Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Millwall - Post Match Views

Comments

• Powell said we need to be smarter in the final third, i cant remember a pass being able to be played in the final third because of the fucking long balls
  • edited September 2013
    Think I might Actually kill someone if they mention the fact that powell hasn't got the players he wanted in to play the football he wants. Absolute bullshit.
  • edited September 2013
    absolute pony performance. Millwall weren't much cop either but as usual, we played worse than them.
    Positives to take from this game? None
  • edited September 2013

Going to get a lot of stick, but Powell's times up and Piggott got made to look appalling by two below average centre backs.
    Completely awful

Have a word with yourself. "Powell's times up" ? Were you saying that when we finished 9th or with 100+ points ? How about when we beat Leicester and drew with Watford last week ? I bet not. So what's changed, his ability to manage or your faith ? I think I know.
  • Having seen them from the away end at Barnsley and Hudds it was a change to see the overall picture on TV, and it was pathetic and just not Charlton.
  • It was truly poor. effort not an issue they just had no quality and can not play 433 against a poor team who do not come at us. Should have started 442 and gone at a very mediocre Millwall side.

Games lost to Millwall, Huddersfield, Boro & bournmouth and a point at Barnsley 0 all much win games. We are doomed unless POwelly can pull something out the hat PDQ.

Not a lot of likely points in the games coming up...going to be a long season. Bet our owners are kicking themselves for not accepting any bid they got in the summer...they won´t be able to give us away in League1.
  • Before I begin, no I didn't go; but I was planning too right up until this morning. I've been on antibiotics for a few days, haven't been at work, can't talk and generally feel khack… much like our performance. Now with excuses out of the way..

Call me a hypocrite - but The Valley looked empty there. Honestly? I hope the club take note of this and realise that they've probably lost a lot of income due to the sheer idiocy of how they treated this fixture last season. You can't take a crap on your fans and just expect them to turn up for it again and again.

The performance? Let me qualify this by saying that I don't actually mind Millwall, as far as I'm concerned, it's Crystal Palace that hold the hatred for me! Despite that though, I'm still pretty damn f*cked off at the whole affair. There seemed to be no confidence in the squad out there, the play seemed negative and - for large chunks of the game - the only time we seemed to get the ball in to any dangerous positions was after it being hoofed up the pitch.. inevitably, this meant retention of possession was piss poor.

I feel sorry for Pritchard, because he's probably going to have a broken back pretty soon from everyone jumping on it. He was at fault for that goal, in fact, I'd go as far as to say that if that Millwall player was one of ours then that would've been the pass of the match! However, lets not forget his effort recently. Although I dare say that the bipolar love affair that some of our fans have with him will be doing a full swing as I type this post.

The goal itself was weak, and if it wasn't for the deflection (off Dervite?) then I think Hamer would've handled it well. It's a shame that it was such a poor goal really, adds some more insult to injury.

The worst thing is though, it's painfully predictable now - we don't win these matches. However, it still comes as a bit of a nasty surprise every time we lose them! As an example, I checked the odds for a 1-2 loss - I didn't put money on as I don't like the idea of betting against Charlton - but it did occur to me that betting on a Millwall win was (without a doubt) money in the pot..

Despite all that - some of the comments on here are just as embarrassing as that performance - "i'm glad they're all out of contract next summer" and "powells time is up" are the two glaringly obvious ones. Or the comments moaning about hoofball but also moan about sidewards passing. When we passed sideways we had a hope in hell of retaining possession, when people make stupid noises and get on the players backs then they boot it. Sometimes passing sideways gives the team a good foundation to build upon, provides a little confidence and allows the team to break out in possession. It happens week-in week-out, yet very few see the pattern there.

As ever, I will try and draw some positives from that performance though:

- Stewart: I like the look of this lad. He didn't seem to have a bag full of tricks like Harriott, but he did seem keen and seemed to be involved in some good play when he came on.
    - Harriott: I really feel for him. When he came on he immediately got the ball and tried to make things happen, he doesn't deserve a relegation to the bench - so it's a shame theres no room for him in 3-5-2.
    - Sordell: Just a minor point with MS, when he came on I thought he looked better than his previous performances. He seemed to be grinning before coming on, seemingly when the fish song was getting an airing, it's a shame he didn't connect with that cross towards the end.

Additionally, we do have a game in hand. Despite that, we're not in a very good situation right now and, thankfully, looking at the fixture list I expect every team below us should lose today. (With the exception of the Sheff Wed match obviously) Something needs to be done, and any excuses regarding the current injuries aren't really acceptable - we can't have a team this fragile.

We need to get Solly and Yann back to fitness and integrated in the team for the next few matches; we're going to need everything we can get.
  • se9addick said:

Going to get a lot of stick, but Powell's times up and Piggott got made to look appalling by two below average centre backs.
    Completely awful

Have a word with yourself. "Powell's times up" ? Were you saying that when we finished 9th or with 100+ points ? How about when we beat Leicester and drew with Watford last week ? I bet not. So what's changed, his ability to manage or your faith ? I think I know.
    Powell has been skating on thin ice for a while. We are bang in trouble and need a change. The football we play is terrible, his decision making ie subs are terrible, he went with a defensive formation for a derby home game. He done well in league one, but he can't sit on his laurels. 1 win in 7 games (would have been 8 had the Donny game carried on) is awful and if you can't see that then I think it is you who needs to have a word with yourself
  • Thanks to me choosing to live on another continent and Sky choosing not to televise us much (who can blame them) in the last 12 months I've seen 3 games live, two of which have been gutless defeats to Millwall. Not good for the soul.

It's only one game but it needs to be a watershed moment because everything about it was below the minimal acceptable level.

Felt sorry for Piggott, he was trying too hard and it was a bit of a silly game to choose to give him a full debut. Nothing came off and he looked like he had a terrible game because he actually tried things that didn't come off. Truth is Church was worse because he did virtually nothing at all.

For some reason I thought this was a 3pm KO - so only just woke up - sounds like I missed another cracker :(

There's only one Spanner fan in town, havent seen him in months - so will undoubtedly bump into him today.......
  • Again and again and again and ...never bloody ends, why do charlton teams never turn up for spanners games ...reverse football, all backwards
  • Sponsored links:

• Shit performance from players and management.

V surprised at the team that started.

On this occasion 3-5-2 was not working. Powell should have changed the formation and personnel at half time. Wood & Pigott off, Stewart & Sordell on, revert to 4-4-2.

Stephens is not worth a place in that side, thought he was hopeless, aimless balls, not looking where he was passing and he has such an important role. How he stayed on the whole game, I don't know.

Felt for Pigott, Powell should have taken him off earlier, not quite up to it.

Sordell did ok when he came on as did Stewart..

Usual shit against Millwall, very frustrated.

Poxy crowd in terms of numbers.
  • On of the worst performances I've seen in years. I was depressed from the moment I heard Yann was out, but that doesnt excuse what came next. Me and my Spanner mate sat there in morose silence watching this shite while the sound in the Irish pub blared out Norwich v Villa. Even though he was winning he was morose because really they weren't much better than us. But it just wasn't any kind of contest. About as feisty as a Prague choral recital. One of the worst football experiences of my life.

Stewart looked interesting. Thought Jacko did his best, but if his team mates can't be assed...

I'm a Chris Powell man through and through but that was a bad call with poor Piggott today. Looks like we should send him to Wimbledon and get Michael Smith back.

Something is seriously wrong at my club.

• Pritchard looked immense against Leicester, today he looked like a lost boy!

Piggot should never have started in a game like today and at the very least should have come off at half time - he was completely out of his depth.

65 minutes gone, I look over hoping that Powell is going to change something and the players weren't even warming up!

3-5-2 at home (which was more 5-3-2) is so defensive, we were so static.

Oh well - that's the day ruined.

Onwards & upwards...
  • Powell said we need to be smarter in the final third, i cant remember a pass being able to be played in the final third because of the fucking long balls

Church should've scored when put through by Sordell. Numerous crosses were woefully inaccurate. When the ball went into feet around the edge of the box nothing seemed to ever happen.
  • Utter shite!!

Pissing around at the back tip tapping the ball sideways cost us the goal.

Hamer is laughable at times the way he bollocks the back four for not providing cover yet he kicked the ball out to Millwall at least three or four times!!

Send Sordell back, stick Piggot out on loan as he's clearly not ready and get a loan player in who gives a f***!!!

Waste of my afternoon with my boys.

Heard it kicked off in Floyd road as well? No suprise
  • Typical performance against Millwall. No fight, no passion, no idea. Can't see where the next point will come from. Absolutely gutted and I have to face those Dingles when I go into the office on Monday
  • Oh dear, sorry an awful lot is wrong, and CP is currently making it worse. Could not believe he started Piggot, and was sadly proved right, did the lad and the team no favours. Though others shit performances were there to help Piggot get away with it. Sorry Chris, put this one firmly down to You.
  • Pritch was poor vs Millwall last season too. He has many enviable qualities but there's nothing he can do about weighing 6 stone wringing wet. Today was one of those days when he just kept getting out muscled, which happens from time to time, and it made him look poor. It was just one of the many things that didn't go our way today.
  • Even with yann we would've lost.
  • How's he start with sordell it should be pigott and when he does pick him he shouldn't have
    Whoever he picks they're pony whatever
  • Sponsored links:

• How the fuck are we supposed to get behind a team who can't get themselves up for a derby?

Anyone who continues to blame the fans and ' atmosphere' for our shocking performances is a fucking idiot.

Defence wasn't bad but everything else was awful. Fucking awful.
  • edited September 2013

Thanks to me choosing to live on another continent and Sky choosing not to televise us much (who can blame them) in the last 12 months I've seen 3 games live, two of which have been gutless defeats to Millwall. Not good for the soul.

It's only one game but it needs to be a watershed moment because everything about it was below the minimal acceptable level.

Felt sorry for Piggott, he was trying too hard and it was a bit of a silly game to choose to give him a full debut. Nothing came off and he looked like he had a terrible game because he actually tried things that didn't come off. Truth is Church was worse because he did virtually nothing at all.

Church did nothing? That's the problem with people who watch games on telly. They end up talking shit.

Not saying you had any viable alternative or that you're less of a fan for living somewhere else. But that's nonsense.

• Anyone who continues to blame the fans and ' atmosphere' for our shocking performances is a fucking idiot

Agree. Strange
  • I blame the fans.
  • What was that sh*t? If there is a positive it's that the game was so poor I found it difficult to care about the outcome. My mind wandered to more interesting issues like ... what's for dinner?

I also started thinking about our poor record versus Millwall. Three hypotheses: 1. It's a statistical anomaly (I'd need to do the maths to check that one but can't be bothered). 2. There is a more competitive 'culture' at Millwall which transcends teams and eras and has a higher influence in derby games relative to skill. 3. As we are historically a more successful, slightly bigger, club than Millwall, when we are in the same division it is more likely to be because they are playing above their 'natural' position (are in a successful period) and/or we are in a slump, giving them an advantage.
  • se9addick said:

Completely awful

Powell has been skating on thin ice for a while. We are bang in trouble and need a change. The football we play is terrible, his decision making ie subs are terrible, he went with a defensive formation for a derby home game. He done well in league one, but he can't sit on his laurels. 1 win in 7 games (would have been 8 had the Donny game carried on) is awful and if you can't see that then I think it is you who needs to have a word with yourself
    So you're basing this in seven games ? How transient is your support ? I think your upset and disappointed with today's results, I am too. But give it a few days, on Wednesday if you genuinely think that we can realistically get rid of Powell and bring in someone who will revolutionise this set of players (because there's no money for any others) then let me know
  • I postponed a holiday to go to this match I will never move my life around for that football club again while Jimenez us holding onto it!
    With the exception of Powell Morro and Church they can all fuck off!

Oh and Jimenez sell up or pay up cos you muppet we are going down !
  • The worst thing is bansley was the last time we scored in the league from actual open play bar a wonder goal. It wasnt just this game we have no creativity is been all of them
  • edited September 2013
    Utter weeds in this game . The manager motivates the team and this was what we get for a derby ? Shameful performance from really crap players . The subs all giggly at half time not warming up probably running away from the sprinklers like children . Pathetic pathetic pathetic . Full on shame