Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thuram refuses to travel to Leeds

Comments

• Just checking that this story has appeared on 1st April 2014 ?????????????????
  • edited April 2014
    The SLP is a local paper, its journalists have to have some legal knowledge as part of their training but the paper is unlikely to have an in-house solicitor or to run a football story that would require legal advice.

All of which means that this story is very well sourced from within the club. So not only is the story interesting, but why it has been leaked / verified internally is too.
  • Exactly, Henry. Leaves me feeling quite the opposite of what you are saying, Large - proves the "conspiracy theory" was simply that RD didn't trust CP and was looking for excuses to bin him. Makes me very angry.

I didn't want Powell out, but the best excuse RD needed to get him out was that limp display at Bramall Lane

The way things panned out, getting another keeper was useful - assuming Alnwick's problems were going to surface &/or he had a sniff of a longer contract on offer if he left. Pope is meanwhile gaining much-needed experience, so we need a 2nd keeper. But Thuram clearly not the answer, even in hindsight...
  • There are special rules on loaning keepers aren't there, so if Hamer was to be injured, we could still loan a keeper outside the windows?
  • Not surprised if true, and puts another tick in the 'this network link up thingy is a potential bloody mess'.

Suspect he was told on coming here he was going to be playing every week by whoever outside the club decided he was to come here. That's not materialised under the old manager, and now under the new one.

Player pished off as he was made promises that haven't emerged.

Thing is though Dan, regardless of being part of the network or not, if you are told as a pro-footballer that going on loan you may get game time, make a couple of mistakes, and the other GK (in this case Hamer) starts playing well and takes his chance, you have to be professional, take it on the chin and get on with it.

The network would have worked if he came in and took his chance, but he never. Its surely all about the individual rather than the model?
    I agree Gary.

The question has been asked (rightly) a few times that 'if Powell was being pressured to play him, why is he not in the team now Powell has been outed?' and is a very fair one.

My suspicion is that some of the other players in the squad have had a firm bit of upward feedback input....

• Sponsored links:

• What a bizarre situation, you wonder what he was promised when he came over here.

Exactly. And by whom, and why. When I read the reports from people on here about Pope and Phillips, it is even more bizarre to recall that Thiram was the first to arrive, almost before the ink had dried on RD's acquisition documents. There was no case for sending him to us.
    Exactly. Keeper was last area we needed strengthening and people were saying that at the time, not in hindsight.
    We did need to strengthen the keeping (as it turned out...) because Alnwick probably would've dropped out for off field reasons. If this is true, then we'll probably need to strengthen again.
  • Exactly, Henry. Leaves me feeling quite the opposite of what you are saying, Large - proves the "conspiracy theory" was simply that RD didn't trust CP and was looking for excuses to bin him. Makes me very angry.

On a scale of 1 to 14, how angry exactly ?
  • The SLP is a local paper, its journalists have to have some legal knowledge as part of their training but the paper is unlikely to have an in-house solicitor or to run a football story that would require legal advice.

All of which means that this story is very well sourced from within the club. So not only is the story interesting, but why it has been leaked / verified internally is too.

Let's be honest, it's not a big leak is it ?

When he wasn't on the bench tonight, questions would have ben asked straight away.
  • The SLP is a local paper, its journalists have to have some legal knowledge as part of their training but the paper is unlikely to have an in-house solicitor or to run a football story that would require legal advice.

When he wasn't on the bench tonight, questions would have ben asked straight away.
    Easy to cover up though. 'Thuram didn't travel with the team due to a sore wrist'…oooerrrr.

It's not a surprising leak, but it is surprising to have it stated categorically. Normally this would be dressed up as an injury doubt and therefore appear only as a rumour.
  • What a bloody shambles, mega pissed off now.
  • Maybe he expected to be given a chance after the 3 goals were let in at the weekend. Who knows what promises have been made to him, either before the move, or recently.

Probably realises he's not dislodging Hamer and has had enough.

Very unprofessional, regardless.
  • Surely this is an april fool?!
  • Sponsored links:

• The joke is that with SCP refusing to play him at Doncaster (allegedly ), this was one of the first nails in his coffin.....

Taxi for Jose.......

• edited April 2014

The SLP is a local paper, its journalists have to have some legal knowledge as part of their training but the paper is unlikely to have an in-house solicitor or to run a football story that would require legal advice.

It's not a surprising leak, but it is surprising to have it stated categorically. Normally this would be dressed up as an injury doubt and therefore appear only as a rumour.
    Yes and no. If he refused to travel to Leeds, there's a fair chance he won't appear again.

So, to cover it up, they would have to have said he was injured for the rest of the season & that wouldn't do his World Cup hopes a lot of good.
  • "He might as well go home" --------------------sing along.
    people wont forget this so all together "he might as well go home".

In the famous words of Brian Clough " he is a clown"--------------------although in the case of Tomashefski (sic) BC was wrong.

but that is what I don't get. He didn't need an excuse to bin CP. He came in, we were not doing well in the League so he could have binned him straight away if he wanted to. New owners do it all the time. Why spend time and energy creating a situation where you could then bin him but create a load of conspiracy theories? It doesn't make sense to me.

• does anyone actually care if he's gone to leeds/liege/the job centre?

f**k him

i.e. Yann.
  • Bring back Jim Stannard
  • Irrelevance for the team as he wasnt going to get another game with Hamer in his current form anyway, unless an injury occurred in which case we could have brought back Pope who may well have been in front of him due to form.

Still, thanks Thuram.