Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• Chrispy51 said:

Ross said:

I have always been under the impression that we should have a squad of 25. That is 2 players for every position plus an extra keeper, central midfielder and striker. Youngsters should then supplement this. This would require an additional 7 players before anyone leaves.

However I can only see 5 or 6 come in along with players leaving. This would give us a squad size of around 18-20, meaning that some players will be filling two positions (Diarra for CM and CB for example), and youngsters will be supplementing the squad a lot more. Not ideal when injuries start to hit, and the youngsters lack first team experience.

The squad of 25 is spot on for the premier league, but in my opinion not necessary for the football league. As long as we have enough to cover a first team squad, any key injuries can be filled by emergency loans.

The only way to get the quality into the squad, and still have a budget that won't put us out of business, is to have a smallish squad so you don't flatten out the wages too much and therefore dilute the quality.

We want to remain an attractive proposition for the best of the youth players to join our academy as well. The only way to do that is to make sure there is space in the squad for a couple of youth graduates each year - as long as they are good enough. The more players like Shelvey / Jenkinson / Gomez that we bring through and get to a premier league first team gives us more of a chance of getting the next Shelvey / Jenkinson / Gomez or dare I say it... Parker who can help us push on either in terms of their quality on the field, or the income from their sales.
    Even though Football League clubs play more games?
  • So it looks as it Roland can move money from one pocket to another with PP. Not sure how he will get a return on Reza, one can only hope there are clubs kind of interested, and he has a very persuasive agent.
  • Scoham said:

Exclusive: Charlton strike duo told they can leave
    Friday, 10 July 2015

By Richard Cawley
    REZA Ghoochannejhad and Piotr Parzyszek are both cleared to leave Charlton.

The South London Press understands that the duo are not in head coach Guy Luzon's first-team plans.

See today's South London Press for all the latest Charlton transfer news.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=39493

Well that'll add some undisclosed small change to the pot then.

Oh and thank fudge we're keeping Nego...
  • @RichCawleySLP: Told that Bulot still wants to sign for Charlton. Negotiating with Standard not as easy as it once was...
  • Bubble said:

@RichCawleySLP: Told that Bulot still wants to sign for Charlton. Negotiating with Standard not as easy as it once was...

I don't get this. Roland gave his shares to his number 2 I thought. Surely theres a gentlemans agreement in place that Roland still has some clout there.

Sounds to me like some one trying to get some more money
  • Chrispy51 said:

Ross said:

I have always been under the impression that we should have a squad of 25. That is 2 players for every position plus an extra keeper, central midfielder and striker. Youngsters should then supplement this. This would require an additional 7 players before anyone leaves.

However I can only see 5 or 6 come in along with players leaving. This would give us a squad size of around 18-20, meaning that some players will be filling two positions (Diarra for CM and CB for example), and youngsters will be supplementing the squad a lot more. Not ideal when injuries start to hit, and the youngsters lack first team experience.

The squad of 25 is spot on for the premier league, but in my opinion not necessary for the football league. As long as we have enough to cover a first team squad, any key injuries can be filled by emergency loans.

The only way to get the quality into the squad, and still have a budget that won't put us out of business, is to have a smallish squad so you don't flatten out the wages too much and therefore dilute the quality.

We want to remain an attractive proposition for the best of the youth players to join our academy as well. The only way to do that is to make sure there is space in the squad for a couple of youth graduates each year - as long as they are good enough. The more players like Shelvey / Jenkinson / Gomez that we bring through and get to a premier league first team gives us more of a chance of getting the next Shelvey / Jenkinson / Gomez or dare I say it... Parker who can help us push on either in terms of their quality on the field, or the income from their sales.
    Even though Football League clubs play more games?
    Absolutely, we have the luxury of the emergency loan window to plug gaps so can take a little more risk on a smaller, tighter squad.

Can still have plenty of rotation with a 20 man squad, particularly with how good some of our youth players are.

The way I see it is that we should keep players like JBG and Cousins and bring in some more quality but keep numbers low as opposed to having squads full of players like church who sits there on middling wages and doesn't add anything. Instead of church waiting in the wings for his chance, tell players like KAG or Umerah that they are to be ready in case of injuries, or as I have already said plug the gap with emergency loans IF required

• edited July 2015
    bobcafc7 said:

Anyone got the line ups from the welling game last season ?

Roland might, given that he picks the team line ups (;
  • Would have thought if Roland was selling Standard proceedings would have started a fair while ago, probably before the end of last season, as there would need to be due dil etc. Hence why Bulot transfer isnt easy as the buyers see him as part of the assets of the club they purchased.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bikey had a couple of shockers but he was also terrific for the early part of the season. Ok if he doesn't get on with Luzon, but both are professionals and should just work round it. I'd really like us to keep him.
  • Swisdom said:

Bubble said:

@RichCawleySLP: Told that Bulot still wants to sign for Charlton. Negotiating with Standard not as easy as it once was...

I don't get this. Roland gave his shares to his number 2 I thought. Surely theres a gentlemans agreement in place that Roland still has some clout there.

Sounds to me like some one trying to get some more money
    Yes. That is correct. My understanding is that Bulot is training with us whilst the deal was being finalised. There is an agreement between CAFC and SL to allow this to happen.

I think that the deal was planned to go through yesterday. Unfortunately, another bid appears to have come in from somewhere, thus delaying everything. I also understand that Bulot wants to be with us, which is why he has been at Sparrows Lane this week and will probably take part in pre-season.
  • seth plum said:

Bikey deteriorated to such an alarming extent last season we even played Roger J despite his tendency to produce match turning errors. It looks as if Luzon can't influence his play, so I would rather have a youngster in, or a player such as Diarra covering that position. There is no truth in the non existent rumour that Moussa is being reconfigured to play there!
    Maybe we will abandon finesse in defence anyway, and continually hoof it up to Magicock.

Wow...is this a new striker to go with our Scandinavian giant??

Or, instead of Jamie & his magic torch, we now have Simon and his Magic... :blush:
  • Swisdom said:

I can confirm that, after standing next to our new giant last night - he is a fucking giant. A proper unit.

He excites me - but not in a gay way

Hang on. Let's see if he falls over his feet before we get too excited.
  • I’m not so worried about where we are at this moment but the lack of any rumours. We do seem a bit short of players of the desired quality at the minute! Last season we held off and ruined a great start by not having the depth of squad to cope with injuries and loss of form. We have a few signings to make if we are not going to fall into this trap again. We only have 2 CHs FFS and one of those isn’t speaking to the manager!!! When is the official day when worry can become panic?
  • I still think Reza can do a job for us.

Massive lol to whoever done the flag!
  • Sponsored links:

• Bubble said:

They probably want some of the money back that Roland's taken out of the club.
  • Bulot also in talks with Reims, could steal him from under our nose.
  • edited July 2015

Bulot also in talks with Reims.

• It seems that the sale of SL was amicable enough and that RD has known the new owner For some years and has a good relationship with him. Are Reims simply offering a bigger (undisclosed) fee and. Better wages?
  • edited July 2015

Bulot also in talks with Reims Reems. ITTV could steal him from under our nose.

• Tumbleweed blowing around on the rumours thread on a Friday afternoon - what a sad state of affairs!
  • Tumbleweed blowing around on the rumours thread on a Friday afternoon - what a sad state of affairs!

Must admit, thought things would have got moving by now. Pre season is so important for building squad friendships, camaraderie etc, particularly with a lot of foreign players settling into a new country to take on board.
  • http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/782162708?-11197:833:0

Just thought I would give it some Colin.

Must admit, thought things would have got moving by now. Pre season is so important for building squad friendships, camaraderie etc, particularly with a lot of foreign players settling into a new country to take on board.
    Agree. I am starting to wonder whether the club have learned the lessons of last summer as well as I had hoped. Not sure the penny has dropped that you want the bulk of your squad together as early as possible. One week before tour and we need at least five in.

Hitting the ground running when looking at our opening five fixtures is beginning to look unlikely although not impossible. QPR on the first day might prove to be a very sharp reminder.

I'm disappointed. The one transfer you might have thought would be straightforward is turning into Delort II.

Not panicking yet but it's starting to look worryingly like amateur hour.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!