Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    I have a bit of a theory about the performance of some players.

There is no doubt CP has his favourites.There is nothing intrinsically wrong with this. (Curbs was the same.)

However, Curbs was known to drop his favourites, if they didn't perform. Even if only for one game.

Earlier in the season, there were a lot of calls for Morro to be dropped. Then CP changed the formation to 3-5-2, and Morro's performances dramatically improved. Now, after a poor performance, people are saying that the formation was wrong.

But I digress.

The point I am making, is that the favourites can play badly, but know they are safe.

The players who aren't in CP's favourites, are terrified of making a mistake, because they know they will get dropped. So an aura of caution sets in for some, and an aura of indifference sets in for others.

And, to make it worse, players like Cousins make NO mistakes, and STILL get dropped.
  • Options
    Not sure why the confusion over Stephens' performance. Let me break it down, Stephens is a MIDFIELDER. And his main role is PASSER. So the fact that he spent most of the game in front of the 18 yard box passing back to Hamer means he had a BAD game.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Croydon said:

LenGlover said:

There seems to be a not very subtle plot to get rid of Red, Red Robin and it pisses me off.

I know the young "flare" lot despise it and it is their right to have that opinion but to remove it and take us for mugs by denying that they are is an insult to those of us who respect the traditions of the Club.

*awaits sarcastic comments but don't give a shit! Let's be having you as Delia said!*

Len, I'm one of these younger fans and I love it. Will have it played at my funeral. I have never seen a comment or heard anyone say they despise it

Agree totally. I'm one of the younger fans too and I know of no-one who despises it, young or old. It is bizarre that it's disappearing somewhat this season? Anyone know what's happening with it?
  • Options
    Does it or does it mean lack of movement, players hiding in front of him. Or centre backs pumping balls over his nut for 90mins
  • Options

Think I must've watched a different game. It certainly wasn't the worst performance in years, it was just very very average.

It was the first game I've watched this season and I thought our passing and movement was a lot better than last season we just didn't have enough going forward. I thought 3-5-2 was working with Wiggins and Wilson looking good. Yes Harriott and Stewart looked good when they came on but I think it made the team worse.

Our biggest problem was sideways passing and giving the ball away which I hold Stephens and Pritchard responsible. Also Piggott wasn't up to much but it was his debut so I'm not going to blame him.

Hamer was shit.

We didn't deserve to win but didn't deserve to lose and probably would have won if Kermorgant was fit. And if Stephens was injured.

Christ. I'll have some of what you're on mate.
  • Options

Gonna be controversial here.
    I am by and large a fogey and traditionalist but, whisper it, I don't miss the Red, red robin.
    It's dated, twee and embarrassing.
    Sorry Len!

As I said everyone is entitled to an opinion.

What annoys me is firstly that they are obviously marginalising it without consulting the fans by playing it quietly as an afterthought but secondly that they lie about it!

Red, Red Robin will be back loud and clear for the Millwall game was posted on here so who told them not to?
  • Options
    I watched the game on telly (I'm on crutches atm , excuses excuses excuses ) but I definitely heard The Red Red Robin and me and my boy who watched the game sung it!
  • Options
    Why doesn't Cousins play?
  • Options
    Fuck off Charlton and Powell with your shit tactics
  • Options

I have a bit of a theory about the performance of some players.

There is no doubt CP has his favourites.There is nothing intrinsically wrong with this. (Curbs was the same.)

However, Curbs was known to drop his favourites, if they didn't perform. Even if only for one game.

Earlier in the season, there were a lot of calls for Morro to be dropped. Then CP changed the formation to 3-5-2, and Morro's performances dramatically improved. Now, after a poor performance, people are saying that the formation was wrong.

But I digress.

The point I am making, is that the favourites can play badly, but know they are safe.

The players who aren't in CP's favourites, are terrified of making a mistake, because they know they will get dropped. So an aura of caution sets in for some, and an aura of indifference sets in for others.

And, to make it worse, players like Cousins make NO mistakes, and STILL get dropped.

You make some points here, have to say I don't agree with them because I wouldn't know:

a) Who CP's 'favourites' are.
    b) If there are favourites how they 'know they are safe'.
    c) Who is not a 'favourite'
    d) Who plays with fear (terrified)
    e) Who plays with caution
    and
    f) Who has the indifferent attitude.

Cousins has hardly had a lot of game time to make your judgements I reckon, and the implication is that Cousins isn't a so called CP 'favourite'. CP has introduced the lad to first team football, do you think that is to make Cousins eventually play with either fear, caution or indifference?

We are all hurting a lot tonight, but I am afraid I don't agree with your analysis of CP and his attitude towards his players.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2013
    The reason Cousins has been on the bench in my opinion has nothing to do with what he has or hasn't done.

Powell, like many on here, thinks Stephens can do a creative job and with Jackson who is a talisman in the side too Pritchard has to play to do the running for the other two.

I would drop Stephens and play Jackson, Pritchard and Cousins with one of Harriott or Stewart in a four and both in a five.

That would give us more pace and energy which is effective at this level. All about opinions though!
  • Options
    Mike said:

Fuck off Charlton and Powell with your shit tactics

Calm down fella

• Options
    I went up to the Meridian for a pint after the match. Overheard a Charlton fan say to a Millwall fan, "the thing is, we was badder than you were". Summed it up for me.
  • Options
    We won't score without Yann this year I fear. The young subs were the best part of the game, I think this year we're going to have to rely more on using youngsters with pace, energy and enthusiasm. I would really like that in a way as I feel they haven't had that much chance lately but it could bite us in the arse.

Not the best return to Valley for 4 years.
  • Options
    Christ!!! As an outsider looking in your views on football are sometimes shall we say just shit.. Yes I might not be Charlton but I will probably go to more games this season that many of you die hard Charlton boys will.... This game was lost before they came out but what never helped was (and i'm not digging any group) The shit support, Over a third of the ground was empty and there is no way way everyone of those seats were empty for good reason. If I can take the trouble to go to a match of that magnitude then surely the home supporters can. I will go back to when West Ham played millwall in the cup and all the trouble kicked off.... Many on here were laughing at the fat West Ham fan offering them out...... Today there was nothing from Charlton, not their players, not their managers and certainly not their fans..................... I'm not digging anyone but things really need to change, your home ground should be a fortress.... Not only on the pitch but every where. Sorry for the rant but I really expected more ... Oh and before you start shouting I'm West Ham........ I was there today................ So many wasn't
  • Options
    uncle said:

Christ!!! As an outsider looking in your views on football are sometimes shall we say just shit.. Yes I might not be Charlton but I will probably go to more games this season that many of you die hard Charlton boys will.... This game was lost before they came out but what never helped was (and i'm not digging any group) The shit support, Over a third of the ground was empty and there is no way way everyone of those seats were empty for good reason. If I can take the trouble to go to a match of that magnitude then surely the home supporters can. I will go back to when West Ham played millwall in the cup and all the trouble kicked off.... Many on here were laughing at the fat West Ham fan offering them out...... Today there was nothing from Charlton, not their players, not their managers and certainly not their fans..................... I'm not digging anyone but things really need to change, your home ground should be a fortress.... Not only on the pitch but every where. Sorry for the rant but I really expected more ... Oh and before you start shouting I'm West Ham........ I was there today................ So many wasn't

Uncle,

Was you sitting in the NW area today?
  • Options
    sorry Uncle its a well written bit but at the mo dont need a west ham fan telling me whats wrong with my team or support---raw nerves etc
  • Options

sorry Uncle its a well written bit but at the mo dont need a west ham fan telling me whats wrong with my team or support---raw nerves etc

Agreed!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Millwall came to work hard and compete - which they did. As the home team it was up to us assert ourselves onto them but where as a sharp passing team would have murdered them, we were ponderous and undecisive. Piggot was totally bullied and dominated ny the Millwall defenders and I thought it was incredible, he was not replaced after 30 minutes.

Chrissy waits - sometimes I wonder what he is waiting for. When something is not working, it never starts working so why wait for opponents to get the inevitable goal!

Away from home and against good sides 3 -5-2 can be effective, where we keep it tight at the back and try to catch teams, who leave themselves a bit open due to their ambition. When we have to do the running it doesn't work so well. Millwall were not very good - that isn't bitterness - just an observation. They worked hard and deprived us of time and space, that is what the Yeovils and Barnsleys will do. It was clear quite early in the first half that we were not getting through them - we needed to take off a centre half bring on a forward or midfielder.

The extra centre half was effectively just an other pass in that game - It didn't add anything. Nobody too k responsibility - an example being Morrison having the ball with a bit of space to move it forwards, but deciding to pass to Wood allowing an opponent to pressure him -so effectively passing to somebody in a worse position!

Also, whe 1 minute additional time signalled in first half - it was painful to watch us passing it around until the whistle blew with an inability to lob a ball in. I was wondering what the IQ level of the side is!

We did look a bit better when Piggot came off but god do we miss Kermogant and to a certain extent Cort (set pieces).

I have one message to Chrissy - you have to make changes quicker. They may not work but you know what is happening now isn't working so always worth doing something to change the dynamic!!!!
  • Options

Gonna be controversial here.
    I am by and large a fogey and traditionalist but, whisper it, I don't miss the Red, red robin.
    It's dated, twee and embarrassing.
    Sorry Len!

It's been drowned out by Since I was young
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's not written by a west ham fan... It's written by someone who's got a love for Charlton... I don't go to Charlton as an observer for West Ham . I go because I have a strange love for Charlton.
  • Options
    saw a Millwall mate tonight who was at the game. Took the ribbing. He picked up on Hamer's distribution. He also said we were better than they were when Derby beat them. Small crumbs of comfort I know. He said he'll look into it, but statistically we are apparently the losing part of the most one sided derby in England.
  • Options
    Tavern said:

uncle said:

Uncle,

Was you sitting in the NW area today?
    No mate lower west, started out behind the dug out area but ended up next to the scum.... not sure how that happened.
  • Options
    fulham v chelsea , bradford v leeds most one sided
  • Options
    uncle said:

It's not written by a west ham fan... It's written by someone who's got a love for Charlton... I don't go to Charlton as an observer for West Ham . I go because I have a strange love for Charlton.
    That certainly is a strange love. You say we have a shit support but you were there supporting. Does this mean that your support is shit? I suppose it does seeing that your heart is really across the river.
  • Options

I agree apart from the bit about it being well- written.

Pipe down mate, don't need a West Ham fan telling me how to support my team.
  • Options
    uncle said:

Today had nothing to do with our support.
    We are what we are (and some would say thank God for that)
    I'll give up the day we have "some fat bloke offering them out".
    We played like shit and got what we deserved

• Options
    dizzee said:

V Burnley a team of:

Alnwick (might as well)

Solly
    Morro
    Wood
    Evina

Stewart
    Cousins
    Jackson
    Harriott

Kermo
    Church

Solly will be out for a while he needs to be rested for a month by doing nothing with his knee and then if he has the green light to train then he will need to train for at least a couple of weeks
  • Options
    Shite performance

I'm gonna get pelters on Monday at work :(
  • Options
    Same old against the lot.

No tempo, easily the worst millwall side we have lost against in my time.

Pritchard is so typical Charlton. Midget player, will play loads of games for us and yet when it comes to crunch will let us down. But will always turn up for Supporters meetings so beyond criticism

What is point in having Sordell if Powell rates Pigott better.

RRR was not hearable in the West Stand today when previous it has been. Why does the club not own a copy?