Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trust Calls Public Meeting of Fans - Woolwich Grand Theatre – Wed 18th Feb 7.30pm

Comments

• I didn't hear a single contributor shouted down at any point in the whole thing?
  • Very good numbers, welldone all involved

• One lady did shout 'rubbish' at one point to another speaker's comment but apart from that the behaviour was impeccable.
  • Addickted said:

Uboat said:

Addickted said:

I am pro RD, I was there.

I walked out when it was obvious that there was no point me being there, and people started talking about no renewing season tickets

Serious question. What was you expecting to happen tonight ?
    I went with the belief that anyone who had anything positive to say would be shouted down, despite the pronounced "aims" of the meeting. (I.E. no one was to be shouted down)

From what others have said from being there longer than I was, I was correct.
    So, again, what would you have said? Say it here, no one can shout your words off the thread (although they may reply)
    Has anyone actually said to KM, "OK, we're not particularly happy with the progress to date on the playing side, but for the moment, what can we as a group of supporters do to help you deliver what we all want?"

Why don't you set up a group and do just that? After all, we're always hearing that the silent majority support RD, so it shouldn't be hard.
    Helpful comment, thanks for that.

Are you suggesting that there are no 'silent majority' within the Trust or the various Supporters Groups?

It started off as a pisstake of the standard 'well if you think you can do better, why don't you buy the club' response, but then I thought, seriously, why don't you?

People probably joined the trust out of concern at the way the club was being run by TJ/MS or RD, so yes, I am suggesting that there isn't a silent majority in favour of RD there. Why would anyone who thought the above-named were doing a good job join the trust?
  • Left at 9.15 as I was literally shaking with cold. Horrible fridge of a venue but well attended (I'd say around 400) despite Saturdays performance probably putting off a lot of waverers. Good effort by the organisers and well chaired. I wasn't particularly whelmed by what I heard but then again I didn't expect many surprises. Struck by the fact that I was in the lowest 20% of the age profile and I'm 50! Also we are the most well mannered bunch of angry/worried people I've heard. Pretty much unanimity of concern but not convinced that there is, nor realistically can there be, a real plan of action yet (as I said, I left early). This will be a long haul methinks.
  • Addickted said:

Uboat said:

Addickted said:

I walked out when it was obvious that there was no point me being there, and people started talking about no renewing season tickets

I went with the belief that anyone who had anything positive to say would be shouted down, despite the pronounced "aims" of the meeting. (I.E. no one was to be shouted down)

So, again, what would you have said? Say it here, no one can shout your words off the thread (although they may reply)
    Has anyone actually said to KM, "OK, we're not particularly happy with the progress to date on the playing side, but for the moment, what can we as a group of supporters do to help you deliver what we all want?"

Why don't you set up a group and do just that? After all, we're always hearing that the silent majority support RD, so it shouldn't be hard.

Are you suggesting that there are no 'silent majority' within the Trust or the various Supporters Groups?

Actually Addickted, within the Trust, what you are now proposing was always a position championed by @seriously_red. If you ask your question the Club will say, "more people through the turnstiles, please. Talk to so and so about your ideas for getting them in" So the Trust, unpaid volunteers, but with various business experience to utilise, come up with ideas, and you know what happens? "So and so" starts to feel threatened by these people coming up with ideas that maybe he feels he should have come up with himself, and it all ends in tears. What kind of business, faced with dissatisfied customers, turns rounds and asks its customers to be an unpaid sales force?
  • Addickted said:

I would say that this is the key question, plus to ask KM: "If you do not want to communicate directly with The Trust, how do you want fans to communicate with you, and how can we make that communication informed and regular?"

I do think that good can come of the meeting tonight and that the club has shown a willingness to make changes - the two very obvious pieces of communication in the past couple of days show that, so now is the time to act on that is a composed, polite, and progressive fashion: take the opportunity that the meeting has created.

If the next step that occurs is that - say - The Trust is mandated to start negotiating season ticket blockades with other network clubs to 'force RD to the negotiating table', then the fans will, essentially, be at war with the management and it will set the club back for many years.
  • Just back from the event. Well attended (up to 400 iin attendance?) with passionate but sensible comments and suggestions. I missed my opportunity to raise my 'burning issue' which was for the leading fans rep (CAST in all likelihood) to engage with the owner in discussing his 'business plan' for Charlton. He is a very shrewd businessman but has no passion for football NOR an obvious aim to get Charlton into the promised land of the Premiership money tree and, ultimately losing his money every week. It just doesn't add up, does it?

Is there a positive, focused plan to stabilise Charlton and them push on for promotion within (say) 5 years? If so then only issue is his failure to communicate that to the fans. I am sure we would buy into something that positive as we a pretty accommodating, level headed bunch.

However, is there a more negative/sinister motive for buying us that is only about writing off losses against tax or (even worse) sending the club into a decline and selling a prime London piece of land for a profit?

If we can develop a trusting relationship with him in which we understand and share/agree a plan that brings us success and satisfaction then I think that is worth fighting for. I am very concerned that he simply is not going to budge from his stubborn position and keep us shut out but that does not mean we should not at least try hard to make this happen.

If the motives for ownership are deemed to be linked to failure and, perish the thought, the demise of CAFC then, clearly, we must do everything to liberate us from this owner.

Does that resonate with the thoughts of the rest of you?
  • Sponsored links:

• @Addickted - I hope you have completed the survey re the meeting on the Trust website? It is there for all views to be expressed.

• Addickted said:

Uboat said:

Addickted said:

Actually Addickted, within the Trust, what you are now proposing was always a position championed by @seriously_red. If you ask your question the Club will say, "more people through the turnstiles, please. Talk to so and so about your ideas for getting them in" So the Trust, unpaid volunteers, but with various business experience to utilise, come up with ideas, and you know what happens? "So and so" starts to feel threatened by these people coming up with ideas that maybe he feels he should have come up with himself, and it all ends in tears. What kind of business, faced with dissatisfied customers, turns rounds and asks its customers to be an unpaid sales force?
    Quite a lot of strong brands use their loyal customers as part of their sales strategy. Referrals etc. I seem to recall CAFC did it in the 90s with the various campaigns and people at the heart of it went on to become staff members.

The Trust didn't magically go from 100 to 1,000 members and from 500 to 5,000 email / twitter contacts. In the 18 months I was involved we worked with the club on surveys, distributing flyers for football for a fiver and analysing the finances in dialogue with the CFO. These days the email and voicemail won't get an answer.

Perhaps @PragueAddick hasn't got the magic lol. Or maybe the last owners wanted to engage with the Trust because they understood something about the business. I know it's not a popular strain of thought but things were clearer back in 2013.
  • Addickted said:

I don't know about ESL, but I would have asked if there was any consideration as to trusting the current regime in the short term and working with them to develop the Club - particularly with regards the supporters base? They've been in place for just a year. How long did it take us just to get back to The Valley after Fryer left?

The Trust and many other individuals have offered exactly that several times, @Addickted, and been rebuffed or ignored.

I interviewed Katrien on behalf of the Trust back in August - spent an hour with her, and felt quite positive afterwards. We chatted about issues re attendance, and I floated an idea I had re how to get occasional supporters to attend more regularly. I wrote it up as a one pager the next day and sent it to her - got an acknoweldgment, then heard nothing more. In early January, I wrote her a quick email, wishing her Happy New Year, mentioning the idea again/ offered free advice to the Club about it and sympathised that things on the pitch weren't going too well. Did not get a reply.

I was getting a bit more involved with the Trust by this point - helping with surveys, etc, and was therefore aware of the very polite and considered email approach the Trust made to request a meeting to discuss both the strategy of the Club and how they could help with supporter engagement following the Luzon appointment. The reply was curt to say the least - along the lines that she has told the Trust and the other fans about the strategy and has nothing further to add. Then last night, she made it clear that she sees the Fans' Forum as the only formal communication channel. I feel a bit sorry for her - she has a thankless task trying to second guess RD and be his eyes, ears and mouthpiece, but she does not seem able to reach out and accept genuine offers of help.

Apologies if I have been a bit blunt here, but we have not reached this situation for want of trying....

Thanks for the insight @Weegie Addick I recently signed up for the trust based on the good work they've done mobilising the meeting etc. as I couldn't be there tonight I jotted down a few of my thoughts via email in answer to the questions. Without realising how much effort the trust had already gone to in trying to open a channel of communication, I suggested (naively) we try again :blush:

Obviously this post just goes to show it seems to fall on deaf ears.

I think the problem is, as others have highlighted, KM is a mouth piece. She's probably reached her breaking point re: requests or questions about RD. Providing she doesn't offend anyone, she'll tell us what RD wants, when he wants it. It's a shame really coz it seems that she's now confusing constructive advice re: you helping get casual supporters back, with any correspondence she gets in general
  • Left at 9.15 as I was literally shaking with cold. Horrible fridge of a venue but well attended (I'd say around 400) despite Saturdays performance probably putting off a lot of waverers. Good effort by the organisers and well chaired. I wasn't particularly whelmed by what I heard but then again I didn't expect many surprises. Struck by the fact that I was in the lowest 20% of the age profile and I'm 50! Also we are the most well mannered bunch of angry/worried people I've heard. Pretty much unanimity of concern but not convinced that there is, nor realistically can there be, a real plan of action yet (as I said, I left early). This will be a long haul methinks.

Maybe the age profile is a sign that the attendees were mainly from the "Back to the Valley" era from the late 80s and early 90s?
  • There were many views expressed, all speakers were applauded and no different for those of opposite views who made their points with as much conviction as any one else.
    Anyone expecting people bawling each other out like QT was disappointed.

My guess/hope is it will result in gestures and publicity that will at least ensure RD knows he has got something wrong and hiding behind a Fans Forum as a proxy for communication will not wash. What follows will depend on whether he recognises he has a problem with many of his "product" consumers or whether he cares.

• Interesting event. On reflection I put my point across a little more forcefully than I intended. I don't think it is a waste of time to meet with Katrien/Roland if the chance arises, just that I don't think we would get further answers to what we've already been told.

Getting feedback from the mic and having to stroll around with a can of Fosters didn't help mind :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Roland: just share with us your business plan. That's all we ask.
  • It wasn't a stroll @cafctom it was a Fosters March, but I thought you spoke well and I will say hello next time I see you in the pub.
  • WSS said:

Rick Everett was reminiscent of a young Eminem tonight. Magic on the mic! #cafc

Yep very powerful orator and thank you to whoever had me next up to speak!

I said networks can work - just look at Watford. But it needs vision, ambition and investment. Not discussions about programme sellers etc.
    So pro network and I was applauded.

Broad church is the only way forwards lads.
    I had a feeling you were who you turned out to be when you, very carefully, declined to share your CL Moniker in the pub before the meeting.
  • edited February 2015

The problem for me is not what is being done as I understand costs need to be cut while investments are made in boring but necessary areas. I think we all understand that. I'm more concerned by how things are being done.

The club is being run by pig headed people who flat out won't take advice from those who care about the club the most, nor from some people who have worked in and around the club previously. Added to that, they won't open a proper dialogue with fans groups (the supporters trust being the primary example) for reasons unknown. Are they embarrassed? Scared? I have no idea what they're thinking but all we want is the best for CAFC.

The group who just care about the club can only offer an opinion, nothing more.

The group who used to work for the club will be seen as having an agenda.

If you think that's right or not that is quite likely what the owner thinks.

Imagine- "Excuse me! I used to work for the company you bought ! Can I offer you some advice ?"

"No fuck off"
  • Addickted said:

I don't know about ESL, but I would have asked if there was any consideration as to trusting the current regime in the short term and working with them to develop the Club - particularly with regards the supporters base? They've been in place for just a year. How long did it take us just to get back to The Valley after Fryer left?

The Trust and many other individuals have offered exactly that several times, @Addickted, and been rebuffed or ignored.

I interviewed Katrien on behalf of the Trust back in August - spent an hour with her, and felt quite positive afterwards. We chatted about issues re attendance, and I floated an idea I had re how to get occasional supporters to attend more regularly. I wrote it up as a one pager the next day and sent it to her - got an acknoweldgment, then heard nothing more. In early January, I wrote her a quick email, wishing her Happy New Year, mentioning the idea again/ offered free advice to the Club about it and sympathised that things on the pitch weren't going too well. Did not get a reply.

I was getting a bit more involved with the Trust by this point - helping with surveys, etc, and was therefore aware of the very polite and considered email approach the Trust made to request a meeting to discuss both the strategy of the Club and how they could help with supporter engagement following the Luzon appointment. The reply was curt to say the least - along the lines that she has told the Trust and the other fans about the strategy and has nothing further to add. Then last night, she made it clear that she sees the Fans' Forum as the only formal communication channel. I feel a bit sorry for her - she has a thankless task trying to second guess RD and be his eyes, ears and mouthpiece, but she does not seem able to reach out and accept genuine offers of help.

Apologies if I have been a bit blunt here, but we have not reached this situation for want of trying....

Thanks for the answer H. Not taken your response as blunt at all - indeed most of the responses I've had from posters like yourself, Airman and Prague have been genuinely informative.

I do realise fans concerns as I believe most of this so called 'silent majority' do, as we have our own fears. It's just that it appears to be early days in the RD ownership model and they should at least be given a fair crack of the whip before they are condemned.

I hadn't realised that previous approaches had been rebuffed, or staff felt uncomfortable at dealing with experienced amateurs. That shouldn't mean giving up. Far from it perhaps persistence is the way forward. Is there a way of delivering this stance through the FF? After all, we are all after the same outcomes.

• edited February 2015
    Tommy said:

Can't help feeling that, although, Airman was a major player in the Back to the Valley campaign, both he and Steve Dixon, being ex employees of the club, and having fallen out with the previous owners, have an axe to grind. I therefore wonder if they should be taking a lead on behalf of supporters when relationships are already strained. Are they representing Trust members.

Here you find the Trust board. Neither Rick nor Steve are there. Some of us know them well and count them as friends. But there are two Board members aged under 30, and two females. And vacant chairs....
  • Tommy said:

Can't help feeling that, although, Airman was a major player in the Back to the Valley campaign, both he and Steve Dixon, being ex employees of the club, and having fallen out with the previous owners, have an axe to grind. I therefore wonder if they should be taking a lead on behalf of supporters when relationships are already strained. Are they representing Trust members.

Really ?
  • Pleased and a little surprised that those speaking against 'action' where not shouted down and even applauded. It sounds as if it was mostly the older supporters there, which may have been a factor.

What's peoples views/guess on why there were so few younger supporters there?