Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spanners v Charlton - Post match fury

Comments

• Rob said:

Sounds like they deserved it. Move on. I've felt worse after defeats. Onto next season now. This one will just fizzle out.

WHAT?????????

Well okay, the time we lost there to a last minute goal once before...
  • We were on the back foot long before Sollys dismissal. All the way through our passing was off, we never held the ball at all, which probably added to the fatigue of playing with ten men. TBH playing Millwall these days is not like when you faced the ferocity of the Hurlocks and the Brileys, there was hardly a bad tackle all day, but we still seemed to get pushed off the ball too easily. Good finish from Diarra, not much else to cheer bar an excellent performance by Henderson.

As I texted to a Wycombe fan who had an equally lousy day, F*** football......!
  • We were on the back foot long before Sollys dismissal. All the way through our passing was off, we never held the ball at all, which probably added to the fatigue of playing with ten men. TBH playing Millwall these days is not like when you faced the ferocity of the Hurlocks and the Brileys, there was hardly a bad tackle all day, but we still seemed to get pushed off the ball too easily. Good finish from Diarra, not much else to cheer bar an excellent performance by Henderson.

As I texted to a Wycombe fan who had an equally lousy day, F*** football......!

This is such good point. Why oh why oh why have we not been able to go into these games in the right frame of mind when they obviously are? Their team is just as much a journeyman team as ours - well more so now, given the number of academy lads we are playing. I'm not going to blame the current regime because Chris Powell was also psyched out by Jackett in that miserable home defeat last year. What the hell is it?
  • Charlton were crap. Millwall celebrated like they won the world cup. Loving the goal music they play. What a dog shit club.

We celebrated like we had won the world cup and the euro millions after the penalty and our goal. I was surrounded by 18 to 24 years olds and in block 21 they were giving it large to the Millwall so let's not get all sensitive when we get it back.

The 2 weeks Harris had to work on the training pitch gave them a game plan,
    and even before the sending off they had created a couple of good chances.

Was hoping it might be like Wigan when the early pressure fizzles out,
    but the sending off which look clear cut from where i was, scrapped any plan to out pass them.
    The worse decision from the ref was not sending the CB off for a second Yellow, bottled it by not giving the free kick. (to score the winner just rubs salt in the wounds)
    The Irony is we would have had more chance of a draw under Powell and Peeters but i would rather have Luzon as coach even if yesterday was not his finest hour.

We needed Tony to hold the ball up in the final ten minutes so should of stayed on.
    Igor seem like the right choice at the time but the poor effort from church from a good cross from the left at 1-1 was the game changer(not the cross from right which was always too high).

The only defense for the team is we played for 72 minutes with 10 men as the game had a extra 8 mins.

Having missed the snow game at the old den my misery and depression go's on.
    (Like most of you)

As we were waiting to get away, i was the guy saying gypsy's curse and it the hope that's killing me.
    I know it's not life or death, but to me since 5PM on Bad Friday it's seems more important than that.

• Yes we was robbed because of the sending off, yes we lost, yes they took the piss at the final whistle.
    But I have not celebrated a goal like Diarras for many a year, that and the pen save by the MOM will be my memory's of the game.
    Other than the result I had a great day out.
    I'll suffer the loss as long as they go down.
  • Many have said before that this is Millwall's cup-final game, but i actually think it means a lot more to us than them. It is them that have won and performed better over the years, so they probably feel less stressed and under pressure. We really need to let this one go as the disappointment is unhealthy. I'm 43 and for as long as i can remember (since i was 6), this game has been the season defining result. Do Millwall really care as much as us about this one? They say not, ok they went into overdrive when the winner went in, but that would have been their reaction whoever they were playing after a 5 month home drought. If the opponent wasn't Millwall i doubt many on here would have said or felt anything near as bad as they do. Our team didn't bottle it, if anything their passion (Solly's) was matching our own hence their sense of pressure.

I just counted and we have 18 Millwall related threads on our forum's first page.

Our expectation and desire to win this derby game is akin to watching England play Germany in a tournament. Before the game everyone gives it large about England's Premiership stars being the best in the world and Germany turn up with a youth team and smash us up.

After today i am reminded that expectations are as always 'pre-planned disappointments'. Do i want to see Millwall's demise, absolutely, but probably more so that i don't have to endure this.
  • Well.....17 hours later and it still "hurts":

Plus points,
    Well taken goal,
    Good goalkeeping ,
    Met Keith Peacock after the game.

Minus points,
    Losing, again,
    Spanners in the pubs and clubs of Hither Green last night,
    Smoke bombs and bottle throwing, probably means even less tickets next time,
    Got the sniffles today, (Bloody Berm-on-sea weather).

Clubs in Hither Green, blimey!
  • The ref was poor, but got the Solly red/penalty right - and I said so at the time at the game, looked a definite handball. We were poor with 11 men, never had a chance with 10, not really sure what else Luzon could do - Watt came off before they scored and got fired up, chances of them getting dirty/desperate and sticking in some truly vicious challenges (as No 5 already had) may have been on his mind.

The sad thing is even as all around me were wondering why it was they seemed much more fired up and fighting spirited than our team, not one of us were actually all that surprised... merely disappointed at a typical Charlton performance at the Den.
  • thenewbie said:

The ref was poor, but got the Solly red/penalty right - and I said so at the time at the game, looked a definite handball. We were poor with 11 men, never had a chance with 10, not really sure what else Luzon could do - Watt came off before they scored and got fired up, chances of them getting dirty/desperate and sticking in some truly vicious challenges (as No 5 already had) may have been on his mind.

The sad thing is even as all around me were wondering why it was they seemed much more fired up and fighting spirited than our team, not one of us were actually all that surprised... merely disappointed at a typical Charlton performance at the Den.

but he didn't get it right!
  • WSS said:

Fox who setup the goal yeah?

Here's there to defend !!! Just cos he set a goal up doesn't make him better defensively.
    Both their goals came from our right hand side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bumpy ride.

I have nothing else to add.
  • No I haven't, in real time definitely looked a red and a handball to me. Ref was shite tho.
  • colin1961 said:

thenewbie said:

The ref was poor, but got the Solly red/penalty right - and I said so at the time at the game, looked a definite handball. We were poor with 11 men, never had a chance with 10, not really sure what else Luzon could do - Watt came off before they scored and got fired up, chances of them getting dirty/desperate and sticking in some truly vicious challenges (as No 5 already had) may have been on his mind.

Have you not seen reply clearly hits him in the face ......
    You keep saying this. Give us the link to the video you've seen, then. According to Peter Finch at half time, the Charlton analyst who presumably has access to the best available video said it was a stonewall pen.
  • Yes but everything that happens post Powell is okay and positive in Colin's world. I was not at the game but I have seen it on TV and I have frozen it and looked again and it is a definite penalty. We do seem cursed every time we play Millwall, I really do not understand it.
  • edited April 2015
    I think it hit him on the chin. Can't see it bouncing back so strongly if it hit his hand, and Chris was incensed at penalty award. But crucially the ref didn't have a proper veiw so the decision was a guess.
  • He was always going to see red with his hands held up like he was mimicking Henderson!
  • "Yeah but let's give Church another one year deal as Luzon will get the best out of him and he runs around etc etc"

Load of bollocks. Ship him off the moment the season is over. Hopeless. Disgrace to the shirt.
  • vffvff
    edited April 2015
    From the highlights, the cross from Bulot was too high for Church to reach. The problem was with the substitution that took Watt off leaving Church as the main outlet. Charlton had no outlet and sat back too deep. Both Millwall games came from that. Church may be OK alongside Watt but is no good as the out and out striker. I don't know whether Watt was injured, or signalled to be subbed but the substitution of Watt for Church made by Luzon did not work and contributed to the game being lost.
  • Greenie said:

Yes we was robbed because of the sending off, yes we lost, yes they took the piss at the final whistle.
    But I have not celebrated a goal like Diarras for many a year, that and the pen save by the MOM will be my memory's of the game.
    Other than the result I had a great day out.
    I'll suffer the loss as long as they go down.

This.
  • vffvff
    edited April 2015
    Solly raised his arms and with a dire referee such as Mick Russell and his record against Charlton it was always going to be red. Whether it hit or not or was an automatic reaction it was a mistake from Solly. The not sending off of the Millwall player for holding back Vetekele was totally inconsistent and unforgiveable.

Charlton did not play well but the referee had a material effect on the game that tipped things Millwall's way. Charlton have had lots of poor first halves and better second halves. The referee changed the whole dynamic of the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015
    In the ground I thought it was a penalty .Having seen the video I do not think it was . He was still stupid to raise his hands in the way he did and I can see why Russell sent him off .Solly was bleeding in the face caused by the impact of the ball . Therefore I do not believe the ball hit his hand .

As others have said how Hooiveld got away with the challenge on Watt was a defining moment .Russell knew that had he given a free kick he would have to also issue a red card because like Solly he was already on a yellow . He bottled it in my view . It is a shame we didn't have 11 against 11 because Hooiveld struggled against pace and Nelson looked nervous.

I have a Spanner mate who always talks up the paranoia about referees .He claims that they always go against Millwall ,he always goes on about the 4-4 draw and Abdou's sending off that day . I guess yesterday balanced that out as these things normally do .

Will the result make a difference ? I don't think so .The Spanners have a difficult run in and despite their current bad run I think Rotherham have enough about them to survive . Fulham need to have a kamikaze run to go down . If the Millers beat Brighton Monday I think that might be conclusive.

• vff said:

?.. with odd things like when Vetekele clashed heads with the Millwall player (begininning of second half), Russell doesn't do a 50/50 drop ball but gives the ball to Millwall alongside the sending off inconsistency

That was ridiculous, Watt was not amused
  • When i was the manager in youth football the opposition defender put his hands up to protect his face like Solly and the hard shot hit his fingers before smashing into the lad's face and being cleared off the line. Because of the nose bleed the delay went on for ages and i was sorry for the lad but said to ref and other manager it's got to be a sending off.
    The Ref said with the help of the other manager who was in his ear for 5 minutes while trying to sort out the nose bleed that the hand ball didn't stop the goal but his face did.
    So Ref gave Penalty (which we scored) But didn't send off the player, he let the sub come on in his place. i wish he had the whistle yesterday !

The main difference was we went on to win so gave the Ref an average mark.

In the big bad world of pro football our luck this season on escaping penalties(a couple of TBH's i can remember) was always going to go at Millwall.

• When Solly plays 3 games in a week (For you CL pedants i know it's 9 days and he only played 26 minutes on bad Friday) he ends up with a problem. Remember didn't get through the warm up on the last home game after playing on the beach at Blackpool.
    Diarra can play CB, Gomez RB and Buyens mid field.
    Solly can get his mind together and play the massive on Saturday.
    We Know Chris put his hands up to protect his face, so what evidence have we got that it didn't hit his fingers on the way through to his boat race ?

• Diarra can play CB, Gomez RB and Buyens mid field.

Buyens is out for two games so will not be available for Tuesday.
  • The joke that the football league show is, didn't reply handball in slow mo. I viewed several times in freeze frame and see ball hit hand or face?

• The classic Millwall match-day (home or away), the predictable outcome a self-fulfilling prophecy, the inevitable bitter-sweet disappointment borne largely philosophically (purely genetic, built in to an Addick's DNA) ....

The classic South London journey - avoiding London Bridge a 177 from round the corner in Woolwich to Queens Road and then one stop to South Bermondsey, a station simultaneously in the middle of everywhere and the middle of nowhere - a brief odessey touching seven postcodes (count 'em : SE18, SE7, SE10, SE8, SE14, SE15 and SE16) ending in these elsewhere gentrified days in an industrial wasteland, a tangled railway-arch paradise home to foxes, ghouls and black-and-white film makers ....

The classic upbeat Millwall performance, this time battling in a desperate relegation fight (providentially meeting local rivals more comfortably placed), and playing for a motivational manager already a club legend and nothing to lose but pride ....

The classic downbeat Charlton performance, second-best from the get-go, weakened beforehand by Buyens' deck of yellow cards ....

The classic abject officials - not a kindly decision in 98 minutes ....

The classic match-turning blunder - not the Solly affair but the incomprehensible failure to even up the numbers when IV was brought down by the eventual match-winner, who should been in his suit by then ....

The classic raising of hope - firstly the penno save (This MUST be our day!!) and the short-lived lead (oh my, what an epic celebration to end 6+ goal-less games against the Miiii ....

The classic late, late deflation, the cruellest of timing - remember the 4-4, remember GT's last-minute heart-breaker ? ....

The classic post-match lock-in and then the wait to enter the station, by then, of course, in the rain ....

So, yeah, really a classic, but not one to cherish in the memory if you don't mind ....

Think you about nailed it with this GHF