Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    WSS said:

Agree VG

Yeah I'm in.

• Options
    FUCKING BOLLOX!
  • Options
    No point having a rant, I'll just give it a few months before coming back for another game. No ideas, poor basic skills, not enough desire.
  • Options
    No bottle in these big derby games. Never looked like scoring. Not good enough Powell. So annoyed, they were there for the taking. Will post a detailed view tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I thought Joe Pigott's day was reliably foreshadowed by his cameo at Watford so I did not think starting him would work, but I can see why Chris did so and I'm certain that if he hadn't started that would be the main criticism on here now.

We are asking way too much of him too soon, but he didn't hide and that showed character. I suspect CP took him off as soon as he felt he could without damaging his confidence further.

I always felt that the outcome of this match would be determined by Yann limping off last week and nothing that happened has changed that view.

The squad isn't good enough without YK, but Powell is still the man most likely to keep us up. We need to stand our ground behind him.

As for the crowd, it was always going to be what it was, as I said when the TV announcement was made, except that this time Millwall didn't sell out.

• Options
    Airman

Regarding the attendance. What in your opinion explains the fact that in 2009 in the Third Division with a competitive but rather flaky Parky team,and on a freezing cold shopping Saturday before Christmas, we got 21,000, and today, with Millwall bringing much the same, it was 30% less?
  • Options
    If it don`t do what it says on the tin I can get my money back, can I please have my money back as on the tin it says football team.
  • Options
    Anybody know if either of our owners were present ?
  • Options

I couldn't see them in the director box. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.
  • Options
    Who are our owners?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Airman

Regarding the attendance. What in your opinion explains the fact that in 2009 in the Third Division with a competitive but rather flaky Parky team,and on a freezing cold shopping Saturday before Christmas, we got 21,000, and today, with Millwall bringing much the same, it was 30% less?

I reckon:
    Higher prices
    This match was on tv
    Early kick off
    Haven't played for a while
    The way we were treated last year
    Both being near the top of the league
  • Options

ShootersHillGuruShootersHillGuru Member
    6:19PM

Don't have a clue. I bloody wish I hadn't bothered.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Just a small thought for those not thinking about coming back on that performance / wanting a refund.

I know £30 isnt much but at the end of the day it could be the difference between Powell being able to add players to the squad to improve performances like today and erm not being able to which means we could see many more days like today.

Small actions could end up being a massive impact... Just a thought!!
  • Options

I'd start cousins, Harriott, Stewart even Evina next game. Seems some of our players think they are undroppable.

Pretty much what I've been saying after Tues night & then today, VG

• Options
    edited September 2013
    We didn't play well and it's an embarassment that since 2010 we've played four competitive games against them and not scored a single goal.

We were terribly slow in possession from back to front and made Millwall's job of closing us down far far too easy. The amount of times we had to pass back to Hamer or hoof it as a result seemed countless. The hoofing wouldn't be so terrible if we had a lump up front to challenge aerially.

Jackson was a passenger.

Going to avoid CL (as well as forget about CAFC) for a couple of days I think, for my own sanity.
  • Options
    missed yann badly today someone who would stick it to them proves how much we rely on him
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    As the alcohol kicks in and the pain should be numbing, I find it isn't.

I disagreed earlier with a poster who said most of the players were "not trying". And I stand by that; no professional footballer goes on to the field and deliberately omits to try.

But the more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that there were too many players who , while "putting in the effort", had no ambition that extended beyond merely 'doing a job' and not making too many mistakes.

What I mean by that is not that I want players to take unececcsary risks. But it does require some leadership, a few players who are prepared to take the game by the scruff of its ugly neck and stamp their authority upon it.

I guess it's a confidence thing, but I didn't see that anywhere on the field today. I think Stephens has the skill to do it and was the closest we came, but he was still a long, long way off it (and I know even that damning with faint praise will be controversial among those who loathe his every touch).

It would even be an advance if we could aspire to be be "inconsistent" (ie bad one week, decent the next). The sad truth is that at the moment we are consistently poor...
  • Options

Thing is I know people say there's only so much a manager can do but if you watch your team hopelessly thumping the ball upfield then when you get to HT or even on the touchline then orders should be to keep the ball. It's honestly beginning to look like that's powells tactics. I can't defend today from players or management. Complete dog shit.

Yep, agree with most of that.

Millwall would have watched the last two or three games, set up in a 4-2-3-1 to nullify the extra man in central midfield, worked at getting behind the ball, blocked up the central areas and waited for a break. Simples. We weren't good enough individually or collectively to overcome a simple game plan.

We tried to play from the back, had no space to play through midfield and descended into tippy tappy nonsense Inside our own half. Barcelona we ain't. I particularly enjoyed the way we run down the clock in the one minute added time at the end of the first half, 10 passes sideways, backwards and back to where we had started from.
    So we didn't change the line up at half-time and then decided that playing like Stoke was the way to beat two centre halfs who headed the ball away all day long.
    Unbelievable.

Let's face it, we'd play 4-4-2 if we had the central midfielders capable of doing a job. We are playing 5-3-2 cos we need the extra man in the central areas. Hughes came in and did the job in the closing weeks of last season. Jackson, Stephens, Pritchard & Gower are all unreliable. Is it time to trust Cousins in there or is it unfair to ask a youngster to take on that responsibility? We still need an experienced Central Mid, which will allow us to play 4-4-2. If CP doesn't sort out the engine room once and for all, he will eventually pay the price. We are too easy to play against.
  • Options
    I wish RRR had been played loud and clear when the teams came out. If it was played I didn't hear it in the East Stand.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I wish RRR had been played loud and clear when the teams came out. If it was played I didn't hear it in the East Stand.

I think they may have stopped the music to let the fans try to build an atmosphere as the players came out (only we scared the wrong bunch lol!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Could not hear in west upper either.

• Options
    We defo would've won if RRR was played
  • Options
    Lol
  • Options
    Good analysis Tutt-Tutt. Helps us make sense of the apparent shambles and may save a few from suicide!
  • Options
    I'd wouldn't care if they played YMCA as long as the players turned up and put in a shift against Millwall.
  • Options
    Was very disappointed about the whole day... Match, crowd, and the supposedly mighty millwall..... The whole thing was a bit of a let down to be honest. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Can anyone point out what Hamer did today to warrant some of the negative comments of him? I accept his kicking at times was poor but he did absolutely nothing wrong in terms of catching the ball or shot stopping.

We all have our favourite players and therefore justify their inadequacies when they muck up and highlight their strengths when they play well. Pritchard is the case in point. When he runs back the length of the pitch to make a saving tackle a la Leicester then his supporters rightly praise his fitness and tenacity. When he plays a shocking pass like today then his doubters highlight his technical deficiencies.

Personally he brings enough to a fairly slow and pondering midfield to justify a place in my opinion. He was poor today but has proved himself before.

For the record I though Church was decent today and Wood looked good at the back.
  • Options
    WSS said:

We defo would've won if RRR was played

And if Bartram, Humphrey, Jenkinson, Shirtliff, Rufus, Parker, Shelvey, Simonsen, Hales, Di Canio and Bent (D) was played, too!

• Options

Can anyone point out what Hamer did today to warrant some of the negative comments of him? I accept his kicking at times was poor .

Think you just answered your own question.

• Options
    Hamer is a touch too arrogant for my liking. His distribution was often without care and he is becoming a liability. Shot stopper goalkeepers are two a penny. To be a good GK you need an all round game and I think Hamer is too cocky to learn at the moment. Needs dropping and a dose of humility.