Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trust Calls Public Meeting of Fans - Woolwich Grand Theatre – Wed 18th Feb 7.30pm

Comments

• An impassioned speech by Rick, BUT...

However others may feel, (and I am not going down the "disgruntled employee" route) he needs to take a step back.

There is an animosity there (not necessarily from his viewpoint) that will drive a wedge between the club and the fans if he remains so vociferous.

Who else will step up if he doesn't?

What happens if no one steps up?

This isn't aimed, specifically, at you ESL but I'm getting a bit fed up with people that can't be bothered to do anything to help but feel justified in deciding who isn't allowed to!

I was there last night but I have neither the time nor the inclination to challenge the club, or those running it. I'm just grateful for those that will do so, on my behalf.
    Very well put.
  • edited February 2015
    If Duchatelet sacked Meire, or gave her another job elsewhere and said something along the lines of i want what is best for the fans and the club and want to listen to them and the communication between my team and them has broken down and i will fix it. A message like that, fair to Meire or not would put things on a new footing. I do think she is to blame for a lot of this and this is down to inexperience as much as anything else. The job is probably a bit too early for her - strange country, strange league, strange fans etc...
  • razil said:

the club told us they had nothing to add, then immediately went out when we organised this meeting and did a PR stunt with a 15 year old lad.

The point of the meeting was as has been stated, earlier on. I understand people being realistic, but why not go to the meeting rather than slating it?

The very least of it is to show that there are a lot of genuinely concerned fans who see that that something is going badly wrong including the quite public falling away of some of our long term supporters. Personally I think that is reason enough. People last night braved the cold to go to a public meeting, with no players, no club reps, and packed out a hall.

There weren't 25 or a hundred there were over 400 and I think thats a big deal personally. It was a positive act by people who want to do something rather than just bitch about it on message boards. I take it pretty seriously as it hasn't happened for nearly a generation at this club.

What comes next is important I agree, we'll see what happens over coming weeks, I think reasonably last night achieved all it was going to, not an easy thing to do in itself. How much further it goes will depend how deep the feeling runs among fans.

To answer Marks point from Twitter, 'we' did have public meetings during the TJ era, we formed a supporters' trust if you recall, and we did it through a lot of hard work, from the first 100 members to now 1100 who give up their fivers for very few benefits if any, other than supporting the Trust. We built it by standing in the rain talking to real fans, and giving out TNT.

Great post.
  • razil said:

the club told us they had nothing to add, then immediately went out when we organised this meeting and did a PR stunt with a 15 year old lad.

The point of the meeting was as has been stated, earlier on. I understand people being realistic, but why not go to the meeting rather than slating it?

The very least of it is to show that there are a lot of genuinely concerned fans who see that that something is going badly wrong including the quite public falling away of some of our long term supporters. Personally I think that is reason enough. People last night braved the cold to go to a public meeting, with no players, no club reps, and packed out a hall.

There weren't 25 or a hundred there were over 400 and I think thats a big deal personally. It was a positive act by people who want to do something rather than just bitch about it on message boards. I take it pretty seriously as it hasn't happened for nearly a generation at this club.

What comes next is important I agree, we'll see what happens over coming weeks, I think reasonably last night achieved all it was going to, not an easy thing to do in itself. How much further it goes will depend how deep the feeling runs among fans.

To answer Marks point from Twitter, 'we' did have public meetings during the TJ era, we formed a supporters' trust if you recall, and we did it through a lot of hard work, from the first 100 members to now 1100 who give up their fivers for very few benefits if any, other than supporting the Trust. We built it by standing in the rain talking to real fans, and giving out TNT.

Razil in defensive response shocker......

Who's slating the meeting? I've said all along "good luck to you, but I don't think you'll achieve anything"

I'm still struggling. You got 400 people in a room. Some of them expressed concerns about the ownership, 100s of people have been doing the same thing on the internet for months. Why is this any different?

• razil said:

"Tonight was exactly what I expected. Big turnout of numbers (and that should not be played down in any way) of disenchanted people, but no singular approach and reason of why they are disenchanted and what should collectively be done about it."

So bar getting numbers together, what was the point?

perhaps you should have come along?
    Why not answer the question?

Anyway, pleased that it seems it didn't get hi-jacked by a more militant sect.

But as Falconwood_1 has said Having read this thread I still don't get the point.

The club have already told you where the lines of communication are, but seemingly that isn't good enough so you are going to continue (maybe, because it doesn't appear to be confirmed anywhere) to bang your heads against a Roland sized brickwall. Sorry, but no amount of "tub thumping" is going to bring him to the table.

So I ask the same question, what was the point?
    "The purpose of the meeting is to give all Charlton Athletic supporters an opportunity to air and discuss their views of the current situation of the club"

That's what we said before the meeting and the views from the people that are there seems to be that we pretty much managed that.

We tried our best to make people who couldn't attend feel included by being able to email in their views, some of which we read out. We also used Twitter as well to make those who weren't able to attend feel included.
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

Having read through most of the posts on here and having watched the VIP vid. I hate to burst your bubble but these meetings will not change a thing.

Yes historically fans have made a difference to our club, but that was then, this is now.
    All the posturing, all the impassioned speeches, all the militant 'demands' to RD will be ignored, in a 'go f*ck yourself' attitude cos its his club. Its his money, its up to him to make a success of it, because he stands to lose far more than all of us put together.
    I will be surprised if RD will speak to any fans rep. Ever. Thats what KM is CEO for.

OK, people are saying they will not renew their ST's (at the moment) but should we climb the table then they will.

Forget meetings like this, forget VIP meetings, forget 15 year old kids asking a few staged Q's.
    The only way to get our collective point across (whatever it is), is to have 4 or 5 fans to meet KM and open a dialogue of transparent (where possible) communication with the club.
    Or how about a fans supporter on the board, just a thought!

Finally if results swing back round in our favour, it will all be forgotten.

I actually totally agree with your final point Greenie, but its how we get there.

I don't agree about results, but realistically we aint gonna win the league any time soon, and certainly not with the very limited ambitions our super rich owners seems to have.

I think we have to be patient, a meeting like this was a very early step, and if only 20 had turned up, we would know there were very few who shared the concern.
  • razil said:

"Tonight was exactly what I expected. Big turnout of numbers (and that should not be played down in any way) of disenchanted people, but no singular approach and reason of why they are disenchanted and what should collectively be done about it."

So bar getting numbers together, what was the point?

perhaps you should have come along?
    I was ready when Jiminez was in charge.

• If all 400 donated £1 million, you could buy the club - more of a realistic idea than you trying to talk to Roland directly I think
  • razil said:

Greenie said:

Having read through most of the posts on here and having watched the VIP vid. I hate to burst your bubble but these meetings will not change a thing.

Yes historically fans have made a difference to our club, but that was then, this is now.
    All the posturing, all the impassioned speeches, all the militant 'demands' to RD will be ignored, in a 'go f*ck yourself' attitude cos its his club. Its his money, its up to him to make a success of it, because he stands to lose far more than all of us put together.
    I will be surprised if RD will speak to any fans rep. Ever. Thats what KM is CEO for.

OK, people are saying they will not renew their ST's (at the moment) but should we climb the table then they will.

Forget meetings like this, forget VIP meetings, forget 15 year old kids asking a few staged Q's.
    The only way to get our collective point across (whatever it is), is to have 4 or 5 fans to meet KM and open a dialogue of transparent (where possible) communication with the club.
    Or how about a fans supporter on the board, just a thought!

Finally if results swing back round in our favour, it will all be forgotten.

I actually totally agree with your final point Greenie, but its how we get there.

I don't agree about results, but realistically we aint gonna win the league any time soon, and certainly not with the very limited ambitions our super rich owners seems to have.

I think we have to be patient, a meeting like this was a very early step, and if only 20 had turned up, we would know there were very few who shared the concern.
    Razil, for clarification, I think both meetings were/are a good idea, I just think that with the currant regime its gonna be an impossible task.
  • I think that is the point @razil - I genuinely believe that the club is heading in the right direction in most wats, but the newness of this direction (which, quite naturally, makes people scared and suspicious) and some initial mistakes by the management have led to a position of mistrust:

- The club now gives the fans the information that the fans say that they want, but it is either ignored or mistrusted by a large number of passionate, honest and well-meaning fans.

- The club feels like it is honestly answering the same negative questions time and time again, so they get rather chippy and develop of bunker-mentality of 'what's the point in talking to people if we are just going to be called liars'.

I hope that meeting might bring something positive, not only in getting the fans' questions answered, but also that the club might see that the passion of the supporters and work to build a really strong relationship and maybe things like a supporter on the board might be achievable down the line.

For me, the next steps are crucial, but incredibly difficult:

- Understand that it is KM that the fans need to talk to, not RD.

- Get together a comprehensive list of the questions that people want answered (good luck!)

- Fully understand how the club wants the fans to communicate with them.

- Work within the framework of how the club wants the fans to communicate with them to have the questions answered so that the answers can be put back to the fans - whether that be at a Fans Forum or a direct meeting.

- Once that communication is working, a little trust should be renewed, so things can be developed so that there are more opportunities for things like a supporter on the board and the idea of a fans charter like someone suggested Zena had seemed like a good idea to me.

None of this is easy, but, if the meeting yesterday is the start point for it, then it will be a hugely positive first step.
  • I was there last night. I think it was pleasing to see non-anti-RD people like myself make the effort and some even stood up to make a speech. It's always going to be a majority of discontented people at a meeting like this but I feel that the number of people who do not think RD is a danger to the club bothered, shows that any action against the club that does not represent everybody should not be taken. A silent majority... Maybe not but a sizeable group in any case.
  • Sponsored links:

• Taxi_Lad said:

I was there last night. I think it was pleasing to see non-anti-RD people like myself make the effort and some even stood up to make a speech. It's always going to be a majority of discontented people at a meeting like this but I feel that the number of people who do not think RD is a danger to the club bothered, shows that any action against the club that does not represent everybody should not be taken. A silent majority... Maybe not but a sizeable group in any case.

Good for you for being there and making your views known.

But there is no way that "action against the club that does not represent everybody should not be taken" can possibly work. There will not be a consensus amongst thousands of fans. The issue is, how many supporters DO want some action taken and will take part in any action? If it's enough, it will be noticed. If it's not, it will get drowned out by those who are happy, and gently ignored by RD. We'll see.
  • I went last night. I think we're a pretty realistic lot, no-one pretends to have an easy answer.
    I think a period of silence from Katrien would be most welcome.
    I also think we're underestimating what a blunder it was to appoint Bob. It has been his brand of slow football that has been driving fans away, and Luzon can't be any worse IMO. I'm not bothered about him not waving to the fans, his job is to put out a winning team, and that's what Curbs did. The other thing we don't know is how hard Roland will try to keep our best players, and what our squad will be next season. These things will affect how the mood of the fans changes.
  • First 30 minutes of the video of last night now available here. Just waiting for the next hour to upload.

There will be a minor overlap between video one and two as I inadvertently cut Steve Dixon off in his prime . . .

I didn't get most of the last half hour as I was running out of battery power.
  • if anyone wants to add anything, and wasn't able to at the meeting please complete the survey, and email secretary@castrust.org

we will try and formulate further steps once we have had time to absorb all the feedback, and we also need to put TNT to bed over the weekend..
  • Pleased i went, no masterplan tonight, but good to hear the different views.
    The pro Roland folk missed a trick tonight, you could have got your views across and you would have been applauded, mainly for having the bottle to speak.
    still don't worry you can go back to being keyboard warriors.

Some CL love to have a pop at Airman, you would have been disappointed tonight
    he didn't say we should storm his two chalets but keep on trying to put our points across for now.

The 71 year old chap who said we should by pass Katrien to get to Roland, by email or text or paper plane made a good case.

Covered end said we would have more chance with Murray than Katrien to get our message across.

Steve Dixon was very ani the network of clubs, and another couple of guys said they would rather us be in League 2 as long as we had a charlton fan/fans in charge. ? that would mean i would have to turn up and want us to lose,

sorry guys that not in my DNA to do that. But i do understand the sentiment.

Are all pro RD keyboard warriors then?
    Garry we are all keyboard warriors even people like me who will always try to lighten the mood at times.

After Saturday's great win there was a fantastic opportunity for someone to say how well certain players had done from SL, Bulot and Watt spring to mind.
    To be fair some did, including Rick, one lad who said if our early form had continued we wouldn't of been having the meeting, he's right but IF George, Igor or Bikey in those 3 home games had taken the last minutes chances Peeters would still be in a job because the six extra points would have put us in the top half of the table and bob's mood would have been better and the rows with players would not have been so intent. IF IF IF.

• question is, is 400 a good turn-out? In my opinion I was expecting to hear that closer to a 1,000 had been present. 400 is around 5% of our season ticket holders, even less of an average home crowd. To me this shows that less people are actually concerned at the moment than there are believed to be.

to put it in context, our local village had the same turn-out to discuss a local planning application out of 2,000 local residents, so a 20% turn-out.

this isn't to denigrate the meeting, or those that attended, but maybe it shows that those that did are actually in a minority.
  • WSS said:

question is, is 400 a good turn-out? In my opinion I was expecting to hear that closer to a 1,000 had been present. 400 is around 5% of our season ticket holders, even less of an average home crowd. To me this shows that less people are actually concerned at the moment than there are believed to be.

to put it in context, our local village had the same turn-out to discuss a local planning application out of 2,000 local residents, so a 20% turn-out.

this isn't to denigrate the meeting, or those that attended, but maybe it shows that those that did are actually in a minority.

Maybe it shows that more people are interested in the club than the football at the moment.

I bet we don't see 400 people up at Wigan tomorrow "supporting the players on the pitch".
    If we were in the play-off positions we'd struggle to muster 500 for a Friday night in Wigan.