Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    If a Millwall player had given us the ball as Pritchard did, would we have scored from it? I doubt it very much, because we have no one who can push forward with pace and ride a couple of tackles before shooting.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

There is a momentous gap between the good players in our squad and those who are there to make up the numbers.

Piggot, were he not a charlton youth graduate would have been booed off the pitch. Unbelievably out of his depth. Makes me wonder how poor Sordell must be in training?

People will still speak of Stephens "potential" when he is 65.

I get annoyed when people have a go at players for passing round the back but today they passed round the back til they lost it.

We missed Yann.

This!

Why was Yann still on the pitch vs Watford after the second knock to his ankle? Not like we have any cover!

Passing the ball around is great as long as you have players with pace and guile up front who can beat the defence when the ball does come through - shame we had to wait for the last twenty minutes to see the wingers who can beat people for fun come on.

• Options
    No surprises that I feel as bad as the rest of you & thoroughly depressed.

I posted the other day that IF Yann wasn't fit today, then maybe the "new" formation should be given a rest until he's back - couldn't see anyone we currently have on the books doing what The Beast does so well . But alas, the burden was put firmly on young Joe's shoulders and as a result, I feel his confidence may be well & truly shaken.

For me, our midfield is way too fragile. OK - Pritch had a bad one but this rarely happens so could maybe forgive him. But , although I hate to admit it, JJ's frailties were highlighted in the same game , and with Stephens hardly covering himself in glory, that area of the pitch was no where near strong enough IMHO.

Add to this the fact that Rhoys looks as though he's carrying some extra pounds since his hernia op and the conundrum that is our 'keeper and what do you have ? Nil points as they say on Eurovision.

An earlier post indicated that we shouldn't blame our situation on injuries as a good manager will "manage" to get the best out of the remainder of his squad and tweak it accordingly. So perhaps this was a game to bring in Gower to add a bit of oomph in the middle or Cousins who hasn't put a foot wrong when he's been involved thus far ....I know - it's easy to be wise after the event but I was not the only calling for 2 or 3 of our young guns to enter the fray at halftime.

I noticed that all 3 of Millwall's subs were this season's recruits, albeit that Morison was an old new boy and I'm sure that if I bothered to do my homework, there were others already on the pitch. Not saying that the opposition was much better than the home team but there looked to be a certain freshness to their players ie the desire to show what they could do. What does this tell us ?

Too many questions and not enough solutions. A dilemma for SCP with our lack of proven strikers and his hands tied as far as the loan market is concerned ?

Then we have the contract situation ( or rather lack of) which I believe at Bromley's meeting was said to be having an inevitable effect on the players involved , the fact that Sordell didn't know he was coming to SE7 and as a result, has still to settle in plus the missing "fans" in the home ends and the state of the Club's finances - added together, what do you have ?

Not a lot.

In conclusion, I feel that a number of things made this afternoon a non event, just as we really knew it would be. Players & supporters not turning up, injuries, our track record in this local derby, lack of money to invest in the squad and finally, managerial decisions on the day. In SCP I DO trust but on this occasion , and with the performance at Huddersfield taken into consideration , I have to admit that I was disappointed in his choice of starters /gameplan. But, as always, I'll add " What do I know ?"

I shall be at Burnley next Saturday & hoping fervently for some light at the end of this increasingly dark tunnel.

Onwards & onwards !

• Options
    Abysmal as expected.

Until we get a midfielder who's willing to go passed the opposition midfield we will continue to pose absolutely no threat from midfield. Another season of long ball becons. What gets me is the few minutes Iv seen of cousins he wants to give and go, exactly whatwe're missing?
  • Options
    I agree that the players do care, they are trying to a man. However they are certainly not succeeding.

The Leicester game aside we just don't look good enough. It's early days still, but we are playing like a team that has relegation written all over it. I hate myself for this comment on many levels.

Then I look at the squad and say to myself that it's basically last years players, we will be fine, there are worse teams in this league, which there are.

Then I hear another voice in my head that says " nah, we are too good to go down". Oh dear really?
  • Options
    We have league 1 players today and some (piggot) looked non league... Gutless performance.
  • Options
    Utterly, utterly pathetic performance.
    Genuinely one of the most wretched, clueless performances I have witnessed in the past 40 years.
    Shameful to serve up that shite against an exceedingly ordinary Millwall team.

• Options
    Good points are that wood and Pritchard played well (except pritchards gaff for the goal) bad points are that wood and Pritchard were taken off when Stephens should have gone with Piggott. Powell keeps faith with people and this may pay off in the long run but it has not in the past (wright -Phillips a case in point) We played well enough for a draw no doubt; they were no better than us except in the last 20 mins. I thought for such an important player Dale stephens let him and us down today. His head just was not there . Hamer is a great shot stopper but finds it difficult when not placed well to respond to slow balls out of nowhere; he should have done better. I thought most other players played well; Wiggins,Morrison,Wilson,Jackson,harriot,stewart,sordell, and we cant over-react to this because as a whole the performance was ok but lacking in bite; for some unknown reason after a good 20 minutes in the first half they switched off and let millwall come on to them and there lies their basic error. I am sure that was not the game plan but that is what happened. And yes we missed yann
  • Options
    Keeping possession is fine however it was sideways passing, no creativity or positivity to move the ball forward as they didn't know what to do with the ball.

Saw an interesting stat that it is no clean sheets in 16 home league games now, our last clean sheet at home was Peterborough in November 2012 and we still haven't kept a clean sheet this season, that has to change pretty soon as we don't have the personal to keep chasing games.

Powell made errors in his tactics and subs today, I hope he learns from them, this was a Millwall side humiliated 5-1 at home 7 days ago and are now 2 wins on the bounce I hope we see a similar reaction in the next couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Business as usual. Most of the team simply did not bother to turn up, for 90 minutes at least, against Millwall.

The goal was unlucky and could not be legislated for but the undisputed fact is that Hamer had rather more "proper" saves to make than Forde. I expect to be corrected but I can only remember Forde saving from Church, a lovely ball by Sordell giving him the chance incidentally, and Cameron Stewart almost at the death. A shot from Jackson over the bar in the first half and a similar one from Stephens at the start of the second. That's it. You don't win or draw matches if you don't work the keeper.

I felt sorry for the Pig. Something of a furnace in which to make your first league start (as distinct to appearance). It will be interesting to see how he reacts. Harriott and Morrison looked like they wanted it, Jackson and Pritchard worked hard but not particularly effectively.

As for the rest very poor and disappointing. Stephens back to 20 minutes on 70 minutes off being the worst offender. Not many players were moving to receive the ball from throw ins but he was the only one I saw outrightly refuse it!

If there were 10,000 Charlton fans there today I'll be amazed and why, despite promises to the contrary, was Red, Red Robin relegated to an afterthought yet again? Who wants rid of it? It's happened too often now to be "technical faults" or whatever other crappy excuse can be dreamed up.

Powell has got some work to do to keep this lot from being relegated. I think he is the best man to do that but today was absolutely dire!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Burnley
    Forest
    Blackpool
    Blackburn
    Wigan

I shudder to think how many points we will have after that.

Well that will be 12 points then.

Nothing wrong with having a dream, now let's have another pint.

• Options
    Next time we play them can we have 2 pre-match threads.
    1 for us realists that know that you could put 11 ballet dancers in millwall shirts and we'd still brick it, and another for all the "it's our time" "never a better time to play them" "believe" bollocks.
  • Options
    Embarrassing and Appalling are what I have constantly been saying/texting since the final whistle.

Set Pieces were an absolute disgrace. Catching practice for the keeper.

Passing at times was just a shambles, I didn't know what I was more angered with the poor quality short passing or the give up and hoof ball. The simple passes today were either not getting made or were shocking when they did come.

The by passing of the midfield because they simply don't move enough or don't come and pick the ball up from the back constantly infuriated me.

When Hamer has claimed the ball and want's to get rid of it I honestly think it looks like a clown show. Stuttering to kick/throw it, players sort of wanting him to pass it to them but then not and others just running off.

Where were the tackles?! We would surround a Millwall player with 2/3 players and we still couldn't get the ball because our lot had no desire to get stuck in and win the flipping thing! Lost out on first and second balls all game, no guts.

If you are going to have 2 wing backs in a 3-5-2 then they have to be able to offer more than defending. Wiggins always got into the danger zone but did squat with it, he looked so out his depth trying to deliver a ball into the box. As for Wilson, he is awful, when does he ever show a good side to his game? Cross a ball? tackle? Header? Sick of seeing him playing and shying away from anything where he has to compete, even if he goes up for a header he doesn't ever look like he wants to.

Pritch had his worst game today, but even in previous games I just want to shake him and say "calm.down!". Always hoofing it when he has time to get on the ball and look around.

Church, JJ and Morro are the only players I have thought they did enough not to be grouped with all the other gutless and talentless performers out there today. I hated all the "we are ready and fired up for the game" dross during the week, it's boring and makes me angrier looking back on it because I have been coming away from most derby games recently going "they looked like they couldn't give a sh*t".

Why did Piggott start? Was clearly not going to impose himself and the more that didn't go right for him the more it was getting worse for the kid, I hope his confidence hasn't been kicked out of him.

What's worse is Millwall look bad and they still did more than us.

Worried.com
  • Options
    Yes the red robin being blanked out is outrageous
  • Options

Pritchard played well

Thank you for summing up how deluded some of our fans are...
  • Options
    Really missed Kermorgant today. Indeed, today showed, not for the first time, just how limited we can be when in possession. We need to pass the ball much better, but the crowd's occasional lack of patience with any ball retention which isn't immediately progressive really doesn't help.

They dealt easily with the long ball and pressed our back three really well. Unfortunately, Beevers totally dominated Pigott. Our lack of quality meant we weren't able to exploit the space between the lines which their press created. Bailey harried very effectively and made life very difficult for Pritchard who came back down to earth with a bump today.

I had expected Chris Powell to switch to 4-4-2 at half time, but when he eventually did so about 15 minutes into the second half Lomas immediately brought Morison on. This turned out to be a very smart move. The game then opened up, as expected, but it was Millwall who looked the more likely to score.

Both Sordell and Stewart showed promise when they came on. Harriott was lively, as ever, but needs to show more poise. We never really looked like equalising.

Must have been a grim affair for Sky viewers. Two below average teams. Their game plan worked. Ours didn't.
  • Options
    For me, the lack of a proper written response from the club is woeful. I want a proper statement released with the staff and players formally apologising to the fans. I want to see fire and passion from CP. I honestly don't think his heart is in it. Which is sad.

Pritchard tries, but today was turd. I would try if I played for charlton, but that wouldn't change the fact I am rubbish. Stephens always had my support regarding potential, but I have had it now. Wiggins obviously wants out as he is a different player now. Piggot will take months to recover from that - his confidence will be shot. Wrong team selection and tactics. Totally inept.

• Options
    Why do you want that Damo? It's just another game.

We were crap, line up was crap but we don't need special treatment or statements because it's that lot.
  • Options
    BOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Options
    So angry after watching that shite. We could all see the game plan wasn't working and the tactics were wrong, why did it take the bench so long to change things up? After the impact they made midweek and again today, why Harriot and Stewart didn't start it a mystery
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With Solly and Yann back, Cousins in Midfield and Harriot and or Stewart wide we'll be a different team. One good win is all it will take to kick start our season and make us wonder what we were getting so worried about. We've got to keep our heads and work our way through it without panicking. Everyone had a shocker today including Powell, but we've got the makings of a very good team. But we can't go out trying not to lose games, we have to be more positive especially at home.
  • Options
    We get rid of Wright Phillips , Haynes and Fuller and replace them with a lad who isn't ready to play at this level and two strikers who couldn't lace those three's boots.
    Blame who you like but that's our problem .
  • Options
    Did anyone else pick up on a commentary comment about our ball retention warm up before the game?
  • Options
    Sordell not fit to lace BWP's boots? Really?
  • Options

We need to pass the ball much better, but the crowd's occasional lack of patience with any ball retention which isn't immediately progressive really doesn't help.

Yep, we spend all week on the Internet moaning about hoof ball and then all the match on Saturday moaning every time a player passes sideways or backwards. Can't have it both ways.

• Options

We need to pass the ball much better, but the crowd's occasional lack of patience with any ball retention which isn't immediately progressive really doesn't help.

Yep, we spend all week on the Internet moaning about hoof ball and then all the match on Saturday moaning every time a player passes sideways or backwards. Can't have it both ways.

Hate listening to people around me shouting FORWARD... I know footballers arent always the brightest but am pretty sure they know which direction they should be attacking
  • Options
    I said I'd be deleting the sky+ and not buying a sunday paper and I was right.

Utter dross and I won't bother turning up for that fixture in future as I know the team can't be arsed....Church ran around a lot, but is really just Gary Nelson in disguise, felt sorry for Jacko who looked the only one who actually cared and tried to do it all
  • Options
    Bubble said:

Did anyone else pick up on a commentary comment about our ball retention warm up before the game?

What was that?
  • Options

It's all well and good passing it sideways and backwards but occasionally it has to go forward! We were so static which forced us to play it sideways and backwards, movement off the ball was lacking an that is something that needs to be addressed on the training field...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Uboat said:

Sordell not fit to lace BWP's boots? Really?

Bit harsh on Church too.