Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trust Calls Public Meeting of Fans - Woolwich Grand Theatre – Wed 18th Feb 7.30pm

Comments

• Pleased and a little surprised that those speaking against 'action' where not shouted down and even applauded. It sounds as if it was mostly the older supporters there, which may have been a factor.

What's peoples views/guess on why there were so few younger supporters there?

how does it being older supporters being there meant those with opposing views were not shouted down. It was the older fans shouting down others at the VIP meeting
  • Pleased and a little surprised that those speaking against 'action' where not shouted down and even applauded. It sounds as if it was mostly the older supporters there, which may have been a factor.

Perhaps they don't give a shit and just want to see a game of football every now and then, get on the beer and have a laugh ?

Perhaps they don't frequent sites like this so just get on with it ?

Perhaps they had better things to do tonight ?
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Pleased and a little surprised that those speaking against 'action' where not shouted down and even applauded. It sounds as if it was mostly the older supporters there, which may have been a factor.

how does it being older supporters being there meant those with opposing views were not shouted down. It was the older fans shouting down others at the VIP meeting
    Just trying to marry up the reported calm/good natured debate with the hysterical and often less than friendly rhetoric found on Charlton life.
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Pleased and a little surprised that those speaking against 'action' where not shouted down and even applauded. It sounds as if it was mostly the older supporters there, which may have been a factor.

Just trying to marry up the reported calm/good natured debate with the hysterical and often less than friendly rhetoric found on Charlton life.
    The age thing bothers me too. But there are some facts that help to explain:

1. it was recently mentioned that the average age of an East Stand ST holder is 56

2. It is well documented that the average age of fans in the FAPL is much higher than 20 years ago, for the simple reason that it is so bloody expensive. It must be true in this division too.

But your last point is simple to explain. It's so bloody easy to sit at a keyboard and snipe. Not so easy to get yourself down there and have the bottle to stand up and repeat what you so casually write. And by "you", I don't mean you but you don't have to look far up this thread to see examples.
  • stonemuse said:

Seems there is an agenda here ...the only speaker from the floor who was questioned by the chair has been the one who is pro-network. When stating that he is happy to see how matters go over next few weeks, he was met by a shout of 'rubbish' from the floor.

That's not good we need UNITY and everyone deserves their opinion.....don't weaken an argument by shouting down those that don't agree
    To be fair I was anticipating that there would be a lot of shouting down of those that were not anti Duchatalet, but there was only the one "rubbish" shout all evening. All views were listened to with respect even when not agreed to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Must have bumped into or introduced for the first time a good 100+ people who post on here tonight, and it was great seeing again, or meeting you all for the first time.

There were a couple of speakers on the floor I don't know who mentioned CL, both pro and against RD and co, thought you both spoke excellently.
  • Ps. And thanks to my taxi driver back to civilisation :-)
  • PPS. The Equitable is a decent pub. When they put a flooring down it will be even better
  • JohnnyH2 said:

The age thing bothers me too. But there are some facts that help to explain:

1. it was recently mentioned that the average age of an East Stand ST holder is 56

2. It is well documented that the average age of fans in the FAPL is much higher than 20 years ago, for the simple reason that it is so bloody expensive. It must be true in this division too.

But your last point is simple to explain. It's so bloody easy to sit at a keyboard and snipe. Not so easy to get yourself down there and have the bottle to stand up and repeat what you so casually write. And by "you", I don't mean you but you don't have to look far up this thread to see examples.
    That average age stat is a bit scary!

I have heard some pretty nasty verbals directed at the owner from my seat at the Valley, accompanied by much tsking from surrounding supports. I was anticipating similar at the meeting or worse (glad I was wrong).
  • Ps. And thanks to my taxi driver back to civilisation :-)

Was meant to be back to your wife and babes or had you left them in the beehive?
  • If we go back deffo need bovril and blankets..
  • Pleased i went, no masterplan tonight, but good to hear the different views.
    The pro Roland folk missed a trick tonight, you could have got your views across and you would have been applauded, mainly for having the bottle to speak.
    still don't worry you can go back to being keyboard warriors.

Some CL love to have a pop at Airman, you would have been disappointed tonight
    he didn't say we should storm his two chalets but keep on trying to put our points across for now.

The 71 year old chap who said we should by pass Katrien to get to Roland, by email or text or paper plane made a good case.

Covered end said we would have more chance with Murray than Katrien to get our message across.

Steve Dixon was very ani the network of clubs, and another couple of guys said they would rather us be in League 2 as long as we had a charlton fan/fans in charge. ? that would mean i would have to turn up and want us to lose,

sorry guys that not in my DNA to do that. But i do understand the sentiment.
  • The age profile of the meeting is simple to explain. The tactic of a public meeting in a cold theatre goes back centuries and has little congruence with this century and the tech generation.
    The East Stand may be well over 50 but the North Upper certainly isn't and nor are the away support. Twitter, Facebook, apps and websites are where you can gather thousands of hits in a day.
    Someone, or a group of people need to re-engineer the campaign of the Valley Party to apply to today's circumstances and today's technology. One guy there tonight had political campaigning experience on both sides of the Atlantic - i trust n
    Fortunately @razil myself @SE9 ADDICK @ken from bexley and a few others have already established a platform to build this from. You have thousands of fan contacts and thousands in the bank together with several well developed tactics.
    Add this site, and all of the other with a common interest and that's quite a few thousand fans...Perhaps 10,000+?
  • Tommy said:

Can't help feeling that, although, Airman was a major player in the Back to the Valley campaign, both he and Steve Dixon, being ex employees of the club, and having fallen out with the previous owners, have an axe to grind. I therefore wonder if they should be taking a lead on behalf of supporters when relationships are already strained. Are they representing Trust members.

Here you find the Trust board. Neither Rick nor Steve are there. Some of us know them well and count them as friends. But there are two Board members aged under 30, and two females. And vacant chairs....
    Ok so, honestly, PA, did you put that link on here so that we would see that fantastic photo of you?

Do you put that on I'll your marketing merchandise?

;-)
  • Thats his Zoolander period..
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015

• As far as the Owner is concerned, clearly we're doing something wrong. Perhaps someone more technically proficient than me could kindly look at the CZ Jena website and post the following (preferably in English !!) - one item is a letter from the coach sent yesterday to every club member encouraging attendance at Saturday's game (the first after the winter break) with a 50% ticket price reduction on presentation of said letter, and a second very interesting item, also from yesterday, concerns the formal signing up of an Advisory Council with various fan bodies and the Club, to act as a bridge between all parties. This appears to be a serious and binding commitment, and the agreement runs until the end of next year. If it's good enough for FCC, why not us as well?
  • StevieK said:

Addickted said:

If the next step that occurs is that - say - The Trust is mandated to start negotiating season ticket blockades with other network clubs to 'force RD to the negotiating table', then the fans will, essentially, be at war with the management and it will set the club back for many years.

Or may liberate it from a web of woe.
  • As I've said before, I am curious as to what can actually happen. Imagine I am furious at the network and went along, what can we collectively bring about? The club is privately owned, they have made it clear in the past that they won't communicate properly?

I don't want to criticise those that went at all, I am just interested in how things like this can move things forward, in fact if anything I'm actually worried that a meeting of 400 supporters can't actually move anything forward without proper dialogue... Unfortunately it seems more like a group therapy session unless there's anything that can actually be done, which without network willing engagement, is nothing?
  • Excellent stuff. Have enjoyed following and reading this. I am trying to make more links with the Alcorcón fanbase so will write about this on their forum. They have similar concerns but with much smaller numbers of fans their frustrations are far less visible. A connection with our fanbase and the Trust could be a good way for them to manifest their feelings about RD and the network.
  • edited February 2015
    WSS said:

Steve Dixon - “I look around and wonder where the next generation of Charlton fans will come from” #CAFC @CAStrust

have a look in the lib on a saturday

• WSS - nice article. The problem we have is being valued by the owner. If he won't treat us as relevant stakeholders and communicate with us (which I feel he is simply never going to do) then 'revolution' (in whatever effective form that might take) will be the only option. I like the idea of targeting the club sponsors based on the impact that had on the Ched Evans situation. I'm not sure buying less burgers at the ground, singing protest songs at set times during the match or cheeky banners are going to scratch the surface with the owner.