Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thuram refuses to travel to Leeds

Comments

• I saw the thread title and assumed that it was an April Fool's jape. Now I've had time to read through, it seems that the story is true. If so, the club just has to take appropriate action. If not terminate the loan (although young Dillon seems a good prospect, it leaves us very short on experienced keepers at a crucial stage of the season) then at least censure and fine Thuram.

One good thing to come out of the farce that the network loans/signings have been is that RD/KM should be much, much more careful in future in ensuring that players moving between network clubs really are up to the standard required. Just hope the lesson is learned.

It also poses an interesting question about Nick Pope. If Hamer leaves at the end of the season, is Pope good enough to be our new number one? Would this be yes if we are in L1 but no if we stay in the Championship? If no, would he be better off spending another season out on loan but perhaps in L1 next time, or being back up to Ben H or a new number 1? I haven't seen enough of young Pope to know.
  • What a farce Duchatelet and his "network" are turning out to be. Thuram was foisted upon us, was deemed by our coaches to be barely at Conference level, played unconvincingly in a couple of games, and now refuses to travel. Who are Nego and Koc, and why don't they play in the U-21s? Reza may be hot for Iran, but the Championship is beyond him. Despite being young, Ajdarevic isn't fit enough for two games a week. And we've signed Polish Pete on an absurdly long contract, when the signs are he's a dud.

What a load of rubbish!

First time i've seen one of your posts make sense. Ajdarevic looks to be the best of a bad bunch but like you say never seems fit enough to play two games in a row. Doesn't sound like he will be with us next season but if he was to improve his fitness and stay with us would be a quality addition for next season. Reza badly needs a goal, there looks to be a player in there but seems too lightweight at times and falls over too easily. Being played out wide probably hasn't helped him at times either, he looked sharp in his first couple of games but since then his confidence has dipped and doesn't look the same player. Really want him to get a goal and see if it pushes him on. Thuram is dodgy and doesn't inspire confidence in defence, reminds me of pro evolution soccer keepers on playstation who used to punch and fumble every shot! If todays rumour is true its not the sort of team player you want at a club. As for the others, very strange to bring them in yet hardly feature for the u-21s, doesn't make sense. Personally for me the jury is out with this network of players and we have no choice but to go along with it. Its going to be an interesting summer whether we survive or not...
  • Very difficult to prove injury though pa
  • It's the only sub keeper. Not the end of the world. Will be great experience for Phillips to travel with the squad.
    After today there is 9 games left. I would personally just tell Thurham to do one and leave him out till he goes back in June.

Hypothetically if this did not happen and there was an injury to Hamer before the end of the season, I would hope Pope would be recalled and start in goal instead of this clown.
  • Send him to Carl Jena... thats about his level (no offence to our German cousins)

They need a new tea lady so it could work out well.

• Branleur.....

• I have some sympathy for him. He was, almost certainly, led to believe that he was coming to play. I've said this before but I don't think many Europeans realise that the Championship is as competitive as it is.

Refusing to travel is, clearly, not acceptable but I can understand why he would be a bit fed up.

Unless he's been told by the manager he should never have assumed he was coming to play. Secondly, if he isn't playing, then he should knuckle down and work hard to prove he should be in the team like every other play does at the club (except Reza and Sordell probably).
    This is pure speculation, but I would be very surprised if he wasn't given some indication that he would play. Uprooting and moving here would make zero sense otherwise. And isn't that the supposed point of the "network"? To shift players around and give them game time at one club if they can't make another?
    Well, I think we all know it wasn't Powell who indicated to him that he would play. The only person who should have that say. I think we all know Powell was being forced out by RD by forcing players on him. Interesting he hasn't done that to his mate Riga.
  • vff said:

If true it will be difficult for Thuram to remain at the club on a number of different levels. It would need a massive slice of humble pie, that I doubt that Thuram would be happy to be served up with, let alone eat.

I find it difficult to believe that Thuram had even an outside chance of making the French World Cup squad. What a state french goalkeeping is in, if this is true.

Happy for Dillon Phillips to deputise and travel with the first team. It will be great experience for the lad. Good luck and enjoy the experience DP.

He'd probably drop it.
  • vff said:

If true it will be difficult for Thuram to remain at the club on a number of different levels. It would need a massive slice of humble pie, that I doubt that Thuram would be happy to be served up with, let alone eat.

I find it difficult to believe that Thuram had even an outside chance of making the French World Cup squad. What a state french goalkeeping is in, if this is true.

Happy for Dillon Phillips to deputise and travel with the first team. It will be great experience for the lad. Good luck and enjoy the experience DP.

He'd probably drop it.
    Or punch it.
  • Sponsored links:

• vff said:

He'd probably drop it.
    Or punch it.
    I would imagine the humble pie would be given to him at a comfortable height to use his hands and hold it, however he will still opt to kick it away with his feet!
  • If he does turn up to training somebody please "do him" so he is officially injured & we can call back Pope.
  • vff said:

He'd probably drop it.
    Fumble pie, in his case!
    Brilliant.
  • Are there any reasonable goalkeepers out of contract? We can sign any of them. Thuram can go back to Belgium as quick as he likes.
  • ross1 said:

Are there any reasonable goalkeepers out of contract? We can sign any of them. Thuram can go back to Belgium as quick as he likes.

Ben Alnwick?

• IAgree said:

Interesting how a disaffected goalkeeper spitting his dummy out is used to justify whatever anti RD / Network / club (?) rants people want to make - Some of the links are tenuous, to put it mildly.

The reason this has happened is it's an obvious spanner amongst the works within this 'network' trading, it's near on a fact he will have come here for some game time and has now spat out his dummy because he's not getting it. I personally believe a lot of these players being brought in are brought in for the greater good of the network, their personal careers and money, not to help us out in any way. The gambles were took as to the players and they were all harshly misjudged, Thuram is the first to react and in a very stupid way, with any other circumstances ownership wise they'd be terminating that loan instantly, what a piss-take to fans of the club that pour money into the club, substitute or not, who does he think he is..
  • I can only assume that he was told he would come here to get game time, not to be challenging and now he finds himself living in a hotel, training every week in an alien environment. I'd be mighty peeved if I was him. He could have just as easily stayed in Liege, trained gone home to his own place every night. Whilst i defend the Rd regime at this time I do think on this he has been led up the garden path and that has resulted in his protest. having said that it does not condone refusing to travel. Well done Riga for not feeling the need to play him.
  • Sponsored links:

• IAgree said:

Interesting how a disaffected goalkeeper spitting his dummy out is used to justify whatever anti RD / Network / club (?) rants people want to make - Some of the links are tenuous, to put it mildly.

The reason this has happened is it's an obvious spanner amongst the works within this 'network' trading, it's near on a fact he will have come here for some game time and has now spat out his dummy because he's not getting it. I personally believe a lot of these players being brought in are brought in for the greater good of the network, their personal careers and money, not to help us out in any way. The gambles were took as to the players and they were all harshly misjudged, Thuram is the first to react and in a very stupid way, with any other circumstances ownership wise they'd be terminating that loan instantly, what a piss-take to fans of the club that pour money into the club, substitute or not, who does he think he is..
    But you could apply all of those comments to any loan. What you have identified is the reasons players are sent out on loan period. Some players do behave badly and some players behave badly whilst on loan. Some players play well on loan, some don't. The fact he is a loan player from the network is really neither here or there and says nothing about the network or the loans system, or RD.

It says the Goalkeeper is a precious waste of of our money and someone at / near the club is very unprofessional.
  • Very difficult to prove injury though pa

I'm getting on a bit, so I have seen a lot of employees, and fellow workers. Some constantly cause trouble and in the end, they leave, maybe they go voluntarily, maybe they are pushed. But it is not hard to identify them in the group.

Now of course what we see on the pitch is not necessarily a guide to how a footballer behaves off it. However every single time I have seen Yann Kermorgant he was one of the best players on the pitch, and also one of the most obviously hard working. Indeed one of the last times I saw him was at home to Brighton, and that was even by his standards, an absolutely titanic performance. You are asking me to believe that just two weeks later he behaved about as disgracefully as it's possible for a footballer to behave.
    I might believe that, if you had constantly warned that he was an inveterate troublemaker. You didn't . So I don't think you should start now. And in the meantime I will continue to believe that there are two sides to the story.

Perhaps Kermorgant and Stephens were playing for new contracts... Except not at CAFC! If true where does that leave their loyalty to Powell?
    There are three or four sides and a lot of the ITK information is released for a reason - to influence or steer the debate until things settle or another story comes up.
    But there are two very simple black and white questions coming up - either we stay up or not... And Duchatelet (and?) have the ability and resources to strengthen the squad or not.

Some people love the intrigue and gossip - me I just like following CAFC... Kick off soon ;)
  • Wow , so Thuram refused to travel to Leeds ... thank goodness for that!
  • Prague - may I suggest you need to take a broader view here. KMG is now on his 8th club in 12 yrs. It is not as if he has hung around for long anywhere. You will recall Powell specifically had to caution him about his approach before he joined - he became extremely isolated at Leicester.

I have no evidence of any malpractice at CAFC and I very much enjoyed his contribution to our club. Part of his attraction was he appeared to be an independent spirit but I think for whatever reason he chose to pursue such spirit with the new owner (no matter who it may be) being intent on seeking assurances over Powells' future.

All very commendable up to a point but no owner is going to accede to one players' demands, and certainly was not going to commit to circa £2.5mn to cover all of the respective contracts based on just 2 weeks experience of the club.

• Cheerio then. We are struggling to stay up and he wants to throw his toys out the pram.
    Don't let the door kick you in the butt on the way out!
  • Grapevine.
    I merely said there are two sides to the story. I don't discount that Kermorgant may have tried to negotiate more aggressively than was appropriate. I don't know, but neither, I am confident, does NLA.
    YK has asserted that he did not expect Charlton to match Bournemouth's offer. Yet that is what Bournemouth paid, he is scoring goals, and they are now being touted as playoff dark horses. He might say therefore that this is his market price, and I wonder whether in any business other than football a reasonable person could argue that point with him.
    I certainly fervently wish it was him at Elland road tonight, and not poor Joe Piggott, that is a very big ask of an inexperienced young player.
  • Phil Parry on BBC London just described Thuram as the worst goalkeeper he has ever seen in the flesh. He went on to qualify that by suggesting it was early days etc. But that is what he said. So in this case not just forum hyperbole....
  • Bring back Jim Stannard

F*** that, Charlton 1 Cardiff 4