder how the public perception of Verstappen will change in the coming years. 
    I don’t know if Hamilton is disliked because he wins so often or if it’s a personality thing (I suspect a combination of both.) But if personality is a large factor, I’d expect a lot of those people to turn against Max as time goes on.

I say this because from a personality point of view, I think Lewis compares very favourably to Max. Verstappen appears, to me at least, to be more arrogant, less gracious, more obnoxious, a bigger complainer on track, he throws blame around and generally seems to behave like an entitled brat.
    I’d also say he’s more prone to irresponsible or impulsive driving decisions, but that has been less so as he’s matured.

I respect his skill and talent. If he wins multiple titles, I’ll applaud and say fair play. But his personality? No, sorry. I think he’s a prick. Certainly a bigger one than Hamilton.
    So when people hope and pray for Verstappen to end Hamilton’s reign, it makes me think “be careful what you wish for”.
    Both pricks, in my view; but how many high level individual sportsmen have been really likeable as human beings ? Federer maybe ?  

It would be undeniably nice to see someone else win a world championship; I’d rather it be Perez than Verstappen.  If Rosberg can beat Hamilton, that’s not inconceivable if Red Bull can improve
  • Options
    I think Hamilton has mellowed quite a bit in the past few years. So much so he actually comes across well when you hear him speak. Always praises his team etc. 

Max is young and a bit arrogant still. He's a top driver but will be good to see him with a good teammate again who can push him 
  • Options
    On a brighter note during todays transfer window - Juan Manuel Correa will return to racing this year in Formula 3

For those unfamiliar with the name, he was the lucky survivor in the crash that killed Hubert @ Spa in 2019
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On a brighter note during todays transfer window - Juan Manuel Correa will return to racing this year in Formula 3

For those unfamiliar with the name, he was the lucky survivor in the crash that killed Hubert @ Spa in 2019
    This is absolutely fantastic news! Original estimates was he wasn't due to be able to race this year. Even though it's a step down to F3 , ART will give him a real chance at some wins. 
  • Options
    Very interesting it's only a 1 year deal. 

The charitable foundation aspect between himself and Mercedes does sound absolutely brilliant too. 
  • Options
    Only a 1 year deal as rumours have it the new big big boss of Mercedes isn't willing to commit to F1 long term, and they think Hamilton is pricing himself very high. They have Russell in the pipeline and are focusing a lot of energy into Formula E so we'll see what happens in a couple of years time with Mercedes. 
  • Options
    I have a suspicion that if everything aligns and he believes he can win a title there, Hamilton would like to finish his career at Ferrari.
  • Options
    Glad its only for one year... Read a rumour the other day that it would be a two year deal with Hamilton basically getting to decide who his team mate would be and would have the power to veto any team mate decisions he didnt like

I feared for Russell's opportunities at Mercedes if that had been the case as cant imagine Hamilton being happy about Russell joining and having the risk of this young British pretender in the team out performing him
  • Options
    And yet you then get conflicting reports...

If he isnt fit to start the season I wonder who will take his seat

• Options
    I mean a bruised face with missing teeth and a broken jaw are pretty similar, especially as the "broken jaw" will most likely be a hairline fracture. I'd imagine he'll be fine for the start of the season, and if not then I'd imagine Zhou will deputise, becoming the first ever Chinese f1 driver
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I like the idea of a sprint race. It creates a proper atmosphere over three days which has to help the sport. I appreciate some teams are saying there is more likely to be car damage which can make things far more expensive for them.

There used to be qualifying on the Friday and Saturday but this wasn't ideal as if conditions were worse on a Saturday, the session would become a non event. 

One suggestion I would make would be to have qualifying on Friday and Saturday giving points (not Championship) per position all the way down the grid. 1st would be 1 point, 15th 15. Then the points for both sessions could be added and the lowest gets pole. Where drivers have the same points, the best timed lap orders them or possibly the best timed Saturday lap.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Seems that Alpine expect him back for Pre-Season testing, even after having surgery on a broken jaw

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.alpine-expect-alonso-to-be-fully-operational-ahead-of-new-season-after.1XsjaXqNcXftGx62ZwHvBH.html
  • Options
    Season Three of Drive to Survive on Netflix will be released on March 19th
  • Options
    What are the opinions so far on the McLaren and Alphatauri new liveries?
  • Options
    The McLaren might as well be the 2020 livery , it's fine but thought from the teasers it might be a bit different. 

Quite like the AT livery being in effect the reverse of last year's. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    The McLaren might as well be the 2020 livery , it's fine but thought from the teasers it might be a bit different. 

Quite like the AT livery being in effect the reverse of last year's. 
    With the AT one I prefer last years to be honest, think they've gone a bit OTT with the blue
  • Options
    Both liveries are a step down from last season, the AlphaTauri is now almost as navy as the RBR car and the McLaren has too many colours in it, papaya, blue, black, white, the red of Huski on the rear wing, the rainbow stripe, it's all too much together, especially with the scattergun approach of sponsors
  • Options

Love some of the photoshops around of modern cars with some of the classic livery colours of old.
  • Options
    I wouldn't expect anything too crazy on the livery front from anyone. Unless Williams find a title sponsor . 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    MarcusH26 said:
    I wouldn't expect anything too crazy on the livery front from anyone. Unless Williams find a title sponsor . 
    Or unless Hamilton has agreed something special for this year of his Silver Arrows contract.