Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Leicester close in on Ben Hamer (ed. GONE)

Comments

• Absolutely horrible day at work so I logged on here for some light relief. Top three threads are: Devite signing for Bolton, Leicester closing in on Hamer and What's our managerial situation....
    Urgh, what a crappy day.
  • Yann897 said:

Yann, face the facts please. RD didn't want to keep certain players. If he did, they would be signed up.

It's now a matter of what the new team will be.

As it will be a new team, bar Solly, Wiggins, Wilson, Jackson, Cousins & possibly Poyet.

On a serious level why don't you panic once we actually lose a player , not one has officially gone yet .
    And then if they do go , then you can panic if we don't bring any decent players in and don't act like you know we're not gonna like Iv seen you write because nobody knows yet including me and you.
    I've not said we're not going to bring in any decent players. I've said I'm waiting to see what happens.

I've also said his track record is not good.

No one's gone yet ?

Have you forgotten Kermorgant & Stephens already ?
    And Green and Evina.... (:
  • Rothko said:

It was a stated aim of the spivs not to resign players on contracts, and they were dragging their feet to find someone to buy the club. Players agents would have know this and would have been out doing deals ahead January when their officially allowed to do it.

Add to the fact people seem to forget when getting their mop on with RD, that this team of now superstars was struggling and there was no idea what league they might be in. Would Hamer have even signed if we were a League 1 club? And would you offer him a deal if we had gone down?

Either people are being deliberately forgetful about how the season panned out and how poor some players were, or just want any old stick to beat the new owners with.

Its pretty clear that there are a group of posters on here who very much fit the profile detailed in your last sentence.

Its getting to the point where it feels like the RD bashers want Hamer, Morrison, Dervite and Poyet to leave just so they can wet their knickers and scream "I told you Roland was a c***t"

Proper weirdo's.

• This will be a shame, one of my favourite players.
  • Rothko said:

It was a stated aim of the spivs not to resign players on contracts, and they were dragging their feet to find someone to buy the club. Players agents would have know this and would have been out doing deals ahead January when their officially allowed to do it.

Add to the fact people seem to forget when getting their mop on with RD, that this team of now superstars was struggling and there was no idea what league they might be in. Would Hamer have even signed if we were a League 1 club? And would you offer him a deal if we had gone down?

Either people are being deliberately forgetful about how the season panned out and how poor some players were, or just want any old stick to beat the new owners with.

Its pretty clear that there are a group of posters on here who very much fit the profile detailed in your last sentence.

Its getting to the point where it feels like the RD bashers want Hamer, Morrison, Dervite and Poyet to leave just so they can wet their knickers and scream "I told you Roland was a c***t"

Proper weirdo's.

Judging by the last comment, maybe they are not the only 'weirdo's'?.
  • edited May 2014
    If Hamer keeps goal for Leicester I will put bet on them going straight back down.
    This is no great loss.
  • Rothko said:

Proper weirdo's.

Judging by the last comment, maybe they are not the only 'weirdo's'?.
    So you're telling me there aren't set of posters who jump on every piece of speculation regarding out-going players and immediately start slagging the chairman off?

• I too am not fussed if Hamer hoes, he ain't that good and certainly not PL standard. Brighton and Yeovil have both released decent enough keepers and don't forget we signed Alnwick after he was released from his Barnsley contract and if any one of those three replaced Hamer we'd be no weaker, maybe stronger. And there will be others available too.
  • Sponsored links:

• He was offered a new contract weeks ago that remains unsigned....if i was him i would sign it as he isnt that great...gets easily bullied by opposition players in the box and as others have said concentration wains...he is our current best keeper but that doesnt say much for the other keepers at the moment...young ones will come good i hope.
  • When Alnwick left in January, there were an awful lot of "why have we let our best keeper leave" comments...

I'd be happy for Hamer to stay, but he's not PL standard. When we bought him, he was Reading's I think 4th choice keeper!
  • ....if i was him i would sign it as he isnt that great...

I guess Leicester, Fulham, WBA and Burnley do think he's decent enough, still no doubt he'll be taking your advice seeing as though he ain't all that! Got a horrible feeling we'll be seeing Thuram again next season.
  • edited May 2014
    Hamer is a good keeper, though flappy and vulnerable at obliquely crossing shots: for example, away at the Wendies the other week and at home to Leeds earlier this season. I'm not sure that Pope himself would think he is ready. I must say, I watched Dillon Phillips at Dartford in pre-season and he was quite superb under fierce and sustained pressure from point-blank headers from whipped-in corners.

If Hamer goes, we must find an experienced man who will quickly instil confidence in our central defenders. Who will those defenders be?
  • We have a history of pony goalkeepers going to warm the bench at Premier League clubs for a decent wage , no change here
  • Dervite, Morrison and Hamer looking to be on their way. Solly may struggle next season if rumours are true about the fitness of his leg.
    Looks like we will be having a whole new defence starting on the 9th August..................what fun.
  • I Blame this on the Chuckle Brothers entirely. By the time RD took over these players agents would already been in talks with other Clubs. We have come to the game too late. Everyone on here was saying last autumn that it was a major worry with all these contracts running down this June. TJ et al did nothing, now our chickens are coming home to roost. Not RD's fault.

Agree but not "everyone on here was saying it".

Seriously Red and a few others were convinced and tried to convince others it was all part of a very cunning and clever plan by TJ and MS. Most others were, as you say, saying it was a major worry but were dismissed as "doom mongers" and as having "agenda" for daring to suggest all was not perfect at the Valley. Glad no one is doing that now : - (

RD was left with a mess contract wise. So far he hasn't been able to fully rectify that mess. However he does have the summer to sort it out. The President is right in that so far the intent and action from RD don't bode well but it is still early days.

It will only be possible to assess the full impact of the last owners strategy when we see the full extent of player retention and the subsequent player acquisition.
    What is absolutely clear is that we have many, many players out of contract. All of the threads are dedicated to four players or 25% of the out of contract total. So that means 75% (about 12) won't make that much difference... And five of these have already announced they are gone.
    The opportunity to build a new Charlton team is clearly there and this is a result of the last owners.
    CAFC was losing £7m then £6m and perhaps £4m this season just gone. If anyone wants to suggest that CAFC should signed all of last season's squad on long term deals then they are missing two very important factors:
    1) many of these players were not good enough
    2) how much more money did you expect slater and Jiminez to lose
    I don't think the loudest voices against the last and current owner really care whether the owner loses another million or two!
    Personally I would like to see all four players stay but if it is just Poyet and one other (+ wiggins, Fox, Cousins, Solly and Jackson all signed) then this looks smart to me.
    So there is a platform built but there is no guarantee that Duchatelet and whoever will make the most of it. We simply have to wait and see but in the meantime we could take a look at Liege over the last three years. Duchatelet appears to have added value to the squad there without spending a fortune on transfers. And they are selling the place out - what's not to like?!

• Nug said:

....if i was him i would sign it as he isnt that great...

I guess Leicester, Fulham, WBA and Burnley do think he's decent enough, still no doubt he'll be taking your advice seeing as though he ain't all that! Got a horrible feeling we'll be seeing Thuram again next season.
    But then lot's of top clubs all wanted Yassin Mout before we won the race for him...
  • Sponsored links:

• Poor old Roland must feel like Cameron didn't when he inherited Browns mess.
  • Yann897 said:

Yann, face the facts please. RD didn't want to keep certain players. If he did, they would be signed up.

It's now a matter of what the new team will be.

As it will be a new team, bar Solly, Wiggins, Wilson, Jackson, Cousins & possibly Poyet.

On a serious level why don't you panic once we actually lose a player , not one has officially gone yet .
    And then if they do go , then you can panic if we don't bring any decent players in and don't act like you know we're not gonna like Iv seen you write because nobody knows yet including me and you.
    But we have lost players. Was January really that long ago for you?
  • I love fans that wear rose tinted glasses.
  • Would be interesting to hear people's suggestions for RD to tempt a player to not sign for a Premier League side?

There's nothing he could've done to stop Hamer leaving.
  • edited May 2014

We have a history of pony goalkeepers going to warm the bench at Premier League clubs for a decent wage , no change here

Maybe; if they are no good for us, then let them go. Apart from the dosh, I don't understand Elliot's professional satisfaction in playing only a handful of competitive games season after season at Newcastle. We have been blessed with some really superb keepers over the years: Nicky Johns, Bob Bolder, and Dean Kiely.

• Nug said:

....if i was him i would sign it as he isnt that great...

But then lot's of top clubs all wanted Yassin Mout before we won the race for him...
    That may be true, but he was a young player with potential so always a gamble, Hamer might not be Joe Hart but we know he's a decent Championship keeper. No problem with him going if we have a comparable/better replacement in the pipeline, not overly confident we do, but hoping to be wrong.
  • We have a history of pony goalkeepers going to warm the bench at Premier League clubs for a decent wage , no change here

Maybe; if they are no good for us, then let them go. Apart from the dosh, I don't understand Elliot's professional satisfaction in playing only a handful of competitive games season after season at Newcastle. We have been blessed with some really superb keepers over the years: Nicky Johns, Bob Bolder, and Dean Kiely.

Think it is fair to say that Elliott went for the dough. He knew the score.

Think it is fair to say that Elliott went for the dough. He knew the score.
    So would I.
    Third division to Premier League and financial security in one move.