Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trust Calls Public Meeting of Fans - Woolwich Grand Theatre – Wed 18th Feb 7.30pm

Comments

• 400 attendees
  • stonemuse said:

400 attendees

good turnout, well done all
  • Joshuk87 said:

I went. More out of interest of what was being said. I am personally think at the moment bar our performance on the pitch things are ok. We have a new pitch. Some new signings whilst they are from the network, vetokele has performed and watt looks very lively.

I appreciate that a lot of people fought to et Charlton back to the valley and feel worried with the lack of communication however as one lad said we wouldn't be having this conversation if we were 4/5th in league.

Whilst this is a football club it is also a business. No person can afford to lose £5mil a year. So costs must be cut and this will inadvertivly upset people.

However.

We are not bankrupt. We are getting new players and at the begging of this season we were playing top class football.

A boycott/protest will only harm the club and have a negative effect. The best we can do is go week in week out and support the team. Other than that please feel free to donate towards the £5million loss until we get to the premiership and with that loss add another £10 mill to buy the leagues best players. Then hope that we don't get caught with financial fair play.

Vetokele isn't from the network (but say it quietly)
  • NWCorner said:

Joshuk87 said:

I went. More out of interest of what was being said. I am personally think at the moment bar our performance on the pitch things are ok. We have a new pitch. Some new signings whilst they are from the network, vetokele has performed and watt looks very lively.

I appreciate that a lot of people fought to et Charlton back to the valley and feel worried with the lack of communication however as one lad said we wouldn't be having this conversation if we were 4/5th in league.

Whilst this is a football club it is also a business. No person can afford to lose £5mil a year. So costs must be cut and this will inadvertivly upset people.

However.

We are not bankrupt. We are getting new players and at the begging of this season we were playing top class football.

A boycott/protest will only harm the club and have a negative effect. The best we can do is go week in week out and support the team. Other than that please feel free to donate towards the £5million loss until we get to the premiership and with that loss add another £10 mill to buy the leagues best players. Then hope that we don't get caught with financial fair play.

Good post
    Except we are not 4/5th in the table. And 'top class' football it never has been- those early wins were based on desperate defending and we got lucky. You may be happy with 3rd rate @Joshuk87 but plenty are not, hence the disquiet and need to know what RD is playing at.
    We started the season well and in my opinion, could've kept up the play-off push (we were in the top 6 after 11 games) if people hadn't been pissing about and tinkering behind the scenes.
  • NWCorner said:

Joshuk87 said:

However.

Good post
    Except we are not 4/5th in the table. And 'top class' football it never has been- those early wins were based on desperate defending and we got lucky. You may be happy with 3rd rate @Joshuk87 but plenty are not, hence the disquiet and need to know what RD is playing at.
    ...and the last time you saw top class football at the Valley was...?
    And it took those owners how long to achieve?
  • NWCorner said:

Joshuk87 said:

However.

Good post
    I'm not happy with 3rd rate football. But I do think that the network is the main issue in this. We have a young inexperienced ceo who let face it has probably caused a lot of the discontent.

Listening tonight at the event I couldn't tell what people wanted.

I know what I want, which is a stable club that wins games and eventually gets promoted. I didnt see or hear anything tonight that gave a solution towards that.

If anyone has any ideas I'm open to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am pro RD, I was there.

I walked out when it was obvious that there was no point me being there, and people started talking about no renewing season tickets

Serious question. What was you expecting to happen tonight ?
    I went with the belief that anyone who had anything positive to say would be shouted down, despite the pronounced "aims" of the meeting. (I.E. no one was to be shouted down)

From what others have said from being there longer than I was, I was correct.

I walked out when it was obvious that there was no point me being there, and people started talking about no renewing season tickets

I went with the belief that anyone who had anything positive to say would be shouted down, despite the pronounced "aims" of the meeting. (I.E. no one was to be shouted down)

So, again, what would you have said? Say it here, no one can shout your words off the thread (although they may reply)
  • stonemuse said:

Proposals:

leverage the network, joint action with the other network clubs.

Involve Richard Murray in our proposed dialogue with owners.

More to come

What if he doesn't want to get involved?

• edited February 2015

stonemuse said:

Proposals:

More to come

He does. And he does already. But to be effective the other side also need to play their part

• stonemuse said:

Proposals:

More to come

He does. And he does already. But to be effective the other side also need to play their part

Was he there tonight?
  • stonemuse said:

Proposals:

More to come

Was he there tonight?
    Would you have expected him to, unless he had some kind of official invite? It was a meeting for fans to discuss among themselves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just got off the phone from a mate who attended tonight, sounds like it all went to plan and very constructive, great to hear.

He also confirmed nobody got shouted down, everyone treated with respect whatever their personal view currently is.

Looking forward to reading a full report on it soon.
  • stonemuse said:

Proposals:

More to come

Was he there tonight?
    Would you have expected him to, unless he had some kind of official invite? It was a meeting for fans to discuss among themselves.
    No I wouldn't. It would go completely against his employers wishes.
    As would trying to get them to engage in dialogue with supporters.

So, again, what would you have said? Say it here, no one can shout your words off the thread (although they may reply)
    I don't know about ESL, but I would have asked if there was any consideration as to trusting the current regime in the short term and working with them to develop the Club - particularly with regards the supporters base? They've been in place for just a year. How long did it take us just to get back to The Valley after Fryer left?

Has anyone actually said to KM, "OK, we're not particularly happy with the progress to date on the playing side, but for the moment, what can we as a group of supporters do to help you deliver what we all want?"

• WSS said:

Rick Everett was reminiscent of a young Eminem tonight. Magic on the mic! #cafc

Yep very powerful orator and thank you to whoever had me next up to speak!

I said networks can work - just look at Watford. But it needs vision, ambition and investment. Not discussions about programme sellers etc.
    So pro network and I was applauded.

Broad church is the only way forwards lads.
  • Addickted said:

I am pro RD, I was there.

Has anyone actually said to KM, "OK, we're not particularly happy with the progress to date on the playing side, but for the moment, what can we as a group of supporters do to help you deliver what we all want?"

Why don't you set up a group and do just that? After all, we're always hearing that the silent majority support RD, so it shouldn't be hard.
  • KM says she won't talk to,the Trust alone, so what's the point

The point is plenty of people would like to have a dialogue with the club, the general opinion is the club will not communicate with the fan base. It's not unreasonable to request a meeting to find out how the club is being run.

Maybe the Trust on behalf of the fan base should inform the club that if KM will not talk then the Trust will communicate with you and will use Social media and other ways of letting you know how the fans feel. Press, Video Technology, posters, Facebook and so on.

You don't need to consult with anyone as it would only be a waste of time if they won't listen.

Maybe this could be a starting point.

• Just back from the event. Well attended (up to 250 in attendance?) with passionate but sensible comments and suggestions. I missed my opportunity to raise my 'burning issue' which was for the leading fans rep (CAST in all likelihood) to engage with the owner in discussing his 'business plan' for Charlton. He is a very shrewd businessman who has passion for football NOR an obvious aim to get Charlton into the promised land of the Premiership and, ultimately losing his money every week. It just doesn't add up, does it?

Is there a positive, focused plan to stabilise Charlton and them push on for promotion within (say) 5 years? If so then only issue is his failure to communicate that to the fans. I am sure we would buy into something that positive as we a pretty accommodating, level headed bunch.

However, is there a more negative/sinister motive for buying us that is only about writing off losses against tax or (even worse) sending the club into a decline and selling a prime London piece of land for a profit?

If we can develop a trusting relationship with him in which we understand and share/agree a plan that brings us success and satisfaction then I think that is worth fighting for. I am very concerned that he simply is not going to budge from his stubborn position and keep us shut out but that does not mean we should not at least try hard to make this happen.

If the motives for ownership are deemed to be linked to failure and, perish the thought, the demise of CAFC then, clearly, we must do everything to liberate us from this owner.

Does that resonate with the thoughts of the rest of you?
  • Uboat said:

Addickted said:

I am pro RD, I was there.

Why don't you set up a group and do just that? After all, we're always hearing that the silent majority support RD, so it shouldn't be hard.
    Helpful comment, thanks for that.

Are you suggesting that there are no 'silent majority' within the Trust or the various Supporters Groups?

• .....meant to say 'no passion for football'! Of course