Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Posting before reading.
    Yeah I know it always happens, but it hurts.
    Deflected goal following poor play from Pritchard was the difference. however we didn't really threaten them at all and Yann was a big miss for us. I am in no way inclined to slag off Piggott, he is young, it was a big responsibility today, and he even showed one or two moments of promise. Church ran a lot, but in terms of deadly finishing quality he wasn't able to produce from the couple of three-quarter chances he has.
    We huffed, we puffed, but Millwall huffed and puffed more strongly, and didn't give us a micro-second on the ball.
    Could Powell have done better? The plan, in the absence of Yann, seemed to be to pressure Dunne, but he held up well to everything, credit to the bloke. Could there have been another plan to go into the match with? You tell me. We had substitutes who constructed a plan B, and many will say Stewart should have started, but the call was made for the formation, and we lost.
    The question, as so often, is do we indulge in an orgy of wrist slashing, make wholesale changes, sack the manager or what?
    Well in my view we don't sack the manager. His resources are what they are, and the result is what we're currently getting. Somehow we are going to have to punch above our weight, or our best 11 have to be fit and on top form for every match, which would probably be good enough.
    We have to knuckle down once more or throw in the towel, there are no credible changes to be made without new ownership, so for me the only choice is to knuckle down. I say park the bus at Burnley and try for a clean sheet to start off with.
  • Options
    V Burnley a team of:

Alnwick (might as well)

Solly
    Morro
    Wood
    Evina

Stewart
    Cousins
    Jackson
    Harriott

Kermo
    Church
  • Options
    dizzee said:

V Burnley a team of:

Alnwick (might as well)

Solly
    Morro
    Wood
    Evina

Stewart
    Cousins
    Jackson
    Harriott

Kermo
    Church

Doesn't sound as though Solly will make this one and no guarantee that Yann will either....but like your midfield !

• Options
    To be fair their goal was a shocker and should have been avoided.
    Not sure what Pritch was thinking but defence should have managed it. Also seemed a poor one for Hamer to let in.
    Hamer needs competition, the way we are playing we need a reliable keeper. His kicking was woeful.
    Piggott isn't ready. Surprised Sordell didn't start. Jackson seems to have slowed down even more. At one point my gran could have beat him in a race for the ball in the corner and she's six feet under.
    Hoping it's a blip.
  • Options

Not sure what Pritch was thinking but defence should have managed it. Also seemed a poor one for Hamer to let in.
    Hamer needs competition, the way we are playing we need a reliable keeper. His kicking was woeful.
    Piggott isn't ready. Surprised Sordell didn't start. Jackson seems to have slowed down even more. At one point my gran could have beat him in a race for the ball in the corner and she's six feet under.
    Hoping it's a blip.

Take your points but regarding MS, you obviously missed Hudders last Tues night !

• Options
    dizzee said:

V Burnley a team of:

Alnwick (might as well)

Solly
    Morro
    Wood
    Evina

Stewart
    Cousins
    Jackson
    Harriott

Kermo
    Church

Stick with Hamer, Wilson for Solly (not available) and put in Stephens to play 4-5-1 if Kermorgant not fit... this formation worked last season away from home and we have two decent wingers now.

If Sordell is as hungry as he looked when he came on then him and Church but some say that doesn't work?

• Options
    Think I must've watched a different game. It certainly wasn't the worst performance in years, it was just very very average.

It was the first game I've watched this season and I thought our passing and movement was a lot better than last season we just didn't have enough going forward. I thought 3-5-2 was working with Wiggins and Wilson looking good. Yes Harriott and Stewart looked good when they came on but I think it made the team worse.

Our biggest problem was sideways passing and giving the ball away which I hold Stephens and Pritchard responsible. Also Piggott wasn't up to much but it was his debut so I'm not going to blame him.

Hamer was shit.

We didn't deserve to win but didn't deserve to lose and probably would have won if Kermorgant was fit. And if Stephens was injured.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Uboat said:

Sordell not fit to lace BWP's boots? Really?

Bit harsh on Church too.

If someone was to tell me we could swap BWP for Sordell I wouldn't even think about it. BWP all day every day. At least he'd want to be here.
  • Options
    Did Stephens play?
  • Options
    Embarrassed to admit that I did watch it on Sky with father of Grumpy who is even more grumpy than me. I refuse to pay to attend live matches put on at 12.15 only for the convenience armchair TV fans . It ruins live football and it did today. As a spectacle for any neutral, that match was a joke; devoid of skill, passion, atmosphere or goalmouth action.

Agree that is was a woeful performance but just don't understand the shock/horror as that was no worse than 80% of home games I have seen over the last two season and actually significantly better than Doncaster and Middlesborough this season and Burnley (I think) and Notts Forest last season.

Pritchard, Jackson and Stephens made probably the weakest midfield trio in this division last season and if anything poor Jacko is even slower this season. Without any quality in midfield we will continue to struggle.

One Interesting thing about watching us on TV is that when we are in possession you only see one red shirt on the entire TV screen- the man with the ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought 3-5-2 was working with Wiggins and Wilson looking good.

I also agree that 3-5-2 has been working, Leicester and Watford prove that (a team who gets four points from those two dont go to being a bad side overnight)

Only thing I couldnt understand from today which was why did nearly every attacking move / every cross go through Wiggins, I felt it made us very transparent and until the 60th min barely saw anything go through Wilson
  • Options
    I'll take the positives, France is very enjoyable at this time of year.
  • Options

1StevieG said:

Uboat said:

Bit harsh on Church too.

If someone was to tell me we could swap BWP for Sordell I wouldn't even think about it. BWP all day every day. At least he'd want to be here.
    That's bizarre. BWP was crap in the Championship. Plus we were always hearing how lazy and uninterested he was when he was here.
  • Options

I thought 3-5-2 was working with Wiggins and Wilson looking good.

I also agree that 3-5-2 has been working, Leicester and Watford prove that (a team who gets four points from those two dont go to being a bad side overnight)

Only thing I couldnt understand from today which was why did nearly every attacking move / every cross go through Wiggins, I felt it made us very transparent and until the 60th min barely saw anything go through Wilson
    Because Wilson was hiding for a change
  • Options

Hoping it's a blip.

The ball took a deflection off Dervite. Hamer was wrong footed and had no chance.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

1StevieG said:

Uboat said:

Bit harsh on Church too.

That's bizarre. BWP was crap in the Championship. Plus we were always hearing how lazy and uninterested he was when he was here.
    Church probably covered more kilometers in one game than BWP did in one season.
  • Options
    The biggest game of the swason for both supporters and players, a south london derby, lots of pride at stake. What a huge pile of the biggest pile of manure I have ever seen. Im so bloody angry, too nice in midfield and in defence we learn as children not to pass it around the 18 yrd box so why do it, 2 shots all game, shambles! millwall showed their intent by bailey shooting from 40yrds in opening 5 mins. A lot of times I was wishing for a cross from deep and we got a square ball, we are not barcelona ffs, too much pass, pass, pass and it cost us a goal. Drinking wine as I speak im soo upset, 17 years for a victory over that lot is too long
  • Options
    it was a rubbish game, we were rubbish Millwall were just above being rubbish .. it was bad enough watching on the TV as I could not get down to London today, I am pleased to say .. my sympathies to y'all who sat through that rubbish .. Burnley next week ... Can't wait to see if Powell has learnt any lessons and puts out a side with the intention of playing some football ... MR POWELL .. 3 5 2 IS RUBBISH WE DON'T HAVE THE PLAYERS TO MAKE IT WORK GO BACK TO 4 4 2 OR WE ARE F**********ED ROUGHLY
  • Options
    Same old shit every time we play them. Never turn up. Does it hurt these players??? Because it certainly hurts the fans who turn up to watch a gutless performance. No bottle or desire. Pissed off hearing the same old bollocks pre match and at supporters meetings from the players about how they are up for it bah bah bah. Words mean nothing it putting in a performance on the day is whats its all about.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It's the Sky Sports film editor I feel sorry for. Imagine trying to find 90 seconds of highlights in that shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Hoping it's a blip.

The ball took a deflection off Dervite. Hamer was wrong footed and had no chance.
    Thanks for clearing that up Len, was difficult to tell from West stand. But Hamer doesn't seem to inspire confidence at the moment and his kicking was shocking.
    Was also shocked by the poor attendance. Sadly can't knock the away support or team. A few good performances from their lot, especially the number 11?
    Gutted.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Not what i've seen so far . No.
  • Options
    Dismal, get back v.soon Yann and Chris + some confidence, oh well cu all next week.
  • Options
    We didn't have any sound in the pub, but I noticed the cameras dwelling on the pre match anti-knife crime ceremony. So I've got a thought about this, and please read carefully so as not to misunderstand me.

If the club - everybody from the directors, through the operations team who failed to remind the police that we are paying customers, through Chris Powell and his staff, to all the players down to the last sub, and whoever didnt put Red Red Robin on - had put half as much effort in to getting every other aspect of this game right, as they did for the anti-knife crime ceremony, we'd have won that bloody game, easily.

It is the height of arrogance for the club to pay lip service to the importance of this game, while actually telling themselves that its just three points and a pain in the ass fixture. Club people come on here often enough to check on what terrible things Airman Brown writes, but apparently fail to notice that this fixture matters to us far more than nearly every other, and they therefore better move heaven and earth to firstly create the right atmosphere, and then bloody well make sure the players respond to it.

Every single person connected to CAFC should hang their head in shame tonight, and I have no problem with everybody telling them so, so long as we spread the blame far and wide, to every corner of the club.

Rant over. Will take the dog for a walk and see if it calms me down. Probably not.

• Options
    Thing is I know people say there's only so much a manager can do but if you watch your team hopelessly thumping the ball upfield then when you get to HT or even on the touchline then orders should be to keep the ball. It's honestly beginning to look like that's powells tactics. I can't defend today from players or management. Complete dog shit.
  • Options
    Come on, we always perform like this against Millwall, and we always lose.

Anyone that is horrified and/or shocked has obviously not been to anything like enough derby games involving Charlton.

Get over it. There was a thread predicting that we would perform just like we did last week, anyone that thought we were going to win shouldn't be allowed out without supervision!
  • Options
    It was Also like this against boro and donny and to a fair extent Leicester- it's not just the millwall game. It's just that the millwall result hurts more.

We've been hoofing it all year
  • Options
    Watched on TV. Just so poor. Millwall were better but not by a great deal.

Made it clear that 3-5-2 is just an option for us, not a solution for the rest of the season. So different to the Leicester game in which it seemed to really suit us. When a team are getting back in numbers and playing a bit more cautiously we don't have the width or quality to break them down.

Up front we have no alternative to Yann. He had the choice of starting Sordell after another reportedly poor performance against Huddersfield, or giving Pigott his first league start against Millwall. It's great seeing young players get a chance but Pigott is clearly not ready to be starting yet - if we had the funds he'd have surely been out on loan in League 2 just as Michael Smith is. If Powell had the funds I don't think Pigott would be more than 5th choice.

Worst I've seen Pritchard play. Out muscled, poor ball control and passing. Stephens was ok at times but don't think he's right for us - we need to play with energy and a high tempo, Stephens naturally slows things down.

Time for Cousins to get a run of games alongside Jackson. He's big enough not to get out muscled like Pritchard and looks far more energetic and mobile than our other CMs. Has looked comfortable on the ball and as I've said before he's an intelligent player. He's closer to Championship standard than Pigott at the moment for me. Thought that before today but no reason to mention it while he's making progress with the odd appearance off the bench.

We got quite a few crosses in but most were dealt with very comfortably by Millwall.

More tough games coming up, thankfully there seems to 3/4 teams just as poor as us in this division. Can't see it being as tight as last season. We had a good run at the end of last season playing 4-4-2 - time to give it another go with Stewart and Cousins starting? Hope to see Yann and Solly back very soon as well.
  • Options
    I'd start cousins, Harriott, Stewart even Evina next game. Seems some of our players think they are undroppable.
  • Options
    Agree VG