Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post match views Charlton 0-3 Preston

Comments

• edited October 2015
    <
    KM/RD - questioning Luzon means I automatically question the board, where the buck stops. What's the plan, guys? Why am I hearing worrying rumours like £1.5m for Sarr, or that the older fans apparently don't matter, or that KM didn't actually know what Chapple did? Why do we know nothing about the injuries - not even what they are, explicitly? The questions go on; the various other thoughts go on...

This is my football club. What is happening?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sporting Lisbon paid £1m for him, heard we paid 2m & Sporting fans pissing themselves wondering why anyone would pay that. As I said elsewhere he looks lost, out of position, & marks no one. Still very young but so obviously nowhere near Championship standard. Don't blame him or any of the other players who are obviously not good enough, blame the idiots making the signings
  • Missed It said:

The first goal was just begging to be scored. We sit behind the goal and it was clear the wall was set up wrong, not covering the right side of the goal properly and he was stood way too far to the left. Really poor. If Pope is going to give every team a goal start we are heading straight for League One. Henderson can't get fit soon enough and Pope can't get his P45 soon enough either.

I've seen a lot of shit football at the Valley down the years, but we made Preston North End (with 8 points and no wins since August) look like Bayern Munich. I can't even be bother to be angry about it anymore

Exactly the same as against Huddersfield
  • It was that bad i bored the pants of the people on the match thread. We have a league 1 owner a league one 1 manager and half the players are that standard. Thats where we heading.
  • Surely Luzon was attempting to make a statement to the Management with that starting line-up. Alternatively he genuinely selected what he believed to be our strongest XI for the game, which would only serve to destroy his credibility as a Manager.
    Neither scenario is palatable, but I hope it is the former.
  • I found myself wishing the would score another goal ,God i got go lie down :-(
  • We looked hopeless going forward until Makienok came on and even then watt was too deep to get near to his knockdowns. Our midfield is simply not creative so we can only play the long ball stuff which may be effective. Our midfield was made up of two left backs and two defensive midfielders. There is no cover for the wings at all, hence why Bergdich played on the right. One highlight for me was Holmes-Dennis, he couldn't have asked for a more difficult debut and was at least getting into space and positions and was probably our most creative player.
    The problem lies with Duchatelet, I think the first eleven isn't bad and I don't even think we need two players for every position, just 18 players or so covered by the youth team. I get not spending tons of money on shite in the hope we go up but he's not even doing that.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think it was the forwards fault, I'd blame the midfield for the lack of creativity.
    The early goal fucked us with a rusty spoon and put the crowd in a bad mood. I don't even think that was a free kick, all irrelevant now though, football is a game of what ifs and individual errors I guess.
  • That was simply appalling. I've been watching Charlton regularly since 1965, and I didn't see one single redeeming feature in tonight's debacle.

Preston were on the worst run in the whole division, hadn't won in ten games. After one minute and 48 seconds their strikers were free and away; we can't defend without fouling. The free-kick from 22 yards wasn't powerfully despatched to the corner of the net; it was curved gently over the wall and crossed the line a yard and a half inside the post. Too easy.

The second goal was a result of abject defending. Pope parried from a corner, the ball dropped ten yards out - and our defenders stood like frozen men, staring at it. A Preston player sprinted to collect, and set up his mate to shoot. 2-0.

After 42 minutes, Preston hit the bar from another unchallenged cross.

Half-time; a rocket in the dressing-room; three subs as options. Yet, with a whole 45 minutes in which to throw the kitchen sink, we played even worse. Those balls from our defenders on the edge of our box, under no pressure but slammed clumsily 20 yards forward, are a sad failing we have witnessed repeatedly ever since we were promoted from League One. And when we have possession on the half-way line we attempt ten-yard triangles that are simply doomed to failure: ambushed, out-muscled, intercepted.

For three or four seasons we, the punters, have demanded tough and creative midfielders. We are still waiting.

Our forwards are hopeless: they don't have the wit to run off the ball and make space. At six-feet-seven, Makienok ended up on his arse when not laying-off balls to our opponents. Fox rushed forward and shot 12 feet over the bar: this is comical. On 62 minutes another of our defensive headers was ignored by the midfield; Preston seized possession and rifled in the third.

For those Lifers who weren't at the game and rely on reports: it took us 80 minutes to win our first corner. At home, The Valley. We managed just one shot on target in the whole 90 minutes against a team in the bottom three.

We have a wealthy owner who signs incompetent players. What an appalling waste.

We need Mak to attack the offensive headers, yet he seems to somehow get underneath the long ball which negates his height advantage. It might be the least of our problems, but it's frustrating and he could be so much more effective if he used his momentum to propel himself towards the ball rather than use a standing jump.

• RobRob
    edited October 2015
    The writing has been on the wall since the Rotherham game and it has been progressively getting worse until today's fiasco. That starting lineup was a joke if you compare it to what was on the bench and many said that on the match thread before we had even kicked off. And then to go 1 down after a minute - unbelievable incompetence from the management.

I think GL is one of those managers who feels he can influence what is happening on the field by pure emotion. Hence his gesticulating and clown antics from the sidelines which culminated in his inane celebrations against Hull. That can only work for a short period and then grows old (a bit like the impetus of a new manager syndrome). It just doesn't work like that and having some tactical and selection nous helps (duh!).

In my opinion GL is being found out and the buck stops with him. Agreed, the ultimate fault lays with RD for having appointed him in the first place but, for the immediate need, I don't think GL has the personality or the demeanour to be able to correct this. The sooner a cooler head with more experience is appointed the better. The trouble is, who will it be (if anyone) because RD is in charge. And that's the dilemma we are forced to put up with while the wheels continue to come off the bus.

Bad Times at Charlton High I'm afraid.
  • This tonight & Mum's funeral tomorrow.....

Says it all.

Feel for you Fanny. :-(
  • edited October 2015

Leuth said:

I shall summarise that game in a haiku

We played 3 left-backs;
    the best bit of left-back play
    was by their keeper

Superb.

Here's my story. About six months hack I started seeing a woman. We can call her Carol, because that's hername. She has two young children. They are nice, as is she. This afternoon, while I was at work, she texted me, did I want to go for a Chinese meal with her and the children and a friend of hers who is over from Australia. I politely declined, citing the football. She wished me well. About 9 she sent a nice message saying the food was great and she hoped I was enjoying the football.

I wasn't.

Night all.
    Gave this^ a like, even though it got my biggest LOL in quite a while :D
  • Almost wish our pitch was shit so it's stopped any football being played on it.

Might end up getting something out the game that way.
  • Sponsored links:

• This tonight & Mum's funeral tomorrow.....

Says it all.

Hi Jean, hope everything goes well with the funeral. Thinking of you. Jessie xx
  • Just on last night it's 100% league one
  • Just on last night it's 100% league one

That good ?!
  • It was that bad i bored the pants of the people on the match thread. We have a league 1 owner a league one 1 manager and half the players are that standard. Thats where we heading.

If only we were that good. Any league one side would have taken us to the cleaners last night just like the way PNE did. A side that has not won since August remember, were made to look like a top of the table outfit. Still pissed off this morning that I had to sit and watch that turd for 90 minutes.
  • edited October 2015
  • Time for Duchatelet to sell up. That's the only way for a better future. We're going down.

We need to go down for Duchatelet to sell up, and have a better future.