Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post match views Charlton 0-3 Preston

Comments

• This tonight & Mum's funeral tomorrow.....

Says it all.

• I will dream tonight that a rich Canadian who emigrated from Woolwich in the 60s will buy the club and install Nathan Jones as manager.

Been gone too long.....
  • It was my belief that our current poor form was purely down to the injury crisis and small squad, but there was no excusing tonight. Truly dreadful performance, awful.
  • I will put my hands up and admit I was pleased when Luzon was appointed and got quite a bit of grief for saying he played the kind of football I like to see before he had even won a game - attacking football.

What was that? 3 left backs, a young kid playing his first game and out of position. He and fox stood in the same place and went for the same headers and did not win any of them. Bizarre. Watt had a good game and only he and Cousins came out of that shambles with any credit.

I have never called for a manager to be sacked, but we do need to do something to lift the gloom. A quality loan player seems unlikely so there are not any other options that I can see.

Curbs would be great, I like Jason so would not wish the job on him but would at least be a person that most would get behind. JJ as his number 2?
  • Beckboy said:

There isn't a word in the dictionary to describe that performance

There will be one on urbandictionary I'm sure...

p.s. say it week in week out since he signed how is Bergdich a footballer? Positionally the worst I have ever seen, defensively as bad - he's outdone all flops that have signed for this club, he is king of them.
    A left back who has been played on the left wing & now the right wing with ONE game in his actual position. I think like Bulot who every body slagged off until he settled into the team Berdich will have a lot to offer in the future given the chance.

The player who does look a total flop is Sarr. Again he hasn't had much game time & is still very young but have you actually studied him in a game ? Constantly out of position & doesn't pick up attackers in the box, it's as though he's out for a sunday afternoon stroll. Of course if we had an experienced center back to guide him & point out where he should go & perhaps lead the back four it could help him develop. Instead the only experience we have at the back is a central midfielder.
  • LouisMend said:

LouisMend said:

I spoke to Guy at FT, have a listen.

I ask him if he's worried about his future at the end.
    You need to be asking bigger questions than this. And not to Luzon.
    KM and RD don't don't do the post match managerial interviews.
    As a paper, you clearly have better access to her than fans. Journalism also extends beyond interviews. Nothing wrong with writing an article is there?
  • Posting without slitting my wrists.

Poor all over the pitch and on the bench.

Credit to Preston who controlled the game from start to finish, scored three good goals and restricted us to no real chances and a few feeble shots.

And Preston had 5 or 6 players out.

Won't blame Pope as nothing he could do with the goals and he did everything else OK.

Ba was shockingly bad, ,Cousins not good at all and that meant we had no midfield.

Watt tried but tried to do too much.

Sarr looks a poor poor buy at this point in time.

Bergdich doesn't look like he can cope with English football.

McAleny - Just why? Why bring him on before Mak, instead of Moussa or at all. Why is he even at this club?

Fox made too many errors.

KAG and TDH are kids who tried but need to come into a settled side not the mess we are now.

Getting Big Mak back was a positive but no one seemed to want to get with 20 yards of him

JJ isn't a miracle worker.

Found the team selection and subs bizarre but the lack of cohesive passing, movement or shots depressingly predictable.

Tonight we looked like a relegated side. Not a side in a relegation fight but one that had already gone because there was so little fight.

I will dream tonight that a rich Canadian who emigrated from Woolwich in the 60s will buy the club and install Nathan Jones as manager but then I'll wake up.

Henry the only thing I take issue on is Popes performance,first goal after about a minute,he did not set wall up correctly for free kick which led to first goal and he was also to far to his left.

Second goal he flapped at the cross initially which led to goal.

Having said that there was also little positive happening in front of him but can not see hi as blameless.
  • Have we only scored 1 first half goal all season? Disgraceful. There can't be a comparatively worse attacking side than us in any league in the world. The way we play football is all wrong.
  • edited October 2015
    Redrobo said:

I will put my hands up and admit I was pleased when Luzon was appointed and got quite a bit of grief for saying he played the kind of football I like to see before he had even won a game - attacking football.

What was that? 3 left backs, a young kid playing his first game and out of position. He and fox stood in the same place and went for the same headers and did not win any of them. Bizarre. Watt had a good game and only he and Cousins came out of that shambles with any credit.

I have never called for a manager to be sacked, but we do need to do something to lift the gloom. A quality loan player seems unlikely so there are not any other options that I can see.

Curbs would be great, I like Jason so would not wish the job on him but would at least be a person that most would get behind. JJ as his number 2?

Won't solve the underlying problem, but this team might need to hang on until the January window and they will buy some patience that will be much needed. If RD had any sense he would make this appointment tomorrow- so we know it won't happen then! Not blaming Luzon though - he is a victim in all of this, just as Peeters, Riga and Powell have been.
  • The worst central midfield performance I've ever seen. Preston had so much space in front of our back 4 it was embarrassing. Don't get me wrong we had many other problems but our central 2 lost this match.

Now Big Mak is fit we ought to go 4-5-1 for a few games to grind out results.

All credit to PNE. One sensed they knew we were there for the taking and executed their game plan extremely well. Their supporters were well rewarded for the trip.
  • Sponsored links:

• That 'performance' reminded me a bit of Norwich at home last year, where we were also 2-0 down at half time, and the 'sacked in the morning' chant came out.

Just a culmination of a whole new level of shit at the end of a disastrous run. I didn't think Saturday's display at Reading could be worsened, but how wrong I was.

Whilst Luzon has to take blame for some strange tactical/selection decisions lately, I do also sympathise with him for the predicament with jnjuries. Just look at the vast difference in quality between Makienok and KAG for example.

I don't think it is fair for Luzon to get sacked, because he has been dealt a shite hand by the owners.

HOWEVER

This squad needs a boost and quick, and a change of manager might do that. It's a sorry scenario for Guy, but it's a cruel industry and we desperately need something to change.

Says it all.

Too much to bear, Jean.
    I hope tomorrow gives you some peace for such a loved one, thinking of you.

Puts it all into perspective. Some things are more important than football - My sympathies.
  • The first goal was just begging to be scored. We sit behind the goal and it was clear the wall was set up wrong, not covering the right side of the goal properly and he was stood way too far to the left. Really poor. If Pope is going to give every team a goal start we are heading straight for League One. Henderson can't get fit soon enough and Pope can't get his P45 soon enough either.

I've seen a lot of shit football at the Valley down the years, but we made Preston North End (with 8 points and no wins since August) look like Bayern Munich. I can't even be bother to be angry about it anymore
  • Riviera said:

My first game in about a year, I won't be hurrying back. Can't believe people think it's the worst they've seen in XX years though? I've seen a lot worse.
    It wasn't even all of Preston that beat us, just the North End!
    Positives, the pitch still seems as lush as when I was last there.

Probably not the best time for a wind-up Mike.
    #banter I assume....
  • Posting without slitting my wrists.

Poor all over the pitch and on the bench.

Credit to Preston who controlled the game from start to finish, scored three good goals and restricted us to no real chances and a few feeble shots.

And Preston had 5 or 6 players out.

Won't blame Pope as nothing he could do with the goals and he did everything else OK.

Ba was shockingly bad, ,Cousins not good at all and that meant we had no midfield.

Watt tried but tried to do too much.

Sarr looks a poor poor buy at this point in time.

Bergdich doesn't look like he can cope with English football.

McAleny - Just why? Why bring him on before Mak, instead of Moussa or at all. Why is he even at this club?

Fox made too many errors.

KAG and TDH are kids who tried but need to come into a settled side not the mess we are now.

Getting Big Mak back was a positive but no one seemed to want to get with 20 yards of him

JJ isn't a miracle worker.

Found the team selection and subs bizarre but the lack of cohesive passing, movement or shots depressingly predictable.

Tonight we looked like a relegated side. Not a side in a relegation fight but one that had already gone because there was so little fight.

I will dream tonight that a rich Canadian who emigrated from Woolwich in the 60s will buy the club and install Nathan Jones as manager but then I'll wake up.

Henry the only thing I take issue on is Popes performance,first goal after about a minute,he did not set wall up correctly for free kick which led to first goal and he was also to far to his left.

Second goal he flapped at the cross initially which led to goal.

Having said that there was also little positive happening in front of him but can not see hi as blameless.
    Thought he was too far to his left for the free kick as well but would like to see again
  • edited October 2015

Riviera said:

My first game in about a year, I won't be hurrying back. Can't believe people think it's the worst they've seen in XX years though? I've seen a lot worse.
    It wasn't even all of Preston that beat us, just the North End!
    Positives, the pitch still seems as lush as when I was last there.

Probably not the best time for a wind-up Mike.
    #banter I assume....
    Not at all. Operation Ewood and a home thrashing by WBA where Earnshaw scored a hat-trick spring to mind. Plus so many more. People have such short memories.
  • Sponsored links:

• Having just returned from a 250 mile round trip, I feel I put in more effort than half our players tonight!
    I've given Luzon the benefit of the doubt up until tonight but tonight's selection was unforgivable. 3 left backs in the same side automatically means 2 are out of position but for one of them to be a youngster making his debut in a team lacking confidence for what is effectively a 6 pointer in a relegation fight is pure madness. What makes it worse is that he had a very experienced bench; if they weren't fit enough for a whole game why not give them a half each.
    I've seen a few Charlton relegation sides in my 50 years and unless injuries clear up soon, this is another one.
  • edited October 2015
    LouisMend said:

LouisMend said:

LouisMend said:

I spoke to Guy at FT, have a listen.

I ask him if he's worried about his future at the end.
    You need to be asking bigger questions than this. And not to Luzon.
    KM and RD don't don't do the post match managerial interviews.
    As a paper, you clearly have better access to her than fans. Journalism also extends beyond interviews. Nothing wrong with writing an article is there?
    Both the papers I've written for in the past as a freelancer have had KM interviews in the last week or two, conducted and written by their full time staff.

News Shopper, who I have volunteered for the past, had the two part interview written by Louis Sealey the new sports editor.

South London Press, who every now and then chuck me a couple of wuid to write a match report for, had KM quotes in today's paper about Luzon's future, written by Rich Cawley.

Tonight I was paid by BBC London to provide a post match interview with the head coach. That's all I could do tonight - and I asked tough questions - including why, injuries or not, we've only had two shots on target in two games.

I thought it was a very good interview. You asked what everyone wanted to know other than " what the f"""" was you playing at picking that team "? I find every interview Luzon does , monotonous , to be fair .

Says it all.

So sorry to read that, Jean. Thinking of you tomorrow x

Says it all.

Too much to bear, Jean.
    I hope tomorrow gives you some peace for such a loved one, thinking of you.

Thanks, it's much appreciated.

• Shocking, can't see how Luzon can keep his job after that.

3 left back's starting was ridiculous, same ponderous buildup play which results in us moving 5 yards backwards. No off the ball movement. 2 wins in 12, no away win since March. No first half goal's this season. Guy is not a very good coach.
  • Goodness that was bad worst I have seen for many a year, clearly a split dressing room with no managerial guidance. Squad is nowhere near as bad as everyone is saying what's lacking is a tactical plan and leadership. Performance tonight lacked both and that is down to Luzon and his backroom staff. I was staggered tonight in how bad the team was set up throughout with no idea what to do once we had possesion. At one stage Watt was back alongside Sarr in defence surely thats not how to positionally be after we have just taken a corner. Will he be sacked, I bloody hope so.