Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Transfer Window Summer 2013 (Alnwick In, Green loan out, Stewart loan in)

Comments

• Options
    Makes sense, Powell was on a scouting mission in Spain not long ago I believe
  • Options

23 Jun 2013 17:10:12
    jon obika deal from Tottenham to Charlton 99% done after having a bid accepted source is close to the club

Hope this is true, if he got more time during his loan, I'm sure he would of turned into a top striker, alongside kermorgant

*for the record deals are never 99% done. They are either 100% done or 0% ie not done

Take my word for it Henry. Only believe it when it's on the OS.

To quote Oscar Wilde "I wish I had said that"

: - )
    I think it was one of Wilde's acolytes who said "I wish I had said that", in response to a quip from the master. And Oscar shot back: "You will, dear boy; you will."

Another gem from Wilde that I often think is pertinent to the chat on Charlton Life: "What's the use of an unbiased opinion?"

• Options

jon obika deal from Tottenham to Charlton 99% done after having a bid accepted source is close to the club

Hope this is true, if he got more time during his loan, I'm sure he would of turned into a top striker, alongside kermorgant

*for the record deals are never 99% done. They are either 100% done or 0% ie not done

I think it was one of Wilde's acolytes who said "I wish I had said that", in response to a quip from the master. And Oscar shot back: "You will, dear boy; you will."

Another gem from Wilde that I often think is pertinent to the chat on Charlton Life: "What's the use of an unbiased opinion?"

No, It was James McNeil Whistler, the painter (Whistler's mother, etc) who said something witty to which Wilde said "I wish I'd said that" and Whistler replied "You will Oscar, you will".

Whistler certainly wasn't an "acolyte" of Wilde's. He was one of the most famous painters of his day and a renown wit.
  • Options
    I think it was George Bernard Shaw with the quip and Oscar Wilde said 'I wish I'd said that'. GBS replied 'You will Oscar you will'. Now back to the rumours . . . .
  • Options

I think it was George Bernard Shaw with the quip and Oscar Wilde said 'I wish I'd said that'. GBS replied 'You will Oscar you will'. Now back to the rumours . . . .

What rumours?

NB Wilde, Shaw and McNeil are all players we are interested in. This is a coded messaged. The Truth is out there.

• Options

No, It was James McNeil Whistler, the painter (Whistler's mother, etc) who said something witty to which Wilde said "I wish I'd said that" and Whistler replied "You will Oscar, you will".

Whistler certainly wasn't an "acolyte" of Wilde's. He was one of the most famous painters of his day and a renown wit.
    I know Whistler's paintings, but didn't know he was a wit. It's not inconceivable that Oscar later appropriated the quip for himself.

• Options
    edited June 2013

I know Whistler's paintings, but didn't know he was a wit. It's not inconceivable that Oscar later appropriated the quip for himself.

It is inconceivable as it was recorded as being said by Whistler at the time. : - ) so much so that even Monty Python used it.

He published a book called "the Gentle art of making enemies" with a lot of his letters to papers etc. His court case with the critic Ruskin is full of his witticisms.
  • Options

It is inconceivable as it was recorded as being said by Whistler at the time. : - ) So much so that even Monty Python used it.

He published a book called "the Gentle art of making enemies" with a lot of his letters to papers etc. His court case with the critic Ruskin is full of his witticisms.
  • Options
    Wasn't this from a Monty Python sketch when they insulted the Prince of Wales and then tried to say they were just quoting each other, " you're majesty is like a stream of piss", " what was that Wilde?", " its one of Shaw's", " bloody well wasn't it was Whistler"
  • Options
    Halix said:

Wasn't this from a Monty Python sketch when they insulted the Prince of Wales and then tried to say they were just quoting each other, " you're majesty is like a stream of piss", " what was that Wilde?", " its one of Shaw's", " bloody well wasn't it was Whistler"

It's like the situation in court where two defendants blame each other for the crime. The jury has the option of convicting them both.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only on CL can a rumours page debate a convo between bernard shaw wilde and whistler...
  • Options

What rumours?

NB Wilde, Shaw and McNeil are all players we are interested in. This is a coded messaged. The Truth is out there.

How tall are they? Can they be Charltonised?

• Options
    Jacques Maghomer rumoured to be signing for us in the Sun
  • Options

What rumours?

How tall are they? Can they be Charltonised?

Very good questions. I think we should send them out on loan: Whistler to Chelsea, Wilde to Bloomsbury Rovers, and Shaw to Ayot St Lawrence Academicals.

• Options

Is he a wit, a writer or a painter friend of Oscar Wilde?
  • Options

He's been tweeting quite a bit about Middlesbro, so think he'll be off to The Riverside
  • Options
    I would say that Jacques MagHomer is a poet of epic proportions!
  • Options

I would say that Jacques MagHomer is a poet of epic proportions!

Excellent! Didn't there used to be a nightclub at The Valley called 'Legends'? It's all Greek to me....

• Options
    It's a complete Odyssey to me - Virgil-ing on the ridiculous!
  • Options
    I hear he has an Achilles problem
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Iliad better stop now and get down to some work....
  • Options
    Sounds like all is quiet at #cafc. No deals imminent.
    Cawley.
  • Options
    I'm Troying to think of a pun to add to the list...
  • Options
    Is Cawley still banned from pressers at charlton?
  • Options
    DeeBee said:

Is Cawley still banned from pressers at charlton?

No
  • Options
    Not saying that he is wrong but there may be a reluctancy to talk to journos
  • Options
    Hopefully something is in the pipeline but all at #cafc don't want added competition before everything is signed.

That's the most positive way possible of looking at it right?
  • Options
    Or that all players return to respective clubs by friday this week for pre season and out of contract players after june 30 are free agents at the end of next week
  • Options
    There may be some development on the Obika front. Apparently, Millwall have made enquiries to his availability, along with RB Adam Smith.
  • Options
    Where the fuck are Millwall getting all this cash from?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!