Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• Interesting that KM says we got all but 2 of our summer targets,Henry was obviously 1 we missed out on,wonder who the other was? Also says that the player budget is all but done.
  • Interesting that KM says we got all but 2 of our summer targets,Henry was obviously 1 we missed out on,wonder who the other was? Also says that the player budget is all but done.

where did she say this? Not seen the article, cheers
  • I believe Diarra signed a one year deal with an option to extend. He is class. Can cover midfield and centre back. I'd be taking that option up asap to be honest.

I'm not convinced it will be as easy as people think to get Pope signed up. He is number 2. Once Henderson is fit he'll be out of the side again. With the extended loan spells he has had he's used to playing. Not sure he'll be overly excited at the prospect of sitting on the bench again.

Fox is imo the most likely to sign quickly. I'd guess there will be a release clause though. If the interest from Swansea is true his head will have been turned slightly.

Henderson's injury record will sadly be an incentive for Pope to stay, you just can't see him playing a full season

In the SLP,she says that a combination of 7 new signings,Cousins and JBG signing new deals and part paying the wages of our loaned out players has pushed us over budget. Moneys there to renegotiate deals for Fox and Pope.
  • I guess that explains why we did not offer a contract to Pennant, assume no loan signings either then if we are already over budget.
  • Sign Fox and Pope on long term contracts. THD Archie Edwards and Dillon phillips waiting in the wings. Then sell the pair of them. Gomez style. Be mad not to.

Roly out !!!!!
  • Sounds like the budget doesn't stretch to meet the salary requirements of the previous seasons squad. I wonder if this will be a year-on-year feature?
  • Let's say Ben Haim, Bikey, Wiggins and Nego were on 20k in total, that 20k that then goes on JBG's and Cousins' better contracts, and the money from Gomez goes on Kashi, Ba, Ceballos, Bergdich and Bauer. So we have cut deadwood, sold a couple of players and reinvested in others, and cutting down the overall wage budget, trying to keep outgoings to a minimum, is this a bad thing or a good thing?
  • What would be interesting is how much of the salary budget is taken up by loaned out signings, like Dmitrovic and Tucudean (or is he back with us?)
  • I believe Diarra signed a one year deal with an option to extend. He is class. Can cover midfield and centre back. I'd be taking that option up asap to be honest.

I'm not convinced it will be as easy as people think to get Pope signed up. He is number 2. Once Henderson is fit he'll be out of the side again. With the extended loan spells he has had he's used to playing. Not sure he'll be overly excited at the prospect of sitting on the bench again.

Fox is imo the most likely to sign quickly. I'd guess there will be a release clause though. If the interest from Swansea is true his head will have been turned slightly.

I would much rather have Fox signed to a long term deal then Pope if we had to chose between the two. Be great to get both to put pen to paper though.
  • Sponsored links:

• but is there money for the Sparrows Lane redevelopment - this will tell whether RD is serious about our club

I agree, that is the real test
  • Be great to have him back for Rotherham. Luzon said after Wolves that he hoped Makienok would be ok, Watt is back as well, and Ceballos should be too.

We should basically have a fully fit squad.
  • Am slightly concerned that not much has been said about watt/makienok injuries, unless I've missed it - anyone know what's wrong?
  • Watt told us via Instagram he was back in training early this week.
  • colin1961 said:

but is there money for the Sparrows Lane redevelopment - this will tell whether RD is serious about our club

I agree, that is the real test
    Well the work as started on the 12 million improvement plan , two of our pitches that we use have been taken back by Charlton to have drainage laid fir the foundations of the new build , they are building two full size all weather surfaces that we will use for our training.
    Who is "we" ?
  • Sponsored links:

• You did say watt is fit...

In the SLP,she says that a combination of 7 new signings,Cousins and JBG signing new deals and part paying the wages of our loaned out players has pushed us over budget. Moneys there to renegotiate deals for Fox and Pope.
    Then just sell the loaned out players so we don't have to pay their wages. Must be a mug club somewhere out there who will take them off our hands. (After all, someone managed to flog them to us once).
  • SexyDave said:

You did say watt is fit...

I thought he was a sexual monster?
  • SexyDave said:

You did say watt is fit...

I thought he was a sexual monster?
    I've got the copyright on that one
  • Valley11 said:

Katrien really talks a lot of sense, fair play. I like that she's our CE.

You Love her, you Love her!!!!, Kat and Valley11 sitting in a tree......etc
  • http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=3328&headline=Charlton Athletic chief: We are exceeding our player wage budget

Good to read articles like this that inform and update fans but still surprises me that it is in the SLP and not on our OS

Good to see the club are making a conscious effort to make sure the academy players are rewarded for their improvements. Learning from the poyet situation.

Maybe a slight dig at the end saying "it shows the people we have know what they're doing" recruitment wise... To people digging out our scouting system after the nego and polish Pete signings.
  • http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=3328&headline=Charlton Athletic chief: We are exceeding our player wage budget

Good to read articles like this that inform and update fans but still surprises me that it is in the SLP and not on our OS

Good to see the club are making a conscious effort to make sure the academy players are rewarded for their improvements. Learning from the poyet situation.

Maybe a slight dig at the end saying "it shows the people we have know what they're doing" recruitment wise... To people digging out our scouting system after the nego and polish Pete signings.
    Agreed, but at least it seems to me that Katrien is acknowledging that the early RD/KM signings were poor and that the financial impact of those is now damaging our ability to fully complete our squad
  • edited September 2015
    Good piece from KM

So what have we learnt?

We're spending more on wages that last season despite fewer players. So we're playing higher wages per head. Costs creeping up? Willing to pay more for better quality? realisation that quality costs more?

We can't sell Polish Pete at a price that we want. Randers wanted him but wouldn't pay the price or all his wages. So, no we can't just ignore that mistake as it is still costing us and limiting our ability to sign new players

Marco is being "developed" in Spain. So maybe not out of the picture completely

Our scouts didn't know about Bauer or Kashi but saw them while scouting other players. Luck or a natural consequence of spreading their net? And who were those other players (Sarr?).

"It shows the people we have in the business know what they are talking about." Now, maybe : - )
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!