Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• colin1961 said:

markmc68 said:

Deadline day damp squib ???
    Again

We have had a very busy transfer window just because as yet we not got anyone don't mean it's not been a very good window
    Pourquoi?
    Parce que notre équipe est beaucoup plus fort que ce temps de l'année dernière .
  • Southbank said:

Would be happy with pennant for the season & a decent RB if ones available on loan.
    We are a bit thin sure but what we have got is good enough to compete.

Yes,disappointingly like last year,a good first 11 and no depth.Makes you think RD is marking time rather than having a plan for the club.
    Think about the squad we had at the point RD took over the club. Think about the squad now. It's way way better than then and the squad now is way better than the one that finished last season.

If you add into the equation the money spent on The Valley and the impressive plans for Sparrows Lane then I just can't understand the suggestion that RD is marking time. Surely that would imply no progress.

If this current squad can push on from last year then with the same level of commitment and investment next summer I really think we can mount a serious challange.

Is there any evidence to suggest otherwise ?

Not that I'm aware of ... good post.
  • Southbank said:

Would be happy with pennant for the season & a decent RB if ones available on loan.

Yes,disappointingly like last year,a good first 11 and no depth.Makes you think RD is marking time rather than having a plan for the club.
    Think about the squad we had at the point RD took over the club. Think about the squad now. It's way way better than then and the squad now is way better than the one that finished last season.

If you add into the equation the money spent on The Valley and the impressive plans for Sparrows Lane then I just can't understand the suggestion that RD is marking time. Surely that would imply no progress.

If this current squad can push on from last year then with the same level of commitment and investment next summer I really think we can mount a serious challange.

I agree with what you are saying but would be worried come next summer if we would be able to still hold on to JBG, JC AND TW.
  • Southbank said:

I certainly don't think he is marking time but I said from the beginning that he would not run Charlton in the way that most owners run their clubs and consequently it would be a "bumpy ride" and so it has proved.

The investment in the ground and the planned investment in the training ground (not happened yet) are both very positive and any investment in the team would have been an improvement after the spiv brothers.

However two of the corner stones of RDs strategy of doing it differently were the network and FFP.

With Standard sold the network has little or nothing to offer us. Some would argue that the bad outweighed the good in any case and that with only Watt and Reza from the current squad having come from the network backs that up. There have been a few other good players but short term loans or buys who soon moved on meaning no stability or momentum.

FFP has been blown out of the water as the spending this summer shows. It will not bring other clubs' budgets closer to ours so we have to cope with relatively less money to spend. To counter that we have to rely on youth products stepping up and on getting by with a smaller squad. Which is what it seems we are doing.

The, IMHO, inherent weakness in Roland regime was the sub-standard recruitment (Le Pointless, etc, etc etc) but that seems to have been, finally after 18 months, addressed.

So no, Roland isn't standing still. He (and KM and GL) want us to progress. But then so does every other owner in this division.

The measure isn't do we have a better squad than last year but do with have a squad able to finish higher than 12th when put up against the other squads that have been assembled.

I think we do but it is still a mighty thin squad.
  • Greenie said:

Shame we didn't bring in anyone else as I would have thought the long list of injuries we have already suffered would have highlighted just how thin the squad is. Oh well, if we're lucky we can patch the squad up and push for the play offs, but if not as long as we keep what we've brought in this season together we can put together a proper squad to challenge next season

Loans.
    Let's hope so. In the past we've rarely made particularly strong use of the loan market under RD though. I get the feeling he's not a fan, possibly because loans don't fit the ideal of investing in a player who can be moved on for profit if needed. Last season we did very well in the new year bringing in unattached players so that could also be an option if the right players are out there
  • colin1961 said:

Craig Noone of Cardiff come very close to joining us late yesterday expect us to try again for a loan deal

That would be a good signing. Pennant really must be a last resort if we're going after Championship wingers like Henry, Bennett and Paterson.
  • Greenie said:

Shame we didn't bring in anyone else as I would have thought the long list of injuries we have already suffered would have highlighted just how thin the squad is. Oh well, if we're lucky we can patch the squad up and push for the play offs, but if not as long as we keep what we've brought in this season together we can put together a proper squad to challenge next season

Loans.
    Let's hope so. In the past we've rarely made particularly strong use of the loan market under RD though. I get the feeling he's not a fan, possibly because loans don't fit the ideal of investing in a player who can be moved on for profit if needed. Last season we did very well in the new year bringing in unattached players so that could also be an option if the right players are out there
    Think Loans make sense, we've got a good first team, easily capable of play offs IMHO, however as already mentioned injuries and suspensions can eat into our top layer of talent, so bolster it with loans, not forgetting Big Mak is a loanee.
  • colin1961 said:

Craig Noone of Cardiff come very close to joining us late yesterday expect us to try again for a loan deal

LOL
  • Sponsored links:

• colin1961 said:

We've already got No one on the wing?
  • edited September 2015

colin1961 said:

That would be a good signing. Pennant really must be a last resort if we're going after Championship wingers like Henry, Bennett and Paterson.
    I think the problem with Pennant is that he is a right winger whereas we need a left winger which Henry, Paterson and Noone can play. Not sure about Bennett but I think he's a right sided player too....but has the advantage that he can also play right back and therefore would appeal more.
  • colin1961 said:

Maybe pennants lack of match fitness is a concern and causing them to look elsewhere, still for free he would be very good cover at least.
  • I remember luzon said he wanted to see pennant in training when the team aren't playing 2 games a week. That would be when the training wasn't so intense and probably more tactical this would allow him to decide.
  • Loanees come for game time not to warm benches. What are we going to get from Sho-Silva cooling his butt (Won't be warming it up there) on the bench at Inverness?

So the loan market is not the answer is it? OK we did get a good one in Coquelin but remember, if someone like that comes then someone who RD has bought and paid for won't be playing.
  • So you think RD is going to like the idea of bringing in someone else's player to prove his worth to someone else whilst someone he has invested in is losing value on the sidelines? Odd logic there mate.
  • Another young hungry premiership player in the mould of Coquelin would be great. This summer's astute additions have strengthened the squad measurably and I am sure GL has loan targets that would do well. Pennat, although right sided, would be a good addition IMO.
  • Colin, you're a comedic genius mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Southbank said:

The sales of Kermorgant, Stephens and Gomez?
  • Dr Kish ( who seems a reliable blogger to me) reckons we may well get 1 or 2 in as loans I've put the linky thing below-:
    cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201509&date=20150902&time=1046
  • Well Dr Kish is well connected so not going to get much more reliable than that
  • I heard a rumour that come deadline day we will be told that "we were close to a couple of signings but we couldn't quite get them over the line"

Would just like to say I called it! August the third! Thank you..
  • Well Dr Kish is well connected so not going to get much more reliable than that

Thanks @LargeAddick I didn't know that.

Be careful mate you'll have the 'Colin basher' bashers onto you.

Even though he admits to coming on here to wind us up, by deliberately claiming to be ITK, and then watches with pride when the "bullies" get told off by the do gooders.

Calm down everyone. He does it on purpose.

Be careful mate you'll have the 'Colin basher' bashers onto you.

Even though he admits to coming on here to wind us up, by deliberately claiming to be ITK, and then watches with pride when the "bullies" get told off by the do gooders.

Calm down everyone. He does it on purpose.
    I'll finish by stating that I actually really enjoy Cols posts. They're part of CL.
    Is that Crap Logic, Bolderhumphreyreid ?

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!