Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thuram refuses to travel to Leeds

Comments

• He's acting like a spoilt child. Came to Charlton to get some game time to enhance his chances of going to the World Cup only to discover that two different managers think we've got a better goalie than him. Not a team player so he can head back to Belgium to sit on the bench at SL and plan his sumer holiday at Club Med as far as I'm concerned
  • Of all the penny dreadfuls the network has fedexed us, he is the most dreadful. It's not often that a player refusing to play is seen as a boost. God knows how anyone thinks his poor time for us will dent his world cup chances, unless the thinking is that he was going to watch it on the telly in Greenwich.
  • What will be the consequences for Thuram?

I can't believe Roland will be impressed with this .Lets hope Hamer does not get injured.
  • PL54 said:

The SLP is a local paper, its journalists have to have some legal knowledge as part of their training but the paper is unlikely to have an in-house solicitor or to run a football story that would require legal advice.

All of which means that this story is very well sourced from within the club. So not only is the story interesting, but why it has been leaked / verified internally is too.

Let's be honest, it's not a big leak is it ?

When he wasn't on the bench tonight, questions would have ben asked straight away.
    It's not a surprising leak, but it is surprising to have it stated categorically. Normally this would be dressed up as an injury doubt and therefore appear only as a rumour.
    Yes and no. If he refused to travel to Leeds, there's a fair chance he won't appear again.

So, to cover it up, they would have to have said he was injured for the rest of the season & that wouldn't do his World Cup hopes a lot of good.
    You're assuming, however, that the club is managing the story. It's possible, but unlikely, that the club gave it to the SLP off the record as a matter of policy.

It's more likely, in my view, that someone acting on their own initiative within the club did, in which case you have to look for that person's motive for doing so.

Becasue everyone who works for the club, or ever has done, hates their employer ?
    I think there are people employed by the club who will have seen the opportunity to put the boot in and taken it for their own reasons, whether related to Thuram or Powell or something else.
    Now where have we seen that before? ;-)
  • edited April 2014
    Richard J said:

What will be the consequences for Thuram?

I can't believe Roland will be impressed with this .Lets hope Hamer does not get injured.

10 year contract with a clause insisting he must play and a clean sheet bonus that's paid even if concedes.
  • If this is true it is outrageous and he has no place at Charlton.
  • Wish I would get paid for throwing my dummy.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have some sympathy for him. He was, almost certainly, led to believe that he was coming to play. I've said this before but I don't think many Europeans realise that the Championship is as competitive as it is.

Refusing to travel is, clearly, not acceptable but I can understand why he would be a bit fed up.

Unless he's been told by the manager he should never have assumed he was coming to play. Secondly, if he isn't playing, then he should knuckle down and work hard to prove he should be in the team like every other play does at the club (except Reza and Sordell probably).
  • Should be sent on the first plane home
  • Should be sent on the first plane home

yeh. What has he done to justify first team action over Hamer. Arrogance, pure and simple. Unusual for a Frenchman.
  • Surely he can look at Ben Hamer's recent performances and understand how well he is playing? He's been keeping us in recent games.

Yohan Thuram-alien on the other hand looks like a motorised pigeon.
  • I have some sympathy for him. He was, almost certainly, led to believe that he was coming to play. I've said this before but I don't think many Europeans realise that the Championship is as competitive as it is.

Refusing to travel is, clearly, not acceptable but I can understand why he would be a bit fed up.

Unless he's been told by the manager he should never have assumed he was coming to play. Secondly, if he isn't playing, then he should knuckle down and work hard to prove he should be in the team like every other play does at the club (except Reza and Sordell probably).
    This is pure speculation, but I would be very surprised if he wasn't given some indication that he would play. Uprooting and moving here would make zero sense otherwise. And isn't that the supposed point of the "network"? To shift players around and give them game time at one club if they can't make another?
  • Huskaris said:

This reflects badly on Roland to be honest.
    He's got football pie all over his face.

I don't see it that way at all. RD could be faulted for a few things but the professionalism of a goalkeeper isn't one of them. Piss poor attitude from Thuram, i actually thought this was an April fool at first, and i wouldn't be surprised if RD sells him.
  • @Chris_from_Sidcup‌, Roland and his very own "Mysteron" football advisors put Thuram in this position. We're seeing an example of a "blip" in The Matrix Network.
  • Huskaris said:

I don't see it that way at all. RD could be faulted for a few things but the professionalism of a goalkeeper isn't one of them. Piss poor attitude from Thuram, i actually thought this was an April fool at first, and i wouldn't be surprised if RD sells him.
    Sells him to who? He has no match experience of late, when he does he's shite, oh and he doesn't travel with a team battling for relegation because he's not happy sitting on the bench.

Not worth a penny.
  • Sponsored links:

• vffvff
    edited April 2014
    If true it will be difficult for Thuram to remain at the club on a number of different levels. It would need a massive slice of humble pie, that I doubt that Thuram would be happy to be served up with, let alone eat.

I find it difficult to believe that Thuram had even an outside chance of making the French World Cup squad. What a state french goalkeeping is in, if this is true.

Happy for Dillon Phillips to deputise and travel with the first team. It will be great experience for the lad. Good luck and enjoy the experience DP.
  • This is poor from him. I thought the plan was that he would go back to being the SL no. 1 next year, and that the current keeper (who is apparently much, much, better than him) would be sold.
  • Only read the original post but has to be an April fool. The timing and exclusion of a link. I know the game. Good one though ten times better then mine with more detail and thought.
  • Yours was an April Fool ?? FFS
  • Did someone post that the club were going to clarify the situation soon?
  • edited April 2014

Huskaris said:

Sells him to who? He has no match experience of late, when he does he's shite, oh and he doesn't travel with a team battling for relegation because he's not happy sitting on the bench.

Not worth a penny.

Well as he was supposedly one of the best keepers in the French league, i'm sure a french club would be interested in him.
    'Supposedly' is the key word there.
    That story seems a bit like PR bumph, unless the standard of keeping in the French league is pretty feeble, which I doubt

But yes, hopefully some club out there is interested!
  • Was supposed to catch the last train up.......

Guess what?
  • edited April 2014
    At the end of the day, Network or no Network it becomes a mess if more than one person at the club is making the final decision on who should and shouldn't be joining the club.

Did CP make the decision to bring this player in?
    Did he have any choice?
  • Huskaris said:

Not worth a penny.

Well as he was supposedly one of the best keepers in the French league, i'm sure a french club would be interested in him.

Apparently there were French clubs interested but Thuram Choose to come here because he saw it as a development opportunity.