Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

Going to get a lot of stick, but Powell's times up and Piggott got made to look appalling by two below average centre backs.
    Completely awful

Deluded.
  • Options
    I think he was right to start Pigott. Imagine if he had started Sordell and he had spent an hour looking disinterested. We'd all be saying he should have started Pigott, home grown lad, big heart etc etc.

I'm finding it hard to really sum up that game. I can't think of an individual who had a nightmare it is just that collectively we looked inept. Wood looked decent and I feel Church stood out as our man of the match. Some nice touches and link up,play.

Im not one who thought we went too long ball today. Our centre backs had a lot of possession but could do little with it. In fact I was screaming for the long ball at the end of the first half when there was one minute of added time and we played it around at the back.

There is a negative vibe through the club that starts at the top. I have no issue with Powell or the players but they are not a happy bunch. Our squad has absolutely no depth so when the likes of Kermorgant are out we only have one player who plays in a slightly similar vein which is Pigott.

I'm worried but I place little blame at the feet of the playing and coaching staff.
  • Options

Thanks to me choosing to live on another continent and Sky choosing not to televise us much (who can blame them) in the last 12 months I've seen 3 games live, two of which have been gutless defeats to Millwall. Not good for the soul.

It's only one game but it needs to be a watershed moment because everything about it was below the minimal acceptable level.

Felt sorry for Piggott, he was trying too hard and it was a bit of a silly game to choose to give him a full debut. Nothing came off and he looked like he had a terrible game because he actually tried things that didn't come off. Truth is Church was worse because he did virtually nothing at all.

Church did nothing? That's the problem with people who watch games on telly. They end up talking shit.

Not saying you had any viable alternative or that you're less of a fan for living somewhere else. But that's nonsense.
    Ran around a lot, failed to hold the ball up and passed the ball back to keeper instead of shooting. Granted, it was the only 'shot' on target we had all afternoon. Like everyone else, Church did very little to help us build attacks and create genuine chances. He did run around a lot, which is more than some did, but a lot of it was to close down Millwall, there was generally a lack of movement in front of the midfield when we had the ball.

I can't see how his contribution was particularly productive.

Anyway, I don't want to single him out. I just wanted to point out that he wasn't much better than Piggott but it is Piggott's poor showing that is attracting more attention.
  • Options
    Chris took a risk starting with Pigott, and it backfired big time. I can sort-of see why he persisted with him after half time - to give him the chance to redeem himself and get some confidence back. But that surely failed too.

From the start we seemed lacking in creativity and especially composure. First 15 we were getting stuck in i thought, but the real sign of mental toughness is showing bottle when you have the ball, not diving in to a tackle. No leader on the pitch AGAIN vs Millwall, as per bleeding usual
  • Options
    My son was playing on his DS for a lot of today. He'd told me he didn't want to go at 11 this morning. I made him go. I hope no one tells social services.

And my local is full of Millwall :(

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Shocking. Were they all out on the ale last night?
    Wiggins is like a new player and not a very good one. Pritchard has plenty of endeavor but retains his non league qualities when the ball's at his feet. Dervite is a bit of a mystery.what is his role? I think he's confused. No way is he a solid centre half. Stephens still has the look of a man that was promised a trip to Disneyland but had his ticket stolen. Disinterested.
    The worrying thing is that how shit Millwall are. We were at home. And look much much worse.
  • Options
    As soon as I saw the team I thought we were doomed. Pigott is not ready and I can only assume that the reason he is playing instead of an experienced pro is a financial one. Feel sorry for Pritchard because I thought he was one of the few that was trying, but as others have said he was simply outmuscled. We certainly looked better when Harriott and Stewart came on, I don't like 3-5-2 at home. Haven't lost faith but it is hard right now! We will bounce back! COYR
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Thanks to me choosing to live on another continent and Sky choosing not to televise us much (who can blame them) in the last 12 months I've seen 3 games live, two of which have been gutless defeats to Millwall. Not good for the soul.

It's only one game but it needs to be a watershed moment because everything about it was below the minimal acceptable level.

Felt sorry for Piggott, he was trying too hard and it was a bit of a silly game to choose to give him a full debut. Nothing came off and he looked like he had a terrible game because he actually tried things that didn't come off. Truth is Church was worse because he did virtually nothing at all.

Church did nothing? That's the problem with people who watch games on telly. They end up talking shit.

Not saying you had any viable alternative or that you're less of a fan for living somewhere else. But that's nonsense.
    Ran around a lot, failed to hold the ball up and passed the ball back to keeper instead of shooting. Granted, it was the only 'shot' on target we had all afternoon. Like everyone else, Church did very little to help us build attacks and create genuine chances. He did run around a lot, which is more than some did, but a lot of it was to close down Millwall, there was generally a lack of movement in front of the midfield when we had the ball.

I can't see how his contribution was particularly productive.

Anyway, I don't want to single him out. I just wanted to point out that he wasn't much better than Piggott but it is Piggott's poor showing that is attracting more attention.
    He was certainly far more involved in the game than virtually everyone else. I'd say only Stephens saw more of the ball - not that that's a good thing - as he did nitto with it.

What a depressing performance.
  • Options

The worrying thing is that how shit Millwall are. We were at home. And look much much worse.

Yup
  • Options
    Sorry but a LOT of blame lays with SCP on this one. Fine that he picked Pigott but the lad was having a mare and nothing he did was good enough. Won't be surprised if his confidence is shattered for months. Sordell is experienced and has "an issue" with Millwall. I think he would have put in a shift. He was ok when he did get on. Actually that's a side issue for me. The players were flat and without purpose. SCP should have had them bouncing off the walls for this match. We played hoofball and it was dire. That's down to the manager. We need to turn it around very quickly and I can start to smell something rotten.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Shocking. Were they all out on the ale last night?
    Wiggins is like a new player and not a very good one. Pritchard has plenty of endeavor but retains his non league qualities when the ball's at his feet. Dervite is a bit of a mystery.what is his role? I think he's confused. No way is he a solid centre half. Stephens still has the look of a man that was promised a trip to Disneyland but had his ticket stolen. Disinterested.

Nailed it
  • Options

The worst thing is bansley was the last time we scored in the league from actual open play bar a wonder goal. It wasnt just this game we have no creativity is been all of them

Eh??? We scored twice against Leicester both headers...
  • Options
    Millwall are not very good... let's get that out of the way... we do not have the wing backs who are good enough to play 3-5-2 every week irrespective of the opponents and the fact that our top striker is out injured. The club let Haynes (and Fuller) go and gambled on new strikers / academy graduates settling in quickly and giving enough to get us by.
    4-4-2 or 4-5-1/4-3-3 against Millwall would have taken the game to them and with our record against them we had nothing to lose... or do we? I sense that Powell is trying to get through this period... Trouble is the next few games are no easier are they?

I could say a lot more / a lot worse about certain players but that doesn't help. The quicker the club invests in the squad the quicker we avoid dicing with relegation. The irony is that it costs money the club doesn't have but in the long run it will save a lot more. I'm afraid aiming for mid-table is not ambition and it won't work for Charlton.
  • Options
    Post match comment from Powell, "I wanted my players to put Millwall under pressure, but we didn't do that"

You don't say Chris, you don't say.
  • Options
    Today was absolutely farcical.

This godforsaken 3-5-2 system, I feel, proved how much of an ineffective system it was today. We had absolutely no width and played straight into Millwall's hands. Bailey had a field day disrupting the very little movement we had on the ball. We only looked remotely threatening when both Stewart and Harriot came on.

Pigott was way out of his depth today. Excitable but inexperienced, his knocking the ball out of play when he had that much space to run in to was criminal. Hats off to Church who chased and chased today, he should definitely keep his place next week. Pritchard on the other case is too much of a weak a link in our CM. Regularly caught napping today, I thought he had a shitter and his poor pass lead to McDonald's shot and unfortunate deflected goal.

Effortless, heartless and extremely disappointing display today. Millwall were static for most of the game and the points were there for the taking.

Shambolic!
  • Options
    Bad result. Worse performance. Don't think the players are doing what SCP is asking them to do. Historically too many players bottle it against Millwall. Bailey was the best midfielder out there. Looked momentarily better when the subs came on but they didn't sustain it. Passing, service to forwards was poor. Wouldn't give up on Piggott though he made some terrible errors. 4-3-4 next time I reckon, with Harriot & Stewart. Missed Yann & Solly but no excuses, we were second best.
  • Options
    And the TVs on the east stand concourse weren't working.
    Cutting toenails would have been better entertainment.
  • Options
    Utterly depressing experience. All this 'the players don't care and weren't trying' stuff is total bollocks though. Jackson in particular looked angry and frustrated as the game wore on.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Remember when people decided our strike force was too good for Obika? Could've done with him today. Or Fuller. Or Haynes.
  • Options
    yeah it was like a scene out of 300 uboat
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also, some people need to have a re-read of their comments after Leicester and Watford. Apparently we had a great group of players then, full of character and heart. Too much knee-jerk drama on here.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Wish I had stayed at work. Wish I had done anything other than sit through that crap. Why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why did we piss about about the back so much and then give the ball away? Pritchard giving the ball away for their goal just about summed us up. Awful game and hate hate hate to say it but beaten by a better Millwall side. Again. We are in trouble.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Also, some people need to have a re-read of their comments after Leicester and Watford. Apparently we had a great group of players then, full of character and heart. Too much knee-jerk drama on here.

If we had ran and tackled and bitten into them and tried and tried I could forgive losing. Today we were spineless and without motivation which for me is a crime.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Vincenzo said:

Bad result. Worse performance. Don't think the players are doing what SCP is asking them to do. Historically too many players bottle it against Millwall. Bailey was the best midfielder out there. Looked momentarily better when the subs came on but they didn't sustain it. Passing, service to forwards was poor. Wouldn't give up on Piggott though he made some terrible errors. 4-3-4 next time I reckon, with Harriot & Stewart. Missed Yann & Solly but no excuses, we were second best.

Can we really play without Hamer?

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

Nothing positive to take from today sadly, on way home, standard mark 1 home defeat to Millwall.

Tactic A - Sideways, sideways, backwards, hoof

Tactic B - Sideways, sideways, backwards, misspass they shoot or score

Tactic C - didn't see one,

I am hardly ever this negative and I am sure its a knee jerk reaction to a game that means so much but I was genuinely concerned by a performance like that. Well done Simon Church for at least trying.

Agreed!

• Options
    @foreveraddickted a header from a corner and free kick i do not count, i meant an actual attacking movement
  • Options
    There is a momentous gap between the good players in our squad and those who are there to make up the numbers.

Piggot, were he not a charlton youth graduate would have been booed off the pitch. Unbelievably out of his depth. Makes me wonder how poor Sordell must be in training?

People will still speak of Stephens "potential" when he is 65.

I get annoyed when people have a go at players for passing round the back but today they passed round the back til they lost it.

We missed Yann.
  • Options
    Unfortunately we were messing around with it at the back because we couldnt pass it forward... We couldnt pass it forward because every Millwall play bust a gut to close each player down so every time we got the ball it would go backwards.

When the ball went backwards we then had no other choice to lump the ball forwards and because we didnt have Kermorgant up top to win a header the ball just came straight back.

The game would have been a 0-0 bore draw remember but for a really poor shot that took an extremely very lucky deflection.

And for those who will say that we should have closed down like Millwall did then I'll say you always have to play to your own tactics (as the moment you start playing the opposition way they've got you straight in their pocket) its just a shame the players today didnt listen to Powell's instructions.

@AdamAddick - Didnt realise we could be that picky, the ball could go into the back of the net off the refs backside and I wouldnt care regardless of the situation we're in
  • Options
    We lacked movement. We have been spoiled because Yann doesn't need to move to boss CHs. We need to go into a game with an option of a threat so CHs can pass the ball around waiting for CS or CH to find space. Sordell looked dangerous but ball didn't fall for him. However he won't hassle defenders so he is no option. Yann back will paper over the cracks but Pigott is not a write-off. Few forwards would prosper with that service, Rhodes & Austin included.
  • Options

Truth is Church was worse because he did virtually nothing at all. Sorry but you are wrong and I will forgive you because you were watching on TV.