Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• Chrispy51 said:

Ross said:

I have always been under the impression that we should have a squad of 25. That is 2 players for every position plus an extra keeper, central midfielder and striker. Youngsters should then supplement this. This would require an additional 7 players before anyone leaves.

However I can only see 5 or 6 come in along with players leaving. This would give us a squad size of around 18-20, meaning that some players will be filling two positions (Diarra for CM and CB for example), and youngsters will be supplementing the squad a lot more. Not ideal when injuries start to hit, and the youngsters lack first team experience.

The squad of 25 is spot on for the premier league, but in my opinion not necessary for the football league. As long as we have enough to cover a first team squad, any key injuries can be filled by emergency loans.

The only way to get the quality into the squad, and still have a budget that won't put us out of business, is to have a smallish squad so you don't flatten out the wages too much and therefore dilute the quality.

We want to remain an attractive proposition for the best of the youth players to join our academy as well. The only way to do that is to make sure there is space in the squad for a couple of youth graduates each year - as long as they are good enough. The more players like Shelvey / Jenkinson / Gomez that we bring through and get to a premier league first team gives us more of a chance of getting the next Shelvey / Jenkinson / Gomez or dare I say it... Parker who can help us push on either in terms of their quality on the field, or the income from their sales.
    He said it better!
  • bobcafc7 said:

Anyone got the line ups from the welling game last season ?

Charlton first half: Phillips; Wilson, Wiggins, Morrison, Lennon; Browne, Cousins, Munns, Holmes-Dennis; Church, Pigott.

Charlton second half: Pope, Solly, Fox, Gomez, Bikey, NÈgo, Jackson, Buyens, Harriott; Vetokele, Ansah.

• bobcafc7 said:

Charlton first half: Phillips; Wilson, Wiggins, Morrison, Lennon; Browne, Cousins, Munns, Holmes-Dennis; Church, Pigott.

Charlton second half: Pope, Solly, Fox, Gomez, Bikey, NÈgo, Jackson, Buyens, Harriott; Vetokele, Ansah.

Looking at that we are probably in the same position, maybe stronger attacking wise but weaker defensively.
  • dickplumb said:

Bulot should be signing today.

Still set to happen? Frankly, he is already training with us, so anyone know whats up here?

And are we still getting our 'interesting' news today?
    There is a bit of a hold up. Bulot wants to be at Charlton, which is why he is training with us. My guess is that it will go on for a few days yet whilst some things get sorted out.
    I honestly cannot for the life of me understand what could possibly be holding up the transfer. RD will have cocked up big time if this doesn't go through now. Why wasn't this all done and dusted BEFORE he sold SL?

Player wants to come, (most) Charlton fans would be happy to have him back, we've surely known for some time now what conditions would need to be in place for him to sign (including wage demands) so why the delay??
    Wages / contract length I would suspect.
    And structure of fee. Nothing up-front, all based on appearances and performance and then there is the sell-on fees to negotiate. I think it is all these complications that make it easier for clubs to always state 'undisclosed' fees these days.
  • FFS whatever virgins run them accounts needs to stop now. It's gone beyond cringe.

I know it's all made up but Westwood is a very good keeper
  • edited July 2015
    Looking at the CB situation, were we too quick to get rid of Johnson and / or Ben Haim? Especially in the knowledge that Gomez was off?

TBH may have wanted to go home buy he would have been ideal alongside Bauer.

Cawley saying there is more on the Bulot situation in the SLP today. They dont sell it here in Surrey so be good to hear from anyone that does read the article.
  • Palace sign Cabaye. Must admit, some jealousy there. That's a hell of a signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobcafc7 said:

Looking at that we are probably in the same position, maybe stronger attacking wise but weaker defensively.
    Stronger on the wing with JBG and most likely Bulot , stronger keeper, stronger midfield with players a year older plus Diarra and Ba and def stronger with watt and the Dane over Church but weaker at the back.... At the moment .
  • Bikey deteriorated to such an alarming extent last season we even played Roger J despite his tendency to produce match turning errors. It looks as if Luzon can't influence his play, so I would rather have a youngster in, or a player such as Diarra covering that position. There is no truth in the non existent rumour that Moussa is being reconfigured to play there!
    Maybe we will abandon finesse in defence anyway, and continually hoof it up to Magicock.
  • So a quick recap on where I think we still need to buy (ignoring any potential sales) - CB, RB, CM (creative) and 2 x wingers.

That's minimum really to give us a squad capable of competing for playoffs, and requires all 5 to be good quality. Would also require youth to play during the season at CB and upfront, more if injuries hit (ie GK).

Doable?
  • Could the Bulot holdup be precisely a consequence of the sale of Standard ?

• edited July 2015
    Addicted said:

So a quick recap on where I think we still need to buy (ignoring any potential sales) - CB, RB, CM (creative) and 2 x wingers.

That's minimum really to give us a squad capable of competing for playoffs, and requires all 5 to be good quality. Would also require youth to play during the season at CB and upfront, more if injuries hit (ie GK).

Doable?

I'd agree with that but I don't think the RB has to be a high quality will be back up to Solly and one of the wingers will be back up to JBG and I think we need two CB's although Iv heard good things about Obileye.
  • I agree that 25 is too big a squad, as long as you don't have a load of injury prone players... Errr... Hendo...Solly...Wiggins...Diarra... Jackson... Bulot... Watt... Igor... Ba... I see quite a few potential injuries from that lot alone.

Keep me all fit and we will be fine but history is not on our side.
  • Bulot has retweeted an article from L'Equipe saying Reims are after him. I honestly think he searches his name and just retweets any old shite.

Hmm bit of a unique approach there... Wonder if he's mates with Delort
  • Could the Bulot holdup be precisely a consequence of the sale of Standard ?

That, and there are others who have suddenly become interested in him. It might come down to size of fee. SL are now just another club trying to maximise their assets.
  • Sponsored links:

• OS confirmed Bulot is training with the club while a deal is being negotiated with Standard Liege. Article itself didn't open and has now been removed.

Headline still showing on NewsNow

http://mobile.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Championship/Charlton+Athletic#news
  • Exclusive: Charlton strike duo told they can leave
    Friday, 10 July 2015

By Richard Cawley
    REZA Ghoochannejhad and Piotr Parzyszek are both cleared to leave Charlton.

The South London Press understands that the duo are not in head coach Guy Luzon's first-team plans.

See today's South London Press for all the latest Charlton transfer news.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=39493
  • Its all very strange. As others have said, why not do the deal before Roland sold the club. I also cant understand why we didnt get a couple of their players (say a CB and CM of a Buyens standard) to bolster the squad as a bit of a free win.
  • If Bulot wasn't close to signing I can't see why he'd be training with us
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!